rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Meditation Retreats

Meditation Retreats

My brother is doing a meditation retreat near Cuzco, Peru and I'm looking to do something similar in Thailand, preferably with some monks and not at an expensive tourist resort.

Has anybody done something like this?

Meditation Retreats

Not sure about Thailand, but India is pretty popular for meditation retreats. In the winter season Goa is usually the place. In the summer, up in the Himalayas around Dharmsala where the Dalai Lama hangs out. Then there is the Osho Ashram in Pune which is a whole different story.

Meditation Retreats

My good friend has just returned from a retreat in Thailand. He blogged about it: http://traintohonesty.blogspot.com/2010/...emple.html

He includes the name of the temple.

Meditation Retreats

Excellent, thanks!

Meditation Retreats

As cliche as it sounds, try a voyage to Tibet once. The trek to Lake Manasarovar, the highest freshwater lake in the world, is rewarding both physically and spiritually, or so I've been told by my brother's friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manasarovar

Meditation Retreats

just bumping this old thread as i am also interested in doing a meditation retreat

@ gringoed: I wasn't aware Peru offered these kinds of retreats - any update on your bro's experience there? did he use his time there to chase local poon as well or was he just meditating? this is a serious question btw

cheers!

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Meditation Retreats

I did a Buddhist retreat in Sri Lanka. Google Vipassana meditation and you can find sites. It's a brand of Buddhist meditation common in Thailand, Sri Lanka and I believe Burma.

It was REALLY hard staying at this retreat for four days, but it was really worth it. We woke up each day at 5 am to start meditation and then off and on had group meditation until around 9 pm. There was no electricity or hot water at the center. It was up in the mountains away from everything. They served pretty good food, but it was all veg. We were not suppose to talk to anyone at all except for a 30 minute tea break during the afternoon.

The good thing is that it was basically free though they asked for a donation of about $8 per day (which includes food and everything so it's an amazing way to save money when you're traveling long term)

After attending I've felt a lot better. When I first left the retreat I was sorta like WTF, I don't think this really helped, but now I realize that it really did alter my internal thought process. Highly recommend it.

Meditation Retreats

Johnny Wolf on his retreats:

http://thesocialsecrets.com/2009/05/10-d...editation/

http://thesocialsecrets.com/2009/06/seve...f-silence/

Meditation Retreats

bump. does anyone have more info?

Meditation Retreats

I did a 10 day retreat with Goenka. This organization offers retreats in the US and all over the world including Thailand.

http://www.dhamma.org/

Rico... Sauve....

Meditation Retreats

Best meditation retreat in Thailand:

http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/

10 days, the cost is less than $70 .

Meditation Retreats

If you want peace without the religion, go to Lapland. It seriously is the only place in the world where I heard what silence sounded like.

Rent out a cabin for yourself in the winter (or now, it's still winter), stay the week, take a walk in the wilderness with your snowshoes where no person has ever been before, get lost in the endless Lapland forest, and I guarantee you that it will be life changing. Sauna and ice swimming are good for the soul also.

Also, you can easily see the Northern Lights. That's something too.

Meditation Retreats

Can anyone recommend a good Vipassana 10 day retreat in Thailand under the teachings of S.N. Goenka?

Meditation Retreats

TL;DR

Attended a 10-day Vipassana Meditation retreat. Very challenging, great benefits, but also some skepticism. Onward.

This is going to be a long post, however I believe that it will give valuable information to fellow forum members who are thinking about trying something like this. If it's a potential interest take the time to read it in it's entirety.

If you do some research on meditation you'll come across a man named S.N. Goenka. There are centers located across the world where you can attend a 10-day retreat and learn vipassana meditation. The courses are taught mainly using audio and video tapes from Goenka (who passed away in 2013), along with assistant instructors.

The past few months I've been getting deeper into my meditation practice and I had a few goals going into the retreat:

1) Develop a monastic focus and concentration to help accomplish life goals.
2) Overcome some mental/emotional pain that I feel has been holding me back.
3) Gain insight into the true nature of reality without resorting to any sort of drug.

A few days into the course I added two more goals.

4) Make it through the 10-days.
5) Don't cop out and use a chair, back rest, or anything else to ease the physical pain.

To begin I'll outline how the course is set up. You need be physically and mentally prepared or else you're in for a painful experience.

The courses are taught at retreat houses. You arrive and are shown your room, I shared mine with a roommate. Men and women are completely separated and your wallet, keys, and cell phone are locked up until the course is over. You have no access to the internet, TV, or any reading material.

Around 8:00 pm of the first day you begin 'Noble Silence' which means you do not speak with any of the other students.

In addition to a vow of silence you take 5 precepts.

1) No killing any being.
2) No stealing.
3) No lying.
4) No sexual misconduct.
5) No use of any type of intoxicant.

The best way to describe the environment is that for 10 days you're a monk. I mean that in the literal sense.

The daily schedule begins at 4:00 AM with a wake up bell and looks like this:

4:00 am - Wake up bell.
4:30-6:30 am - Meditate in the hall or your residential quarters.
6:30-8:00 am - Breakfast and rest.
8:00-9:00 am - Group sitting.
9:15-11:00 am - Meditate in the hall or your residential quarters.
11:00 am-12:00 pm - Lunch and rest.
12:00 pm-1 pm - Discussion with teacher if you choose.
1:00 pm-2:30 pm - Meditate in the hall or your residential quarters.
2:30-3:30 pm - Group sitting
3:30-5:00 pm - Meditate in the hall or your residential quarters.
5:00-6:00 pm - Tea break
6:00-7:00 pm - Group sitting
7:00-8:15 pm - Goenka discourse by video.
8:15-9:00 pm - Group sitting
9:00-9:30 pm - Question time in the hall
9:30 pm - Retire.

Rinse and repeat. A few days have slightly different schedules, but that's it for the most part.

As you can see, when they mean 'serious' they aren't messing around.

The first sign of apprehension appeared as I signed in and saw several of the other students. I was the odd one out by a long shot.

As I surveyed the room, it was leftist central. I felt that if I yelled 'I voted for Donald Trump' loving kindness or not they would descend like a pack of wolves. I got strange looks from a few people that seemed to say. 'Why are you here?'

I think it was the initial apprehension of the experience that was distorting my perception a bit, because on the final day the same people seemed fine to chat with. Maybe the retreat made me more tolerant, and taking a step back from the news cycle and political landscape made a big difference.

Anyway, the first three days you learn a technique called anapana. This is focusing on natural respiration, by breathing through your nostrils. Your goal is to have full awareness and concentration on the breath. Sounds simple but you will soon realize that simple does not mean easy.

I didn't have an issue with this because I've been practicing this type of meditation for a while. What I did have an issue with was sitting in the posture for longer than I was used to, multiple times a day.

On the 4th day you begin 'sits with great determination.' That means you pick a posture and you stay in it for the full hour. Have an itch? You can't scratch it. Having insane back pain? Too bad. One of your testicles is bunched up in your underwear and in massive pain? Oh well.

They mention that these aren't supposed to be torture sessions, but to build up your discipline.

Because of these new 'rules' (They aren't really enforced) by the 5th day several guys had dropped out, and all but 4 of us (I counted) had moved to meditating in chairs.

On the 4th day vipassana is taught. It's taught in progressive stages from days 4 to 9, and on the 10th day you learn a different meditation.

Vipassana is a technique of being highly focused on body sensations and scanning the body for them. So you scan the body from head to feet and vice versa focusing on your sensations. Imagine your mind being like a slow body scanner (minus the visualization/verbalization, as we were told that would distort the perception) as you scan your body.

So how does that help you?

They theory is that every emotional state whether pleasant or unpleasant is deeply connected to our physiology.

Imagine for example you begin to get extremely angry. When the initial feeling hits, a change in your respiration occurs. Maybe you start breathing a bit harder, maybe there are more breaths. Then you get a sensation somewhere in your body...maybe it's a burning feeling in your chest.
The problem is most people are not aware of what is going on, so the emotional state quickly overpowers them and they suffer greatly for it.

As the days went on, I began to feel subtler and subtler sensations all over my body. Sensations are always there, yet our minds have become so scattered that we fail to notice them.

The goal of the meditation is to keep your mind completely balanced whether the sensations are pleasant or unpleasant. You may be feeling blissful tingling all over, however you don't get overpowered and start craving it.

In contrast you may be feeling unbearable lower back pain, yet you don't develop an attitude of aversion to it. Between expression and suppression there lies another option...just observe. So you just observe the sensations without reacting.

What's happening is that you're training the mind to remain balanced in ALL situations. I was thinking of the mediation as a microcosm of life, where we have so many things swaying us emotionally one way or another.

So what were my results after the ten days? I have to say that so far the technique has worked for me. I went in skeptically, but I decided that I would work very hard when I was there, and I seem to have gotten solid results.

Benefits:

1) My first goal of developing great focus was attained. My concentration and focus are insane right now. The long drive home was the most focused drive I've ever had, I felt aware of everything and everyone on the road.

In addition, my memory and clarity have increased. I actually tested myself with some IQ test like puzzles before and after. I'd say this result is because of increased concentration/willpower and emotional balance.

2) I have a deeper understanding of some of the reasons for some past issues. I can't claim that they have gone away entirely, but I am facing them more calmly. See the next point.

3) Related to memory, I was remembering things from when I was a toddler. Events that I thought I'd forgotten. Some were minor, and others were major events that shaped personality characteristics I still carry today.

For some reason my mind wanted to replay nearly every event were I mistreated someone. I even had dreams related to this topic. This can be troubling for some people, but I just observed what was happening remaining calm. I didn't feel as if I was replaying some past trauma, I was just observing. I'm not sure if this was part of the meditation, or was even supposed to happen.

4) I feel much more emotionally calm. On the drive home, as usual in this part of the country there are reckless drivers. I still tend to have a slight case of road rage at times, however this drive was different. I remained much more relaxed.

5) My sense of time has been distorted. Time seems to go by much much more slowly. I keep looking at the clock and thinking how little time has gone by when it felt like an hour. Moments are more full if that makes any sense.

6) I gained more discipline from living in a monastic setting. There's that psychological boost of doing something out of character and hard.

7) I can read people's emotional states much more clearly. I've always been a good reader of people, and have even studied body language books. This seems to have taken things to another level.

8) Goenka is funny dude.

Drawbacks:

1) The course is advertised as 'non-sectarian, and non-religious' however it's clearly Buddhist. I was annoyed the first day, when they wanted us to repeat aloud saying 'I take refuge in Buddha.' I just didn't say anything aloud.

It's explained in a later video that he means you're taking refuge in the qualities of a person, not the person itself. Goenka even gives the example that if you're a devotee of Jesus Christ, to adopt the qualities of Jesus Christ. If you're not doing that you are just fooling around and not a true devotee. I believe this should have been explained earlier because I can see how someone like myself who is not Buddhist would have an issue with saying that I'm taking refuge in someone or something I don't believe in.

2) The chanting is weird. The group sits begin and end with Goenka chanting strange words in a language I don't understand. He makes guttural sounds that are just downright strange.

3) There's unneeded mysticism, esoteric explanations, and pseudoscience. Goenka totally lost me in one talk when he started talking about past and future lives and how the mind springs up in another location depending on karma. It's clear that the prevailing culture and religion at the time (Hinduism) had a large effect on Buddhism.

Goenka also goes on to state that the eventual goal is to 'attain total body and ego dissolution.' This sort of talk is too new-agey for me.

I actually questioned the teacher in private and called BS on some material, and I found something else: It's nearly impossible to argue with a trained Buddhist. All my points were met with logic and smiling which I have to admit was very disarming.

He did nothing to try to convince me, he just deflected my energy by saying things like: 'You don't have to take anything on faith.' and 'Your truth is your truth, not the Buddha's truth or my truth.'

It was interesting to see myself actually calming down, when a few minutes before I was planning to go in there to 'totally call bullshit.'

4) I lost 7 pounds. I guess that's what only eating two small vegetarian meals a day and not lifting does to you.

5) The type of guys who tend to take these courses would probably not like an RVF forum member archetype, so it doesn't seem like a great place to make friends.

So that's pretty much it. If anyone has any detailed questions respond to this post, or send me a PM.

Meditation Retreats

Quote: (11-05-2017 03:23 PM)Neo Wrote:  

TL;DR

Attended a 10-day Vipassana Meditation retreat. Very challenging, great benefits, but also some skepticism. Onward.

What was the cost of the retreat? What were the travel costs to get there?

Meditation Retreats

Quote: (11-05-2017 03:29 PM)edlefou Wrote:  

What was the cost of the retreat? What were the travel costs to get there?

Absolutely zero if you choose. The courses are run on a donation only basis. It's free housing and meals, and they would not answer my question about how much it cost them to house and feed me there for ten days. They said to donate if you feel you benefited from the course, but it was not necessary. I left a modest amount because I feel that I got something out of the course.

In terms of travel costs, there is a center relatively close to where I live so it was just gas money.

Meditation Retreats

Thanks for writing that up Neo, and it would have taken some willpower and resolve to go through with that.

Not my cup of tea, I prefer more active ordeals in mother nature on my own to self develop.

Meditation Retreats

I highly recommend any man to do at a 5 day silent retreat once in his life. I'm not religious and don't like those who attempt to push religion as true spiritual practice is freedom from religious dogma.

Adyashanti is my favorite teacher to go in retreats with. All around the US and also locations in Europe plus AUS I believe. People come from around the world to take part. It's less proscriptive than Vipassana but the container of silence is crucial.

I also do very intense physical activities - there is no either/or but this/and. Avoiding silence and stillness is a sign the mind remains in control and is fooling you into believing otherwise.

Meditation Retreats

Thanks for the excellent datasheet Neo, very informative and helpful.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Meditation Retreats

I'm scheduled to go to my first 10 day Vipassana course next month. Will report back here on my experience.

Meditation Retreats

Neo, given that some time has now passed, do you feel the benefits of the mediation/retreat were lasting or just temporary?

Meditation Retreats

If one is trying to get the best damn mind training possible and quickly (meaning most likely a retreat or program) where should they go/look? In desperate need and would appreciate the help for recommendations...not looking necessarily for anything spiritual (would.be more of a nice side effect if anything) just more the tools for controlling the mind.

Meditation Retreats

I recommend everyone to do thorough research regarding the tradition and the rules which you will be practicing in.
It is also advised to get used to the sitting positions, if you've only spend 20 minutes a day in the cushion, suddenly spending 10 hours a day in a half lotus can be arduous to say the least.

The most common retreats in Europe / America seem to be the vipasanna 10 day retreats, which are free.

Honestly for mahasi noting it seems Burma is the best place for serious practice, for 1-3 months. Very cheap also.

You can find a wealth of information on the website: Dharmaoverground (not sure if its allowed to post other forums), this is a forum dedicated to serious spiritual practice. There's a lot of weirdos there but the information is generally solid. A lot of people there go on 1-3 month retreats regularly.

Meditation Retreats

I read that, If you become a monk in Thailand and live in a monastery, you get Thai citizenship for the duration of your monkhood so you don’t have to worry about overstaying your visa (double check that to be sure)

Virtually every Thai male becomes a monk and lives in a monastery at some point as a right of passage into manhood and there are a lot of foreign monks in Thailand these days so it should not be hard to do it without spending a lot of money on a tour package or something.

Meditation Retreats

Quote: (12-15-2018 02:38 AM)Australia Sucks Wrote:  

Neo, given that some time has now passed, do you feel the benefits of the mediation/retreat were lasting or just temporary?

This, and whats the best meditation retreats in India?