rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dance Studios for Meeting Women?

I've been recommended by a few people to join a dance team/take dance lessons to meet attractive, in-shape, un-inhibited girls. I'm a musician and also into fitness, so I also have a genuine interest in dancing besides meeting girls. I'm thinking Salsa and Swing.

So, for those of you who've done this, how do you go about meeting/gaming women at these places? Should I just show up or sign up for beginner lessons? The few places I've investigated so far via the web say they offer 4 beginner lessons, then go to intermediate.

Also, do you have to be careful not to be called out as a troll if they suspect you're gaming girls there?

Ive done this a little during University. Traditional Irish dancing (in Ireland) so a lot of America and Asian girls.

Bring along a platonic good looking female friend. Some girls who is keen to try new things. Dress sharp also. This will disarm a lot of peoples suspicions. Tell girls who ask that she was nervous and invited you and that you love trying new things so why not!?

Dance lessons are great for initializing physical touch and getting close. Dont over game and be seen to focus on one particular girl.

Try dance lessons near or on a major University. I got some success and couldn't dance for shit. I wasn't afraid to try though.

The problem is, I'm new to my city and don't really have any female friends I could bring. I could possibly talk one of my guy friends into coming with me, but otherwise, I'd be doing this solo. I'm a good-looking guy, can dress sharp. I'll tell them right away that I play instruments, play with a group, etc. to hopefully kill any suspicion. Then after that, I guess it's stealth game?

Day game a girl but for the purpose of getting in the friend zone. 'Hey your fun lets do a dance lesson sometimes for a laugh'. Girls do this to guys all the time. Just string them along and upgrade if the opportunity arises. If that girl wants it too hook up also then added bonus but just use her as a friend first for leverage.

In my experience it was mostly girls who didn't drink much and although shy are quite sexually receptive. Just like yoga game be chill with toned down game. Act slightly beta and focus on making everyone comfortable around you rather than highly attracted. No silly shit. Always focus more on the lessons, if they are interested they will make it obvious.

Quote: (08-05-2014 04:59 PM)blacknwhitespade Wrote:  

I've been recommended by a few people to join a dance team/take dance lessons to meet attractive, in-shape, un-inhibited girls. I'm a musician and also into fitness, so I also have a genuine interest in dancing besides meeting girls. I'm thinking Salsa and Swing.

So, for those of you who've done this, how do you go about meeting/gaming women at these places? Should I just show up or sign up for beginner lessons? The few places I've investigated so far via the web say they offer 4 beginner lessons, then go to intermediate.

Also, do you have to be careful not to be called out as a troll if they suspect you're gaming girls there?

I would NOT mind hearing a little more about you and your city (or at least the area of the country) and maybe your schedule.. whether you are taking classes once a week or more or if there are more options to get better quicker? or if you want to?

I am currently in my late 40s and I have been salsa dancing for more than 12 years, and I am in the Los Angeles area. There are a lot of salsa dance opportunities around this area, so about the first year that I was salsa dancing I took a whole hell of a lot of lessons and I rotated from location to location to location.. even going to nightclubs for one hour for the lesson and then leaving and going to salsa dance trips (many of them).

I think that in the beginning that you may have some trouble just getting down all the basics and trying to learn some good dance techniques and moves to personalize to your learning style and preferences.

If you are a fairly attractive guy, then you should NOT have problems working in game or bangs or outside activities with some of the girls that you meet from location to location. Sometimes in the very beginning you may feel a little inferior because your dance skills are developing and are NOT so great, but that is why you would work techniques to change locations and to improve your techniques and rotate girls and use those as excuses to meet with girls for "practice," and sometimes just practicing, writing down moves or video taping various dance moves in order that you can visualize executing those moves and becoming more and more smooth and skillful with the passage of time.

Why don't you describe a little bit more about your ideas and then either I can respond or other guys reading this thread can chime in to discuss some of their experiences in light of your experiences and aspirations.

My personal philosophy was in the beginning to focus on one kind of dance at a time (so I would NOT recommend mixing swing and salsa b/c they are too different.. at least in my mind... and I still do NOT dance swing)... so get good at which ever one is best in your area (the one with more venue options in your area I would recommend).

I prefer salsa for a variety of reasons, including its prevalence in LA, more ethnic diversity in the people that dance to salsa and I like the music. Actually, in the Los Angeles area Salsa clubs, they play salsa, cha cha cha, merengue and bachata... and I am proficient in all four of these (even though I learned salsa first).

You can use a lot of the same dance moves in each of the other three dance styles as long as you get the steps correct.. and figure out how to stay on the right beat.. which may be easier for you being a musician.. NONETHELESS, I have met some musicians that have difficulties getting their body to move to the beat.. so it takes practice - whether you are super talented or NOT but even if you have musical abilities, sometimes the body does NOT cooperate with the mind and you get better at developing your own style in which the girl will be able to follow if you lead it well or practice at leading it well and inspire confidence with the girl. If girls feel comfortable with you, they will follow a lot ... and even beyond the dance floor...

Well, also, if your dance community is small, that is another issue.. in which the girls may be more self conscious, and sometimes when you are learning you may need to practice with some unattractive older ladies... until you get better... but sometimes also, you can met girls and then have your own regular partner(s) so you may NOT have to spend as much time dancing with the older and/or unattractive ones.. I personally will dance with anybody, even though I still will gravitate towards the more attractive younger girls (as do the other guys in the scene).

I definitely second some of the advice here. If you go alone, you will already be seen as a guy who shows up alone. Then you'll be judged for that.

I took some dance lessons back in 1999 to 2004. Most of the time, it was actually more men than women.

Some girls who are very good will have little or no patience with men who don't dance as well either.

Showing up alone shouldn't be a concern at all. If you genuinely want to learn to dance and enjoy it you will make friends fast. If you don't it is a ton of effort.

I've tried as a beginner at different universities.

There are usually slightly more guys than girls or even split. Many beta non party guys try this route to find good girls.

Most girls are naturally better dancers as beginners and will not tolerate guys that are not good for long. Older chicks and fatties will tolerate your mistakes more easily.

The quality is hit and miss with most being on the lower side.

The hot university chicks are out partying and fucking alphas not in swing or salsa class as often.

I think if you are older it could be a way to get a couple bangs, but as a college guy it seems the effort is too much unless you look for a wife that loves dance.

Hitting multiple venues / classes seems the best route. It is a lot of effort for sex (too much imo) unless you are dedicated to the craft.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

Quote: (08-15-2014 01:40 PM)Travesty444 Wrote:  

Showing up alone shouldn't be a concern at all. If you genuinely want to learn to dance and enjoy it you will make friends fast. If you don't it is a ton of effort.

I've tried as a beginner at different universities.

There are usually slightly more guys than girls or even split. Many beta non party guys try this route to find good girls.

Most girls are naturally better dancers as beginners and will not tolerate guys that are not good for long. Older chicks and fatties will tolerate your mistakes more easily.

The quality is hit and miss with most being on the lower side.

The hot university chicks are out partying and fucking alphas not in swing or salsa class as often.

I think if you are older it could be a way to get a couple bangs, but as a college guy it seems the effort is too much unless you look for a wife that loves dance.

Hitting multiple venues / classes seems the best route. It is a lot of effort for sex (too much imo) unless you are dedicated to the craft.

Those are decent points, Travesty.. that if you are strictly looking for the bang, then there are quite a few better ways to accomplish such.

In the very beginning when I started dancing, I went to so many places in part because I was interested in learning quickly and becoming really proficient.. and part of my theory (which I think is kind of true) is that the real hot chicks will only dance with the really good dancers.

However, I found that there is some variation with that, and some hot chicks are still o.k. with dancing with mediocre dancers if you are attractive in other ways (tall, dark and handsome or whatever shit they are looking for... or if you can just portray DHV in various ways).

Anyhow, sometimes in my early dancing days (1st year or two), I did find girls that I was willing to bang and "practice" with and when I think back on it, my dance level was pretty mediocre in those early years and some of the girls just wanted to "hang out" with me, because we had a mutual hobby and I was a good fit for them.

Currently, my dance level is way higher (I mean I have even taught quite a bit and put together some performances and dance demonstrations with students), yet that does NOT necessarily translate into more bangs because there seems to be a needed balance... and/or excuse for the girl to otherwise want to "hang out" with you, which could come in a variety of ways by showing some of your other interests including the fact that you are a musician may cause for excuses for her to want to hang out in venues that you are playing or whatever other hobbies that you may have.

JayJuanGee,

Man, I used to live in Los Angeles, I always thought Rockabilly/Swing was more popular out there!! I live in Chicago now. Just moved here a month ago for work. Salsa seems quite popular here, big and fairly diverse Latin population in Chicago and some of these girls are too hot to resist! My cousins are into it, a cute girl I had a date with just the other night is into it, I sense it could be a gold mine. One problem is I think the most popular Salsa/Latin studios and clubs are downtown, and unfortunately I work daily M/F in the suburbs, which can be a good 1 or 2 hours commute through the heavy Chicago traffic (L.A. doesn't hold the patent on that after all!) on a weekday afternoon into downtown. I've just started researching and found one Salsa studio in the city that offers lessons late into the evenings on weekdays and Saturday morning/afternoons. Sounds like it's a younger (20s/30s) crowd that goes there from the reviews. I'm guessing it's better to go in the evening, so if you make friends you can bounce from the studio to a club??

I'm in my early 30s, fairly new to Game, and totally new to dancing. I'm a musician (guitar, violin, ukulele) and have played in bands, so I have a natural sense of rhythm/music, this is definitely a genuine hobby I want to pick up (I'm not just crassly trying to troll women here) that I'm hoping will also involve making cool new friends and meeting women of my taste. I've been told that I'm a good-looking guy, dark hair, 5'9" with a trim/lean build that makes me appear taller (most people guess me closer to 6'), been lifting weights for a few years and learning to dress sharp and have good posture.

I was thinking of signing up for a month of lessons (once a week) on a week night and see what happens. Maybe I could talk my cousins into coming out with me sometime, they are married with kids now, but are in the area. What do you think?

When I used to go salsa, the guy who got the most girls was the instructor. If someone is a good salsa dancer, they'll pickup but its not like 90% of the women are hot.

Quote: (08-16-2014 04:13 PM)blacknwhitespade Wrote:  

JayJuanGee,

Man, I used to live in Los Angeles, I always thought Rockabilly/Swing was more popular out there!!

I have been in the LA area for almost 14 years, and I do NOT deny that there may be some other kinds of really popular dance scenes in LA area and I have heard people talk about some of the other dance scenes - but I have NOT become interested in participating in or figuring out the logistics for such other dance scenes - at least, NOT so far in my time here.

LA has a very big salsa dance scene (I mean there is even LA Style salsa, referred to in many salsa circles around the world).

I live in Chicago now. Just moved here a month ago for work. Salsa seems quite popular here, big and fairly diverse Latin population in Chicago and some of these girls are too hot to resist! My cousins are into it, a cute girl I had a date with just the other night is into it, I sense it could be a gold mine.

I was in Chicago for about one week in Fall of 2010, and i checked out several dance venues in the downtown area at that time. Funny thing was that I recognized some of the people from other dance venues....

You may be correct that there is a lot of potential in Chicago for salsa - especially, since it is a very large city. However, personally, I would NOT get caught up into thinking that salsa is largely propagated by the latin community - even though that may be true in Chicago and even in other cities.

I have found that some salsa venues are heavily attended and influenced by latinos - and other venues are more mixed. I tend to appreciate and enjoy myself in the mixed venues much more... possibly given the fact that i am caucasian.

I can probably mostly discuss my own perspective in terms of my own experiences - and what I have witnessed over the years, and I have noticed that some of the experiences of guys of other races can be different, depending on the venue....

Without getting too caught up in racial aspects, I have found a large variety of racial make-ups in the salsa scene, and sometimes the race and the make up of the patrons in that venue does seem to affect how guys may game girls differently because of these dynamics....or even how a guy may be perceived by girls differently based on the make-up of the venue and the guy's perceived fit or lack of fit therein.

One problem is I think the most popular Salsa/Latin studios and clubs are downtown, and unfortunately I work daily M/F in the suburbs, which can be a good 1 or 2 hours commute through the heavy Chicago traffic (L.A. doesn't hold the patent on that after all!) on a weekday afternoon into downtown. I've just started researching and found one Salsa studio in the city that offers lessons late into the evenings on weekdays and Saturday morning/afternoons.

potentially, there may be more venues for both dancing and lessons than you think and you can learn more and more about these various venues by networking in the dance community, once you are more involved.. or as you begin to get more involved.

Sounds like it's a younger (20s/30s) crowd that goes there from the reviews. I'm guessing it's better to go in the evening, so if you make friends you can bounce from the studio to a club??

Yes, I agree that you can bounce between studios... and that reminds me that sometimes, you may want to be a little coy about how many dance lessons that you are taking.. and that also may be one of the advantages to rotating through a variety of venues... because sometimes the goal in dancing is to inspire confidence in the girl .. .similar to game, that you know what you are doing and that you will lead her and that you will NOT embarrass her on the dance floor. I mean sometimes the Colombo fumbling and bumbling may work too, but probably NOT as well as her feeling comfortable dancing with you... some girls seem to be more self-conscious about these kinds of things regarding what other people may think than other girls (especially latinas, in my experience), and you can sometimes feel this out with the girl when you meet her or as you are dancing with her to be able to recognize if she seems to be comfortable or if she keeps looking at her friends to see if they are watching.. or other signals.

I'm in my early 30s, fairly new to Game, and totally new to dancing. I'm a musician (guitar, violin, ukulele) and have played in bands, so I have a natural sense of rhythm/music, this is definitely a genuine hobby I want to pick up (I'm not just crassly trying to troll women here) that I'm hoping will also involve making cool new friends and meeting women of my taste. I've been told that I'm a good-looking guy, dark hair, 5'9" with a trim/lean build that makes me appear taller (most people guess me closer to 6'), been lifting weights for a few years and learning to dress sharp and have good posture.

As I mentioned, your race may also have some effect, and believe it or NOT, there are some string instruments in salsa - depending upon the band - of course brass section and drums are also a big deal in salsa music, but there may be ways to work the live venues and to network, too. LA has all kinds of live venues and super AMAZING latin musicians.

I think that guys develop some of their own dance styles, and I tend to be fairly strict in my dancing on the 1 (except in cha cha cha, I prefer to dance on the 2, but i will also dance on the 1), but in social dancing, I see guys all over the place in terms of their style, or lack thereof (in my assessment).

In the beginning, you can learn from almost anyone;however, as you develop some of your own style, you may become more picky regarding how you learn and what you are willing to learn. So in that regard, in the beginning, that may be another reason to check out a variety of venues for learning.. and you may find some instructors to be more conducive to your learning style.. some are arrogant jerks (and maybe even kids who don't know what they don't know) and others may be too old and boring for you or their style may not gel with or sometimes you will realize that they are teaching bad techniques... but my point is that in the beginning it may NOT matter too much... but just to get started and to experiment and have fun with it.

I was thinking of signing up for a month of lessons (once a week) on a week night and see what happens. Maybe I could talk my cousins into coming out with me sometime, they are married with kids now, but are in the area. What do you think?

You can mix up solo and group, and you will meet people too, but if you do NOT mind rolling solo from time to time, that may give you more flexibility to explore, even though sometimes it may be good to have some people around that you know in order to build comfort or even to have duel or to fulfill multiple purposes.

You may also want to consider searching through RVF for other salsa related threads.. just search salsa or search dance. Even looking through some of my earlier posts (from last year), you will see that I chimed in on quite a few salsa related threads (NOT sure if my thoughts have evolved since making those earlier posts, but you will see that we have a few other RVFers who incorporate dance into their game in various ways.. which styles may differ and goals and objectives may differ, too... hehehehe).

Look forward to hearing more about how these matters unravel for you... even if you wait for some time between posts, you could come back to this thread and provide some updates about how some of the dancing and/or gaming matters are working out...

Damn JJG is the expert on this. Listen to him.

Salsa dancer here myself though frankly I joined first to meet girls, then I got hook.

The thing with using dance studios to bang girls when you dont really like dancing is that, girls smell that quickly. Here in Paris there are tons of people that just show up from time to time to hit on girls and their skills are intermediate at best. They normally dont do very well.

If you really love dancing and put in the time for it you actually do much better. You become the guy girls go to whenever they wanna dance, and you get really good at being sexual with girls. Some of the more advanced sexy moves can really melt a girl.

Its better to use or dance game to work non-dancer girls actually, they will eat that shit up. The regular salsa dancers, they are so used to feeling sexy and stuff on the dance floor so unless your non-dance game is solid its hard to bag them even if you dance well.

Still I recommend every guy takes dance lessons. Teach you tons on posture, escalation and female hot spots.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Okay, I am signing up for classes starting this Thursday night! Once a week for 4 weeks, Basic/Beginning Salsa. We'll see what happens.

You guys are inspiring me with your stories; I'm looking forward to learning the sexiest moves. Been studying a bit of Salsa on youtube clips, but I know that it's all academic until I hit the floor myself.

I'm a white male, though I have dark hair (sort of a black english look) and get my identity mistaken for hispanic by hispanics themselves sometimes. I'm open to meeting all sorts of women/people though, not just hispanics. It sounds like it's a fairly mixed crowd at this studio.

One more question, what is the best clothing for a newbie male Salsa dancer? I notice a lot of the guys dress fairly casual: button down shirt un-tucked, jeans, classic sneakers, maybe a fedora. I also have a few pairs of slim dark slacks, dress shoes with a bit of a heel, pointy-toed western boots with a 1.75" heel, and casual leather military-style boots.

Like JJG when I started out I went 3 times/week, but work with what you have.

Salsa is a very social scene but dont kid yourself. The guys who dress very casual there are usually the best dancers. Hell here some of them look like homeless but once they dance they look like gods. They sweat a lot so it helps to not dress up.

I strongly recommend dark jeans and dark v-neck. Easy to move but nice looking enough. Oh, you will ruin your nice shoes, but the thing is girls care a lot about shoes. Sneakers are hard to do spin in. Get some cheap ass dress shoes or boots that you dont mind having a few scratches on.

USE FUCKING COLOGNE or at least deodorant spray. I cant tell you how many times girls tell me I smell nice while they have to run away from some guys stinky arm pit.

I agree with a lot of the points that Dalaran is making - even though each of us may choose a slightly different style and experiment to some extent with our style and practices.

In my perception, one thing that you do NOT want to experiment with is giving too much of an impression of a bum,... so try to wear nice clothes that fit an image that you want to project... even if they are exercise type clothes. and maybe mix it up depending on when you are in a dance studio, when you have a girl over to "practice" or you go to the park to "practice" or if you go to a night club or a dance studio for their "social nights." Surely, they may have dress up themes too (or various dress codes) in some of these venues, too.. I tend to wear button up and a collar shirts in night clubs, but like Dalaran mentioned, there may be some other nice shirts that are NOT button up and do NOT have collars - but some of the clubs may NOT allow you in with certain kinds of clothing. Looking at other guys can give you a bit of an idea how to or how NOT to dress.

In most circumstances, it is good to engage in really good hygiene practices, including your smell, your breath, your hair cut and shave and even how much you are sweating can vary from person to person.

Some guys bring extra shirts, and I have done so myself for long dance sessions and changes in venues. And it makes a pretty big difference if you had been working all day or otherwise out and about and then you are sweating, your sweat may be more unbearable ... but if you shower before you go, then even if you sweat, it may NOT stink too much... Some girls are more prudes about these kinds of things than others, so you need to find a balance that allows you to attract and or maintain the attention of your target girls while being your own man.

In the very beginning, I set up a dance learning schedule like you for one day a week because my schedule was fairly hectic at that time, including I was in the middle of training for a marathon. Once I finished the marathon, however, I increased my number of practice days to as many days of the week as I could muster. I also scheduled in various other dance related activities, like dance camps and festivals and I attempt to absorb what had been learning by writing down what I learned in various classes and then reflected upon what I was learning and even tried to put to practice what I had learned in class in order to be able to remember it later on the dance floor (your mind can only absorb so much information at once until you build some muscle memory, too). Maybe even practicing some of what you learn on your own and/or engaging in ways to visualize the carrying out of the various moves that you learn. There are some kinds of moves that I learned early on, but the technique and or the importance of those moves (or techniques) did NOT really sink in until after many years of my application and practice and then customizing these techniques and moves to my own developing style.

Almost NO matter what you do, you cannot avoid being somewhat mechanical, rigid and lacking in some smoothness in the beginning, but you can concentrate on various ways to fake it.. and maybe sometimes fumbling and bumbling will be o.k., too, with some girls to feel more comfortable with you.

Guys learn and remember dance moves in a variety of ways. I tended to write multiple cheat sheets with abbreviations for different kinds of moves and different kinds of holds.. I would write as much as I needed to remember, such as hand placement right to right hand hold (rtrt), and then to study what I had written and go back and refresh myself about these later (even months later) and to attempt to figure out ways to execute them in my practice when I was actually on the dance floor with a girl.

Other guys are more visual and they like to video their moves or video the instructor. I could NOT feel too comfortable learning like that, but to each his own.

Some kinds of dance moves are more for performance and may be difficult to lead on the dance floor, and other moves are more social and basic. Sometimes you do want to have some of these more performance-like moves in your dance tool kit because they are good for practicing... because girls tend to like these.

Frequently, when I am executing various basic moves girls can be WOWed by those kinds of moves that I consider to be fairly basic, too, yet a girl may be more WOWed in the beginning just by being comfortable dancing with you and that you seem to be fun and social and popular with other people and that you are NOT going to make her look bad on the dance floor.

About shoes. I have gone through a lot of dance shoes, and some shoes are much more comfortable than others and some shoes look better than others. I error in the comfort level because I want to have good endurance and no injuries. There are various kinds of dance sneakers that can also be worn at night clubs or in dance studios and practice. Some of the dress shoes are NOT made for dancing and are NOT going to be very comfortable for dancing and spinning (turning). Also, you need balance and some shoes that are NOT too slippery for when you need to catch those girls that are all over the place and dip themselves or lose their balance. Also, some shoes are too sticky such as regular sneakers - they grip too much, and I think are just a bad idea to wear these weird kinds of shoes for dancing. Hard rubber is better than soft rubber, and leather or suede can be good. You need to be able to turn in them and still have a little bit of a grip on the floor (any of the dress shoes that you listed could work as long as you can turn easily and smoothly). I always invested quite a bit into a large number of dance shoes, but you may want to start by getting at least one pair of dance sneakers for the studio and at least one pair of shoes for the club (and then keep a pair in your car, just in case).

JJG, you sure you are not a member of this? I use the same nickname here [Image: biggrin.gif]

http://www.salsaforums.com/

OP, if you ever get serious about salsa, that forum is a goldmine. There s also lots of discussion on salsa datings, but beware, people there are as blue pill as they can get

Quote: (08-18-2014 04:24 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

JJG, you sure you are not a member of this? I use the same nickname here [Image: biggrin.gif]

http://www.salsaforums.com/

OP, if you ever get serious about salsa, that forum is a goldmine. There s also lots of discussion on salsa datings, but beware, people there are as blue pill as they can get

I had never read through or participated in that forum.

In recent years, I have used various forums or dance websites like salsapower and there used to be a couple others like salsa cities or something like that that I had used for when I was traveling to a new city and I wanted to get some ideas regarding venues in and around that city.

I suppose that some of these dance websites have evolved considerably since I first started dancing; however, I do recall (in my first few years of dance) reading through some dance websites to get some ideas about various dance related topics. Yet maybe, as you seem to suggest, I have been disinclined to become too involved in those kinds of websites because of their blue pill tendencies... but still looks like quite a lot of good information to search or scan through various topics.

Okay, had my first Salsa lesson last night! It was fun, learned some of the basic steps, I've got homework to do. Need to take more compact steps (I was a soccer player, baseball player and runner, so I am used to longer strides). The dance studio is in a cool part of the city, not a bad commute since the lessons start after rush hour. Multiple groups taking lessons in the building at the same time. Definitely some talent, ALL of the instructors are 7+. Half, or maybe a little more than half of the students are guys, though. Mostly a 20s/30s crowd. There are 4 guys and 3 girls in my group, and 2 of them I think are couples.

My instructor is a 30-something Asian 7.5/8, nice firm body. I deliberately acted slightly beta during the lesson, asked her a few questions, then had her observe my turn move for a few minutes after everyone else had left. She was very friendly to me and helpful. I'm guessing banging an instructor with the game skill-set and Salsa skill-set I have now is a long-shot, but this is just the beginning!!! I'm going back for 3 more lessons over the next 3 weeks, will learn the basics, and try to make some friends/contacts. I might stick with this studio for a few months while I'm learning and breaking into the scene, it seems like a solid studio.

Make sure to scout out the venues around your studio for cool bars/club so you can grab a girl to "hey its too hot after practice, let's go grab a drink. they have the best xxx at bar xyz"

Let me be honest with you: Learning how to dance is NOT a great way to meet and sleep with lots of beautiful women.

You put in a lot of your time, sweat and effort for very minimal results.

If your sole purpose is to find hot women to game at your dance class I would suggest you find other methods to meet women that will give you results proportional to the amount of effort you put in.

Sure there's going to be a bunch of hot girls in salsa class....BUT do you think those numbers are going to be superior to the sheer number of hotties you can find in a mall on a Saturday or in a university campus?

Simple daygame will have a far greater rate of return than dancing.

But if dancing intrigues you and genuinely want to learn this skill then by all means go for it. But if you're going to these classes with the intention of gaming women you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote: (08-22-2014 10:28 AM)blacknwhitespade Wrote:  

Okay, had my first Salsa lesson last night! It was fun, learned some of the basic steps, I've got homework to do. Need to take more compact steps (I was a soccer player, baseball player and runner, so I am used to longer strides). The dance studio is in a cool part of the city, not a bad commute since the lessons start after rush hour. Multiple groups taking lessons in the building at the same time. Definitely some talent, ALL of the instructors are 7+. Half, or maybe a little more than half of the students are guys, though. Mostly a 20s/30s crowd. There are 4 guys and 3 girls in my group, and 2 of them I think are couples.

My instructor is a 30-something Asian 7.5/8, nice firm body. I deliberately acted slightly beta during the lesson, asked her a few questions, then had her observe my turn move for a few minutes after everyone else had left. She was very friendly to me and helpful. I'm guessing banging an instructor with the game skill-set and Salsa skill-set I have now is a long-shot, but this is just the beginning!!! I'm going back for 3 more lessons over the next 3 weeks, will learn the basics, and try to make some friends/contacts. I might stick with this studio for a few months while I'm learning and breaking into the scene, it seems like a solid studio.

In the very beginning, you can learn salsa from almost anyone, and in my humble opinion, if you are taking classes only once a week, it will take you quite some time to build an internal vision of being a confident and competent leader (probably 6 months or more). In that regard, learning dance from a woman can be o.k. in the beginning, but really many times guy instructors are going to be much more competent in leading and giving some of the low down in leading... Additionally, you may need to read between the lines regarding what you are wanting to achieve in dance, but maybe won't really be discussed in open circles or within a class context.

Regarding some of the mechanics, yep, taking large steps is a very real tendency that guys have in the beginning to make them look and perform very beginner-ish and less smooth and more bouncy, etc. etc. But sometimes in order to get from point A to point B, you have to go through certain phases and to work on improving one thing at a time and as you get better you add the next personal item to the list that you want to improve.

So, for example, in the very beginning, I find the most important thing to be finding the beat and continuing to step no matter what in order to keep your body moving to the beat and then to count in your head. Some of this will become somewhat second nature, but you can practice some of this buy beginning to listen to more and more latin or salsa-like music and counting the beat in your head and then when you are on the floor continuing to maintain that beat in your head and stepping to the beat and certainly small steps and keeping to move. Probably the next important thing to begin to work on is keeping a decent connection with the girl and good posture and frame and basic moves to get her to follow with whatever direction that you go whether forward backward or side to side.. And sometimes merengue can be very helpful in practicing these kinds of leading/connection techniques or to incorporate your salsa moves into a moving lead.

I always attempted to spot certain areas that I specifically needed to work on, on a personal level, and maybe for you that is attempting to keep your step small-er- or small-ish... After you get used to being able to control the size of your step, then often you can learn to strategically re-employ large steps for stylistic reasons when you want to accomplish moving the girl in a large space in a short period of time (but that would be only after you are at a fairly high level of dance that you would maybe break some of the basic rules).

Personally, after about 5-6 months of dancing, I began to personally focus on ways in which I could incorporate more turns into my style, and I tend to specialize, somewhat in turns, its my own variation of a style that I have built over 12 years. Some other guys do NOT turn very much, and there certainly is NOTHING wrong with guys choosing styles that they feel works well for their own personal interests and/or tastes.

Regarding number of students and demographic make up of the ones that you are dancing in class. That sounds o.k, and you will find that attendance will likely vary from week to week, and you may want to continue to look around and ask around about ways that you can incorporate more ways to get exposure to different techniques (through other dance studios and maybe other salsa-related dance events that may occur in the future) so you may have some additions that you can use to spice up your learning 3-6 months down the road.... even going on some weekend "dance camp" get away can be very good for advancing your dance skills and experiences.

Regarding banging the instructor, to each his own. If you think that you are going to be able to achieve banging her, then good luck and no problem with the fact that you are able to accomplish it. On the other hand, I have had a lot of female dance instructors over the years, and I have NOT really considered them to be a bang objective of mine. Surely about 9 out of 10 of them were certainly bangable, and maybe even 3 out of 10 being super hot, but I did NOT consider them as bang objectives of mine, and I did NOT strive to work in any direction to attempt to bang them or to fetishize them in that way. Personally, I did NOT consider focusing on the instructors' bangability to be a good use of my energies or a good molding of my male psychology and the role that I want to play in my relationships with women.

Anyhow, BlackNWhiteSpade, I am glad that you are finding something that you feel works for you and that you are beginning to incorporate such learning into your schedule.

Quote: (08-23-2014 08:23 AM)SydneyD Wrote:  

Let me be honest with you: Learning how to dance is NOT a great way to meet and sleep with lots of beautiful women.

You put in a lot of your time, sweat and effort for very minimal results.

Agreed, and OP said that meeting and sleeping with beautiful women was one of his goals, but NOT the only goal(s) that he had.

I did NOT recall OP saying anything about having a goals to sleep with "lots" of beautiful women.

If your sole purpose is to find hot women to game at your dance class I would suggest you find other methods to meet women that will give you results proportional to the amount of effort you put in.

I think that OP already covered this, and he did NOT say anything about "sole" purpose. He said, more or less, that he loves various kinds of things related to music and that he is a musician and that he would like to become more coordinated (or maybe competent) in the dancing sphere. Maybe even life skills.. to carry further on a long-term basis, rather than the short-term goal of banging women.

Sure there's going to be a bunch of hot girls in salsa class....BUT do you think those numbers are going to be superior to the sheer number of hotties you can find in a mall on a Saturday or in a university campus?

Simple daygame will have a far greater rate of return than dancing.

I agree with you also. After being involved in dance a long time, I have already come to believe that there are way way way more hotties out in the real world - even though dance can sometimes make normal girls appear more hot than they really are and can cause girls to exude a certain level of confidence that makes them appear even more hot than they are. Probably, the truth be told and acknowledged, there are frequently more hotter and cuter girls outside of the dance scene than in the dance scene... agreed.

But if dancing intrigues you and genuinely want to learn this skill then by all means go for it. But if you're going to these classes with the intention of gaming women you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

I believe OP is saying that he wants to incorporate the learning and/or practicing of gaming skills within the dance scene, and I find NO problem with those kinds of objective or having those kinds of objectives and goals. There are a lot of combination of ways to build your game in the dance scene, to improve your game, to practice your game, and even to customize your game. There could be ways to game girls outside of the dance scene, and then as an excuse, bring them into the dance scene as a hobby or activity to do together while you are banging them. You can then "next" them every 2-3 months too, if that is suitable to your objectives - may or may NOT work in each case, but a guy can develop a large variety of strategies to incorporate game into salsa or alternatively to incorporate salsa into game.

Are there better ways to learn game and to employ game skills and tactics, most likely there are (well probably there are because I have read about some of those other ways); however, if a guy is attempting to kill a few birds with one stone, salsa dancing and learning can certainly provide a decent vehicle for striving towards the achievement of multiple objectives (and OP seems to have already stated that he has these various objectives that could be incorporated into salsa learning and dance).

OP, you might just want to tag along with JJG. He will teach you both salsa and pick up at the same time [Image: biggrin.gif]

Learning to dance is the indirect way of getting girls, just like improving yourself. Its never gonna be as effective as approaching, but you will learn valuable stuff. Body posture, musicality, having a new skill/hobby etc.

OP, or you can do both like me. When I started out I took 3 classes every week. Then I got addicted and that wasnt enough. I realize that dancing in class vs going out to dance is like posting on this forum vs going out there approaching girls. It gives theory and abstraction but you need to fucking practice.

SO i cut to 1 class per week but I go out to dance 4 times per week. I have a 3 sec rule: if I see a girl idle, I have 3 sec to invite her to dance. At first it was a slaughter bc I couldnt dance for shit. Now its been just 4 months and I can be the spotlight on the dancefloor. It also teaches you to approach fearlessly. Try it out.

I've had 4 lessons, started listening to Salsa on pandora and I think I'm finally getting the feel for the basic steps, back-and-forth, compact, feeling that walking rhythm! My dance studio has open house dances every other weekend at the studio or a dance club around town. I went out to one last week and will go to another one tonight. Lots of great dancers, I simply can't compete at this point. I danced with 4 girls last weekend, one (slighty) older woman, one younger one and a few of the instructors. I'm afraid to ask most of these girls to Salsa, like you said Dalaran, my skills/dances with these girls are gonna be timid and shitty right now. I'm afraid if I start asking these cuties to dance with me, they'll be turned off by my inexperience, classify me as beta material, and never want to dance with me again. Should I stick to dancing with the instructors and other less-experienced girls or older women at these dance events for the time being??

Also, JayJuanGee, about the lessons, yes, I'm making progress but I can definitely tell that my female instructors are not communicating enough knowledge for me to become an aggressive, confident male lead. I've been studying the moves/steps of these more experienced guys at the dance events. Would private lessons with a male instructor help? How would that work anyways since Salsa is strictly partner dancing?? I think I could squeeze more than 1 night a week into my schedule soon, but I want to make the most of my time/money to get going with this swiftly.

B_n_W_Spade:

I’m gonna respond to various of your points in the order that you brought them up. Surely, Dalaran, or any other guy can chime in also to give his perspective to the extent that each of us may have had different experiences.

Quote: (09-06-2014 07:13 PM)blacknwhitespade Wrote:  

I've had 4 lessons, started listening to Salsa on pandora and I think I'm finally getting the feel for the basic steps, back-and-forth, compact, feeling that walking rhythm!

One thing about salsa is that you can continue to learn for years, depending the level of sophistication that you want to get, and your goals can change over time. I am still learning various kinds of moves, and sometimes I am also learning what I do NOT want or various aspects of social interaction. With salsa, you can mix it up and experiment.

In the beginning your goals may merely be to achieve a bare level of competence to be able to socially dance… accordingly this may entail striving to be able to step and to hear the beat and to lead the girl (all at the same time), then maybe a little later, you may want to add that you need a variety of basic moves to lead and to hopefully be able to keep various girls entertained through a whole song. Then, a little later, you may want to add more interesting and flashy moves to your repertoire of moves. And then later you may want to be able to transition faster or more smoothly or multi-tasking appearing moves or sweep her off her feet moves, or incorporating footwork or turns or body isolation moves etc etc...

Actually, I think that you mentioned that you wanted to learn and employ flashy/sensual moves sooner rather than later, and this sometimes can be a mistake for some guys to attempt to get to that stage too quickly… Although these flashy/sensual moves can be interesting and exciting for girls (especially if the guy can execute the lead well and smoothly), I recommend getting competent at other parts of the dance first, and maybe having some flashy/sensual moves in reserve to “practice” or employ as needed with girls who want to spend more time with you.

I think that some of the very basic dance techniques you will want to attempt to practice on your own too.. especially when it comes to stepping and hearing the music and just having your own visualizations of some of the basic leads. Sometimes you can practice some of the basic dance moves without moving your body, just visualize them over and over and over and then attempt to carry them out. In the beginning, I would spend some time visualizing some new dance moves and then when I got on the dancefloor, I would force myself to remember to employ (and practice) specifically the ones that were new to my visualization.

It takes quite some time for your moves to become second nature to you (like muscle memory rather than using your conscious thinking), and in the beginning you have to spend quite a bit of time and mental energy to visualize your various moves in order that you do NOT blank out when you get to the dance floor and some beautiful doe creature is looking into your eyes and distracting you with giggles (or a sour face) and waiting for you to show her what you got.

When you get on the dance floor, you will be thankful to have a mental vision regarding various moves that you are attempting to lead.. then you try to get your body to do what your vision says.. which comes through practice over and over and over.

My dance studio has open house dances every other weekend at the studio or a dance club around town. I went out to one last week and will go to another one tonight. Lots of great dancers, I simply can't compete at this point.

Each guy is going to be different in regards to how he incorporates socialization and lessons into his schedule and whether he learns at clubs or in studios or in the park or in some backroom and/or a combination of these.
In my first several months (probably close to a year), I would practice in places outside of where I would find my target girls. Accordingly, for example, I danced with a lot of older ladies because I was attempting to get better and better at executing my lead. I would be concentrating on vrious techniques too, which was keeping track of the music and the steps etc. and smoothness and making sure that the lady was following and NOT trying to back lead me. When or if they start to get lippy, then I would move on to other women.

Actually in los angeles, I could go to a different nightclub nearly each night of the week, and sometimes I did engage in these kind of marathon sessions and then take a one hour lesson at a club or a studio and then go straight home afterwards, and then go to work the next day, and then go to the next lesson or club (including a lesson) the next night, etc etc.. In the beginning I focused on ways to best get in my dance practice, and then later as my dance skill level went up, I had been to quite a few places around the town, but I had NOT necessarily been labeled as a beginner by everyone because the LA salsa dance scene is fairly large.. and there should be a lot of dance niches in the chicago area, too.. Also, if you ever travel or find reasons to travel to dance camps that may be taking place in your destination areas, then you should attempt to incorporate dance into your trips.

Regarding inability to compete with guys in the dance arena, you are correct – and you should NOT try (especially in the beginning). You need to differentiate yourself in your own unique ways, and NOT strictly by the dance skills (at least NOT in the beginning). There may be some attributes that you can offer that other skilled dancing guys cannot, for example, you may live in the same area as one of the girls or you may be interested in some similar hobbies – and believe it or NOT, in the beginning, from your perspective, nearly everyone looks like a good or great dancer, but some of the girls either cannot really follow very well (and as a beginner lead you do NOT really realize that some of the girls are NOT as great as they seem) and some of the girls prefer to dance with fairly beginner dancers (even though they may NOT admit to such). And, there are other girls, who say that they want to dance, but they are just going to these dance places to try to meet guys and/or to socialize or exercise… which is fine too because there can be opportunities with these girls that do NOT involve dance skills.

I danced with 4 girls last weekend, one (slighty) older woman, one younger one and a few of the instructors.

Personally, in the very beginning while I was getting my dance bearings, I did NOT hang around dance places that much while I was NOT able to get in dancing or to practice because I thought that it was NOT too good for my psych (unless I felt that I was otherwise spending my time well). Surely, you may be having fun for a while when you go to the dance place or you may just find some girls to bounce out of the place, too. Some guys are o.k. with staying in the dance place and NOT dancing, but for my own style, I tried to get in practice while I could.. and maybe the extent to whlch you can practice or even socialize with girls in part depends upon the ratios of girls to guys.

If there are more girls than guys or the place is very comfortable for you, then it may be just good to hang out and meet some of the girls (and the guys) and you may find a few girls that are inclined to practice very basic dance techniques with you.. because even though you are amongst the newest of the guys now, if you keep hanging out at some of these dance venues, then after a while, you will notice that some of the girls have become newer to the dance scene than you..

I'm afraid to ask most of these girls to Salsa, like you said Dalaran, my skills/dances with these girls are gonna be timid and shitty right now. I'm afraid if I start asking these cuties to dance with me, they'll be turned off by my inexperience, classify me as beta material, and never want to dance with me again.

This being nervous and concerned about appearing beta might happen, and I had my own self consciousness, insecurities and shyness too, but over the long run you need to keep in mind that there will also be new girls coming into the dance scene over time and there are several ways to influence how people perceive you (whether too beta or NOT). You do NOT necessarily need to project your self as beta, even though you may be stumbling and bumbling in your dance moves in the beginning.. Your confidence will increase over time, and you can still project confidence, even while you are learning the dance moves. There also may be times when you need to tone down your projection of confidence because you need to focus on learning … but some of that beta-ness in learning should be expected, and you can still preserve and even redefine some of those kinds of perceptions of beta that others may develop regarding you with the passage of time and with your ongoing presentation of yourself.

Should I stick to dancing with the instructors and other less-experienced girls or older women at these dance events for the time being??

In the beginning, I think that you should dance with whomever will dance with you and follow your lead. If you want to attempt to act more Alpha and NOT be perceived as Beta, then refuse to dance with any girl’s who attempt to backlead you or any girl who complains about your lead or attempts to set the frame in any way…. After a while you are known for such… and there are ways to engage in these kinds of behaviors in tactful and/or strategic ways.

Most of the time, the female instructors are NOT good to have as dance partners but possibly in the very beginning it can be helpful to dance with them in getting your bearings… but you should be attempting to develop a few core areas of dance moves that you can lead with confidence and even develop a few to throw the girl off, so she has got to follow your lead rather than attempting to predict what you are leading or to attempt to back lead. Female dance instructors may be more challenging in the leading department, so you would need to be careful on how you play it and consider whether it is worth the extra effort(s).

Let me give you an example of owning a move that is NOT commonly done. Even as a fairly beginner (maybe six months into dancing), I embraced a few moves to throw off the girl – one move I did frequently, in the very beginning, would be to turn the girl left when girls (even advanced dancers) are so used to turning right. This shows the girl that you are in charge, and if she doesn’t like it, she should dance with someone else. It also can inspire her to have confidence in that you know what you are doing. I am using this left turn as an example, and over the years, I have evolved several of these kinds of moves to make sure that the girl is following me and NOT just doing whatever she wants… On the other hand, sometimes, there will be space to allow her to do whatever she wants, as well or to guide her to do things within your frame.

Back to the left turn. Technically, the left turn goes like this: When you dance on the 1 right turns are signaled by the guy by the count of 3, and the girl preps for the turn on the 4 (that is if she knows how to prep) and you turn her on the 5; however, in a left turn you lead her to step forward on the 5 and you turn her left on the 6 mostly by guiding her with your right hand to her left hand and also with the weight flow of your body, you let her weight come forward and then go back and wham, left turn executed. Many of these leads are easier to show rather than to describe verbally, and there are likely other ways to accomplish a solid left turn lead. I use the count to illustrate that I tend to be somewhat of a stickler for timing and following a certain kind of form that I lead the girls into (if they don’t already share some of the abilities to follow my form).. But in the beginning you may NOT be able to achieve very good synchronizing with the music and making sure that the girl is synchronized with you. By the way, I do NOT synchronize with the girl, she synchronizes with me, and I have various techniques to attempt to assist the girl with her duties to synchronize with me. If she is reluctant to synchronize with me, then we don’t need to dance.. he hehe… .
Anyhow, if you were to use the left turn lead as a means of getting the girl to conform to you move, then you do need to lead the left turn properly and smoothly in order to really do well with it, and you should employ the move strategically. I know in the beginning you are merely trying to get through the whole song and you likely tend to think that all of your moves are repetitive (which they likely are).. but having a few moves in your repertoir that challenger her and causes her to pay attention and have to follow you tends to be good so long as you lead them well and with confidence and have fun with it.

Also, JayJuanGee, about the lessons, yes, I'm making progress but I can definitely tell that my female instructors are not communicating enough knowledge for me to become an aggressive, confident male lead. I've been studying the moves/steps of these more experienced guys at the dance events. Would private lessons with a male instructor help?

You may be able to advantage from private lessons, but, even though I teach private lessons, I do NOT necessarily recommend them, unless you have a specific particular thing(s) that you want to work on and that you need assistance with. Even though through private lessons, you could get a lot of focused attention for areas in which you can focus your improvement, more frequently, you can get a lot of similar feedback through group lessons and by concentrating on your own things that you are working on without spending a lot of money on private lessons.. and you can also get these ideas by making friends with some guys who will frequently share some of their ideas for free. And, ultimately, you have to tailor what you do in dance to your own style, and too much feedback from instructors need NOT be necessary for such needs for you to create and develop your own style and visions on how to carry them out. Many times, you can get the same kind of feedback in the group lessons, and some group lessons have only a few students, so you may get as much individualized attention as you want within the group lessons.

Even though I claim to have my own dance style, my style is very much by the book in a lot of ways, which is mostly LA style dancing on 1. Sometimes girls who dance only in LA ask me about my style and from where I learned… hehehehe… Usually, I laugh at such questions, and I will respond by saying that “I learned in and around LA,” unless I am just playing with them, then I will say “I learned it when I visited mars” or some other provocative comment.

Over the years (especially my first couple of years dancing), I took a lot of group lessons in a variety of venues, and many times, I have learned best through application and experimenting and practice. Accordingly, I would find girls who were willing to dance with me over and over and over while I practiced all my fairly rudimentary and evolving techniques. You do NOT need to find the cutest girls for practicing, and primarily it is good to find girls who are happy to follow any and all your leads (and I believe that it is even better if she has less self-confidence than you… he he he)

How would that work anyways since Salsa is strictly partner dancing??

If you do decide to go down the private salsa lessons path, then I would recommend that you bring a female partner with you. The private lesson is for you, but she is going to be there as the prop to help you to learn better. You may need to say something else in order to lure her to participate in this (and the instructor should NOT charge more for a couple than for an individual, especially if you tell him that you want the lesson to be focused on you and NOT the girl, she is just a prop). It is true that Guys can teach you without a girl present, but in the beginning, it may NOT sink in so well until you have executed the move(s) with a girl.. Even better if you were to bring two girls, one for the instructor and one for you. Then he can teach you much better while leading the other girl and showing you in slow motion then you and him just keep switching partners during the class.

I think I could squeeze more than 1 night a week into my schedule soon, but I want to make the most of my time/money to get going with this swiftly.

Yep, it is good to add additional nights to your salsa practice (learning) in order to focus and to improve your dance by immersion… the more time you can dedicate for learning and practicing into your schedule, the better you will be able to begin to bring your salsa learning to new levels.. and to begin to exude higher levels of confidence.