rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Rock Music Thread

The Rock Music Thread

To my surprise I found very few threads about music here so I decided to open up this one for all the rock lovers.

This is a thread where we can share:
- New and old music
- News, tours, concerts etc.

And of course discuss about all other things related to rock music.

The Rock Music Thread

I'll start out with the new single from The Black Keys.
I listened to it the first time earlier today and I was hooked immediately.
Most critcs seem to hate it, but I dig it. Fresh and somewhat psychadelic.
Keep in mind this is only the single so let's see how the full album is.
What do you guys think?

The Rock Music Thread

I wonder if we're including the heavier stuff as well, i.e. metal music, or not

The Rock Music Thread

Quote: (03-25-2014 05:18 PM)Enki Wrote:  

I wonder if we're including the heavier stuff as well, i.e. metal music, or not

I say fire away. I'm always looking for new music.

Black Keys are a thumbs up from me, good stuff.

Recent stuff i like
* Really liking Pearl Jam's newest. I was never really a fan except for the 1st album, but I think they've grown on me a bit and I like this one quite a bit.
* Lately for some reason I've been liking Beck's new album, Morning Phase. I've never liked his stuff before, so I can't figure out why. Kinda reminds me of old Pink Floyd, like "Ummagumma" era stuff.
* Pharrell Williams' latest is fun & upbeat. Good for getting myself in the mood to get up and do something.

The Rock Music Thread

The Rock Music Thread

The Rock Music Thread

The latest Queens of the Stone Age album has some damn good songs. Their best album so far in my opinion.

The Rock Music Thread

The type of talent that only comes around once in a generation. Probably the greatest voice in rock history. Both Jimmy Page and David Bowie's favorite album ever:

The Rock Music Thread

For sure the new QOTSA album is awesome. I think I'm obsessed with QOTSA, I listen to them almost daily. It seems like everything Josh Homme touches turn into gold I love Kyuss, Eagles and Vultures also. Simply amazing, will definitely see them incoming summer.

The Rock Music Thread

I've never been a fan of the Arctic Monkeys UNTIL they walked into the desert with Josh Homme and had him to produce their new album AM.
It's golden. Perhaps the sexiest, drunk wasted after midnight album that have ever been recorded.
It's really really good.

The Rock Music Thread

I used to be a (part time) rock journalist back in the 1990s

Got bored of rock music in the mid to late 1990s so I stopped doing it.

The Rock Music Thread

Quote: (03-27-2014 04:17 PM)Chaos Wrote:  

I've never been a fan of the Arctic Monkeys UNTIL they walked into the desert with Josh Homme and had him to produce their new album AM.
It's golden. Perhaps the sexiest, drunk wasted after midnight album that have ever been recorded.
It's really really good.

Agreed. I think Josh Homme added the right touch. You can definitely hear the QOTSA influence.

The Rock Music Thread

Here is he performing together with the Monkeys.

The Rock Music Thread

I met The Jesus Lizard last night, and Guy from Fugazi. Still pretty blown away.

The Rock Music Thread

To me, the best rock music transcends the verse/chorus, throw down a solo on the minor pentatonic scale structure. That's actually very easy to do for musicians who know what they're doing. So I think the best rock leans more towards the progressive side.

I was a kid who was born in the mid 80s, so unfortunately after Nirvana blew up I grew up seeing a lot of shit one hit wonder bands who got signed solely for the purpose of recapturing the success of that one band. Nirvana was just really into the Beatles and knew how to write good songs, but all these asshats tried signing bands like Dishwalla and Live in the 90s and killed it.

The "good" rock bands were actually creative:

The Rock Music Thread

Well yes, but that's a matter of taste. Take AC/DC for an example, they get loads of shit thrown over them because they are keeping it simple and using three accords. But that's their secret.
It's damn hard to make great simple songs that rocks. Isn't it.

The Rock Music Thread

I think Queens of the Stone Age are the coolest band on Earth

I'm actually really happy they got rid of Nick Oliveri. There were always four talented, smartly-dressed rock musicians and a trashy loser in sandals who'd do a hash job at the bass live

Here's a slow version of 'Go With the Flow' at their Reading 2008 slot. Cool as fuck:

(We'll get onto the headliners that day in a bit)

EDIT: Forgot this! Blasphemy!

The Rock Music Thread

Quote: (03-27-2014 10:24 PM)Vitriol Wrote:  

To me, the best rock music transcends the verse/chorus, throw down a solo on the minor pentatonic scale structure. That's actually very easy to do for musicians who know what they're doing. So I think the best rock leans more towards the progressive side.

I was a kid who was born in the mid 80s, so unfortunately after Nirvana blew up I grew up seeing a lot of shit one hit wonder bands who got signed solely for the purpose of recapturing the success of that one band. Nirvana was just really into the Beatles and knew how to write good songs, but all these asshats tried signing bands like Dishwalla and Live in the 90s and killed it.

The "good" rock bands were actually creative:

Take care of those titties for me.

The Rock Music Thread

Quote: (03-27-2014 10:43 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

I think Queens of the Stone Age are the coolest band on Earth

I'm actually really happy they got rid of Nick Oliveri. There were always four talented, smartly-dressed rock musicians and a trashy loser in sandals who'd do a hash job at the bass live

Here's a slow version of 'Go With the Flow' at their Reading 2008 slot. Cool as fuck:

(We'll get onto the headliners that day in a bit)

Hell yes Leighton! I totally agree with you.
And that version from Reading 08 with the slow Go With the Flow version which leads into Misfit Love is pure magic.
I can't recall how many times I've been watching that.
Goosebumps guaranteed.

The Rock Music Thread

Little bit sad that Joey Castillo had to. He was cool as fuck, but Jon Theodore is doing a excellent job. he's like an octopus behind the kit. I wonder what that dispute was all about. It can't be very serious since Joey was touring together with Eagles of Death Metal recently in Aus/NZ.

The Rock Music Thread

Misfit Love is my favourite Queens song actually

I remember the intro creeping in at Bournemouth

Misfit Love is organised chaos at its boody finest (I have to link it now!)

Yeah, Castillo was like a huge bull that sat at the back and hammered the kit. I loved him. But Theodore's a great replacement.

The Rock Music Thread

that live Go With The Flow is pretty good. Since this is a Queens thread I should add this, its Troy Van Leeuins new signature guitar, pretty bad ass

[Image: DV016_Jpg_Large_1389798924782_A.jpg]

The Rock Music Thread

You are fucking frightening me Leighton. A few days ago somebody asked to pick the best song ever. Usually it's impossible to answer this question, but I said if I really need to pick one I'll pick Misfit Love with Queens. But I prefer the version from the Henry Rollins show.

The Rock Music Thread

I don't follow a lot of the new rock these days, I don't like a lot of what I hear.

Does anyone have suggestions for new artists similar to:

Rage Against the Machine
Smashing Pumpkins
Nirvana
Bush

etc.

You can tell I'm on that 90's tip

The Rock Music Thread

Quote: (03-27-2014 11:09 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

that live Go With The Flow is pretty good. Since this is a Queens thread I should add this, its Troy Van Leeuins new signature guitar, pretty bad ass

[Image: DV016_Jpg_Large_1389798924782_A.jpg]

Have any of you guys actually played a Fender and gotten past that twangy/cowboy tone? I can't do it.