rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Facebook to buy messaging app WhatsApp for $19bn

Facebook to buy messaging app WhatsApp for bn

Facebook has bought messaging app WhatsApp in a deal worth a total of $19bn (£11.4bn) in cash and shares.

It is the social networking giant's biggest acquisition to date.

WhatsApp has over 450 million monthly users and is popular with people looking to avoid text messaging charges.

In a statement announcing the deal, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg described WhatsApp's services as "incredibly valuable"

http://m.bbc.com/news/business-26266689

Dammit. I love whatsapp. Let me guess...Zuckerfuck is going to screw it all up. Link it to facebook profiles and whatnot.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

19 billion is a lot of money, even for Whatsapp. I thing the Zuck is trying to make Facebook a tech-services Conglomerate. He purchased Instagram and now Whatsapp. Its not just to make Facebook integrated.

On the dark side, we'll probably see ads. Bright side is no more fee.

Even if these scenarios are not the case, he's definitely planning something huge.

That's $42 per Whatsapp subscriber.

Thank god I never joined.

FuckThatt.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

WhatsApp rocks.

Metrics of acquisition:

$345M USD per employee
$42 USD per user

For Instagram they paid $30 USD per user

How does WhatsApp make money? Do they have ads or something? Or are they just another social media company that has a bunch of users and no revenue?

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Facebook's market cap is $173 billion and they have 1.11 billion users so a Facebook user is worth $156.

Teens are migrating away from Facebook so Facebook is just buying up the services they're migrating too.

I don't the buzz about What'sApp. With the new FB messenger, you are sending texts to your friends internationally, for FREE, for however long, not just the first year...Can someone explain to me why this is so popular? Seems to be big in non-US countries. I know it is HUGE amongst my cousins in India.

You don't get there till you get there

I do not know. Maybe because you did not have to deal with FB to send your messages? Frack, FB and Google are looking more and more like ciberpunk Corps each day.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

Ive said for a while... I think Facebook is one of those companies that too big to fail.
They'll buy out their competition. Those dudes aren't playing around. They want everything.
Imagine all the info they can suck up from having whatsapp subscribers.

I am the cock carousel

Quote: (02-19-2014 07:55 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

How does WhatsApp make money? Do they have ads or something? Or are they just another social media company that has a bunch of users and no revenue?

You pay to sign up.

shit!

Edit: You guys pay for whatsap?

Whatsapp is crucial for international travel game.

I think Facebook is somewhere around the "delusion" phase.

[Image: stages_bubble.png]

Fuck.
I love whatsapp.

On another note, I think Whatsapp is free for life for those ppl who signed up within the first year. My subscription gets auto-renewed every year.

How much are ye guys paying? Ive been using it for free all along.

Quote: (02-19-2014 10:36 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

How much are ye guys paying? Ive been using it for free all along.

Its a dollar a year I think.

Holy fuck 19 Billion Dollars

"The deal translates to roughly 9 per cent of Facebook's market value. In comparison, Google's biggest deal, Motorola Mobility, stood at $12.5 billion, while Microsoft's largest was Skype at $8.5 billion. Apple, meanwhile, has never done a deal above $1 billion."
[Image: 1392.gif]

dot com bubble 2.0..... when will we learn ?

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

Fuck, now Facebook is trying to cockblock me in Thailand? Guess I can switch to line.

TPTB at facebook should understand that they have no business being valued where they are. I haven't looked at how they're purchasing whatsapp but I'm assuming it's through stock and little to no cash. So it makes sense that they are taking advantage of their high value by buying anything tangible since the valuation is nothing but an illusion anyway. It's not really costing them $19 billion.

In their situation, it's far easier to just gobble up competitors than actually create something since 1) it's no guarantee that what they create catches on with the public and 2) they can just leverage the high stock price.

Once upon a time, AOL bought Time Warner. Think about that.

I think it must be free at first because I've been using for the past 6 months and never paid anything. Maybe the first year free?

First year is free yeah. Still don't get the big deal over this app.

You don't get there till you get there

this isn't saying either product will fail. in this day and age it's often easier to buy than create. buy existing infrastructure and fix it up/change it.

if you aren't using what's app. how do you talk to international chicks?
hopefully Facebook doesn't integrate what's app. I use the app so I don't have to give Facebook.
it's a great resource for texting

I am the cock carousel