rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Protecting your identity from stalkers

Some forums members have been stalked and harassed lately. For those who are concerned about being identified, I came up with a short list of things to do. Might look like a hassle but it will save you some troubles down the line.

While you might think that your identity is hidden from a single source of information, the aggregated information from all your activities on the Web can easily profile you if you’re not careful. While experienced hackers could probably get to you easily, you have to make it as hard as possible for the average Joe to find you.

You have to create a new identity from scratch. New email, new names, nicknames, social network accounts, etc. This identity should not come into contact with your other identity, ie, it needs to be impossible to link your FaceBook accounts, emails , names etc to your real identity.

1- New email

Your new email should not contain a phrase or expression found in your real identity(no nicknames, see below). When signing up, everything should be fake: name, age, birth date, location and city. Most email providers will ask you to give a valid area code. To go around this, go to google maps, pick a location, and take the area code of any restaurant or store.

2- New Social networks accounts

Your new Twitter, FaceBook and other social network accounts should not come in contact with your accounts from your real identity. That means no common friends and no messaging people you know in real life. They should not contain names, nicknames, phrases or even avatars that you normally use with your real accounts.

If you think avatars and quotes are harmless, they’re not. If the same quotes can be found on your 20 accounts, then you might have a problem. Same logic applies to a picture of a hot black girl spreading her ass. Might not look like you at all, but if you used the picture everywhere for the past 15 years you might have a problem too.

3- Nicknames

That sounds obvious, but don’t use nick names associated with your real identity. For instance, suppose you subscribe to a forum with your fake email but you use your favorite nickname, Joe24521. Your fake email could now be associated with that nickname and you have contaminated your identity.

Nick names are important, because they can be even more unique than real names. There might be a hundreds of thousands of John Smith in the world, but only a few Joe24521 in the entire planet. If you did some shady activity in your past under a unique nickname, someone could dig it 20 years later and hold it against you (true story).

4- Don't share personal information

Most members of this forum seem to know this rule well, but sometimes a little slip can be harmful. When you post on forums and write emails, be vague about your personal information. Stalkers like to analyse your every post and put together little pieces of information that, when amassed, can help identify you. Your ethnicity, age, whereabouts, and even favorite movies, music and artists can be used to profile you. So it's a good idea to just avoid talking about your personal life.

5- Websites

Nowadays, it is common practice to hide your registered information about your website. If you don’t, WHOIS records are public and your name and address could be found under 3 seconds. It’s easy to legally hide these records as most providers like Go Daddy offer privacy protection for cheap, so don't forget to do it.

6- Hide your IP address

When you have someone’s IP address, It’s not possible through legal ways to obtain his identity unless you’re a law enforcement official and you force the ISP to share the information. However, with free geolocalization services it’s possible to pinpoint most people’s city with about 99% accuracy. Works best on western countries. So hiding your IP is a good idea.

You can use proxy servers to do so. I used Hotspotshield in the past to watch TV programs that were blocked in my country (they block access by IP address). You can go to sourceforge.net and find other proxy programs, of if you want an instant quick proxy protection, go to Google and type “web proxy servers”.

While these steps will not prevent hackers from finding you, this will discourage the common manginas and feminists, who are usually not trained in the art of boldness.

removed

456 if it is not to late maybe you want to edit his name out. You make it known that he could be discovered with some effort.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

^Good call, samsamsam. I was about to post the exact same thing.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

[removed]

ahh I pressed reply instead of edit -- it will no longer let me edit this.

What programs/plugins do you recommend for hiding your IP?

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Quote: (03-02-2014 06:24 PM)runsonmagic Wrote:  

What programs/plugins do you recommend for hiding your IP?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but if you're really serious about hiding your IP, I think TOR is your best option right now. It has become simple and functional enough for everyone to use. You just have to read the few things to avoid to not compromise your IP and you will be good to go.

If you're looking for faster/instant anonymity than Hotspot Shield or any other proxy programs will do. The downside is sometimes website functionalities like java scripts are disabled.