rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cheapest Bigger U.S. City To Live In?

Hey guys, I'm in Chicago, and I've been looking for an apartment (have to move out my relatives place by July 1st) and can't find anything affordable, (700-800), decent looking, and in a safe neighborhood at all because I don't have Good Credit, like 650+. Wondering if you guys have had any experience with anywhere. I'm in my last few weeks of my shitty low paying job as I'll be ready to quit by first week July. I'm also a daytrader and I'll be building my account balance up to a few thousand dollars by that time, while stacking up my paychecks.

I'm really considering leaving Chicago for a good year to get my money right, but I need a car if I stay or a license if I move out of state to get one later, and will have to pay for Driving Lessons again also.

Anyone been in a similar situation here?

Columbus, Ohio, is pretty reasonable actually. And it's not that far from Chicago. It also has excellent traffic.

Good traffic and cheap living generally go hand-in-hand.

Cities in FL ?
TX?
New Orleans.

I'm also in Chicago. I agree with you, we are in a very expensive region of the country. I get why Chicago is expensive as it's one of the better big cities but even out in the burbs home prices, gas prices, food, etc is way higher than much of the rest of the country.

You can live in Chicago witin your budget if you wanna be here. I've seen some nice studios in the nicer parts of Pilsen for like $600 a month. Close to the loop, good restaurants, nice area, safe. If you don't mind having roomates you could live in an even nicer area of the city.

If your thinking of moving outside of Chicago Detroit is super cheap and actually a pretty cool city despite the bad rep. Columbus Ohio as osmeone else mentioned is a cool city though I wouldn't necessarily say a large worldclass city. Atlanta is nice and cheaper. Many cities in Florida. Charleston South Carolina is a cool city, kinda expensive though there's some cheaper safe pockets near the colleges. You still trying to stay in the midwest or open to moving anywhere?

New Orleans is probably the cheapest of all the ones I've been to.

Quote: (06-15-2014 12:32 PM)monster Wrote:  

That's because it's mostly a ghetto. I haven't met anyone who liked living there. Crime is horrible, and it's not very car friendly.

Other midwest cities are pretty cheap, too. Dayton is good. You could also try Indianapolis.

I hear Zanesville's got quite a good rep.

Texas (Dallas and Houston), Florida (Tampa/Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale), Georgia (Atlanta), Arizona (Phoenix), North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham) would all be good options and good escapes from those brutal Chicago winters. You can have a very liveable 1br in all of those cities for the price range you mentioned. If you're open to having a roommate, you can get into some really nice 2/2 places in that price range.

^ Good list of cities Blackmagic. I would also include Vegas as a good city with good price rent.

Like jamaicabound and Blackmagic said, getting some roommates right now is your best option. Get roommates, save as much cash as possible and then plan your escape to another city.

Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, maybe Charlotte? How small of a city are you willing to size down to?

Having lived nearly all my life in California, Chicago seems cheap to me!

Quote: (06-15-2014 08:17 AM)ash093 Wrote:  

Hey guys, I'm in Chicago, and I've been looking for an apartment (have to move out my relatives place by July 1st) and can't find anything affordable, (700-800), decent looking, and in a safe neighborhood at all because I don't have Good Credit, like 650+. Wondering if you guys have had any experience with anywhere. I'm in my last few weeks of my shitty low paying job as I'll be ready to quit by first week July. I'm also a daytrader and I'll be building my account balance up to a few thousand dollars by that time, while stacking up my paychecks.

I'm really considering leaving Chicago for a good year to get my money right, but I need a car if I stay or a license if I move out of state to get one later, and will have to pay for Driving Lessons again also.

Anyone been in a similar situation here?

Will you be seeking employment in your new city, or is your income location-independent? You've received some excellent suggestions from a cost-to-live perspective. However, keep in mind that the other side of the ledger (income) must be considered, if you're going to be looking for a job in your new location.

Some of the cities mentioned, Tampa for example, aren't all that when it comes to employment prospects. Be careful that in your quest for cheap rent, you don't end up with a lower disposable income than if you remained in Chicagoland.

I re-read your OP and get that you have/had a shitty low-paying job. You can find a shitty low-paying job most anywhere for sure. However, assuming that you have aspirations to increase your skills and climb the income ladder, employment prospects in your target location are worth considering.

Any of the major cities in Ohio: Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been looking at Houston and Atlanta as well as Vegas. I'm looking to quit my 9.50 an hour shit job washing dishes to trade full-time. However I've heard bad things about Atlanta being high crime and bad traffic. Can't see to find an abdundance of apartments on Craigslist. Anyone got Houston connects?

Houston is also a good choice. The younger crowd is around the Montrose area. Kind of hipster. Lots of great eats in Houston. It's huge but it's spread out and you can literally park your car anywhere, very car friendly. Also no state income tax.

Follow me on Twitter

Quote: (06-16-2014 04:14 AM)ash093 Wrote:  

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been looking at Houston and Atlanta as well as Vegas. I'm looking to quit my 9.50 an hour shit job washing dishes to trade full-time. However I've heard bad things about Atlanta being high crime and bad traffic. Can't see to find an abdundance of apartments on Craigslist. Anyone got Houston connects?

Traffic is tough. There is seemingly no accurate measure for it. I've also found that talking to people about traffic doesn't help at all.

If you talk to people in Columbus, Ohio, and Austin, Texas, you'd think Columbus has worse traffic. I've lived in both cities, and Austin is much worse.

I suspect Columbus has better traffic just because people there do complain. People complain, and they do something. Meanwhile, Austin does absolutely nothing.

I guarantee that Columbus, OH has better traffic than Houston, TX or Atlanta, GA.

Follow me on Twitter

Hmm never thought Columbus would be this popular but I'm guessing the winters suck much more than Chicago? So I've narrowed it down to either staying here and roughing it out until I'm stable, Columbus after I research the city a bit, Houston, and Vegas. Anyone with experience/tips about Vegas? And what about the chicks in Columbus? Granted I'm far away from being ready (finances, body, game) I will eventually wanna start banging some shit. [Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (06-15-2014 02:26 PM)puckerman Wrote:  

Quote: (06-15-2014 12:32 PM)monster Wrote:  

That's because it's mostly a ghetto. I haven't met anyone who liked living there. Crime is horrible, and it's not very car friendly.

Other midwest cities are pretty cheap, too. Dayton is good. You could also try Indianapolis.

Man, that's pretty harsh don't you think?

What's cool about New Orleans is its practically the only city left that has resisted most gentrification and it still retains all the diverse and strange things that used to make all cities cool before being overtaken by Starbucks, Gap, Olive Garden and every other chain store & chain restaurant out there.

Quote: (06-16-2014 12:16 PM)ash093 Wrote:  

Hmm never thought Columbus would be this popular but I'm guessing the winters suck much more than Chicago? So I've narrowed it down to either staying here and roughing it out until I'm stable, Columbus after I research the city a bit, Houston, and Vegas. Anyone with experience/tips about Vegas? And what about the chicks in Columbus? Granted I'm far away from being ready (finances, body, game) I will eventually wanna start banging some shit. [Image: banana.gif]

Chicks in Columbus - see Ohio State University

Follow me on Twitter

I live in Dallas and it is rather affordable. Plus, plenty to do here and the prices aren't too bad.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

"Knowledge without mileage is bullshit" -- Henry Rollins

"Fine....you go ahead and run down the hill and fuck one of those cows. But me, I'm going to walk down and fuck 'em all" -- Wise Old Bull

I've spent time in Vegas, Phoenix, and moved to Houston a few months ago. Out of the three I liked Houston the best. It's the most expensive out of the three, but makes up for it in other ways. The cost of living is affordable, girls are pretty/pleasant, and flights to Mexico are cheap amongst other things.

Just found that getting from Chicago to Columbus is also SUPER cheap. And the apartments out there are pretty nice. Now I'm gonna start pumping out applications for a part time job to supplement my job income here and my trading profits in the meantime. I think I'm gonna make this move. It'll only be a year, LOL Any of you guys live there?

Quote: (06-15-2014 02:45 PM)Que enspastic Wrote:  

I just looked up Zanesville. What's there? Only 26K people.

Quote: (06-16-2014 10:11 PM)ash093 Wrote:  

Quote: (06-15-2014 02:45 PM)Que enspastic Wrote:  

I just looked up Zanesville. What's there? Only 26K people.

You dont want to live in Z-ville.

Follow me on Twitter

Zanesville is an inside forum joke.