rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Women go online to protest 'everyday sexism'

http://news.yahoo.com/women-online-prote...55940.html

LONDON (AP) — When Laura Bates was followed home one night by a man from her bus, she didn't think much of it. Incidents like that just seemed to be part of living in London.

But the writer said several other similar situations followed within days: One stranger shouted obscenities at her out of a car window. Another propositioned her forcefully in a cafe. A third groped her on the bus, and commuters looked away when she spoke up. She was startled not so much by the incidents — but how accustomed she had become to brushing such behavior aside and not taking action.

"I started talking to other women, and I couldn't believe how many stories they had. I think many of us just think 'maybe I'm unlucky,'" said Bates, 27, in an interview. "Just like me, so many of them said 'until you asked me, I've never talked to anyone about this.'"

Those conversations triggered the birth of the Everyday Sexism project, a website that Bates set up for women to share their experiences of sexism and harassment in their daily lives — in the office, on the train, in school or on the street. Two years on, what started as a simple idea has become a movement that is steadily gaining momentum, galvanizing support from politicians, police and thousands of women and men from Britain and beyond.

The project has collected 70,000 posts from some 20 countries, describing a wide range of unwelcome behavior and offenses from a colleague's casual comment to unreported rapes. Many tell of assault, threats of violence and verbal abuse in public places. Others report seemingly innocuous behavior and comments: One woman tells how a sales assistant handed back her change to her male friend, after she had paid for the goods.

Some are disturbing because those posting are so young: A 12-year-old wrote to tell how she was told to "get back in the kitchen" by her male classmates when she raised her hand to say something, and numerous preteens say they are harassed daily by men who shout at or touch them on the way to school.

The outpouring on Bates' website, and the attention it has garnered, has translated into some successes offline. Bates has addressed a United Nations-hosted forum and worked with British politicians, schools and businesses, and she and other activist groups have collaborated with British Transport Police to help reduce sexual assault and unwanted sexual behavior on subway trains and buses.

"The greatest problem is a high degree of underreporting," said Inspector Ricky Twyford, who oversees the force's awareness campaign. That has improved in the past year or so, he said. "Definitely there has been a shift in the confidence and awareness of people who either experienced or witnessed it to come forward."

Bates said she was surprised that despite perceived equality in the workplace, sexism in the office remains the most commonly voiced concern on her website.

"There were men in their office printing off pictures of female applicants and rating them out of ten. Other women say their colleagues went to strip clubs at lunch time with clients and they just missed out on these deals," she said. Many such incidents go unreported largely because women are afraid of losing their jobs, she said.

The popularity of social media has been key in sparking interest and debate in women's rights campaigns like Bates'. When a disturbed young man who had professed hostility to women went on a shooting rampage in California in May, hundreds of thousands of women worldwide turned to Twitter to reflect on the misogyny they experience in their own daily lives, using the hashtag YesAllWomen.

Bates said the online community has encouraged women to speak out against sexism even if they have been ridiculed or told "not to make a fuss about it" elsewhere.

"That doesn't work anymore because suddenly 50,000 people are saying the same thing. The social media age has enabled a sort of collective action and made people feel courageous," she said.

Not all the reactions have been positive. Critics have argued that the focus is too trivial and distract from more important women's issues. Others say some of the behavior described in the entries does not count as sexism, or claim the women are being overly sensitive.

Bates has plans to expand the project's reach to places from Mexico to Serbia to India, and says there is still much to be done at home. Sexualized images of women are still everywhere, she said, a major influence on how women are treated from day to day. This week, when Prime Minister David Cameron announced a government shakeup to promote more women to the Cabinet, British tabloids chose to focus on what the female politicians wore and how they styled their hair.

"People say sexism doesn't exist anymore," Bates said. "But it really is one of those things where once you see it, you can't stop seeing it all around you."

___

Online: everydaysexism.com

This thread and this thread (which are both on the front page right now) perfectly illustrate the cognitive dissonance of the leftist mindset that is produced by the culture of victimhood. Essentially, progressives believe in a hierarchy of victimization based on race, ethnicity, sexuality and other factors. The exact structure of the hierarchy is not clear (i.e. who is a greater victim, a black woman or a homosexual?) except for the fact that heterosexual, Christian white men are at the very bottom, meaning they can never be victims and that they are always responsible for oppression. This means that these men essentially become a scapegoat for any type of non-progressive action taken by members of protected progressive victim classes.

So how does that work? "Street harassment" is the perfect example. Anyone who has been to London or any major cosmopolitan city in the United States knows that the vast, vast majority of "street harassment" or catcalling is perpetrated by men of color, usually black, hispanic or West Asian/Indian/Arab. Whether this is due to cultural or biological factors is irrelevant, the reality is that men from these groups represent the vast majority of the men responsible for catcalling women on the street. The videos posted in the other thread I link attest to this fact, as does both statistical and anecdotal evidence worldwide.

And yet never will feminists, the majority of whom are coddled white women, make a peep about the race of the perpetrators. It's always "men" who are responsible, not men of color. This is because progressives are incapable of assigning guilt or blame to a protected class, to a group with victim status. And so "men", which in the media, academia and legal system basically means "white men" (remember, white men are the ultimate oppressors in the progressive religion, essentially a Satanic group) are portrayed as being responsible. The result is that the vast majority of white men, most of whom are too pussified to even approach a woman while drunk in a bar, are vilified in our culture as potential rapists and cat callers. It's just a complete distortion of reality produced by progressive cognitive dissonance, and serves to further poison relations between the sexes and further emasculate white men ("Oh my God I can't say anything to that attractive woman, I don't want to harass her!"). Meanwhile, the men of color continue to give zero fucks, continue to cat call at will and are never called out for their behavior by feminists.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (07-21-2014 01:34 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

Meanwhile, the men of color continue to give zero fucks, continue to cat call at will and are never called out for their behavior by feminists.

"heterosexual, white Christian men" VS "men of color"
Did you forget to add "muslim" to "men of color" ?

Dear Lord, another "white men are victims and men of color are the true oppressor" post.

I wonder if this will ever stop on the RooshV forum.

Quote: (07-21-2014 02:03 PM)mikado Wrote:  

Meanwhile, the men of color continue to give zero fucks, continue to cat call at will and are never called out for their behavior by feminists.

Dear Lord, another "white men are victims and men of color are the true oppressor" post.

Mikado, why are you so insistent on creating drama and white knighting for Muslims? Scorpion didn't even mention Islam in his above post.

I've seen you do this before where the issue wasn't even relevant, it's like instead of Indian Race Trolling you're acting like a Muslim Religion Troll (the new MRT).

Furthermore, you didn't even logically debate any of his points, which is how discussion is supposed to function on the forum, you just got emotional.

This thread and this thread (which are both on the front page right now) perfectly illustrate the cognitive dissonance of the leftist mindset that is produced by the culture of victimhood. Essentially, progressives believe in a hierarchy of victimization based on race, ethnicity, sexuality and other factors. The exact structure of the hierarchy is not clear (i.e. who is a greater victim, a black woman or a homosexual?) except for the fact that heterosexual, Christian white men are at the very bottom, meaning they can never be victims and that they are always responsible for oppression. This means that these men essentially become a scapegoat for any type of non-progressive action taken by members of protected progressive victim classes.

So how does that work? "Street harassment" is the perfect example. Anyone who has been to London or any major cosmopolitan city in the United States knows that the vast, vast majority of "street harassment" or catcalling is perpetrated by men of color, usually black, hispanic or West Asian/Indian/Arab. Whether this is due to cultural or biological factors is irrelevant, the reality is that men from these groups represent the vast majority of the men responsible for catcalling women on the street. The videos posted in the other thread I link attest to this fact, as does both statistical and anecdotal evidence worldwide.

And yet never will feminists, the majority of whom are coddled white women, make a peep about the race of the perpetrators. It's always "men" who are responsible, not men of color. This is because progressives are incapable of assigning guilt or blame to a protected class, to a group with victim status. And so "men", which in the media, academia and legal system basically means "white men" (remember, white men are the ultimate oppressors in the progressive religion, essentially a Satanic group) are portrayed as being responsible. The result is that the vast majority of white men, most of whom are too pussified to even approach a woman while drunk in a bar, are vilified in our culture as potential rapists and cat callers. It's just a complete distortion of reality produced by progressive cognitive dissonance, and serves to further poison relations between the sexes and further emasculate white men ("Oh my God I can't say anything to that attractive woman, I don't want to harass her!"). Meanwhile, the men of color continue to give zero fucks, continue to cat call at will and are never called out for their behavior by feminists.

I predict the answer will be an ever-encroaching police state, as happened in California with their immigrant surge.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

I didn't read any blame assigned to men of color, or any suggestion that they oppressed anyone...the post characterized catcalling as "non-progressive action", a category which includes just about everything on this forum.

As the post said, the problem isn't anything men are doing but the unhinged cognitive dissonance among feminists: feminists take their fabricated outrage over getting attention from non-white men and identify that emotional state with all men...however, they can't psychologically admit to themselves that their disdain for lower-class non-white men is the reason for that outrage, as their internal ideology tells them that they're "allies" of those very same men they despise. Hence the customary hysterics.

Quote: (07-21-2014 02:10 PM)LeBeau Wrote:  

Mikado, why are you so insistent on creating drama and white knighting for Muslims? Scorpion didn't even mention Islam in his above post.

I've seen you do this before where the issue wasn't even relevant, it's like instead of Indian Race Trolling you're acting like a Muslim Religion Troll (the new MRT).

Furthermore, you didn't even logically debate any of his points, which is how discussion is supposed to function on the forum, you just got emotional.

This is because every time I see "hetero white christian men", every single time, Islam comes in the debate after. And not because of me. I never introduced Islam BEFORE someone else did.

Anyway this debate is interesting, and I will give my input later.

Perfect post. There was a cartoon on street harassment floating around awhile back, and not a single perpetrator was depicted as other than white.

The only thing I would add is that the more likely a group is to react with the emasculated attitude you describe, the more likely it is to be attacked with this PC stuff. I believe this is why the tech industry, sci fi/geek community, gamers, etc. are being targeted: because those groups tend to be liberal, educated, passive 'nice guys' who respond to criticism by rolling over and apologizing.

Are you telling me that there is more sexism in tech than there is in the oil and gas industry, construction, finance, law, defense, real estate? Doubt it. But if you came at one of those industries with Donglegate they would laugh at you and go back to making money.

3 day ban for mikado for trying to start drama

My sense is that "street harassment" or cat calling has more to economic status and level of education than race or anything else.

I'm pretty sure that you went back in a time machine to the early parts of the twentieth century, you'd see plenty of white guys cat calling girls.

Great post by Scorpion, but only true in Washington D.C., London, and liberal strongholds.

Where I'm from, white guys are tough guys who drive trucks, and black guys are tough too. They just don't drive trucks.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned from RVF is never go to the UK or Washington DC.

Quote: (07-21-2014 02:28 PM)mikado Wrote:  

This is because every time I see "hetero white christian men", every single time, Islam comes in the debate after. And not because of me. I never introduced Islam BEFORE someone else did.

Anyway this debate is interesting, and I will give my input later.

Unfortunately @Scorpion is right.

Though the point is albeit a bit more differentiated.

In Germany first generation immigrants were usually from Turkey (the backwards East) and some from Africa. Usually they did not have many problems with the first generation immigrants.
Strangely the second generation descendants from Africa are like black Germans - no different to German mentality except for skin-color. The Turkish descendants however have often created a strange underclass even in the 3rd generation.

The problem is worse in the Netherlands or in France. The Muslim religion is not the problem per se here. It is the lax laissez-faire raising of the men by their families, which pamper them and let them act without abandon. That and a total disregard and contempt for the sluts of today in comparison with the chaste morals in their Muslim homecountries creates a not quite civilized mindset. In effect their contempt for slutty girls attracts them even more during school and hardens their beliefs about modern women. In the Netherlands practically all new pimps are from Muslim background - young guys. While a part of it is Red Pill, another part is simply going towards really violent behavior (hitting girls when they reject them on the streets).

So the topic is not racist or religion-bashing here. RVF members are likely the most diverse groups around.

When there is a problem with a current group or religion during one time in one country that does not mean that everyone is starting to bash them without discrimination. It is what it is and we should be free to discuss that with an open mind and some detachment. Only because many Germans were Nazis and after the initial successes of Hitler the majority supported them does not mean that all Germans were bad or even remained that way until eternity. One should be open to accept the weaknesses that one nationality or even religion in one region displays for now. Who cares? It is not you and those things change over time anyway.

@KorbenDallas Don't forget Toronto (or Toh-rrronn-toh) as Dagonet calls it (gotta roll those r's baby!)

In this case the point isn't whether the underlying cause of the issue is due to racial, cultural, social or economic factors, it's simply that the issue exists, and that it is wholly denied by progressives and feminists.

It would literally be like if a specific auto maker had cars that were spontaneously exploding and killing people, but instead of publicizing that fact progressives were hysterically shouting that "ALL CARS ARE DEATH TRAPS!", extending a problem with a small minority subset to the entire population.

It is basically a willful denial of plain reality for ideological reasons.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (07-21-2014 05:16 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

In this case the point isn't whether the underlying cause of the issue is due to racial, cultural, social or economic factors, it's simply that the issue exists, and that it is wholly denied by progressives and feminists.

It would literally be like if a specific auto maker had cars that were spontaneously exploding and killing people, but instead of publicizing that fact progressives were hysterically shouting that "ALL CARS ARE DEATH TRAPS!", extending a problem with a small minority subset to the entire population.

It is basically a willful denial of plain reality for ideological reasons.

It also reflects the inherent racism of white women as well, but that white women are too brainwashed to simply come out and say it.

I also think that if white women were to become more racist, then white men would be sure to follow as well. Not a good situation.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

[Image: attachment.jpg19973]