rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Proper Business Etiquette

Understanding and demonstrating proper business etiquette will ensure that you have clients that are happy with your services, which ultimately means that you will continue to get paid.

One example of showing that one doesn't understand proper business etiquette, is someone who overpromises and underdelivers.

When you're hired to do work for someone, make sure you live up to whatever promises that you make to that person. If for some reason you can't do what you say you're going to do at a particular time, then it is imperative that you get out in front of that issue by communicating to them that the plans have changed and your resolution for that change so that their expectations can change accordingly.

You have to think about business from a long-term standpoint. You may get someone's money today, but do what you have to do, so that you have a shot at getting their money tomorrow.

I thought I would bring this up because it's something I'm coming across on a regular basis. Making money, on any real level, requires one to bring their A-game on a consistent basis, in fact doing so will give you wiggle room for the rare occasion that you can't/don't, but most people are fucking their money up from the beginning of the relationship.

Any other tips or observations that you guys have had regarding this particular topic, let's discuss them.

Excellent advice Jariel.

I would like to add a question for the older guys here.. how do you handle and make the most of introductions to more experienced people in your industry?

I have a couple mentors that keep mentioning they can introduce me to some people (probably via email), but I'm hesitant to act on it because I don't know how best to follow up at this point and I don't want to make a bad first impression.

Biggest thing for me has always been clear communication and showing respect.

I use phrases like "To be clear" or "To recap" so there are no misunderstandings.

Respect, I have discussed that a lot, but never think your better than anyone in a meeting, it will contribute to you getting caught off guard.

If you are the junior person and at meals, follow the lead of the senior folks. If they are not having dessert, you shouldn't either. They may be in a hurry to go but don't want to say anything. Don't be the guy ordering the most expensive stuff if your not paying for it.

Even if you are at a celebration work dinner/party - it is still work - stay in control. Don'e get fucked up -stories will follow you.

@Blunt - if you got a couple of mentors that are willing to make an introduction that is great. I guess I ask what you hope to achieve from the introduction. Maybe your mentor can assist you by teeing it up for you. "Hey so and so, Blunt is a great guy and really wants to learn about XYZ and I said you know a shit load about XYZ, maybe you could have lunch with him or have him call you to chat about XYZ."

If he is your mentor, he wants you to have a warm hand off - the guy he is introducing you to should know that you matter to him (your mentor). Then the guy is going to show you some respect because he respects your mentor. In turn, you cannot be, just messing here, a total jerkoff because then you embarrass your mentor.

Maybe your mentor arranges a lunch for the 3 of you. That is always nice.

But regardless, I do hope your mentor helps to lay a foundation for you. That would be in a perfect world.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: If you make a good impression on the other person, your mentor looks good, remember that. Not directed at you Blunt, but in general, we must all remember it isn't always about us.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Another thing, when it comes to things internally (i.e. not clients), if something gets messed up or is unlikely to happen when someone expects it to happen, do not wait until the last minute to tell someone. Even worse, do not let them find out (assuming it was your responsibility) on their own. Get ahead of mistakes by communicating what happened, why it happened, and what you're going to do about it. You may still get shit, but it won't be as bad as if you let it slide.

One thing which is common sense to an extent but very important is be very nice to office managers, secretaries, receptionists. Oftentimes a hiring manager even if just casually will say something like what did you think of that guy. If your nice and charming maybe you get her working for you saying you were very nice and polite or something like that. Same for if your doing a sales call on a client.

I doubt anyone would be a dick to them but go out of your way to be extra nice and it can really help out. Heck, alot of times they know the business and do more work than some of the managers anyway.

Another thing, you have to remember that all of your clients are important; don't let the dollar amount they are paying you define their importance.

You want to treat the $100 client the same way you treat the $100,000 client. Keep this in mind, because you never know, the $100 client has the potential to become a $100,000 client.

How you make people feel is always an integral part in any facet of game.

Good game is needed in life period, not just with women to get sex.