rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Study in Europe or the US for college?

Hi guys,

I've lurked on this forum for quite some time now, and have never really been one to have the desire to travel up until this point in my life (19 years old). I am currently attending a local community college in my area and plan on majoring in Chemical engineering while knocking out pre-med reqs (they overlap with the degree) if I decide to take another path.

I currently live in the United States; my parents moved here from Britain - I am receiving my own British passport in a few weeks (I have American as well) and will have the opportunity to transfer to a college in the EU for my major, as opposed to staying here in the US.

I have found several colleges that I would be able to attend for little to no tuition because of my newfound citizenship, namely in Denmark, Finland, Italy, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, and Switzerland. Deciding where most likely will not be much of an issue for me, yet I still cannot decide whether this is something I should do. Leaving friends behind and girlfriend I occasionally have oneitis for gives me second thoughts.

A little bit about myself:
-White
-Diagnosed with yellow fever (a friend pointed out that most girls I checkout are Asian)
-Self studying Japanese (would like to visit/live there at some point)
-Visiting a friend in Thailand in 2 months

Thoughts on studying abroad?

"Denmark, Finland, Italy, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, and Switzerland."

In what language are these offered? May be a mute point if not English.

Quote: (03-16-2014 03:57 PM)ashraf Wrote:  

"Denmark, Finland, Italy, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, and Switzerland."

In what language are these offered? May be a mute point if not English.

They are all offered in English

I am not sure how your field progresses as far as career path goes or recruiting out of school.

But if they are truly free, then you have a leg up on US schools unless you think you will get a scholarship. And if you think you will be able to join a large multi-national then you can transfer around and maybe back to the US after working in Europe for a few years.

I'd focus on the strength of the school/reputation in your preferred area of study. That will open doors for recruiting. At some point, your schooling won't matter as much. But for the first job it does.

Plus, you get to have a unique experience most people don't get to have - ever.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

No, the value of studying in the US is the alumni network to get a job.

By going to any Euro school (other thank UK like Oxford) you are NOT going to have the alumni network to tap into to get a job back in the US.

US Companies do not recruit from Eurozone schools, and Eurozone schools do not have alumni in US companies.

Go to Europe, if you're getting free education that's great straight off, because university education isnt free in the UK btw either, it leaves people with on average £25,000 debt now.

Though for fun and fucking, nothing beats a US college going by your parties in movies [Image: biggrin.gif]

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

As Bojangles has pointed out, going to Europe will save you the expensive US college fees. Also if you've got "Yellow fever" I would suggest the Netherlands, that place is packed with Asian students from what I know. Personally, after living in the same city (with my parents) for 19 years, studying a year abroad has been a massive change, truly an eye-opening experience.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

How are you getting free tuition? University students in the UK pay £27k for a three year degree, and that doesn't include the extra ~£12k student loan debt. If there's a way to get very cheap / free tuition in Europe I would gladly take it.

Uni in the UK is 3 years, not 4, so if the UK is charging an arm and a leg now (as others seem to indicate), and you know what you'd like to do, the UK may be a better choice.

Personally, I would rather go to school in Europe, if costs aren't so much an issue. The U.S. is in irreversible decline. European women are hotter and life in European universities can be pretty good. You'll probably need a car at an American university to have an active social life - but it depends on where you study.

My two cents.

OP you also need to think about where you want to go in the field. There's no reason to do pre-med reqs unless you want to do a doctor. Do you want to be a doctor or be an engineer? Pick one and go balls to the wall.

Stay in the US, better student network, packed with asians (Cali area), or go to Canadian big cities, which are basically a part of Asia nowadays (Specially Vancouver).

Quote: (03-16-2014 04:12 PM)monster Wrote:  

No, the value of studying in the US is the alumni network to get a job.

He's right on the money here. It's not about what you know. It's all about who you know.

Of course, it also depends on where you want to be after you get out of college. The USA is the Titanic looking for its iceberg. But Europe is even more screwed than we are.

Anybody who can get dual citizenship should get it. I recommend going to New Zealand when it's all said and done.

And if you are going into medicine (it sounds like it), you certainly don't want to stay in the USA with its totally screwed up health care.

Quote: (03-16-2014 08:27 PM)Marmite Wrote:  

How are you getting free tuition? University students in the UK pay £27k for a three year degree, and that doesn't include the extra ~£12k student loan debt. If there's a way to get very cheap / free tuition in Europe I would gladly take it.

Because of scholarships I've received (I apply to a lot) and cheaper tuition in the EU, my costs are cut down to none/significantly less depending on the school.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'm still not exactly sure which field I'll end up going into, which is why the overlapping major requirements is very convenient. As of now, I'm leaning more towards oil with regards to ChemE and dermatology regarding medicine. I currently work in an ER at a local hospital and the hours look terrible for the other medical fields.

I'd have to say overall, I'm leaning more towards Europe; I have a hard time seeing myself living here in the future. A bit tired of masculine women.

I think Europe is a better option. A) US colleges are ridiculously overpriced, and B) you get an experience that few in the States will know. Sure, some kids pay to study abroad for a semester or two, but you'll actually be integrated into the culture.

I'm pushing my 17 year old brother to go to college in Europe. For the vast majority of people, it's simply not worth the hassle in the US. You're better off becoming a welder or diesel technician, maybe a radiology technician. So if you really want to go to college, go to Europe. Unless you're going to a brand-name school in the US; that's the only time 'networking' means anything.

Quote: (03-17-2014 06:33 PM)Spoony Wrote:  

Because of scholarships I've received (I apply to a lot) and cheaper tuition in the EU, my costs are cut down to none/significantly less depending on the school.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'm still not exactly sure which field I'll end up going into, which is why the overlapping major requirements is very convenient. As of now, I'm leaning more towards oil with regards to ChemE and dermatology regarding medicine. I currently work in an ER at a local hospital and the hours look terrible for the other medical fields.

I'd have to say overall, I'm leaning more towards Europe; I have a hard time seeing myself living here in the future. A bit tired of masculine women.
Then you have to head to the less americanized/capitalistic countries.. If your concern is traditionaly femenine women.. I'd rather go to asia, even more considering you have a thing for asian women..

University can be anything from 3-4 years for a course not including Masters or a PhD, regardless if you are leaning towards dermatology, I would probably go to Europe. Specifically I'd pick France for the companies specializing in skincare but in close second I'd go with Italy.

Better weather than the northern countries, more history if you're into that stuff (Love a bit of Roman history me), you'll pick up bits of Italian (compatible with French). If you decide to return home after you'll have the "I've been in Italy for the last X years"
During mid-term/spring break you could head to France,Spain, Portugal,Germany,Austria,Greece,Sicily,Turkey,Egypt, Morocco etc.
Better base to work from me thinks.

You decide though, it's YOUR life, not the forum's.

Quote: (03-17-2014 07:57 PM)CarCrashKid Wrote:  

University can be anything from 3-4 years for a course not including Masters or a PhD, regardless if you are leaning towards dermatology, I would probably go to Europe. Specifically I'd pick France for the companies specializing in skincare but in close second I'd go with Italy.

Better weather than the northern countries, more history if you're into that stuff (Love a bit of Roman history me), you'll pick up bits of Italian (compatible with French). If you decide to return home after you'll have the "I've been in Italy for the last X years"
During mid-term/spring break you could head to France,Spain, Portugal,Germany,Austria,Greece,Sicily,Turkey,Egypt, Morocco etc.
Better base to work from me thinks.

You decide though, it's YOUR life, not the forum's.

Those are some very good points. I had never considered working the skin-care angle in France or Italy. I'm surprised I hadn't even though of that - my mom is obsessed with that kind of stuff.

Quote: (03-17-2014 07:57 PM)loveblondes Wrote:  

Quote: (03-17-2014 06:33 PM)Spoony Wrote:  

Then you have to head to the less americanized/capitalistic countries.. If your concern is traditionaly femenine women.. I'd rather go to asia, even more considering you have a thing for asian women..

Do you mean study there as well? I haven't looked into English speakers attending Asian universities, so that would be worth checking out. I definitely plan on heading there post-graduation though.