rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Today I Invested $1 For My Health

Today I Invested

For My Health

tl;dr - 10 minutes of jumping rope is equal to 30 minutes of jogging. Jump rope was a $1. Hopefully, even the busiest person can find 10 minutes to work out.

I bought a jump rope at the 99 cent store.

I just did about 30 minutes of jumping rope (which is probably more like 15 to 20 minutes) considering how many times I smacked myself and little pauses between sets (which is jumping rope until I hit myself).

Lately, I work lift in the morning and at night I have been going for 45 minute walk - down to the park, a few laps, and walk back.

However, I was never covered in the sweat after my walks as I was after jumping rope. And all I had to do was go downstairs by the garage. Minimal effort, no driving to the gym, etc.

I had heard before that 10 minutes of jumping rope is the same as 30 minutes of jogging. I decided to research that and found this article, which confirms what I had heard before.

Even if you guys are really time constrained, if you can squeeze in 10 minutes of jumping rope, you will still get a good workout in.

Now if I can only find some foam rollers to massage my muscles with at the 99 cent store [Image: biggrin.gif]

Quote:Quote:

Is 10 Minutes of Jumping Rope Equivalent to Running 30 Minutes?

There was a report that was circulating this week about how 10 minutes of jumping rope is equivalent to running 30 minutes.

After doing a little research I found a few research studies that have been published on the benefits of jumping rope; one study was in The Research Quarterly, a journal of the American Association for Health, Physical Education and Research.

It was a comparative study of rope skipping and jogging, and tried to determine the effects of each on cardiovascular fitness.

Led by John A. Baker at Arizona State University, the study divided 92 male students into two groups, half skipped rope for 10 minutes a day, the other half jogged for 30 minutes a day. After six weeks, the men were administered the Harvard Step Test to measure their cardiovascular gain. Each group showed an equal level of improvement.

Baker concluded that a 10-minute daily program of rope jumping is as efficient as a 30-minute daily program of jogging for improvement cardiovascular efficiency. He went on to recommend that jumping rope, which is less time-consuming than jogging, would be a valuable component of any physical education program geared toward building endurance. He also viewed jumping rope as an option for adults who were unable to jog because of time or space restriction.

One researcher at Temple University saw measurable gains in cardiovascular fitness in a group of adult men who engaged in progressive rope skipping. In another small study, women who jumped rope for five minutes a day over a four-week period were rewarded with lower pulse rates, increased oxygen uptake and a 25% improvement in physical work capacity.

Skipping rope has also been found in other studies to reduce tension and raise energy levels. Subjects in experiments at Illinois University’s Physical Fitness Research Center were studied while skipping rope during a 60 minute, five day a week, ten week period. The results were greater leg and knee strength, increased calf size, better jumping ability, and faster running speed. They were also found to be more agile, more flexible, and their hearts were found to have become stronger.

Jumping rope will burn off 720 calories an hour (at 120-140 turns per minute and depending on body weight) which is the same as running at close to a six mile pace. If the intensity is increased (i.e # of foot taps) one can increase caloric expenditure to 1000 calories or more per hour, again depending on body weight. A boxer can hit 300 RPM in a minute of jumping rope.

These studies suggested that average people, non-athletes, could experience significant benefits from a form of exercise that required only a small time commitment and a minimal investment in equipment. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have the highly trained athlete, like the boxer that was mentioned, who can increase his endurance, improve balance, coordination, agility and quickness through his training. Those attributes are needed for all other athletes and you can take advantage of this training effect as well.

Try adding some jump roping into your training routine especially if you’re doing any type of interval or circuit training work. Start slow and increase your toe taps over time. I average about 125 toe taps or RPM for every minute I jump rope. For more information on adding it into your routine see Ross Enamait’s site.

The following statistics on jump roping were found on the Jump Rope Institute website founded in 1996 by former Olympian Buddy Lee. According to his site, “research has shown jumping rope for a minimum of five minutes a day can improve physical fitness and when you build to ten minutes of nonstop jumping at 120 RPMs it can provide the same benefits as the following”:

30 minutes of jogging
2 sets of tennis singles
30 minutes of racquet and handball playing
720 yards of swimming
18 holes of golf

http://michaelwoodblog.com/2013/09/21/850/

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Today I Invested

For My Health

I used to train with a jump rope all the time when I was training in mixed martial arts and when I boxed when I was younger. It's an excellent work out and it's great for footwork and rhythm. It's a great tool to have and you can do it anywhere.

I pretty much only play Basketball now, but I never pick up the jump rope when I train for this. I had a bad game today I think I my cardio could do with a tune up. You've inspired me to break mine out tomorrow.

Today I Invested

For My Health

I love bringing a jump rope to the gym for warming up. Its extra motivation before you work out because usually it ends up like "wow i cant believe I just did that many without messing up", so then I get excited to see progress i can make in the weightroom.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Quote: (06-30-2014 09:08 PM)SteezeySteve Wrote:  

I love bringing a jump rope to the gym for warming up. Its extra motivation before you work out because usually it ends up like "wow i cant believe I just did that many without messing up", so then I get excited to see progress i can make in the weightroom.

That's a good idea, I need to do a much better jump warming up and getting the blood flowing before lifting. I think I will spend another whole dollar and buy another one for my gym routine.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Today I Invested

For My Health

You should invest 10 and get nice thick rope, they get you more exhausted and train you more.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Quote: (06-30-2014 11:28 PM)evilhei Wrote:  

You should invest 10 and get nice thick rope, they get you more exhausted and train you more.

Get a thick rope and a speed rope. And don't believe any research from Arizona State. I've seen what goes on there.

Today I Invested

For My Health

I have two high-quality ropes sitting in my closet, and was trying to think of a good traveling workout that I could do in a hotel room or apartment on the road. This might suit me well.

The problem for me are the welts. Until you get good at technique (which if you're rusty like me, takes a few times of doing it again), a heavy rope made out of heavy-gauge leather or rubber will fuck up your body every time you miss. It's a good incentive to improve quickly, but still.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Today I Invested

For My Health

samsam, thanks. I also have a rope just sitting in my closet that I now plan on using again.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Quote: (07-01-2014 09:07 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

The problem for me are the welts.

Maybe a chick will get turned on by them and ask for you to bring it out for some rougher stuff [Image: biggrin.gif]

Today I Invested

For My Health

I just realized tl;dr stands for 'too lazy didn't read'. I understand now.

[Image: mindblown.gif]

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Today I Invested

For My Health

Easiest way to get good at jump-rope- join a boxing gym. 3 minute intervals of jump rope, 30 s break, repeat ad naseaum.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Today I Invested

For My Health

Quote: (07-02-2014 02:30 AM)DVY Wrote:  

Easiest way to get good at jump-rope- join a boxing gym. 3 minute intervals of jump rope, 30 s break, repeat ad naseaum.

Boxing gyms should provide sparring opportunities above everything else. Jumping rope can be done at home.

Today I Invested

For My Health

This sounds almost too good to be true. I could definitely use an intensive cardio like this when I'm working on the computer. Step outside, do 10 minutes of jump rope, people might look if you're in Starbucks though.

Jump rope is exhausting, I remember doing them in warm ups for muay thai, 10 minutes is no easy task.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Blondie: It's not a joke, it's a rope, Tuco.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Dammit your thread title baited me...then I found out it was about jumping rope.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Today I Invested

For My Health

My cheap jump has broken off at the part where the plastic rope rubs against the handles. What this has resulted in is actually a better jump rope.

I should have realized this sooner, I have seen guys at the boxing gym tying a knot on their ropes.

When it is too long obviously it can drag at the bottom or you may have to keep your arms higher in an unnatural position.

When my rope was shortened I had a much smoother, consistent and relaxed motion, was able to go much longer without an interruption.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Have you tried double unders? It took me a while, but I got up to 50 unbroken double unders at one stage - they can leave you in a quivering mess after only a few minutes.

The trick when starting out is to combine single jumps with double unders. For example, get a rhythm going with 3 single jumps followed by one double under. Then three singles with two consecutive double unders. Then keep adding to that until you can get at least five unbroken double unders. From there you can begin to do away with the single jumps and increase the number of double unders.

Don't bend your knees in order to give the rope more room to pass under - you will lose momentum that way. Just concentrate on springing up to a consistent height on every jump. Also, minimize arm movement when turning the rope - a slight wrist movement is all that is needed.

And never, ever do this on squat day.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Theres a reason boxers still train with rope. Its a brutal workout, a 30 min rope jumping session is in not any way close to a 30 min jog.

Today I Invested

For My Health

I've always liked how quickly your heart gets to work after jumping rope. I'm going to have to invest in a thicker one like others have mentioned in this thread.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Is it still recommended if you have starting arthritis in one knee? I imagine it might be beneficial even, but not sure.

Today I Invested

For My Health

I'm always on the lookout for efficient, travel-friendly cardio exercises. I'm buying a basic rope today and trying it out.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Quote: (02-02-2016 09:37 AM)rottenapple Wrote:  

Is it still recommended if you have starting arthritis in one knee? I imagine it might be beneficial even, but not sure.

I think the only way to know is to try. But keep in mind, you don't need to jump super high. My goal is to jump barely high enough to clear the rope. While people's goal are different if you are just looking for a good sweat, efficient and works your entire body jumping rope is a good one. I don't have the best knee (HS football) but over time I have built conditioning and my knees have not gotten worse.

Today I Invested

For My Health

Bump.

Always a good quick cardio workout. One round. 45 seconds jump rope. 15 seconds rest.

Go 10 rounds.

Today I Invested

For My Health

I'll chime in.
I've achieved an unprecedented record in my many years of love affair with jump-ropes:
For the last three months I've been able to jump every day (7 days a week,no pauses) for one hour (sometimes I add an extra 3 to 7 minutes).
I've used a variety of jump ropes over the years and though my personal favorite are the ones with weighed handles,I ve been making excellent use of my current 3 EUR jump rope (First one ,same model lasted me 5 months of intense use!)

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Today I Invested

For My Health

Heavier plastic rope played huge role in my shredding of fat this year. 5 days per week, 30 minutes. Of that 4 minutes of tabata, and rest is moderate jumping.