rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is Apple about to jack consumers?

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/09/320368529/...phone-port

Apple may be set to end its use of the standard 3.5mm headphone connector — the mini plug — in favor of its proprietary connector. If it was to do that, new iPhones, iPads and iPods wouldn't work with old headphones. It's had more than a few industry folks and Apple fanatics upset, to say the least.

Time to figure out who is making that proprietary plug and buy that stock!

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

When has apple not jacked customers over?

The manufacturer of overrated, overpriced, brand-focused phones/tablets recently acquires the manufacturer of overrated, overpriced, brand-focused headphones.

Not really surprising they would have something like this in mind.

Apple fans are such unthinking consumer drones I doubt this will have much of a negative impact on Apple's sales, and might turn out to be quite positive. The fanboys will convince themselves that the new headphone jacks provide superior sound quality and gleefully fork over hundreds of dollars for their newest personal status symbol. I predict the Beats headphones with a prominent Apple logo will sell especially well.

Meanwhile, Steve Jobs is laughing incredulously in his grave at how pathetic his successors have been at actually innovating anything worthwhile.

Dr. Dre is laughing too, of course: all the way to the bank.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Toys will be toys.

Apple is a very flamboyant company, and given it's cult following, can literally do anything no matter how ridiculous and the fans will fall for it.

Their products really are "for the colorful" - not just the 5c.

damn this would be a good biz opportunity to get in at the start to create converting adapters from this lightport to the standard 3.5

Lemmings be Lemmings. Nothing new under the sun.

I recall a time when Apple products were enjoyed by a seemingly elite group of people who would make arguments as to why Apple offered superior computing technology.

Although generally, when speaking to people in person, the best that they could come up with is "Apple is different in every way," you could find some forum discussion where that actual merits of Apple computers were brought to bear.

This was back when Apple software was more or less incompatible with Windows software

Generally, they were far less impressive than the arguments proffered in favour of Linux, but at least they did try.

Now, there are millions of people with no significant technology needs who are happy to fork out $800 for a the newest iPhone, not because they suddenly have an unfilled technology need, but simply because it is the newest. Some of these folks are even members of this forum.

I hope that Apple continues to make customer unfriendly decisions, so that the stupidity of their customer base becomes really apparent.

It used to be that people would buy a certain brand because of the quality that they could expect. I still do this.

But if you are spending $500-800 on a device for which there is an alternative that does 95% of the same functions for only $200, you've really drunk the cool aid.

I'm the King of Beijing!

We need to start selling Apple to 1/8" audio adapters [Image: thumb.gif]

Team Nachos

The Apple iPhone is the ultimate psuedo-intellectual smartphone. People want to feel sophisticated and high-value holding one, despite the device's operating system being explicitly built for idiots. And since it's become common, people just want to buy one to fit in with the crowd, not caring about the many rapidly-becoming-industry-standard features the iPhone doesn't have. Given these observations, it's no surprise nearly every woman you see walking on the street has their face buried in one.

I'm an IPhone user and it's not like I had to shell out $800. It was around $150 with a plan. Changing the standard audio port is dumb, unless it can be vastly improved upon.

The one thing I like about apple phones that no other company I've noticed seems to get is the feel of it in your hand. The new aluminum casing compared to all the plastic shit out out there. This phone has been dropped more times than I can count and even soaked with water and everything works fine.

Quote: (06-12-2014 10:35 PM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

I'm an IPhone user and it's not like I had to shell out $800. It was around $150 with a plan.

~$800 now or $150 now and $50+/month for 2 years.

I use an iPhone (mainly for listening to music when out) and will NOT be upgrading if I have to buy an expensive-as-fuck new pair of headphones.

,,Я видел, куда падает солнце!
Оно уходит сквозь постель,
В глубокую щель!"
-Андрей Середа, ,,Улица чужих лиц", 1989 г.

Who is out there dropping $500-$800 on a device? When my upgrade date rolls around in paying $200 for the newest iPhone, are the Android phones different?

Edit: Read your above post, and is that not the way it works for everyone regardless of what phone you buy? What reason would someone have to get a phone without a contract...

Regardless, the only thing worse than this almost-straw man "Apple fanboy" being propped up are the people who hate Apple. Don't see why men are concerned with the kind of phone others have. Once you get an Apple product it gets easy to continue buying them because they all work together. I'm sure it's the same way for Android/Windows. I don't understand why people don't understand that their personal preference does not matter at all, if you're happy with your Samsung Galaxy, be happy. You don't need to validate your decision to purchase it by knocking Apple constantly.

Always used Apple computers here, and not a lemming. Older kit is excellent value for money as lemmings upgrade all the time. OS is hassle free compared to Windows.

My 'new' (2008) MacBook Pro on the latest OS doesn't seem any better or faster than the PowerBook on 10.5 that it replaced. Both were cheap at around £200 used, I got four years hard (engineering workshop) use out of the old one before HF from the plasma cutter killed it [Image: lol.gif]

iPhones etc make the company shit loads. Apple don't care that the 'geek' crowd who appreciated the earlier innovation don't like it, they are just running a profitable company. Who wouldn't do the same?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

I have a HTC One Mini which came with Beats earplugs. Apple now owns Beats and HTC One is a competitor.

I guess HTC One will stop using Beats and come up with their own earplugs. Thank God

Has anyone noticed the same fanboys of Apple and anything with an I in its product name is full of hatred for Microsoft and their tactics?

Just get Bluetooth headphones?

This is the same company who went so far to skirt the EU's rules on standardizing the micro USB plug, rather than actually adhere to the standard they got away with shoving a stupid lightning to mUSB adapter into the box.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Quote: (06-12-2014 09:49 PM)Avarence Wrote:  

The Apple iPhone is the ultimate psuedo-intellectual smartphone. People want to feel sophisticated and high-value holding one, despite the device's operating system being explicitly built for idiots. And since it's become common, people just want to buy one to fit in with the crowd, not caring about the many rapidly-becoming-industry-standard features the iPhone doesn't have. Given these observations, it's no surprise nearly every woman you see walking on the street has their face buried in one.

My iPhone 4 is the best piece of electronics I have ever bought. Incredible build quality. Dropped that phone more times than I can count and only a small scratch in the glass. Besides iOS is superior to bloated and constantly hanging/crashing Android.

I'm not an Apple fan by any stretch and find it laughable how people need a $2000 Facebook machine, but their engineering and quality control on select products (iPhone an Macbook Air) is well worth the price, particularly if you are a frequent traveller.

Again, I laugh at people with their MacBook for facebook and internet explorer too, but you can't fault the quality of Apple's products.

It is not certain this is coming, and if it is coming, it is not certain when it will be. Certainly not in the upcoming iPhone. People are afraid that because Apple is planning to allow head phones to attach to the Lightning port, they will do away with the standard audio jack. I guess that is "bad," but my life will not be disrupted if I have to buy a new set of headphones for $50.

I like Apple stuff because in my hands, it's all integrated, and it works. I value my time. I don't want to configure my phone or put Cyanogen mod on it, or all this other BS. Apple also has the largest App store of any brand, and almost always has the newest apps coming out. There's too much Apple hate going on. As if Samsung and Microsoft/Nokia really care about you. As always, if you find yourself hating, you need to reflect on why.

My hands are too big for IPhones. The Galaxy fit perfectly. My only reason. They're all essentially the same to me.

Quote: (06-13-2014 09:56 AM)Aer Wrote:  

My hands are too big for IPhones. The Galaxy fit perfectly. My only reason. They're all essentially the same to me.

You play ball?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (06-13-2014 09:59 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (06-13-2014 09:56 AM)Aer Wrote:  

You play ball?

I'm no Kawhi Leonard with my hands, but I could palm it at age 15. And yeah, I played high school and tried out for college. I'm stuck with hood street ball now, but that's fine.