rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting a clothing or fashion line of business

Hello compadres. First post here. A lot of good informatin and advice in this forum!

I am in plans to start a fashion-clothing business but dont' have any experience in this area. Perhaps some of you have done this or know someone or know some information or online resources.

Basically, I have some unique t-shirt ideas and designs and I want to have them made and them sell them. These designs require specific sewing patterns and use of different textiles (not the typical white t-shirt).

So this means I would have to find and engage with a t-shirt maker or factory to see if they can do my design. Then I start with small quantities and increase as I sell them.

My questions at this piont are:

1. How to find a good t-shirt factory (I plan to do an online search and also go to the fashion or garment district in Los Angeles or New York) Or perhaps I have to go to China or Latin America to find good garment factories.
2. How to know the factory can do my designs
3. How to make sure the factory does not steal or copy my designs (do I patent?)
4. How to manage relationship with factory and factory manager or owner to be in good terms
5. How to approach stores to sell my clothes
6. What are some realistic numbers in this type of business: cost per shirt, minimum factory order, markup to store per shirt, average number of shirts per store order...and so on.

If not personal experience, perhaps someone knows some good books or resources on how to start and run this type of business? Perhaps I go to fashion school to learn this?

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1480538779

Quote: (03-12-2014 02:02 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1480538779

Thank you! Marc Ecko is a famous designer and successful too. May I ask how did you know about this book? Are you in the clothing or fashion business also?

I read the book because I am interested in success stories. I also wore his clothes in high school and appreciate his artistic mind.

I have a friend who makes t shirts. Start a website. Design some t's. Start an Instagram. Use hashtags and the follow trick to get interest.

I don't know where you live but there is a spot in Brooklyn you can give them your design and they will print t shirts for you at like $5 or $10 a t depending on the quality you want.

Quote: (03-12-2014 02:21 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

I read the book because I am interested in success stories. I also wore his clothes in high school and appreciate his artistic mind.

I have a friend who makes t shirts. Start a website. Design some t's. Start an Instagram. Use hashtags and the follow trick to get interest.

I don't know where you live but there is a spot in Brooklyn you can give them your design and they will print t shirts for you at like $5 or $10 a t depending on the quality you want.

Does the book answer in detail my questions above? Or is it more general business terms? Financing, marketing, competition, etc?

The website and social media is good for sometime in the future but for now I don't want to show my designs in public until I'm assured the shirts are ready for sale. I don't want someone quicker to copy and make the shirts faster and sell my designs on the market sooner than me.

Thank you for the recommendation on the tshirt printer however my shirts designs need to be cut to a pattern and they're not really on silk screening. I also plan to use other fabric material other than typical white cottom t-shirt material, and alos I am in California near Los Angeles.

Tshirts are a very saturated business

valhalla

Props to you for getting out and doing something but realize this is not only probably going to be a lot of startup money but this industry like some other have commented is really saturated.

It sounds like your shirts are going to be a lot cooler than the average screenprinted shirt which is great it sets you apart but also requires more costs as well. Because of the ease of design programs and even screenprinting these days plus sites like cafe press anybody can really become a designer now days so lots of competition.

One other thing I'd bring to your attention to keep in mind. I feel like shirts with embroider on the chest annoy me, it rubs on your chest all day. I love the idea of a tshirt with different fabrics or textures or whatever but will having sewing and seams all over the shirt be annoying to wear without an undershirt under your tshirt?

I had a buddy with a similar idea. He went to a local seamstress first and had a few designs made up. I would recommend oding that. You can see how comfortable it is to wear and maybe wear it around see if you get compliments on it, basically a quick, easy and lw cost way to do some market research before investing more money

Any of you know about shoe making in China? Been trying to find manufacturers that make shoes for Italian shoe companies.

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (03-12-2014 11:00 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

Props to you for getting out and doing something but realize this is not only probably going to be a lot of startup money but this industry like some other have commented is really saturated.

It sounds like your shirts are going to be a lot cooler than the average screenprinted shirt which is great it sets you apart but also requires more costs as well. Because of the ease of design programs and even screenprinting these days plus sites like cafe press anybody can really become a designer now days so lots of competition.

One other thing I'd bring to your attention to keep in mind. I feel like shirts with embroider on the chest annoy me, it rubs on your chest all day. I love the idea of a tshirt with different fabrics or textures or whatever but will having sewing and seams all over the shirt be annoying to wear without an undershirt under your tshirt?

I had a buddy with a similar idea. He went to a local seamstress first and had a few designs made up. I would recommend oding that. You can see how comfortable it is to wear and maybe wear it around see if you get compliments on it, basically a quick, easy and lw cost way to do some market research before investing more money

It is true that the tshirt market is saturated, but there is still opportunity. An example is Cristain Audiger coming along and carving out a slice of the market for himself. True that alot of people dont like Ed hardy shirts but props to him for having success with it.

As for embroider, my shirts will not have that. Good recommendation on makeing a sample and wearing it around. I already have a local seamstress make me a sample shirt. It's good confirmatino that my design pattern works. Just need to make samples of my other designs.

Quote: (03-12-2014 11:03 AM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Any of you know about shoe making in China? Been trying to find manufacturers that make shoes for Italian shoe companies.

Thanks.

Perhaps check out Brazil too. I hear they have a good shoe industry.

Thanks.

Not in China, but I have a guy who is an agent for factories in Italy. He supplies to high end stores in Canada. The shoes retail in the $200 to $400 price range. Some very nice shoes. You can order them with your own branding and logo on the insert.

Quote: (03-12-2014 03:36 AM)Papo Wrote:  

Does the book answer in detail my questions above? Or is it more general business terms? Financing, marketing, competition, etc?

The website and social media is good for sometime in the future but for now I don't want to show my designs in public until I'm assured the shirts are ready for sale. I don't want someone quicker to copy and make the shirts faster and sell my designs on the market sooner than me.

Thank you for the recommendation on the tshirt printer however my shirts designs need to be cut to a pattern and they're not really on silk screening. I also plan to use other fabric material other than typical white cottom t-shirt material, and alos I am in California near Los Angeles.

If you are working with smaller order quantities, Thailand might be a viable option. If you go to the garment district in Bangkok, you will find more t shirt manufacturers than you know what to do with. Hundreds of them, in one building.

Quote: (03-12-2014 09:07 AM)Valhalla Wrote:  

This, such small barriers to entry everyone gets in it.

You mention you have unique t-shirt ideas. Do a mockup in photoshop. Then what most people do is buy bulk t's then go to a screen printer with their artwork. More often than not the screen printer already has access to good bulk tshirt suppliers like American Apparrel, Royal, etc (google for more). There are a ton of screen printers either local or national depending on special printing techniques you may require or minimums req.

Then get a website and pound the pavement getting display booths at every local show you can think of that targets your demographic.

Before you spend ungodly amounts of money and time, check out teespring.com.
You handle the design and marketing, they handle everything else. EVERYTHING ELSE.

I know from personal experience that anything in this space, largely revolves around marketing. It's not something you can outsource, it's the lifeblood of the business, you learning how to acquire customers.

I've failed at least three times launching in this space, with countless trips to local factories, phone calls from manufacturers, and local seamstresses making prototypes and being ripped off.

After you've proved your concept, that's when you take your profit and try to improve on this model.

The end goal might be getting a booth at MAGIC in Vegas, and selling to Target or Macy's.

WIA

Quote: (03-12-2014 01:52 PM)ManAbout Wrote:  

If you are working with smaller order quantities, Thailand might be a viable option. If you go to the garment district in Bangkok, you will find more t shirt manufacturers than you know what to do with. Hundreds of them, in one building.

If you are in Europe, try Portugal. A well known shoe designer friend of mine has off-shored much of his manufacturing to Portugal and is very happy with the results and pricing.

He dabbled a bit with Indonesia, and has remarked the quality is quite good especially for the price.

Im near Los Angeles and there's a garment district there too. I'll just drive out there and walk around. I'm also looking for seamstresses to make me prototypes for the rest of my designs.

Quote: (03-12-2014 03:43 PM)monster Wrote:  

You mention you have unique t-shirt ideas. Do a mockup in photoshop. Then what most people do is buy bulk t's then go to a screen printer with their artwork. More often than not the screen printer already has access to good bulk tshirt suppliers like American Apparrel, Royal, etc (google for more). There are a ton of screen printers either local or national depending on special printing techniques you may require or minimums req.

Then get a website and pound the pavement getting display booths at every local show you can think of that targets your demographic.

My designs do not invlove any screen printing at all. Also, I cannot use the bulk white cotton tshirts that are pre-made. My designs have patterns that have to be cut then sewn together.

I cant wait to pound the pavement once I have prototypes and a small order for samples or even to sell.

Quote: (03-12-2014 03:48 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Before you spend ungodly amounts of money and time, check out teespring.com.
You handle the design and marketing, they handle everything else. EVERYTHING ELSE.

I know from personal experience that anything in this space, largely revolves around marketing. It's not something you can outsource, it's the lifeblood of the business, you learning how to acquire customers.

I've failed at least three times launching in this space, with countless trips to local factories, phone calls from manufacturers, and local seamstresses making prototypes and being ripped off.

After you've proved your concept, that's when you take your profit and try to improve on this model.

The end goal might be getting a booth at MAGIC in Vegas, and selling to Target or Macy's.

WIA

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately I cannot use them. As mentioned, my designs do not invlove any screen printing at all. Also, I cannot use the bulk white cotton tshirts that are pre-made. My designs have patterns that have to be cut then sewn together.

Im looking for a factory where I can show them my design patterns, and see if they have the capability to cut them and sew them together properly. And if they can do this efficiently in bulk or assembly line. Do you know if tshirt factories can do this? Meaning to cut for different or specific patterns? Think like, athletic cut and not so much boxy fit.

I also need to source specific fabric material from fabrics and textile suppliers and manufactorers or makers.

Quote:Quote:

and being ripped off.

Can you explain the kind of rip-offs are in this industry? It would be great to hear your stories of you experiences in this industry or space.

I have heard of the Magic show in Vegas. Just googled it and looks like I just missed it last month ago. There is another one in August.

Thank you.

Quote: (03-12-2014 04:22 PM)Laner Wrote:  

If you are in Europe, try Portugal. A well known shoe designer friend of mine has off-shored much of his manufacturing to Portugal and is very happy with the results and pricing.

He dabbled a bit with Indonesia, and has remarked the quality is quite good especially for the price.

I am in California and travel to China, Bangkok and Indonesia is something that is second to finding a factory close by. I have seen and bought tshirts made all over the world, even from Indai, sri lanka, Philipines, and of course Mexico and Costa Rica too.

I am not against ordering and having a business relationship with factories from these countires but I know is more difficult so thats why I ask one of my questions was how to find a good one and develop a good business relationship.

Quality control is one of the important things that come to mind. And pricing of course.

The trade shows are possibly a good place to meet factory owners or reps from these other countries? Do they go to the Magic shows to look for business clients such as me?

Quote: (03-12-2014 02:01 AM)Papo Wrote:  

Hello compadres. First post here. A lot of good informatin and advice in this forum!

I am in plans to start a fashion-clothing business but dont' have any experience in this area. Perhaps some of you have done this or know someone or know some information or online resources.

Basically, I have some unique t-shirt ideas and designs and I want to have them made and them sell them. These designs require specific sewing patterns and use of different textiles (not the typical white t-shirt).

So this means I would have to find and engage with a t-shirt maker or factory to see if they can do my design. Then I start with small quantities and increase as I sell them.

1. How to find a good t-shirt factory (I plan to do an online search and also go to the fashion or garment district in Los Angeles or New York) Or perhaps I have to go to China or Latin America to find good garment factories.
3. How to make sure the factory does not steal or copy my designs (do I patent?)
4. How to manage relationship with factory and factory manager or owner to be in good terms
6. What are some realistic numbers in this type of business: cost per shirt, minimum factory order, markup to store per shirt, average number of shirts per store order...and so on.

If not personal experience, perhaps someone knows some good books or resources on how to start and run this type of business? Perhaps I go to fashion school to learn this?

Man congrats on starting your own venture! It is a saturated market but there is always room for improvement, especially if you have something new.

1. Do an online search first, alibaba.com and globalsources.com. Ask factories to send you price lists and other info. Once you like the best one, invest $1500-2000 and fly to China and visit their factory. THIS IS A MUST. if you want to get quality products and build relationship with the factory, you must visit them, meet them and dine with them(they will pay). Only then you can be sure they won't screw you(with quality control setup later,of course).
2. See what kind of information they send you, but better visit few factories. you can do 10 factories in one week. if nothing works out, you at least will have a great experience visiting China and maybe banging some ladies.
3. I don't think there is a way to avoid it. Eventually this will happen. Maybe not by your factory but someone else. The only advantage you could have is by implementing everything before others copy it so that they end up being well behind.
4. Visit them, learn some basic mandarin, read books on doing biz with China(plenty on Amazon). Learn about "guanxi".
5. Walk in the stores, talk to the manager, ask info and ask referrals. Once you talk to a lot of store owners/managers you will get a better idea.
6. No idea about numbers is T-shirt business. But guessing markup would be at least %300-400.

Normalcy Is The Rat Race, A Modern-Day Slavery.

Thanks.

I believe lots of Italian shoes are designed in Italy and made in China.

Check out Canton Fair, it is the largest exhibition of Chinese manufacturers. Takes place twice a year, in October-Nov and April-May. Consists of 3 different phases. You would need to check out phase 3 as it has all the textile/shoe stuff. It's in Guangzhou.

I attend every year and I remember meeting one factory that makes shoes for ALDO(Canada) for $16 a pair, while they are sold $80-100 here in canuckland.

Quote: (03-12-2014 05:33 PM)Abnormal Wrote:  

Thanks.

Check out Canton Fair, it is the largest exhibition of Chinese manufacturers. Takes place twice a year, in October-Nov and April-May. Consists of 3 different phases. You would need to check out phase 3 as it has all the textile/shoe stuff. It's in Guangzhou.

I attend every year and I remember meeting one factory that makes shoes for ALDO(Canada) for $16 a pair, while they are sold $80-100 here in canuckland.

Wow holy crap that is cheap. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Yes you are right Phase 3 - May 1 - May 5.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (03-12-2014 05:39 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2014 05:33 PM)Abnormal Wrote:  

Thanks.

Wow holy crap that is cheap. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Yes you are right Phase 3 - May 1 - May 5.

Few years ago I was studying mandarin in Beijing and I had an italian pair of classic shoes with me that I bought earlier in Milano. They were brown colour and I wanted exactly the same one in black. so I went to Sanliturrrrrr shopping area in Beijing and asked some chinese shoes store if they can make a copy of my brown shoes in black. they took it for 2 days and made me exactly the same copy. I still wear both of those pairs and quality of work was amazing. I paid $200 for it though, while I paid 150 Euro in Italy for the original ones(but two-three years prior).

Chinamen can make EVERYTHING!

Quote: (03-12-2014 04:41 PM)Papo Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2014 03:43 PM)monster Wrote:  

My designs do not invlove any screen printing at all. Also, I cannot use the bulk white cotton tshirts that are pre-made. My designs have patterns that have to be cut then sewn together.

I cant wait to pound the pavement once I have prototypes and a small order for samples or even to sell.

Bulk shirts are not "white hanes t-shirts"

Did you try googling the options available for screen printing? Burn outs from next level are dope as are the tshirts from everyone else for all fits and sizes.

Screen printing is not your typical "buy $50 worth of something and get a free tshirt" screen printing runs the range from jumbo printing to water ink etc, like http://extremescreenprints.com/ These are the professionals who do the garmet work for you so you concentrate on whats important: your unique selling proposition (your designs) and your marketing

Quote: (03-12-2014 05:30 PM)Abnormal Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2014 02:01 AM)Papo Wrote:  

Man congrats on starting your own venture! It is a saturated market but there is always room for improvement, especially if you have something new.

1. Do an online search first, alibaba.com and globalsources.com. Ask factories to send you price lists and other info. Once you like the best one, invest $1500-2000 and fly to China and visit their factory. THIS IS A MUST. if you want to get quality products and build relationship with the factory, you must visit them, meet them and dine with them(they will pay). Only then you can be sure they won't screw you(with quality control setup later,of course).
2. See what kind of information they send you, but better visit few factories. you can do 10 factories in one week. if nothing works out, you at least will have a great experience visiting China and maybe banging some ladies.
3. I don't think there is a way to avoid it. Eventually this will happen. Maybe not by your factory but someone else. The only advantage you could have is by implementing everything before others copy it so that they end up being well behind.
4. Visit them, learn some basic mandarin, read books on doing biz with China(plenty on Amazon). Learn about "guanxi".
5. Walk in the stores, talk to the manager, ask info and ask referrals. Once you talk to a lot of store owners/managers you will get a better idea.
6. No idea about numbers is T-shirt business. But guessing markup would be at least %300-400.

Thank you, I really think my designs are fresh and stylish. I have not seen my designs anyhwere. I hope people will like them.

And thank you for answering my questions specially since you have experience going to China. It is such a big place with so many cities to choose. I have a lot of work to do to research. I'll need to get a list going and then narrow that list down. And then the work of comunicating with them back and forth over months of time. I'll have to save for the trip, might as well check out as many cities and factories while I'm there. Hopefully these factories can send me samples first? This will help narrow down the list.

As for copying and stealing my designs, I know that its impossible to prevent. If the big name brands cannot prevent this..even if I have one year head start, next year they will come out with copycats. Oh well. Just have to make new designs to stay ahead.