rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Request: Over 35 Year Old Section

I have seen others bring it up, but haven’t yet seen a thread specifically requesting a “35 and over” category on the forum.

This is exactly the type of topic that makes me wish we had a "35 years old and over forum": (On topic of Knees and squats)

The suggested solutions on this topic will vary by age. For example, I was a competition powerlifter for several years. I peaked at a 600lb squat, 515lb dead lift, and 385lb bench. I had to comfortably squat 500lbs for 8 reps, over and over, just to not feel like a 600lb squat was going to irreparably break me just for making the attempt.

Key here: the recommendation of what the solution is depends heavily on the persons age and experience. For example, my knees all of a sudden feel fucked. Despite all the wrestling, football, years of powerlifting...I felt fine until I did two years of crossfit...did some retarted stuff, and now feel like me knees could give out with even a 185lb squat. If I ask a 25yr old and a 45yr old what I should do, I will get two different answers:

- 25 year old: a) fix your form (not likely I posted those numbers with shitty form, but whatever), b) do more squats and your testosterone will shoot up which will help heal, c) some other shit which basically advocates pushing forward. [I was this guy at 25]

- 45 year old: a) go get an MRI immediately, if you need to get it scoped, do it now while "young" and it will heal quickly, b) squats may be over, but here are a number of other things you can try...

This is not to say I don't value the input of all age ranges (hell, I read a ton of Roosh and CMQ and both younger). It is just my opinion that most of us "older guys" are more likely to stay silent on topics where we know the majority (whereby the majority of the forum is under 35) will not understand the viewpoint. The over 35 crowd is more likely to take a view of "these guys will just need to learn the hard way" and stay silent as opposed to trying to argue with those that are sure they are right (I just think y’all miss out on some potentially good feedback that can be used later on).

My conjecture on this point is really just based on reflection of my own self. On the topic of knee pain, at 25 I'd for sure have said "fix your form" or "push through". So, no disrespect is meant.

Although I'm using an example around knee pain and squats, it is just an example. I think this applies across the board, and specifically with game. Example: if you are over 35 and rolling a nice lifestyle and refuse to buy a girl a drink because it is "beta", you are in for a rude awakening. I'm not saying be "beta bucks", but buying a chick some drinks (or a meal) when you are clearly killing it will just make you feel awkward (put the chick aside, I'm talking about you). If you want to hold your ground on this point and go "dutch" at 25, knock yourself out. At 35+???…(again, depends on your lifestyle here).

For the moderators: check out bodybuilding.com and their “Over 35” forum section. Not only is it popular with good info, but young posters ask questions all the time knowing they are highly likely to get some advice from “old dogs”. So, it is indeed for everyone, but the information often steers towards “what do I do down the road”.

I think an over 35 section could be useful to us younger guys looking for guidance on some issues.

I like the idea too. I've never vocalized it but it would certainly be on my wishlist of possible future subforums. And with game and lifestyle, over 35 dudes can have a drastically different perspective on things and different needs.

It sounds like you went from power and low endurance type workouts that lasted for years to crossfit where you jumped in thinking your wrestling days weren't so far removed from the GPP of crossfit.

I'm just guessing going from maxing out at around 5 sets of 10 or whatever didn't prepare you for all those high reps.

Obviously if you were lifting those kinds of numbers you were training that way for years and then did a 180 with crossfit.

I think your body can adapt easier from endurance type training to gradual heavy lifting then from your power lifting to GPP.

Basically you went from 0 to 60 and tore yourself down for 2 years straight.

I'm sure that sound obvious in hindsight, sorry to hear about the knees.

Crossfit hurts people a lot.

I've had my share of injuries from it.

It's only going to get worse now that HQ is all about the "competition of fitness" or whateverthefuck.

I foresee a classaction lawsuit.

But why not write how old you are in your sig or mention it in your posts? Many people write such disclaimers about themselves, for example "I have a 7'' cock, so take my claims about sex techniques around with a grain of salt".

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

@Fisto - yes brotha, I think you got it. I've had a few "aha wtf" moments by looking stuff up on the internet when I felt a symptom, and this was one of them. For example, I felt like my Achilles was going to blow at any moment...only to find a blog by a guy with a blog named "sexyasfuck" (hey, his retarted name, not mine) and he blew his Achilles from doing high rep box jumps. Guess what...don't do high rep box jumps followed by squats and power cleans! He went from a smug xfit evangelist to "stick to the basics" over night.

And, whatever GPP is...(oh, and got to love the "functional movement" dogma). It is all just part of the "us vs. them" that is required to start a cult.

The box I went to sent several people to "nationals/whatchamacallit" every year. I don't view a single one of them as an "elite athlete", not remotely the way I'd view a D1 football player or D1 wrestler (and that is only college, not the "top").

But, I digress. This weightlifting advice example is just that, and example.

Quote:Quote:

But why not write how old you are in your sig or mention it in your posts? Many people write such disclaimers about themselves, for example "I have a 7'' cock, so take my claims about sex techniques around with a grain of salt".

That.

I'm not against an over 35 section, whatever, but I know I at least tend to assume someone I am talking to on the internet has properties similar to my own unless I'm told otherwise. Just like reading a book. Until the author tells me otherwise, directly or by suggestion, I'm going to think the protagonist is a white guy in his 20s because I'm a white guy and I have a mental image of myself around 23-24, not the 28 I actually am. (I still am not used to being so broad shouldered either, always banging into door frames and shit. It's been 6 years, WTF brain?)

So, specifics people! The more specific the better, for the best advice.

---

As far as older people staying silent... why? I'm certainly not afraid to speak out, and I'm sure a lot of people think I'm an asshole because of it--I get called "really intense" a lot and that can make people uncomfortable--but if I have relevant experience or insight and I think people are bullshitting their way to a stupid conclusion I almost always at least put my perspective out there.

Here, I figure even if the people I'm speaking to directly don't listen, there are probably 100 people reading for every person posting and those are the people I want to get my message.

I understand it can get quite frustrating, though. I've had half a dozen conversations in the last few weeks that I just had to walk away from. I'm not going to bang my head against the wall.*

Okay, I guess I answered my own question as to why. If you guys feel like it's a waste of your time to speak out in the general forum--or don't want to bother because you feel your message would be ill received--and would be more comfortable with a specific place for the over-35 viewpoint, hey, sounds like a great idea then. The more wisdom we have here the better.

*I vowed never to get sucked too deep into internet arguments after I argued with an idiot for like 2 weeks a few years back about why a RWD-only SUV is a stupid-ass choice for offroading. Probably wrote 20,000 words to that idiot. Apparently because you can drive down a dirt road in an old Taurus, you can climb over logs in the woods in a RWD SUV with an open differential. Sure you can, if you hit them at 20 mph. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Quote: (08-13-2014 03:12 AM)anonymous123 Wrote:  

@Fisto - yes brotha, I think you got it. I've had a few "aha wtf" moments by looking stuff up on the internet when I felt a symptom, and this was one of them. For example, I felt like my Achilles was going to blow at any moment...only to find a blog by a guy with a blog named "sexyasfuck" (hey, his retarted name, not mine) and he blew his Achilles from doing high rep box jumps. Guess what...don't do high rep box jumps followed by squats and power cleans! He went from a smug xfit evangelist to "stick to the basics" over night.

And, whatever GPP is...(oh, and got to love the "functional movement" dogma). It is all just part of the "us vs. them" that is required to start a cult.

The box I went to sent several people to "nationals/whatchamacallit" every year. I don't view a single one of them as an "elite athlete", not remotely the way I'd view a D1 football player or D1 wrestler (and that is only college, not the "top").

But, I digress. This weightlifting advice example is just that, and example.

These crossfit elites love to act like they're "athletes". Working out isn't a sport in my opinion.

I wrestled for a short stint on the US National team and I agree with you a 100%, these crossfit guys don't come close to the athleticism that a D1 football player or wrestler displays in a game/match.

That said I do think it's the best way for a wrestler or football player to train provided they have a good crossfit coach.

Good luck with that though.

A few of my buddies have boxes and I think they're great coaches, some of their employees suck ass.

One guys own wife is horrible.

I can't stand the crossfit culture the way it has developed.

It's a bunch of jackasses.

I support 35+ section. I'd like to know whom I am getting advice from.

Good idea.

Being 38 I find some of the issues and themes discussed through the context of age most helpful. Some Behaviors and perspective on women does change with age
I like the idea .

Not a bad idea but I'm guessing there are less than 100 active members who are over 35. I'll keep it in mind for the future as we all grow old together. [Image: grouphug.gif]

From my own experience, and my friends' experiences too, one thing seems clear, about us "35 and over" :

Europe has become useless/too hard to game in, for us. No way we can nail top-quality women in Western Europe anymore. All and any cute chick under 26, will not be open to having fun with us. Unless one is a millionaire certainly, or has an insane amount of night-game perhaps? But for regular and even "well-trained" 35+ men, even with decent game and some money, what can we really hope for in Western Europe? To get second- or third-choice chicks...?

IMHO, do any of you still pull top-quality young women here in Western Europe? From what I see, even if you are handsome/tall/funny/quite wealthy, no young woman will want anything to do with us... she'd feel ashamed, or just not interested...

And Eastern Europe is fast becoming the same way : any 38+ men pulling hot 25 y.o. chicks in Czech Rep or Ukraine, nowadays? I don't think so... (unless you happen to look younger and therefore "cheat" the trend)

So, this 35+ subforum should have to focus on LatAm and SEA, which is actually perfectly fine : There, hope still lives on, and we can score very strong! [Image: smile.gif]

PS : if someone knows of a place in Europe where 35+ men still can pull hot 23-25 yo women (through decent-to-good game), please tell us where [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (08-13-2014 07:18 AM)Tough lucky Luke Wrote:  

From my own experience, and my friends' experiences too, one thing seems clear, about us "35 and over" :

Europe has become useless/too hard to game in, for us. No way we can nail top-quality women in Western Europe anymore. All and any cute chick under 26, will not be open to having fun with us. Unless one is a millionaire certainly, or has an insane amount of night-game perhaps? But for regular and even "well-trained" 35+ men, even with decent game and some money, what can we really hope for in Western Europe? To get second- or third-choice chicks...?

IMHO, do any of you still pull top-quality young women here in Western Europe? From what I see, even if you are handsome/tall/funny/quite wealthy, no young woman will want anything to do with us... she'd feel ashamed, or just not interested...

And Eastern Europe is fast becoming the same way : any 38+ men pulling hot 25 y.o. chicks in Czech Rep or Ukraine, nowadays? I don't think so... (unless you happen to look younger and therefore "cheat" the trend)

So, this 35+ subforum should have to focus on LatAm and SEA, which is actually perfectly fine : There, hope still lives on, and we can score very strong! [Image: smile.gif]

PS : if someone knows of a place in Europe where 35+ men still can pull hot 23-25 yo women (through decent-to-good game), please tell us where [Image: wink.gif]

Game denialist? Low post count?

Fear the banhammer...

Quote: (08-13-2014 07:28 AM)mikado Wrote:  

Quote: (08-13-2014 07:18 AM)Tough lucky Luke Wrote:  

Game denialist? Low post count?

Fear the banhammer...

Game only goes so far, and older guys realize this. It is great when you are 22. But as you get older, unless you are wealthy, your options diminish, unless you want a single mother or a woman that remained single due to being difficult.

+1

You dont have to be 35 and older to know the knee's are heavily impacted by weightliftng and any sport which requires a sudden change in direction.

- Squash
- Tennis
- Running (long distance)

These create a lot of impact on knee ligaments and will do you no good over the long term. Squats on the otherhand are a static, low impact movement as are the other two.

The only problem with any lifting outside of weightlifting is wear and tear but that comes with age anyway. impact movements on ligaments accelerate this issue.

Quote: (08-13-2014 02:08 AM)anonymous123 Wrote:  

Key here: the recommendation of what the solution is depends heavily on the persons age and experience. For example, my knees all of a sudden feel fucked. Despite all the wrestling, football, years of powerlifting...I felt fine until I did two years of crossfit...did some retarted stuff, and now feel like me knees could give out with even a 185lb squat. If I ask a 25yr old and a 45yr old what I should do, I will get two different answers:

That's your problem right there! Two years of cross fit? Goodness no wonder you're hurting!

I agree with your 35+ year old forum. Good idea.

Quote: (08-13-2014 06:42 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Not a bad idea but I'm guessing there are less than 100 active members who are over 35. I'll keep it in mind for the future as we all grow old together. [Image: grouphug.gif]

I'm not 35 yet, although I feel older than that from all my years of MMA fighting on most days, but I went ahead and put my age in my profile so that people can see it if they click on it. It's definitely a good idea to keep in mind as we all get older and it could help younger guys as well.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Another idea is having someone's age as part of the sidebar on the right that appears when they post. After all, when asking for advice, someones age is highly relevant- a 40 year old is unlikely to be looking for guidance from an 18 year old. Also a lot of the differences in opinion between posters, and different endorsement of travel locations is likely due to age. If everyone knew what they were dealing with, this could be reduced.

EDIT: Didn't see TravelerKai's post when I posted this. Either way, I think that incorporating someones age next to the flag, avatar and rep that shows up when they post would be a good thing.

Sometimes I think an over 35 forum would be a good thing, but I really like how the forums are now. Game is different over 35 (I'd argue it gets *way* different past about 42, at least in my experience). Any kind of exercise is different.

If I have something where I think my age makes a difference, I'll put it in my post. We do have a few threads that specialize in stuff like 40+ game. I feel like it's pretty good that way. We all have our differences. I also assume that everyone on here is American (in spite of the flags), unless someone's English is really broken. That's one of the cool things about this forum, a bunch of guys from different places, different ages, all trying to figure stuff out.

Tough lucky Luke - http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-30.html

This thread has to be one of the longest running on the board. First post in 2008, active this month.

For guys over 35 perspective changes on alot of things. Women 18-20 are still children, 21-29 are young and 30-40 are target demographic. 41+ is getting tough to meet cute ones but a gold mine none the less. 50+ HELL NO.
I would never have said that at age 25. I still wanted to make up for what I missed in high school back then.
A man 35+ should have a chance with all age brackets due to his maturity and career success. That said, the day I stick my dick in a girl my sons age, I am going to feel really creepy (hes over 18 of course). Ill get over though. Within minutes.

Nah, I'm in the over 35 camp but there is no need for this. The forum is great as it is; it has great bones, the structure is just right. There is no reason to mess with it.

One of the very best thing about the RVF is that it has no ghettos. There is good mixing between men of different types, ages, social classes and temperaments in every part of the forum. This is key for creating a sufficiently rich and various feel and for continuing to attract all sorts of men to the forum and to what it represents. Ghetto creation is how web forums die, spiritually if not physically.

I love to see the wisdom (such as it is [Image: wink.gif]) of grizzled veterans like Mech, or outright geezers like iknowexactly who still remember the first iPhone, jostling amiably with the energies of callow youths and everything in between. It's good to throw all these flavors into the mix -- it makes for a stronger and heartier brew. Let's keep it that way.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Quote: (08-13-2014 10:09 AM)rpg Wrote:  

For guys over 35 perspective changes on alot of things. Women 18-20 are still children, 21-29 are young and 30-40 are target demographic. 41+ is getting tough to meet cute ones but a gold mine none the less. 50+ HELL NO.
I would never have said that at age 25. I still wanted to make up for what I missed in high school back then.
A man 35+ should have a chance with all age brackets due to his maturity and career success. That said, the day I stick my dick in a girl my sons age, I am going to feel really creepy (hes over 18 of course). Ill get over though. Within minutes.

I disagree with just about all of this.