rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Case Against Wearing Boat Shoes

Upon coming from Japan to visit the US, I’ve noticed an influx in guys wearing boat/deck shoes. I rocked this look all through college and in recent years as well. Currently though, I’m not feeling them. Here are a few specific reasons why:

1.They cost shorter guys height
In my personal experience, going from 5’9.5” barefoot to pushing 5’11” is a significant upgrade, physically and psychologically. I’ve never worn lifts, but increasingly find myself drawn to shoes with solid soles, ones that give a definite boost. Boat/deck shoes are flat and keep you low to the ground.

2.They are relatively uncomfortable
Not in a poor fit sense, but for active types who do a lot of walking/getting around. Putting heavy miles on some Top Siders can’t be good for your feet. Not much support at all. There might well be ones with air-cushioned insoles and better for activity, but I haven’t seen them. Really, they are perfectly suited to a boat/deck, and not many places beyond that.

3.They are kinda played out and most guys wear them wrong
You can’t wear these as *basic* shoes, they need to accentuate an already cool outfit. If you want some everyday kicks, go the Nike/New Balance/etc route. I see a lot of boat-shoed guys with a plain t-shirt/polo and (too big) shorts pairing. This is an incredibly boring beta look, the office equivalent of the undershirt showing on a button-down, with a pair of flowing khakis. Don’t be the bland nothing guy. Boat shoes also accentuate your calves, so especially avoid this combo if yours look bad. And your shorts or pants need to fit pretty tight as well, otherwise it doesn’t work.

[Image: DarkBoatShoes.jpg]
bad look 1

[Image: boat-shoesarnold-schwarzenegger-boat-sho...qld6bq.jpg]
bad look 2

[Image: navy-boat-shoes-h-m-shoes-light-blue-twe...rt_400.jpg]
good look 1

[Image: o-MEN-SHOES-570.jpg?2]
good look 2

What's wrong with 'bad look 1'?

I really couldnt see wearing any other shoe with those clothes (other than chucks, but boat shoes convey more maturity/class than chucks).

Of course you're gonna look like a dork if you match em with shorts. Throw some decent pants on and it makes a huge difference.

This should be The Case Against Wearing Shorts.

Quote: (08-07-2014 01:52 PM)monster Wrote:  

What's wrong with 'bad look 1'?

Re-read point 3.

You are right, "bad" isn't the best adjective. Those guys don't stand out at all in a negative way. But they don't bring anything to the table, either. Guys should aim to look good, not just like every other guy out there. Girls don't notice a mediocre fashion sense.

Strongly disagree with the shorts opinion.
[Image: 85055118b58aebefbbfd16bc47a32a76.jpg]
[Image: search%3Fq%3Dboat%2Bshoes%2Bwith%2Bshort...40%253B480]
[Image: 568558ac9d2ea8f2dd7e7d287d4b3dbc.jpg]

Quote: (08-07-2014 01:37 PM)Flyjin Wrote:  

good look 1

I guess I don't get it, the guy looks like a tool and I have this urge to want to punch him. He looks like the kind of guy that would be mouthy but crumble in one punch. I know you are talking about the shoes but I am reacting to the look, that seems like he is trying too hard. I am more into classic, understated.

Knowing my luck guys like Fisto, MikeCF and some of the other trained fighters on this board will say they dress like that - and it will be too late to edit this post. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Upon coming from Japan to visit the US, I’ve noticed an influx in guys wearing boat/deck shoes. I rocked this look all through college and in recent years as well. Currently though, I’m not feeling them. Here are a few specific reasons why:

1.They cost shorter guys height
In my personal experience, going from 5’9.5” barefoot to pushing 5’11” is a significant upgrade, physically and psychologically. I’ve never worn lifts, but increasingly find myself drawn to shoes with solid soles, ones that give a definite boost. Boat/deck shoes are flat and keep you low to the ground.

Not wearing high-top construction boots costs me height too. It's also a lot more comfortable in hot climates.

Quote:Quote:

2.They are relatively uncomfortable
Not in a poor fit sense, but for active types who do a lot of walking/getting around. Putting heavy miles on some Top Siders can’t be good for your feet. Not much support at all. There might well be ones with air-cushioned insoles and better for activity, but I haven’t seen them. Really, they are perfectly suited to a boat/deck, and not many places beyond that.

They have just as much support as the shoes I wear for lifting and running. Never had issues with comfort and have even run in them when needed without problem.

Quote:Quote:

3.They are kinda played out and most guys wear them wrong
You can’t wear these as *basic* shoes, they need to accentuate an already cool outfit. If you want some everyday kicks, go the Nike/New Balance/etc route. I see a lot of boat-shoed guys with a plain t-shirt/polo and (too big) shorts pairing. This is an incredibly boring beta look, the office equivalent of the undershirt showing on a button-down, with a pair of flowing khakis. Don’t be the bland nothing guy. Boat shoes also accentuate your calves, so especially avoid this combo if yours look bad. And your shorts or pants need to fit pretty tight as well, otherwise it doesn’t work.

Boat shoes suck because they don't look good with a bad outfit?

You could make this same comment about any piece of clothing.

The fact that you talk about "support" for shoes harms your entire post. We need to wear shows that more closely resemble barefoot walking.

I wear boat shoes and shorts. I have nice quads. Girls seem to be OK with my look.

Boat shows dress up an otherwise boring outfit. The first part of your outfit girls notice is your shoes.

Add some color to them. Red, blue, etc.

Maybe you could post some outfits that you personally wear to show us your sense of style?

I remember Captain Power came here posting about fashion.....Then he posted a pic and it all made sense (though not in the way he intended it to).

Quote: (08-07-2014 02:13 PM)Flyjin Wrote:  

[Image: 85055118b58aebefbbfd16bc47a32a76.jpg]

[Image: gay.gif]

Just don't wear shorts. Shorts are for home and the beach.

Here's a question about boat shoes: how do you guys retie them or tie them so that they don't untie?

Quote: (08-07-2014 02:16 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

I guess I don't get it, the guy looks like a tool and I have this urge to want to punch him.

Yep, he looks like a douchebag...one thing I've learned, lotsa douchebags get poos, because they're so comfortable being douchebags.

That said, I think the same thing as you...punch him in the face and beat him over the head with his murse. Somebody needs a thread, "how to be a douchebag and get chics"

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

I can't believe it when I see the fashion experts on here defending boat shoes, to me they always scream HOMO [Image: gay.gif]

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

delete

I love boatshoes. My complaints would be sweaty feet with no socks and you make a good point about height but as far as being plaid out the new balance look in my opinion is much more played out than boat shoes. I see nothing wrong with wearing boat shoes a pair of above the knee shorts and a tshirt.

yikes. boat shoes and shorts always looks fine. They are great for assembling a casual look without dressing down to sneakers.

And not wearing shorts? Sorry but when it's warm I don't like to sweat to death.

Quote: (08-07-2014 02:19 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

The fact that you talk about "support" for shoes harms your entire post. We need to wear shows that more closely resemble barefoot walking.

That's a fair point. Certainly with lifting and some other activities you want to be more barefoot. But NBA players don't ball anymore in Chuck Taylors, either. If I were running 5K, boat shoes wouldn't be high on my list of choices.

I wear boat shoes and shorts. I have nice quads. Girls seem to be OK with my look.

Boat shows dress up an otherwise boring outfit. The first part of your outfit girls notice is your shoes.

Maybe you could post some outfits that you personally wear to show us your sense of style?

I don't doubt that you and other guys on here have good style. Just based on my recent observations in the US, I'm commenting on what I've seen.
Feel free to critique my pics.

Quote: (08-07-2014 02:24 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Just don't wear shorts. Shorts are for home and the beach.

Here's a question about boat shoes: how do you guys retie them or tie them so that they don't untie?

California really is different. Shorts are the norm. (Just don't wear cargo shorts.)

I tuck the strings into my shoes after tying them. Helps prevent unravelling.

^^^ Mike yeah. Cali is a very relaxed/chilled/casual vibe.

I don't understand how the 'bad look' and the 'good look' pictures relate to shoes. The guys in the 'bad look' pictures are so because everything from head to ankle looks quite poor. Likewise, in the 'good look' pictures, everything from head to angle look good and it has nothing to with their shoes.

But yeah shoes are important, it is usually the difference between a guy being 90% to the 100% real deal.

I hate boat shoes, too. When I'm wearing shorts and usually combine them with either old school Nikes similar to those

[Image: vintage-celtics-nike-dunk-high-3.jpg]

or Espadrilles.

[Image: espadrilles-mens-ibiza-navy-bench.jpeg]

Quote: (08-07-2014 02:16 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

good look 1

I guess I don't get it, the guy looks like a tool and I have this urge to want to punch him. He looks like the kind of guy that would be mouthy but crumble in one punch. I know you are talking about the shoes but I am reacting to the look, that seems like he is trying too hard. I am more into classic, understated.

The guy in the picture, will probably (and quite rightly) avoid people who want punch him because he has better thing to do such as fucking women. [Image: smile.gif]

He probably falls into the category of a businessman given the shirt and tie. But what is striking is, his overall appearance is that of someone who is rich and hence someone of a higher status. Lots of women would want this guy.

OP, post a picture of yourself (cover your face if you want) so we can see how YOU dress. Unless you have good style yourself and can back it up, there's a good chance your just giving misinformed fashion advice. Boat shoes look great if you know how to match them properly with your outfit.

Yep, L.A. has its own unique fashion that doesn't really apply in other parts of the country. Shorts are definitely a go.

I've got a few pairs, one is khaki and 2 are denim, one of them orange like this:
[Image: denim-supply-ralph-lauren-slim-fit-brigh...-short.jpg]

Rock them with a buttonup and a pair of these J.D. Fisk espadrilles:

[Image: 415ib2B6zpL._SY304_CR0,0,227,304_.jpg]

It's a very southern california, sort of aloof look. The look I try to go for is "vacationing in mexico". Pair it with a linen short sleeved buttonup, your hair all fucked up, and you're good to go.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

The only picture that sort of gets it right in my book is this pic:

[Image: 568558ac9d2ea8f2dd7e7d287d4b3dbc.jpg]

He still looks too uptight. I'd unbutton the shirt one more at the top and walk with my arms swinging without a care in the world, and probably go with a short-sleeve instead of long-sleeved rolled up.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Sperry topsiders are played out to the extreme in America.

Jack Purcell's are the way to go.

I remember Captain Power came here posting about fashion.....Then he posted a pic and it all made sense (though not in the way he intended it to).

Other than boat shoes, do you know there anything else out there that looks good and is also barefoot/minimalistic?