rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do you lift? Of course you do. How do you stack up against these strength standards?

Do you lift? Of course you do. How do you stack up against these strength standards?

So I was checking out a few fitness blogs recently and came across a PDF document of weightlifting standards for men and women of various weights and fitness levels. I posted it on my blog, check it out:

http://www.kidstrangelove.com/2014/03/07...ndy-chart/

And I am happy to announce that I am firmly in the "Intermediate" category for my weight, so I'm pretty hype. Still a long way to go from being "Advanced", but at least it gives me some standards to measure up to and something to shoot for.

So what about you, fellow RVF-ers - how do you measure up? Do you even lift bro?

Does this just count 1-rep-max?

My numbers are good but I'm hesitant because I still don't feel all that strong yet. I'm "advanced" for everything except my bench press, and power cleans, I don't do, so I have no idea what that would be.

My squat has come down because I am focusing lately in my depth and form vs weight, plus I focus more on front squats also. My bench press is week because it is a awkward movement for me with my long arms, I prefer incline which kills to birds with one stone. I haven't done a flat bench near my max in 8 months though so maybe I will try it next week to see.

I've only just begun lifting seriously. From this chart it's clear I have a long way to go.

it's good to have goals [Image: smile.gif]

Yeah this stuff is for 1RM, and I'm excited to try and progress more and more.

I have yet to attempt a 1RM power clean so that gives me something to do in the next few weeks.

Astronut - I recommend the Wendler 5/3/1 program. Worked for me... so far [Image: smile.gif]

I have speant years doing various phisical activities on-off, messing around, not knowing what is best until I just recently found and digested the red pill of strength training, much due to the help of this forum which lead me to starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, leangains and similar.

After 3 months of regular barbell compund lifting I am a little past midway between novice and intermediate. My previous training was unfocused but put me in novice tier right from start. I expect to reach intermediate after another 3-4 months. Oh and I measure myself from my 5x weight, not interested to doing 1RM so maybe I am borderline intermediate.

I'm between intermediate and advanced for my bodyweight on the 4 major exercises (I don't power clean)

Cool.

Damn I'm not elite on any of those.

Nice blog post. Cool chart. Where's the pull up portion?

Shit, I'm only three weeks in and my max doable with 10 reps is 75 on bench.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Advanced in all categories, with no desire to go to elite. The discipline and eating/sleep habits to get elite would take all the fun out of life.

I wonder what standards were used to determine the chart.

I'm advanced on press, 9 lbs below advanced on bench. I don't squat or deadlift due to injuries (I front squat and partial deadlift instead). I was always a terrible squatter though, but a decent deadlifter.

I'm only about 150 at the moment though, so it's not like I'm putting up massive numbers.

If you don't have your 1RM but have other maxes, plug them into this calculator and you'll get a pretty accurate 1RM estimate
http://www.strstd.com/

Personally, advanced in every lift and near elite in a couple. 165lb former-powerlifter. Been strength training since 2008.

Couple of questions--

Anyone know the strength standards for chin-ups and/or one-armed push ups? I've been working on the latter for a few weeks now but I have no idea what is considered a good number of one-armed push ups.

Wow. After going to the gym and getting from very skinny to more "normal" slim guy, I am still basically in the "untrained"

I am very tall and lean, low bf, and always took the longer lever-arm excuse for my lack of raw strength.

But this is pretty brutal on me. Besides taking protein and doing 5X5 with compound lifts, any recommendations to get real results that I have clearly been missing?

I have had this chart on my fridge for four years now.

When I started lifting the girl I was with started at the same time. I am in the intermediate range for the most part, moving toward advanced in squats and novice in press. Her, on the other hand, moved into advanced quite quickly. The scale did not seem to be correlative for as a 200 pound man I have to lift like a beast to hit intermediate to advanced, while her at 110 pounds did not seem to have the same amount of trouble.

Good chart though. It gets a lot of interest at parties.

Surprised I am now actually between intermediate and advanced on all lifts except power clean. I remember looking at those charts a couple of years back and thinking how the fukk I'd ever get to advanced. Just goes to show how persistence pays off.

It's also funny how everyone on Bodybuilding.com basically says they have Advanced to Elite lifts.

I'm smack in the middle of Novice in basically all categories. Maybe I should cut back on the lunchtime full-court hoops and supplement it with weight training more frequently. Intermediate is a pretty good goal to set.

I'm advanced in all categories except power cleans. If you can power clean more than 275, go to the olympics, because those numbers are insane.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

Im in advanced for all of them apart from power clean (which I don't train). Hopefully I'll hit elite levels in a couple of years, and then I might start some competitive powerlifting.

Quote: (03-07-2014 06:27 PM)Remington Wrote:  

I'm advanced in all categories except power cleans. If you can power clean more than 275, go to the olympics, because those numbers are insane.

Not that I can do it myself (I'm in the novice section for all lifts) but doing a power clean with 275 lbs is not that much, definetly not olympic material. Olympic lifters often lift twice their body weight in the clean & jerk movement.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

I'm about 10-20lb close to Elite on all lifts except power clean which I don't train. 165lb powerlifter with 4 years lifting, half of those spent mostly injured (from an accident).

I'm not an elite powerlifter though, just a mediocre one with average strength talent.

Quote:Quote:

It's also funny how everyone on Bodybuilding.com basically says they have Advanced to Elite lifts.

Actually it makes sense if they have been training consistently for a few years. This Crossfit strength standard table has been around for a while and it is very conservative to say the least. If you have weak to average genetics, you are more than capable of hitting Crossfit Elite within 5 years of training. If you have natural strength talents and don't get injured, it'll take you 2 years.

Elite standards in powerlifting and weightlifting (depending on countries) are much higher than those.

I've been doing SS for about 7 months now though I did sort of a mini cut for about a month to break it up. I've gained 30lb overall. According to strstd.com I'm into intermediate on everything but bench which has been stuck lately. Don't know how much I believe those calculated 1RM numbers... At least, I'm definitely not going to attempt them in real life as I'd be afraid of gettting hurt.

Right now my goal is to get to 3x5 work sets of 225/315/405 for BP/SQ/DL so I'm trying to stay focused on achieving that.

As you go up the scale it takes longer and longer (and gets harder and harder) to increase your lifts #s.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I don't think this chart should be taken seriously. It doesn't take height into account. I would think that makes a big difference. For example a 6-4 guy at 200 pounds would probably lift different weight from a 5-6 guy at the same weight. I do think this is a good starting guide, though. Apparently my only lift that is up to standard is bench, but I do exclusively bodyweight now and my gains are coming faster than ever.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

I've had the same thought. There is a penalty for height, for sure.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I always thought my overhead press was a weak point, but according to this chart it's actually my strongest lift. I'm advanced on this but only intermediate on all others.

Also doesn't take into account how lean you are. A lean 181lb guy is gonna lift better than a fat 181lb...

And that, just like height, is just an excuse. I don't know any lifting competition where people rock up, get their height and BF% measured, then get given medals. They still have to lift.

If you think 6'4" 200lb put you at a strength disadvantage, get bigger. It's easier for you to do so at that height than say a 5'8" guy.

I train with a WR holder who's a head taller than most people in his weight class at the World Championship. He doesn't give a shit, still has his WR lift.

No excuses, strong is strong.

It suggests that less than 1% of weightlifters reach elite lifts. A lot more than 1% of weight lifters use "help." I thought the numbers were in general pretty high. The guys I see at my gym who have "advanced lifts" are in absolutely great shape. I think there might be 1 guy in my entire gym who reaches the elite category and even then I'd be surprised.

I'd fathom that the people at the elite level congregate in certain gyms. When I went to Lifestyles Fitness, I had probably the worst physique there. Every single guy was below 12% or huge. It really motivated me to improve my fitness over the last 6 months.

At my normal gym, I probably have in the top 20% or so of physiques. My lifts are all between intermediate to advanced..I don't deadlift though.