rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vladivostok question

Vladivostok question

Has anyone here been to Vladivostok? I could't find any posts here about visits.

It's in a convenient location relative to the rest of Asia, if it's an OK city I might visit.

Vladivostok question

Have you seen this thread?

Vladivostok question

I haven't been but I did a little research on the city when I was considering teaching English in South Korea. I thought it'd be a decent place to visit for a few days, maybe I still will if I end up in Korea someday.

As far as info on the city goes I feel like Skywalker visited it in his book, maybe he has info on his site? I was under the impression that getting a visa to visit Russia could be costly though, so paying just to visit one city could be a pretty poor return on that investment. I may be way off-base though.

Vladivostok question

There isn't much, I looked around for some before. A couple of guys have been through there but not for long periods of time. I remember sending a pm to a guy that was traveling through. How serious are you about taking a look?

Some info that I saw a couple years ago. http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewt...hp?t=14351

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Vladivostok question

I had a girlfriend from Vladivostok once. We are still in very good terms, despite talking very once in a while. I have not been there but I know I will go once day.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-20-2014 01:19 PM)Phoenix Wrote:  

Has anyone here been to Vladivostok? I could't find any posts here about visits.

It's in a convenient location relative to the rest of Asia, if it's an OK city I might visit.

I have been there. It's a convenient location but getting there can be expensive even though the distance is not so big. I took the ferry from Korea.

The city is OK and it has a lot of hot girls according to the talent on the street.
A visit to Vladivostok will not be anything you will regret.

Vladivostok question

The cute chick in this video: [Image: love.gif]

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-20-2014 08:10 PM)Chaos Wrote:  

I have been there. It's a convenient location but getting there can be expensive even though the distance is not so big. I took the ferry from Korea.

The city is OK and it has a lot of hot girls according to the talent on the street.

How much did the ferry cost by chance when you last went?

Plane tickets are expensive! Even with a flight from say Japan or Korea.

Vladivostok question

I know quite a few guys who have been there. Its the main departure point for touring through Siberia by motorcycle (I do a lot of adventure riding). There is a huge motorcycle community there and the bikers are VERY welcoming to international riders.

The joke is that by the time all the paperwork is done importing the bikes you normally want to hit the dirt. Not here. I have seen some epic party photos of three day mini concert benders. It looks like how bikers partied in the 70's and 80's.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-20-2014 08:48 PM)Brosemite Wrote:  

Quote: (08-20-2014 08:10 PM)Chaos Wrote:  

How much did the ferry cost by chance when you last went?

Plane tickets are expensive! Even with a flight from say Japan or Korea.

About 250€. But if I remember right you get a cheaper price if you sleep in a massive dormitory. The trip took 26 hours.

Yeah planes are expensive. That's why I took the ferry.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-20-2014 09:16 PM)Laner Wrote:  

I know quite a few guys who have been there. Its the main departure point for touring through Siberia by motorcycle (I do a lot of adventure riding). There is a huge motorcycle community there and the bikers are VERY welcoming to international riders.

The joke is that by the time all the paperwork is done importing the bikes you normally want to hit the dirt. Not here. I have seen some epic party photos of three day mini concert benders. It looks like how bikers partied in the 70's and 80's.

Damn. I should have gotten in touch with those biker dudes.
My plan was to buy a old Lada and drive all the way home.
I found a guy online who wanted to help me out with everything, he even found a car for me. We agreed to meet up in VVO but when i arrived he flaked on me.
Didn't answer on phone, email or anything.

I still have cravings to do a Crazy Russian Overland Adventure.

Vladivostok question

Yeah I've been looking for datasheet on Vladivostok haven't seen one. I will be heading there maybe next year sometime but would like to get to know the lay of the land.

I know a girl from there through friend of friend and have been chatting with her via Facebook but would like to visit.

I am pretty sure its expensive from Korea or Japan because the planes avoid flying over North Korean air space for obvious reasons.

I've been looking at best ways to get there. Any one with good intel on this place?

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-20-2014 10:21 PM)peterfoo22 Wrote:  

Yeah I've been looking for datasheet on Vladivostok haven't seen one. I will be heading there maybe next year sometime but would like to get to know the lay of the land.

I know a girl from there through friend of friend and have been chatting with her via Facebook but would like to visit.

I am pretty sure its expensive from Korea or Japan because the planes avoid flying over North Korean air space for obvious reasons.

I've been looking at best ways to get there. Any one with good intel on this place?

This might be a good place to go look, there is a forum. I use it once in a while when looking for more travel specific info. Hope it helps. Look further down the page for the forum.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g2984...tions.html

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Vladivostok question

^^ The best way is to fly. You can also take a train from China. Or you can take the ferry from Japan or Korea.

Vladivostok question

Given the proximity to China is there much Mandarin spoken there? I'd be curious. There are other stories I have seen that cities near another country usually have bi-lingual citizens.

Vladivostok question

No. But there is a significant amount of Chiinese students attending the universities there.
I noticed that when I was sneaking around a bit.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-20-2014 10:35 PM)Chaos Wrote:  

^^ The best way is to fly. You can also take a train from China. Or you can take the ferry from Japan or Korea.

It all depends on where you are currently located. (If you are already in one of those Chinese boarder towns, you could take a 20min bus ride to get there [Image: wink.gif] )

But in general fly is the way to go for either VVO or KHV. There are direct flights from ICN, but those are not cheap.

If you are already in PEK (or can get there easily), you can book direct flights on S7 (Siberian Airlines) using British Airways Avios (only 7500 points one way).

Vladivostok question

I've been to Vladivostok twice and will likely be going a third time later in the year for a few months. It was only for a few days each of the first two times, but if you've got any questions I'll try to answer.

Vladivostok question

Bump.

I'm thinking about spending some time in Vladivostok from late spring to early autumn next year.

The time zone suits me to a tee for professional reasons, and I figure i can get some "one on one" conversation lessons to supplement my Russian studies.

Would love to hear what its like, especially over the summer months.

Quality of the girls?

Levels of English?

Overall vibe? Friendliness?

Attitude to foreigners?

Restaurant Bar scene?

Quality of the food?

And last but not least, cost of living.

Vladivostok question

I much preferred the Siberian cities when I visited about six years ago. If you can compromise a bit on the timezone, Irkutsk might be an option. Great nature around Baikal.

Local Siberian/far-eastern produce is good in Summer. Avoid dairy unless it's from a local farm, otherwise it will be diluted with palm oil. Beef and poultry is pretty good these days - look for Miratorg.

All Russian third-tier cities are about the same in terms of cost of living.

Level of English - no idea; I don't speak it in Russia. Aren't you trying to learn Russian?

Try this site for tutors: https://primorie.repetitors.info/repetitor/russian/
Russian for foreigners is called РКИ - русский язык как иностранный
Or search Yandex for: репетиторы по русскому языку как иностранному во владивостоке

Vladivostok question

Cheers DaveR, many thanks. + 1 from me.

Yeah, battling away with Russian. I actually prefer self-study, but I believe conversation is crucial, and reading and writing with bit of help wouldn't go astray, either.

Vladivostok question

Also, how are you planning on staying for more than 90 days? You might be better off getting a student visa so you're not limited by time. Some of the universities offer individual lessons.

Vladivostok question

Small city. Not great. Way better places, not so far.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-25-2018 11:06 AM)DaveR Wrote:  

Also, how are you planning on staying for more than 90 days? You might be better off getting a student visa so you're not limited by time. Some of the universities offer individual lessons.

Yeah, I was going to enrol in a course which would give me the appropriate student visa.

Vladivostok question

Quote: (08-25-2018 01:27 PM)sterlingarcher Wrote:  

Small city. Not great. Way better places, not so far.

What other places that are not so far do you recommend?