rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I'm sure you've all seen by now that your friends/family/celebrities are dumping buckets of ice water on their head and calling people to do the same and donate to the ALS.

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge

I admit it's a great way to raise money for a cause.

The other side of the coin - it feels more like narcissistic self indulgence for social media likes/shares. I'd also throw in Slacktivism.

http://www.vice.com/read/dumping-a-bucke...ropist-813

What are you guys thoughts on this ?

What frustrates me the most is this should be done for veterans charities like Wounded Warrior Project & Team Rubicon.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I am fine with the cause, however, I am, like you, just annoyed at the self-righteousness of the participants, thinking that they actually accomplished something, because I don't know what exactly the "challenge" of this activity is. If you had to sit, submerged up to your neck for one or two minutes, I might be more inclined to agree that it is a challenge.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 12:27 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

What frustrates me the most is this should be done for veterans charities like Wounded Warrior Project & Team Rubicon.

This shouldn't be done for anything unless its backed up by an actual donation or - better yet - volunteering your time or resources to help in such an organization. Otherwise, its like driving past a homeless Viet-Nam vet* in your Highlander wearing a yellow ribbon magnet. And you're right - it smacks of slacktivism.

*Not that all homeless vets are authentic, but you understand the point.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

PK Subban ALS Challenge

PK Subban did it right. That is a challenge, not some pussy bucket.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 12:37 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

PK Subban ALS Challenge

Lol that's probably the best one I have seen so far. He made it a legit ice bath.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

PK Subban ALS Challenge

Subban's a good guy, I honestly think celebrities doing it is ok...I guess. It'd be even better if they actually volunteered like Dick said they would influence others to do the same.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

PK Subban ALS Challenge

Like a G.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

[Image: attachment.jpg21002]   

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Why does it frustrate you that charity is being used to help people with a disease that can't be helped... don't have much sympathy for people who choose to go to war and kill people.

War would end tomorrow if the endless idiots who fought in it just stopped, I characterize these people as 'Assertive idiots'... they;re complete numbskulls but assertive enough to pick up a gun and do damage.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Perhaps it's how low the bar has been set for social media, in that it is a constant competition for attention. But at least this has a positive spirit and is for a good cause.

In other words, for a lot of these people it certainly is narcissistic self indulgence, but at least the purpose is a good one.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Its merely middle-class and upper-class men and women attention-whoring.

'Look at me, I dumped a bucket of ice on my head for charity!'

Bitch please. I take a cold water shower at 4:30 AM everyday and charity is when your left hand doesn't know that your right hand has given.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread but, I've never understood the point of these charities and causes. Why are we trying to find cures for cancer, parkinson's, AIDS, ALS etc? Shouldn't we just let nature run its course? I am extremist when it comes to these matters so I hope no one takes it personally [Image: lol.gif]

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Intentions...it's all about intentions.

Welcome to modern day. It's Apocalypse Now, outcome means nothing.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Good marketing / social media aspect to it, but personally I hate the peer pressure nature of it. I almost never cave in to peer pressure or groupthink. I won't do it or pay up if I get tagged. Don't like being forced into doing something I normally wouldn't do.

Slightly off topic, I'd be more charitable if the government didn't force charity on me by taking a huge chunk of my tax revenues and handing them out in vote buying and social control programs to irresponsible people.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I don't understand any of this but seen it on FB a bunch of people pouring water. I don't know what ALS is either nor do I care to ask anyone any more. I'm turning into Archie Bunker slowly and enjoying it.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

^ Its a horrible disease where your body slowly goes paralyzed over time, every single muscle shuts down until you are a vegetable on life support. Kind of like a much more horrible form of MS. Best way I can put it.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

^also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou was a legendary NY Yankees baseball player.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

For most of the people posting ice bucket videos of themselves on Facebook, Vine, and Instagram, the charity part remains a postscript. As for “raising awareness,” few of the videos I’ve seen contain any substantive information about the disease, why the money is needed, or how it will be used. More than anything else, the ice bucket videos feel like an exercise in raising awareness of one’s own ego, self-importance, and/or attractiveness in a wet T-shirt. Just another way of patting yourself on the back and say "Hey, look at me, I'm doing something important for charity" when in actuality they have not done anything substantive with long term impact. Instead of actually donating money to ALS research or volunteering, the ice bucket challenge videos is just another way for people to stroke their own egos but in the guise of charity. Why not donate the money you used to buy that bag of ice and give it to ALS research instead? Oh well then people won't get to see me dump ice water on myself on social media. You "support" the fight against ALS? Well how do you exactly support it? With actual, quantifiable, long-term impactful assets (money/volunteering)? Or do you think just saying the words "I support the fight against ALS" is actually enough?

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 03:45 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

^also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou was a legendary NY Yankees baseball player.

Reminds me of the following Sopranos quote:

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 03:33 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I don't understand any of this but seen it on FB a bunch of people pouring water. I don't know what ALS is either nor do I care to ask anyone any more. I'm turning into Archie Bunker slowly and enjoying it.

"Edith, stifle yourself" Archie was the boss.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 01:59 PM)xpatplayer Wrote:  

Its merely middle-class and upper-class men and women attention-whoring.

'Look at me, I dumped a bucket of ice on my head for charity!'

Bitch please. I take a cold water shower at 4:30 AM everyday and charity is when your left hand doesn't know that your right hand has given.

I concur.

Like xpatplayer said (and lostawake), this is just narcissism. So in addition to sex selfies, we now have people exploiting terminal illnesses for attention. I'd laugh because it's so absurd and pathetic, but I don't think it's a laughing matter.

From what I've heard your options are to either a.) Get ice water poured on your head or b.) Donate $100 to an ALS charity.

It seems like the overwhelming majority of people are just getting the ice poured on their head, and no one is really donating any money. While they could argue that they are raising awareness for the disease, I doubt most of those kids even know what ALS is.

The saddest part about this is that a few weeks from now this will end abruptly, proving that it's a trend. ALS is not a trend however. It will continue to afflict people until a cure is found. While these teens are having fun pouring buckets of ice on their heads on posting it on social media, someone out there right now is probably being diagnosed with ALS and I don't think any of these people actually give a flying fuck in a few days.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 04:09 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  

It seems like the overwhelming majority of people are just getting the ice poured on their head, and no one is really donating any money. While they could argue that they are raising awareness for the disease, I doubt most of those kids even know what ALS is.

I remember reading that they have already raised more money with this 'challenge' than they did all of last year. I also read that most of the celebs doing this challenge are also donating money.

I agree with the general point about narcissism but in this case to be fair they have raised money and awareness.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Feels more and more like the movie Idiocracy is coming true.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 04:12 PM)TheSlayer Wrote:  

Quote: (08-18-2014 04:09 PM)Seth_Rose Wrote:  

I remember reading that they have already raised more money with this 'challenge' than they did all of last year. I also read that most of the celebs doing this challenge are also donating money.

I agree with the general point about narcissism but in this case to be fair they have raised money and awareness.

Yeah I do give the credit for raising ALOT of money.

Question is.....how much money is ACTUALLY going to benefit the research for ALS ?

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote: (08-18-2014 04:15 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

Question is.....how much money is ACTUALLY going to benefit the research for ALS ?

Your guess is as good as mine. Wouldn't surprise me if most of the money goes towards "administrative costs". I am not donating money for this but if I ever do I make sure to check their financial statements - most reputable charities will give you a breakdown of how they spend money.

OT - I don't know how it is now but I remember doing a project once and found that Doctors Without Borders was one of the best charities and 85% of their donations actually went to helping people in need. Then you have agenda driven idiotic organizations like MADD where 80 or 90% of the donations go towards "administrative costs". People should really research this stuff, it's interesting. A lot of these charities are simply scams IMO.