rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

I think most of us usually try to find accommodation in the center of whatever city we go. Most large cities have one or two very nice suburbs or neighborhoods not in the center but with good access to the center.

If you consider Buenos Aires, the Palermo area arguably has better nightlife, cafes, and shopping than the core center.

I'm currently in a suburb of Kharkiv (near Studentska/Heroes of Labor). This area has better night clubs, gyms, supermarkets, and shopping than the center, and it's cheaper too. The center has more restaurants and cafes, but there are enough quality cafes and bars in my suburb that I don't feel like I'm missing out on that. The center has a higher concentration of hot girls walking about during the day, but at night, most the action is at the nightclubs in the suburbs.

Question to Kiev experts: is there a premier suburb of Kiev? A place with a direct metro line to the center, a place with better nightlife, gyms, supermarkets, and cafes than the actual center?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

What nightclubs are by you?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

So yeah, in Kharkiv, I'm near two really good ones: Radmir and Plazma. Bolero can be very good, it's a short taxi from me. Kompass is very close although not my favorite. There's a large bar/cafe called AltBier nearby, it get busy at times, sometimes has live bands, excellent beer.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were in Kiev already. I've only ventured out a few times to the suburbs but in terms of nightclubs the best ones - at least in my experience - are near the center. Forsage and Saxon are a bit out there and I've only been to the latter. While you get more of a wow factor as the only foreigner, the quality of girls and number of options is decreased.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

The area between m.Minskaya and the river Dnepr fits your description. I would avoid the left bank and anywhere else more than two stops from the central triad.

After saying that, the area on the hill with the two cathedrals is the nicest area in the entire FSU if you drive.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-10-2014 08:43 AM)slubu Wrote:  

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were in Kiev already. I've only ventured out a few times to the suburbs but in terms of nightclubs the best ones - at least in my experience - are near the center. Forsage and Saxon are a bit out there and I've only been to the latter. While you get more of a wow factor as the only foreigner, the quality of girls and number of options is decreased.

In Kiev you should ideally be in the centre, or at least a trendy neighbourhood outside of the centre if such things exist.

Shooters is a short taxi ride from Kreschatik
Arena City is at the end of Kreschatik
Yes Saxon is a bit far away, and yes totally agree that the quality is rather low as is the English proficiency.
Sorry Babushka is also a short ride away.

Let's hope that Kreschatik becomes a normal street again in the not so distant future and they get rid of those fascist squatters that have made the street their home

William are you planning to move to Kiev?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Yeah, Akula mentioned the protesters are still camped in the center, I suppose that might divert some nightlife to the suburbs.

I have no solid plans other than to stay in Ukraine. One thing I enjoyed about Odessa was finding other expats to hangout with, something lacking in Kharkiv.

Yes Musketeer, I was wondering what are the trendy areas outside the center. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

How difficult is it to get a long-stay visa in Ukraine these days?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

I'm in Kiev right now staying by Maidan. I've never been here before the revolution but I don't think it's ideal to live in the center right now. The protesters are really obnoxious and they won't go away. Nightlife around Maidan is shit. Shooters was good last Saturday, this weekend I may check out Forsage.

I haven't been to the suburbs yet so I can't say what a good area is outside of the center.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

^^^ will 2nd center nightlife sort of sucking as I'm in Kiev too.

Decadence and Sky Bar were pretty lame last weekend - seemed like all sem-pro sponsor seekers and hookers. Moreso that what I've heard in the past, maybe it's just bc of the summer/maiden crowd who knows. Having been in Russia for so long and knowing what that scene is all about the last thing I want to do is ogle a bunch of dolled up money-grubbing sponsor seekers. Could have just been an off night, but I am not inclined to go back.

Shooters seems to be the 'old stand by' so always has something going on. Going to check out Forsage and Sorry Babushka at some point.

Be aware that Kreshatik is really only bad in the very center where it's completely full of the Maiden crowd. The rest of the street past Chateau going towards Arena seems to be business as usual. Even in the very center there's always a ton of normal people going to and fro so it seems safe, if strange and all messed up. So it depends on what you mean by 'the center' I guess.

As for nightlife getting diverted to the suburbs, that could be the case, but since the currency has devalued here and prices have risen I have to assume that a lot of people are cutting back on going out in general. Will try to venture out a bit more this weekend and find out more.

2015 RVF fantasy football champion

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

The area that Artema street extends into is avery nice area. I lived for 2 years in the section of Artema st that was in the center but only like a 10 minute walk to the area I am talking about. There is a metro stop there, starts with an "L". It is not far from US embassy. This area has many cafes, and stuff and it considered good.
In Kiev as long as your near a metro station you are gold. This isn't NYC where a train ride can take over 1 hour. I think the time from one end to another is rarely pass 15 minutes tbh.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-10-2014 10:12 AM)DaveR Wrote:  

The area between m.Minskaya and the river Dnepr fits your description. I would avoid the left bank and anywhere else more than two stops from the central triad.

After saying that, the area on the hill with the two cathedrals is the nicest area in the entire FSU if you drive.

Left bank actually wasn't bad in the day. Quick train ride in and they had chicks not corrupted by sponsors.

I think you are talking about Obolon?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

The area of Hydropark has few clubs / beach bars which are less frequent by foreigners, harder with English but many girls that not used to foreigners.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-10-2014 11:51 AM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

Quote: (07-10-2014 10:12 AM)DaveR Wrote:  

Left bank actually wasn't bad in the day. Quick train ride in and they had chicks not corrupted by sponsors.

I think you are talking about Obolon?
Yep. The river embankment near Obolon and one station further out. A lot of new development has gone on there and it's now considered somewhat elite (but the cathedral hill is still tops).

Quote: (07-11-2014 02:50 AM)diego69 Wrote:  

The area of Hydropark has few clubs / beach bars which are less frequent by foreigners, harder with English but many girls that not used to foreigners.
I guess he could live there in a tent for free. Will be a bit cold when Winter rolls in though.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

One poster here recently was raving about Podil the old part which is just outside the centre. Are the reviews justified?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-11-2014 07:03 AM)Maximilian I Wrote:  

One poster here recently was raving about Podil the old part which is just outside the centre. Are the reviews justified?

Podil is nice but a bit off to the side. Technically it is considered center.
Kind of like the 'village' is in Manhattan compared to Madison ave midtown.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-11-2014 10:41 AM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

What district would you recommend?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-11-2014 11:15 AM)Maximilian I Wrote:  

Quote: (07-11-2014 10:41 AM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

What district would you recommend?

Lukianivka train stop area of Shevchenkivski.
. Technically not center so cheaper to rent/buy but cafes and stuff on the main street and 1 stop s on metro to zoloti vorota which is the center right next to Golden irish pub (they use to have singles night lol).
Also trolly bus goes right down the main street so you aren't limited to metro. On a nice day you can walk to Sophia and the main street.

Although Podil was nice( talking many years ago) and the top club, Al Capone(closed like 8 yrs now) was at the metro stop closest to it..it is not that accessible accept by metro. 2 stops on metro to main center.
Harder to flag down cars( gypsy hitchhiking) because the area is a bunch of small blocks. It was never cheap either.

I lived like 10 minute walk to that metro although I was in center technically and stop wasn't. 1 things I learned about Kiev:

Living near a metro stop is almost better than pussy..said almost.
It is the fastest way to get around and beats even cab rides sometimes. Unlike NYC I don't think I ever waited more than 3 minutes for a metro and the trip is fast.

Even today you can rent a 1 room flat for 5500 grv near Lukianivska. This is long tern rent but I am sure a smart person can find ways to convince the landlord that you planning to stay longer [Image: blush.gif].

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Why would you go to all those crappy clubs when you can go to Muzei or Dali Park?

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Any idea which place is very strong tonight and in general every Thursday? All the usual places are semi full, I wonder if there is a special party spot for Thursday.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-17-2014 09:12 AM)diego69 Wrote:  

Any idea which place is very strong tonight and in general every Thursday? All the usual places are semi full, I wonder if there is a special party spot for Thursday.

Not sure but I'd avoid Sorry Babushka. Went there last Thursday and it wasn't good. I had a SNL from Shooters last night, so I'd recommend checking out Shooters on a Wednesday. The girls weren't amazing looking but I'll definitely go back next Wednesday.

Edit: not so sure about Forsage either on a Thursday. I haven't been on a Thursday, but last Friday it was weak. On Saturday I'm thinking to check out FOrsage. Saturdays seem to be better than Fridays.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-17-2014 09:57 AM)travolta Wrote:  

Not sure but I'd avoid Sorry Babushka. Went there last Thursday and it wasn't good. I had a SNL from Shooters last night, so I'd recommend checking out Shooters on a Wednesday. The girls weren't amazing looking but I'll definitely go back next Wednesday.

Edit: not so sure about Forsage either on a Thursday. I haven't been on a Thursday, but last Friday it was weak. On Saturday I'm thinking to check out FOrsage. Saturdays seem to be better than Fridays.

Sorry Babushka is only crowded on weekends. Forsage has people everyday, however from Sun-Wed usually only 1 floor open. Thursday should be fine. Also keep in mind it's summer holiday now - last year it picked up end of August when students are back.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Any update's on Kiev ?
I'm dying to go back there.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:32 PM)Thailand_Veteran Wrote:  

Sorry Babushka is only crowded on weekends. Forsage has people everyday, however from Sun-Wed usually only 1 floor open. Thursday should be fine. Also keep in mind it's summer holiday now - last year it picked up end of August when students are back.

I'm not sure when you were in Kiev last, but Sorry Babushka definitely is not a good place anymore. I've been on a Thursday, Friday, and a Saturday. It's been pretty bad every time (lots of funny looking people in their 40's). Whenever I tell girls that I went to Sorry Babushka they literally start laughing and saying how bad the place is. Maybe it's a seasonal place. Nightlife in Kiev was really bad overall this July. Day game is still a good option. I just got to Odessa so hopefully nightlife is better here.

Kiev's Center vs Suburbs

Quote: (07-24-2014 11:03 AM)travolta Wrote:  

Quote: (07-17-2014 03:32 PM)Thailand_Veteran Wrote:  

I'm not sure when you were in Kiev last, but Sorry Babushka definitely is not a good place anymore. I've been on a Thursday, Friday, and a Saturday. It's been pretty bad every time (lots of funny looking people in their 40's). Whenever I tell girls that I went to Sorry Babushka they literally start laughing and saying how bad the place is. Maybe it's a seasonal place. Nightlife in Kiev was really bad overall this July. Day game is still a good option. I just got to Odessa so hopefully nightlife is better here.

I hear Indigo is much better then Sorry Babushka, which I never liked much.