rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's with the comic book/movie obsession?

Before I begin, Id like to state that I have nothing against comic book fans and this isnt a "hate" post aimed at comic lovers (I, myself, am a fan of anime/manga). [Image: smile.gif]

Perhaps some of you guys can shed light on this, though. In recent years, weve seen an absolute barrage of comic book movie adaptations and a huge reawakening of the industry. Moreover, you see a lot of adults who are genuinely interested in comics to the point where they can give you detailed explanations of this and that "hero universe". One of my good friends at work is in his mid 20s, works out, decent looking......and is absolutely obsessed with Batman, Superman, Spiderman etc. He can tell you everything about each hero, their arch enemies, minor details and so on. What Im getting at is that it isnt just kids that are into it. You see many adults who are heavily invested in this stuff, as well.

Is the comic book obsession a sign that adults nowadays are adopting a childlike mentality?

I am sick of it as well.

It is because Hollywood wants a pre-prepared audience for new films. It takes a lot less effort to get people interested in your film if they are already familiar with the concept. It is the next step on from the usual sequels and remakes they used to focus on.

Which they get when they make a film involving a comic book character people have heard of.

'Marvel Comics' realised about 15 years ago that they could make more money selling the movie rights of their characters to Hollywood than they ever could from selling comics.

They have pocketed billions.

Comic book films are one of the few places where masculinity, and moral clarity is still allowed.

Comic book heroes are valued for their strength, not their victimhood.

They put their mission before their woman - even before her safety and happiness in many cases.

Virtually none are overweight. Most are in peak physical condition.

They don't apologize for believing they are right.

I could go on, but I've got an ROK article coming on this in two weeks.

Compare the message in superhero films to the mainstream message other forms of popular media and entertainment and you'll see why they're dominating now.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Interesting perspective.

It really is the last place to push traditional masculine ideas. And the chicks swallow it up because they are distracted by the storyline.

Good spot!

It's not as bad as the vampire trend...thank God that seems to be over.

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Another factor: the advent of CGI.

Until recently you couldn't make a superhero movie that wasn't laughable with its SFX.

Quote:Quote:

Comic book films are one of the few places where masculinity, and moral clarity is still allowed.

They put their mission before their woman - even before her safety and happiness in many cases.

Good points. I just look at the genre as today's equivalent to yesterday's mythology. Joseph Campbell, and all that.

I have more respect with studios trying to be faithful to the source material and balancing out special effects with a well-written script.

Otherwise, the rest of Hollywood churns out CGI crap with zero content.
"Avatar," anyone?

Quote: (05-16-2014 11:25 AM)Sombro Wrote:  

Another factor: the advent of CGI.

Until recently you couldn't make a superhero movie that wasn't laughable with its SFX.

Quote:Quote:

Good points. I just look at the genre as today's equivalent to yesterday's mythology. Joseph Campbell, and all that.

I have more respect with studios trying to be faithful to the source material and balancing out special effects with a well-written script.

Otherwise, the rest of Hollywood churns out CGI crap with zero content.
"Avatar," anyone?

Agreed- that movie was just Dances with Wolves set on another planet.

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Which brings up another point, how faithful are these movies to the originals? From what I understand, the movies are watered-down, bluepill versions of the books (could be wrong here as I havent read them). Theres still tons of pussy pedestalization to be found in these movies. So far, the one movie that has stuck VERY CLOSE to the source material is Watchmen, and it ended up being ignored and ridiculed by the MSM.

Quote: (05-16-2014 11:33 AM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

Which brings up another point, how faithful are these movies to the originals? From what I understand, the movies are watered-down, bluepill versions of the books (could be wrong here as I havent read them). Theres still tons of pussy pedestalization to be found in these movies. So far, the one movie that has stuck VERY CLOSE to the source material is Watchmen, and it ended up being ignored and ridiculed by the MSM.

watchmen wasn't close in my opinion. Ozymandias was watered down, they had the skip the whole pirates piece and all of the 'source documents' because how do you even include something like that in a movie...wasn't bad though.

Now, as for the 'why all the comic book movies' thing. Definitely because CGI can handle it now, the stories already have fans and they stories with a 50+ year history in american culture now. Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill and John henry...those legends now include Captain American and spiderman in my opinion. It wasn't comic books that really broke open massive scale fantasy story telling though...comic book movies have existed since the 90s. Men In Black, the Mask, From Hell, Robocop, Ghost World are all under the radar comic book movies.

CGI has allowed for another 'epic scale' of movies to be made, similar to what happened in the 50s when they were making giant battle scene movies with tons of extras like Ben Hur and Cleopatra.

I think it was actually Lord of the Rings that broke it wide open though, it showed that large scale, CGI filled, multi part movies could be made, and made well enough that the over the top fans would flock to them instead of revolt.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

People want to live in a fantasy world.

Also CGI, despite the fact that it still looks very fake, has come a long way. Most of comicbook movies that come out now wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago.

Am I the only one here who hates 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Harry Potter'? I can't stand that fantasy shit.

Quote: (05-16-2014 01:33 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Am I the only one here who hates 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Harry Potter'? I can't stand that fantasy shit.

I like Game of Thrones.. probably because they don't do too much of that fantasy stuff.. also the stories are better.

Just a little perspective, there haven't been nearly as many comic book movies as there were western movies back in the day. There were hundreds of westerns made just in the 50s and John Wayne alone did almost 100.

If you're expecting Marvel movies to have red pill wisdom you will be disappointed. Its aimed at children and has been since forever.

The Avengers are the main thrust along with Ironman, Hulk etc. Marquee players in a big universe and kids love it.

Remember these films are to entertain, not educate. I like the Marvel movies because they're pure escapism and deliver on plenty of fronts for me because as a kid I grew up with Marvel action and Batman.

My 8 year old nephew loves the hell out of these movies and I wouldn't mind my kid being entertained by the franchise. There are plenty of things related to this universe which can spark a childs imagination;

- Soldier
- Astronaut
- Engineer
- EMT
- Doctor
- Scientist
- Motorcyclist/car lover

Marvel is driven by escapism and I dont necessarily identify blue pill only thinking (how I hate this wording) with it. Its a universe of possibilities, like your imagination.

Now if you want TOTAL shit look at the Transformers franchise.

I thought Iron Man was pretty bad ass.

I saw a bit of it on TV - not expecting much.

The guy is a fucking legend. Like Nicola Tesla meets Warren Buffett meets Hugh Hefner.

Movie obsession?

Big White Booty Girls III

[Image: 103095.jpg]

[Image: popcorn3.gif]

I'd watch it from start to end.

The main reason is that the business of superhero movies makes sense for Hollywood. Each studio is making fewer movies than in the past, so it cannot withstand a costly loss, as it could in the past. Instead, it bets big on a few flicks and expects that those few come through big. Superhero movies are a relatively safe bet that pay off well.

First, unlike some genres (for example, comedy), superhero movies play well to foreign audiences. A comedy film's earnings are limited to the domestic box office, a superhero movie makes big money in every country. Iron Man 3 brought in a billion dollars, in large part due to the ticket sales in foreign cinemas.

Second, there's a built in audience already. The public already knows about Superman, Spiderman, and Batman, so there's no need to worry if people will care about a story that took $200 million to tell. The sequels are even easier money because the studios know that if they serve up more of the same, the public will eat it up.

Finally, the actors are interchangeable and often unknown. Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill, and Andrew Garfield were not big names before putting on their tights. Having an unknown keeps costs down and gives the studio leverage to keep pumping out sequels.

I just saw Godzilla. As a kid I was a fan.

The movie was definitely entertaining.. much better than Pacific Rim, but they missed out on one thing that was key to Godzilla- his crazy angry eyes. That was probably the most terrifying thing about him when I remember watching the originals as a kid. It was still cool- they definitely made up for the 1990s version.

He was more like a giant bear. I saw it in 3D IMAX.. if there ever was a movie to see in that format, it's something like this.

SPOILER:

Also, they killed off the best actors way too early.

^^^ should of left more room between the spoiler alert and what happened. I'm actually sitting here waiting to see Godzilla.

Oh well.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Spoiler alert:

The movie probably sucks.

:-)

Quote: (05-16-2014 06:22 PM)Mentavious Wrote:  

^^^ should of left more room between the spoiler alert and what happened. I'm actually sitting here waiting to see Godzilla.

Oh well.

It's still worth it I think.. the trailers give away that spoiler though..

Spoiler 2:

I do wish they made Godzilla more ambivalent and destructive and angrier.. They made him too heroic. Also I'm not exactly sure why he was hunting those creatures.

First I'll throw out a theory, then answer the OP's question.

Comic books are one of the single best non-physical hobbies for boys to take up.

They aren't as big nowadays, since you also have more videogames, television, internet, etc. competing for attention.

But it's still one of the few areas of escape that isn't getting the full assault of a feminized school system and helicopter parents.

They help boys grow from both an artistic perspective, and an intellectual perspective.

How much does a kid's vocab, spelling, and reading comprehension shoot up when he's looking up the definitions behind certain villain names?

Or what about learning about the science behind what makes super powers possible?

Not to mention the moral values, and the depictions of people at their peak as something to aspire to, especially in a culture which preaches victimization and conformity.

If you work with young guys, or have young male relatives, talk to them about that stuff or buy them some of the starter comics (i.e. Marvel has versions of popular titles that have less adult content).

You might spark a journey of discovery for them.

Quote: (05-16-2014 11:02 AM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

One of my good friends at work is in his mid 20s, works out, decent looking......and is absolutely obsessed with Batman, Superman, Spiderman etc. He can tell you everything about each hero, their arch enemies, minor details and so on. What Im getting at is that it isnt just kids that are into it. You see many adults who are heavily invested in this stuff, as well.

Is the comic book obsession a sign that adults nowadays are adopting a childlike mentality?

There is something to be said for the millennial generation delaying adulthood longer and longer. That's a complex topic for another time but I agree it can certainly be a factor, especially with a focus on nostalgia.

The other aspect is that comics have become the new mythology in a lot of ways.

"With great power, comes great responsibility" is a maxim that carries weight alongside any of Aesop's fables.

Keep in mind when you read about Greek mythology for example, some of the stories are actually much more ridiculous at face value than getting bit by a radioactive spider, or developing powers as a result of being the next stage in humanity's evolution.

Yet any serious scholar of Western literature/culture will be well versed in all those ancient legends, and they have inspired or been ripped off for hundreds of subsequent stories that we consider to be essential canon in books, films, theatre, etc.

Also for today's adults, they grew up with superheroes in a way that allowed them to be disseminated through many mediums (comics, animated TV shows, action figures, videogames, etc.) so it just makes sense that when the technology is available to realize the stories in movie form, many people will look forward to it.

And I don't think that's a big generational difference. Older generations had toy soldiers too, played games like cowboys and indians outside, read pulp magazines with many military, science, detective and fantasy themes, and enjoyed the books or films about these topics well into adulthood.

Now when you look at guys similar to the main characters of "The Big Bang Theory", I don't think their failings are to do with the material they are interested in, but more so the fact that even if they were obsessed with sports instead of sci-fi, they still lack masculinity. A good example of this would be Jonah Hill's character in "Moneyball" since a baseball nerd making money is still a nerd.

I would argue that if you're holding down life as a man, there shouldn't be an expiry date on activities you enjoy, assuming you keep your masculine dignity. This actually shows non-conformity, as you don't need to bend down to an expected role as a man, the same way we reject that you have to "man up and be married with kids in your 30s".

Hard to define that I know, but some examples where society seems to make arbitrary distinctions based on media stereotypes:

Why do we celebrate guys who surf through their retirement, or vacation to ski and snowboard, but age 30 is considered too old to be skateboarding?

Capoeira mestres ("masters") in Brazil often become more revered with age, and continue to progress and teach, yet you wouldn't expect the same reverence in the dance/fitness world for breakdancers, who move their bodies in often the exact same ways.

Gymnastics is one of the single best forms of fitness possible, yet if you heard someone was taking a gymnastics class, you'd assume they were young and/or wearing tights.

And finally comics, the OP's friend is a good example of the type of wide ranging interests for young men going forward.

If Frank Underwood is going to play First Person Shooters on his Xbox or paint miniature models to unwind after a day of being Alpha, I wouldn't be surprised if you find more interesting or non-traditional hobbies staying with Red Pill players on the nights they need a break from their harem.

It's a fan boy thing. A lot of the writers, and producers grew up reading comics. Now they're in a position to bring their fantasies to life.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Card guy- as far as summer blockbusters go, it was pretty good. I go to see a movie on theaters maybe once a year. It has to be something can only be experienced well on a big screen like an amusement park ride. Godzilla was way better than any of the action suspense type movies I've seem in recent years. It's pretty solid for what it is. Don't go expecting great art, but it's definitely got good momentum like a roller coaster. There were maybe one or two weird issues with plot and characterization.

Pretty good movie

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock