rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is darts a sport?

Is darts a sport?

I'm from Wales long history of pubs darts and beer here [Image: wink.gif] I was thinking recently about the subject of darts and whether its a sport or not.

To me its the wrong question when people say darts isn't a sport they are saying its not "athletic". But thats not what matters about sport or competition.

What matters is to what degree its competitive. Competition, as long as avoidant anxiety doesn't take over, breeds personal improvement it teaches you how to handle winning and losing, a major part of lifes ups and downs.

I remember playing marbles as a kid and fiercely protecting my marbles from other kids even the ones who had big "bompers". We'd play for hours and I'd like to think i took a lot off the other kids [Image: wink.gif]

To me the nature of that game of marbles, the competitive urges underlying it, far outweighs people who "enjoy" sports. They hit the ball back and for, run about, get their heart rate up etc etc. But theres no heart in it. Its just sharesys, nothing on it. Nobody really cares.

Ive watched a lot of tennis over the years, and its clear to me that for some of the journeyman pros the game has primarily become a "job". They turn up each week, play the percentages and then get a plane ticket. Rinse and repeat 11 months a year. Its impressive what they do, and of course, they are far more competitive than most people but for some of them if you stopped the paycheck they'd literally stop playing.

Id rather watch two amateur guys going at it hammer and tongs (in a sporting sense of course) like theres nothing else in the world than 2 cynical pro sportsmen who are in it purely for the money but the underlying competitive urges have been diluted by years of repetition.

Edit: Just to make clear its still a great achievement to be a pro in sport, I'm not knocking that but I love sport cos its about the underlying heart that makes you wanna get out there and win. I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing lots of pro's do get cynical/tired of sport at some point but turn up cos the moneys so good. I remember Jim Courier turning up to Wimbledon one year, and was reading philosophy books in between games. His heart wasn't in it anymore.

I'm gonna stick that Rocky theme tune on now, thats what its all about [Image: wink.gif] Flying high now!

Is darts a sport?

I don't see why it wouldn't be a sport. If chess can be a sport, why not darts? It requires power and accuracy that differentiates good players from the bad, there are specific rules for scoring...

That said, people shouldn't jump on that definition and demand it to be included in the Olympics over Taekwondo or something.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Is darts a sport?

I'd think its more of a sport than: ribbon dancing, NASCAR, or synchronized swimming

Chicago Tribe.

My podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr and Cobra.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

Is darts a sport?

Chess isn't a sport and neither is figure skating.

Darts is, because it is objectively scored and requires some physical motion to participate.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 12:04 PM)MVG Wrote:  

I'm from Wales long history of pubs darts and beer here [Image: wink.gif] I was thinking recently about the subject of darts and whether its a sport or not.

To me its the wrong question when people say darts isn't a sport they are saying its not "athletic". But thats not what matters about sport or competition.

What matters is to what degree its competitive. Competition, as long as avoidant anxiety doesn't take over, breeds personal improvement it teaches you how to handle winning and losing, a major part of lifes ups and downs.

I remember playing marbles as a kid and fiercely protecting my marbles from other kids even the ones who had big "bompers". We'd play for hours and I'd like to think i took a lot off the other kids [Image: wink.gif]

To me the nature of that game of marbles, the competitive urges underlying it, far outweighs people who "enjoy" sports. They hit the ball back and for, run about, get their heart rate up etc etc. But theres no heart in it. Its just sharesys, nothing on it. Nobody really cares.

Ive watched a lot of tennis over the years, and its clear to me that for some of the journeyman pros the game has primarily become a "job". They turn up each week, play the percentages and then get a plane ticket. Rinse and repeat 11 months a year. Its impressive what they do, and of course, they are far more competitive than most people but for some of them if you stopped the paycheck they'd literally stop playing.

Id rather watch two amateur guys going at it hammer and tongs (in a sporting sense of course) like theres nothing else in the world than 2 cynical pro sportsmen who are in it purely for the money but the underlying competitive urges have been diluted by years of repetition.

Edit: Just to make clear its still a great achievement to be a pro in sport, I'm not knocking that but I love sport cos its about the underlying heart that makes you wanna get out there and win. I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing lots of pro's do get cynical/tired of sport at some point but turn up cos the moneys so good. I remember Jim Courier turning up to Wimbledon one year, and was reading philosophy books in between games. His heart wasn't in it anymore.

I'm gonna stick that Rocky theme tune on now, thats what its all about [Image: wink.gif] Flying high now!

There's a lot of sports that are questioned whether they should be sports. I've heard people call out golf, now granted golf isn't running but its a high level of skill, need some strenght coordination, etc. I think same can be said of Darts.

like others have commented though, if chess can be a sport then really anything can. I think they were even trying to make spelling and/or scrabble a sport a few years back.

Heck, is curling a sport?

The true defintiion of a sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Now if we really stick to that defintion you would almost say only football, basketball, baseball, hockey, wrestling and sports that that are true sports, golf is a maybe, baseball is a yeah but barely at least ther is some running.

I guess it depends on what you personally classify as a sport.

Is darts a sport?

Darts is a sport, though I'd say it barely qualifies.

The modern definition of sports implies athleticism and challenge, and there is usually a game component as well. Individual sports tend to significantly de-emphasize the "game" aspect: for example alpine skiing, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, golf, or bodybuilding.

So in most cases, chess is not a sport. Chess is a game. Basketball is both a sport and a game. Alpine skiing is a sport, but not really a game. Even alympic downhill skiing only barely a "game" . The 200 meter sprint barely qualifies as a "game" but it's also certainly a sport.

Is darts a sport?

Is darts a sport?

If physical prowess at all determines the outcome, its a sport.

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 03:08 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Reminds me of my league days

Chicago Tribe.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 01:56 PM)Snowplow Wrote:  

I'd think its more of a sport than: ribbon dancing, NASCAR, or synchronized swimming

Not sure if you knew this, but to train, the nascar drivers have to run stadiums and be in extremely good physical condition. Those ribbon dancers look pretty damn flexible as well. not sure about the synchronized swimmers.

If you want to talk about curling then I am with you. Actually archery is another sport that seems to attract non athletes.

Is darts a sport?

Guys, it's the same issue as Pluto. If we call Darts a sport, I think we have to throw in Dance and Cheerleading also.

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 03:08 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Damn it! You beat me to it. As soon as I saw this thread title, I went and found that video and was going to post it in here. Comedy gold. I like how when one guy is taking a drink, the guy in the background is actually throwing darts. RIP Mel Smith.

Is darts a sport?

NASCAR needs you to be in great shape. Daytona 500 is 500 miles, reaching speeds near 200mph. It takes srs endurance.

Is darts a sport?

I can sit in a hot ass car holding my piss for a few hours, for the legal means of getting to drive that fast. I'd say the pit crew can call it a sport, not the driver.

Chicago Tribe.

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 08:54 PM)Snowplow Wrote:  

I can sit in a hot ass car holding my piss for a few hours, for the legal means of getting to drive that fast. I'd say the pit crew can call it a sport, not the driver.

Go do it then. There's a lot of pressure on the driver, too.

Is darts a sport?

Ok! Now, I just have to learn stick shift.....

Chicago Tribe.

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 09:00 PM)Snowplow Wrote:  

Ok! Now, I just have to learn stick shift.....

I can see it already

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 08:47 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

NASCAR needs you to be in great shape. Daytona 500 is 500 miles, reaching speeds near 200mph. It takes srs endurance.

one sport that doesn't get enough credit for the physical deamnds of it is dirtbike racing or i guess any of the extreme jumping on dirtbikes type stuff. Especially the racing, total pounding on your arms and legs the entire time.

I've recently started getting pretty interested in is MotoGp, that takes some strength and endurance but I think dirtbikes even more due to the courses they ride.

Is darts a sport?

Now how do I go about gettin' me one of those fancy racin' cars? And is el mech an actual mechanic?

Chicago Tribe.

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 09:54 PM)Snowplow Wrote:  

Now how do I go about gettin' me one of those fancy racin' cars? And is el mech an actual mechanic?

You can steal one of the kiddie rides at the mall, use that. And that's the question everyone's dying for an answer to.

Is darts a sport?

I put darts in the same category as bowling and curling. Competitive, yes. Sport, no. Golf gets the nod as a sport only if you walk the course. Carts are for pussies.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

Is darts a sport?

Quote: (03-03-2014 08:47 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

People saying NASCAR isn't a sport is just retarded. I'd like to see 10 guys in the "NASCAR isn't a sport" camp attempt to do what they do.

Is darts a sport?

Yes it is considered a "sport", however not like the traditional sports you normally think off.

Is darts a sport?

Darts can be a sport...but that can also be extended to beer pong. Types of beer pong are also played with paddles, and those actually require a very high level of hand-eye etc. So that can be a sport as well. It depends on the level of dedication. But it's not going to be on the same level as riding the Tour de France, unless you really see that type of dedication. If it's just about getting competitive, we used to take our pong pretty damn seriously...

So it's probably on the same level as ping pong, or target shooting. Both of those are in the olympics...

Also, figure skating requires a lop of physical skill and training. It's the winter gymnastics for me.

You don't get there till you get there

Is darts a sport?

well if nascar is a sport so is darts and starcraft and league of legends and all of the computer games..... why cause in nascar you need good reflex, skills at driving. same like in any computer game you need good reflex skill at using mouse and keyboard effectivly plus you need to think ahead and plan your next move so in many aspects starcraft is more demanding then nascar.

here is lil video of some pro doing his magic, notice how quickly he changes view of battlefield and control his units. most of the pros have APM (action per minute) well over 250 for entire duration of one game around 20 minutes.

you can skip to 14m25s to see how he does it.