rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Props to Tanner at Masculine Style

This post is long overdue as Tanner helped me out several months ago. Apologies for not getting this out until now.

I contacted Tanner in November of last year in order to select a new suit for a wedding I would be attending in December. It was a destination wedding in Park City, Utah and many old college friends I hadn't seen in years would be attending (the majority of the guests were from the Midwest). Every online interaction with them (especially the women) involved some variation of "there must be something wrong with you, why aren't you married with kids and a house?" Thanks to Facebook, I knew many of them had gotten married right after college, punched out kids and chubbed up a bit (or a lot), and their travel was limited to the Wisconsin Dells. I am in shape, have my finances together, and have traveled quite a bit. I wanted to blow everyone else out of the water. Compensating for my earlier years? Probably. Narcissistic? Absolutely.

I am fortunate enough to live in Salt Lake City, so I contacted Tanner about the possibly of a custom suit fitting and an in-person consultation. He was very prompt in his replies and the initial online consultation + style profile he developed gave me a good feeling that he knew what he was doing as well as opening my eyes to how colors work with different skin tones and which styles would work for my build.

Work events precluded me from coming back to the US with enough time to do a custom suit before the event but Tanner took this in stride. We arranged to meet at a large shopping center in downtown Salt Lake, where we would get what was available off the rack, and a tailor he recommended would do the rest.

From the beginning it was apparent that Tanner's passion is style. When he walked in, he definitely stood out from the other guys in the shopping center ([Image: gay.gif]) and what I noticed even more was how women responded to him when we entered the various stores. Female staff practically ran up to him asking to help us out, and females browsing in the shops gave him a second and third look. I had known in theory that style mattered, but seeing the practical application and its results really hit home.

That's another thing I want to hit on, Tanner ran shit like a boss in each store we went into. He was extremely specific in what he was looking for and didn't waste any time. It went something like this:

Staff member: "Hello, can I help you?"
Tanner: "Yes, we need a navy two-button coat in 38 long, navy pants in a 32/32, two 15 3/4 dress shirts in purple and blue, and bring me some ties in purple, blue, brown. Thank you." (turns to me and starts explaining why he selected each item)
Staff member: *deer in headlights*

I was very impressed that he came in with an exact plan and knew exactly where to go to find his requirements. He also has a personal relationship with staff in several shops, which helped me to receive a discount, have items held, and just taking in the general chitchat between Tanner and the staff provided a wealth of style information that I will use in the future.

We finally settled on an ensemble that included a navy suit, purple shirt & tie, light brown shoes, badass green polka-dotted socks and a pocket square (hat tip to G Manifesto). At his recommendation, I then went to tailor he knew and she provided the finishing touches.

As we shopped we also discussed red pill, the manosphere, the state of American men and women, general stuff like that. Tanner has a very interesting past and is a good conversationalist. We also reminisced about how we discovered the forum [Image: grouphug.gif]

When I walked out of my hotel room suited down, I ran into a couple who were also attending the wedding. I had met them the evening before at a casual meet and greet over drinks. The woman looked me up and down and immediately walked over to adjust my tie and compliment my shoes. Her husband gave me a dirty look and I gave my best smirk back.

Walking into the ski lodge (there were skiers on the lower level, the ceremony/reception was held on the upper level), I heard a guy tell his friends, "that suit guy knows what's up" and a few girls giggled "we like your shoes" as they darted past. I had already crushed a workout that morning and by this point I felt like King Fucking Kong. Going upstairs, all eyes immediately turned to me and there were two beats of silence. Remember, these are Midwest schlubs for the most part. A few guys were even wearing jeans (and not dark ones either).

The photographer (a decent 6) came up and said, "I have to get pictures of you!" I looked at her, smiled and said, "I know." It was a great feeling. Two of the catering staff made it a point to keep coming over to me as well. Pretty good looking dudes. I keed, I keed. Cute girls and they're now in my rotation.

I continued to receive compliments all night and as the drinks flowed, these married women with husbands RIGHT NEXT THEM demanded I dance with them, clowned on their husbands' personal habits, and generally wouldn't leave me alone. I felt bad for the guys, they're just dudes who thought they were following the right program but I have to admit I did have fun flirting with their women. Invariably a guy or two would lament that he got married too early and we would wind up chatting for a while. I did give out the RVF, Chateau Heartiste, and Rational Male URLs several times during the night, hopefully they'll visit.

All in all, Tanner helped me out tremendously and without him I would not have enjoyed the event nearly as much. He also opened my eyes to how little changes in one's style (and lifestyle) can alter your mood tremendously. I plan on getting another consultation with him to update my spring wardrobe.

Thanks, Tanner!

And yes, I did get a bang.

"Okay (and I'm laughing now, because this is so funny), so we're A) not supposed to give you flowers, B) pay you compliments, or C) look at you. Anything else? Because I'm struggling to figure out the reason why after hearing that, I'm feeling like I'd rather get fucked in the ass by a Cape Buffalo than ever have to sit through dinner with you. Maybe you can figure it out for me. When you do, let me know. I'll be at Natasha's house."

If you can, I'd love to see a photo of the suit. You can cut your head off, of course.

Masculine style is a great blog. Tanner always posts good shit.

Quote: (01-20-2014 09:19 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

If you can, I'd love to see a photo of the suit. You can cut your head off, of course.

Good idea. Not the greatest pic in the world, but it'll have to do:

"Okay (and I'm laughing now, because this is so funny), so we're A) not supposed to give you flowers, B) pay you compliments, or C) look at you. Anything else? Because I'm struggling to figure out the reason why after hearing that, I'm feeling like I'd rather get fucked in the ass by a Cape Buffalo than ever have to sit through dinner with you. Maybe you can figure it out for me. When you do, let me know. I'll be at Natasha's house."

Nice suit!

Nice suit, I like how it fits a little above the wrists, looks good. The shoes are looking good too, what shoes are those?

Quote: (01-20-2014 10:26 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

what shoes are those?

Allen Edmonds 'Clifton' Oxford

Masculine Style is one of my favourite websites. I owe almost everything I know about style to him. He Spoke Style and Kinowear are pretty dope too.

Nice outfit, especially if that was your first tailored suit. It looks much better than my first (and second and third) attempts!

The only thing I can see that needs work is the bulging around the chest (pic attached to show an extreme example). It could be caused by the waist being nipped too much (sounds unlikely, since I'm sure you were sent to a good tailor). Alternatively, it could be that your shoulders are wider than usual but your neck is average (common with guys who work out a lot). If it's the second, you'll probably have to go custom to get it 100% right. A good tailor may be able to widen the shoulders of an off-the-rack suit, but by the time you cover that cost, a custom suit will probably be better value.

[Image: tumblr_lxlirl0Vcl1r17ak3o1_500.jpg]

Nice suit, I like the impeccable color coordination. Those brown shoes just piss me off though.

Wait, he is in SLC? Lol I thought i was the only utahn (Americans look at you weird when I say Im from utah in LA'Wut? Where is that at?')

Btw, I just came back from LA. The standard is totally different.
I dressed the best way I could (bought tighter pants right away too) but i just looked average in LA.
with the same style, i would definitely stand out in slc especially if you drive just Several miles from downtown.

Suiting up here is not recommended unless you have a valid reason. (Came from business meeting, went to a wedding etc)

The best dresser ive seen in slc is the guy at chalk garden co op. He is in fifties i believe but hes got that gentleman look we see on magazines. 'I wish I would age like that'

Quote: (01-20-2014 03:01 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

Nice suit, I like the impeccable color coordination. Those brown shoes just piss me off though.

What's wrong with the brown shoes?

Quote: (01-21-2014 04:20 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Quote: (01-20-2014 03:01 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

What's wrong with the brown shoes?

Nothing, they look good. Most of this guys posts are not worth reading.

where is the pic?

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Sorry, pic back up:

[Image: Vu33Oeel.jpg]

Quote: (01-21-2014 03:13 AM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Wait, he is in SLC? Lol I thought i was the only utahn

Nope, I've been in SLC for about 6 years.

Looks sharp.

Some thoughts/suggestions:
- I think you could push the tie up a little. You see the button/collar above the tie which breaks the visual harmony
- Alternatively lose the tie and blow open that chest. 2 buttons undone. Show some skin.
- Flash the square a little. Puff or winged puff or points.
- Try a lourd square, say light blue, red, orange, or multicolored

Whats the reasoning for putting the medium brown shoes on a navy suit?

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Nice look and thumbs up.

The brown shoe look is advanced look not everyone understands nor can they pull off.

Check out any Italian mens fashion magazine or blog, you will see this combo featured alot.

I might have gone with a louder tie or something with more colour, that is a minor thing.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I like what Tanner did here- he went with a semi-monochromish blue/purple palette to give you a good basic look-monochrome is a snappy, crisp look if done right. Which it was here because it uses purple to be a bit edgier and the brown shoes

The shoes really make the outfit pop; light to medium brown shoes (these look walnut or cognac) look great with a navy suit.

I actually use this issue as a test-if someone says that only black shoes should be worn with a blue suit I know they know nothing about men's style and are just repeating what their mother told them.

Two minor criticisms- the short sleeves look a smidge too long but that's understandable with an off the rack shirt. And learn some pocket square folds other than the newsman, which to me is only for the most conservative situations.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

I like the aggressive cuff. The sleeve might be a tad short as mentioned.I use to do a little cuff and sometimes you can barely see it. On my next suit, I definitely going to show more cuff.

How tight is that jacket on you? Full range of motion? Or would you prefer to take it off at a meal?

I like the brown and blue combo have worn it myself.

Braces or belt?

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

DVY and MrXY, thanks for the feedback. I'm still learning as I go here; advice is always welcomed.

@samsamsam, the jacket is snug enough where I would prefer to take it off for a meal. And no braces nor a belt as the pants were fitted to me. This was a new one for me as well, but Tanner gave me the go ahead to ditch the belt...and I also read this on GSElevator:

"Did you forget your belt?"
"No, my pants fit. Did you forget to see your tailor?"

I've been seeing a lot of companies use belts and suits together for their marketing photos. I like how it looks with a belt that stands out a bit, but also read that it's seen as a sign of a poor fitting suit.

Thoughts?

[Image: a4984fa6e7ed1f82804ae56f4fde3aa3.jpg]

I'm no style aficionado, but to me a belt is like just about any accessory these days. A great way to add some character to your get-up.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (01-27-2014 06:03 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Thoughts?

It depends on where you are. If you're in a place which has a strong tradition of tailoring (eg. London, Hong Kong, Milan, Napoli) then ditching the belt will improve your appeal, especially amongst style-conscious women.

In other places they'll probably not get it, or maybe just think you forgot your belt. In that case you might be better off with the belt as it adds a bit of bling (as you pointed out).

Quote: (01-20-2014 12:58 PM)DaveR Wrote:  

Nice outfit, especially if that was your first tailored suit. It looks much better than my first (and second and third) attempts!

The only thing I can see that needs work is the bulging around the chest (pic attached to show an extreme example). It could be caused by the waist being nipped too much (sounds unlikely, since I'm sure you were sent to a good tailor). Alternatively, it could be that your shoulders are wider than usual but your neck is average (common with guys who work out a lot). If it's the second, you'll probably have to go custom to get it 100% right. A good tailor may be able to widen the shoulders of an off-the-rack suit, but by the time you cover that cost, a custom suit will probably be better value.

[Image: tumblr_lxlirl0Vcl1r17ak3o1_500.jpg]

Is it the shoulders that causes this? I always thought that maybe it is having muscle mass in the chest, but then I guess that wouldn't cause the jacket to come away from the shirt collar like that. I tend to find that most ready to wear blazers from high end labels do this, even if I size up. I'm fine if I stand with poor posture, but with correct, shoulders back, posture this tends to happen.

Quote: (01-27-2014 09:22 AM)Kieran Wrote:  

Is it the shoulders that causes this? I always thought that maybe it is having muscle mass in the chest, but then I guess that wouldn't cause the jacket to come away from the shirt collar like that. I tend to find that most ready to wear blazers from high end labels do this, even if I size up. I'm fine if I stand with poor posture, but with correct, shoulders back, posture this tends to happen.

Yeah, if the jacket is loose enough around the waist, then it's probably the shoulders. Tailors can cut a jacket for upright, normal or slouching posture, which will correct that issue for you.

So if you're wearing a jacket cut for normal posture but your posture is upright, the back of your shoulders will push the arm holes back. That in turn make the front of the jacket spread out.

Wider than average shoulders in a RTW jacket that fits in other areas will cause the same problem.