rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Amercia's war on women: medical research funding edition

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-med...es-kill-us

Once again we are shown in the illustration America's patriarchal oppression of women. What was once relegated to psychological warfare of making women "feel bad about themselves" if they were 30 pounds overweight has turned into a calculated, systematic undermining of the literal physical health of American women. The American Cancer Society has neglected a disease so much that even the pink bats forced on MLB players and pink cleats forced on NFL players has allowed 41k deaths.

As a type 1 diabetic, this infographic really pissed me off. The average American would likely believe the greatest threats to our health are fatassness and breast cancer. The amount of whales dropping dead at 60 and the inundation of breath cancer awareness month only makes these assumptions understandable. But in my selfishness I was shocked to see the discrepancy in money raised vs deaths for diabetes and breast cancer. Breast cancer research was given 64.5 times as much money while diabetes kills 57% more people per year.

One thing is absolutely irrefutable -- women's health is unequivocally the number one priority in the American medical community.

While Type 1 diabetes is unfortunately an exception and is completely out of your hands, the majority of diabetes patients, and indeed diabetes-related deaths, are Type 2 diabetes and are largely preventable by not being an enormous fatass. If type 1 diabetes was separated it would be a blip on this chart. Being an enormous fatass is also a big part of that "heart diseases" section.

While I agree that breast cancer is completely overfunded, realize that it's largely treatable. The majority of people who get it don't die, largely because of the huge amounts of funds that go into treatment and diagnostic efforts. It's also extraordinarily common in women.

Ironically, being overweight puts you at a higher risk of getting cancer. There is a direct link to the American Cancer Society's info on it here.

It reads, in part: "Obesity is associated with increased risks of cancers of the esophagus, breast (postmenopausal), endometrium (the lining of the uterus), colon and rectum, kidney, pancreas, thyroid, gallbladder, and possibly other cancer types."

So a campaigning against obesity would be a way to prevent breast cancer. In other words, more fat shaming = less breast cancer. Among other things.

I am completely in agreement. The most evil and nefarious claim by "fat activists" is that the effects of being a gigantic creature on health aren't well characterized. We (scientists and the medical field) know with certainty that in nearly every conceivable manner being overweight is objectively bad for your health.

Quote: (08-28-2014 03:05 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

Ironically, being overweight puts you at a higher risk of getting cancer. There is a direct link to the American Cancer Society's info on it here.

It reads, in part: "Obesity is associated with increased risks of cancers of the esophagus, breast (postmenopausal), endometrium (the lining of the uterus), colon and rectum, kidney, pancreas, thyroid, gallbladder, and possibly other cancer types."

So a campaigning against obesity would be a way to prevent breast cancer. In other words, more fat shaming = less breast cancer. Among other things.

DOBA, Try telling that to women proud of their "Fat Titties" and "Phat Assets" that if they lost weight their risk for breast cancer will drop. Until then, enjoy the Facebook status updates of low cut tops and thick woman hamsterisms in your local corporate office. As if an E-F cup is actually a good thing....

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Quote: (08-28-2014 03:16 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

DOBA, Try telling that to women proud of their "Fat Titties" and "Phat Assets" that if they lost weight their risk for breast cancer will drop. Until then, enjoy the Facebook status updates of low cut tops and thick woman hamsterisms in your local corporate office. As if an E-F cup is actually a good thing....

I'd tell them, but that would mean talking to fat chicks, which makes a guy's SMV drop by several points.

On a medical note, everyone here should try an experiment my doctor friend told me to do. (Warning: don't do this if you're not in shape!) Put 50 pounds of weight in a backpack. Try going about your day like that: walking up stairs, doing laundry, etc.

Notice the ache you feel in your knees, back, stomach. Notice how you feel weak and exhausted 100 times over. Now imagine your body in that state for ten years. That's what obesity does to your muscles and tendons, and that doesn't even take into account how it puts you at risk for diabetes, cancer, etc.

I have no idea how we got to the place where people are arguing obesity isn't negative. Not good.