rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Biographies

Biographies

I'd never really thought about biographies before taking a class in grad school about them as a subject and I'll admit, I became super interested in them. I thought I'd make a space to list and talk about autobiographies, biographies, and memoirs people are reading or interested in. I've listed a few of my favorites below. Anybody else interested in reading biographies or read a really great one lately?

Nixon's memoirs (RN, not In The Arena) are mind blowing. I never grasped how big a deal Watergate was until it dawned on me through his day to day recollections that it was the equivalent of every modern political scandal all rolled into one, and it was the first of its kind. Nixon's rise through the US political system over four decades as seen through his eyes completely changed my understanding of American history.

My FBI by Louis Freeh, a look inside what goes on in the head of an FBI director. Also gives good insight on what it takes to be a good law enforcement officer.

The Real Fidel Castro - Never gave much thought to Castro before, I usually just dismissed him as being a bygone relic from the Cold War who wasn't even of much relevance then. Turns out he's a total badass. He's had 638 attempts on his life over the past 87 years and once crossed into the US illegally through Mexico by swimming across the Rio Grande to buy guns and get support for his then-coming revolution.

Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown and Soul On Ice by Eldridge Cleaver, two autobiographies about life as a young black man in an America that would rather they not exist and how without pattern interruption lives of meaningless violence and crime become cyclical.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Biographies

I'd also like to read about the lives of the greats more often.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin was a game changer for me.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Biographies

When the last US Presidential election featured a Mormon I realized that I didn't know a damn thing about them apart from BYU having an above-average football program. I looked around for a good book on the Mormon religion's founder, Joseph Smith. I decided on the following:

No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Knows-My-Hi...0679730540

The author, Fawn Brodie, was born and raised Mormon. She eventually left the Church and, when the book was published (1945), it caused no small amount of controversy among Mormons. However, the book really tries to balance the official (Mormon) history, the unofficial history, and did a hell of a job. It's a well-written, detailed book that manages not to get bogged down in said details.

FYI, Joseph Smith had some tight, sneaky 1800's game and those Mormons overcame some serious shit to get where they are today.

Biographies

I love bios. In the last year, I've read "Sweetness" by Jeff Pearlman (Walter Payton), "Can You Feel the Silence" by Clinton Heylin (Van Morrison), "Somebody" by Stefan Kanfer (Marlon Brando), "Satchel" by Larry Tye (Satchel Paige). I've blown through some others that were given to me as gifts, but wouldn't have otherwise been interested in (Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan, Shaquille O'Neal - they're decent subway reads because they aren't real deep). Manning Marable's bio of Malcolm X is the next up, and I have both of Obama's books that I'll get to at some point. I'm always looking to snag one of someone I find interesting. In the past I've read Miles Davis' autobio, and JC Watts' "What Color is a Conservative." I read "Soul on Ice" when I was a kid, and still have the little tattered paperback laying around somewhere. I have a few on the list to pick up at some point and read.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Biographies

Quote: (12-20-2013 01:51 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Is there any specific autobiography by B. Franklin that you recommend? I know there are several written about him, last time I was at the library I was trying to read different ones and I found most of them quiet boring. I would be glad if you could recommend me one (with an amazon link if necessary).

Biographies

Quote: (12-27-2013 06:04 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Quote: (12-20-2013 01:51 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Is there any specific autobiography by B. Franklin that you recommend? I know there are several written about him, last time I was at the library I was trying to read different ones and I found most of them quiet boring. I would be glad if you could recommend me one (with an amazon link if necessary).

He said it was the autobiography, so it's probably this one. $0.01 on Amazon at the moment.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Biographies

I'm also going to pick up a bio of Norman Mailer ("Mailer: His Life and Times" by Peter Manso).

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Biographies

i'm reading tyson's biography right now and it's really interesting

Biographies

I don't usually read biographies but recently read William Manchester's book on Douglas MacArthur, a very well-researched and in-depth book that covers his entire life and is a very long book but at no point is it boring and does not drag on at all, it is an immersive, entertaining and educational read about a man who set his own standards, followed them, and never doubted himself

Now I'm gonna trawl back through my good reads account

"The Real Lincoln: from the Testimony of his Contemporaries" by Charles LC Minor if that counts as a biography is probably the most complete takedown of Abraham Lincoln that I have read, totally shatters all popular conceptions of him

Reflections of a Russian Statesman by Konstantin Pobedonostsev while not really a biography is a very well written and well thought out reaction to democracy, liberalism and Westernisation from an ideological perspective that is rarely if ever encountered these days

Wedemeyer Reports by Albert C Wedemeyer a pretty good first hand account from a General of his time in China and South-East Asia in World War 2 that really makes one rethink America's role in that area

The Roosevelt Myth by John Thomas Flynn is a great book basically the equivalent of the above mentioned 'The Real Lincoln' but for FDR

Biographies

Tyson's autobiography is really cool. I also really enjoyed Sugar Ray Leonard's and Chuck Liddell's. Reading fighters' autobiography is worthwhile because they have wild lives (and thus the books are entertaining) plus you start to understand the backround and motivations that lead some one to become a champion fighter.

Biographies

The two Richard Burtons have excellent biographies:

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edmund Rice, about the amazing explorer.

Richard Burton: A Life by Melvin Bragg, about the actor.

Biographies

The Teddy Roosevelt Trilogy by Edmund Morris, The Last Lion Trilogy of Winston Churchill by William Manchester and Paul Reid, and John Adams by David McCollough are three of my favorite biographies. The First two are long. The Roosevelt trilogy is over 1000 pages and the Churchill trilogy is in the neighborhood of 2700 pages. Roosevelt had an absolutely fascinating life all around. It was interesting to read about Churchill being that he failed a lot of his life and his "grand finale" was keeping the Nazi's out of England and then getting booted from office. Plus he smoked cigars non-stop, had a cocktail on his at all times, and had suits from Savile Row.

Steve Jobs bio was good. Say what you want about Apple and Jobs, it isn't often you get to read about someone who truly "made a dent in the universe".

Vincent Van Gogh bio by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith. Long, probably longer than it needed to be. Guy was kind of an asshole, but he did have a mental illness. It was interesting though to read about an artist who studied color intensely and is most known for his colors, but was opposed to painting in color for most of his career.

Tyson's bio. Awesome story.

I think those have been the only bios I have read in the past couple years.

Biographies

Light My Fire: My Life with The Doors by Ray Manzarek. And also I recommend the new Mike Tyson biogprahy!! Worth reading

Biographies

Any thoughts on the Morrisey autobiography?
I know he's not exactly the most masculine of characters, but he is one funny bastard!
I picked up a copy and had a browse through, and the first couple of pages I read almost had me falling on the floor with laughter, his brand of caustic wit is brilliant

Biographies

Surely You Are Joking Mr Feymman is one of the best books I've ever read.

I am a science nuts myself, so I could relate to much of what he writes. Anyone into science or engineering has to read it. He was the proof than scientific geniuses can do much more than just science, and he was quite red pill in some aspects.

Biographies

Anybody read the autobiography of Nikola Tesla? Recommend it? Any other biographies about the man?

How about a biography of Leonardo da Vinci?

I'd also love to read a great biography about Howard Hughes.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Biographies

Bumping an old thread but do any of you have any recommendations on Alpha male type Biographies?
Some have been mentioned here such as Benjamin Franklin and Theodore Roosevelt.
Others I have in mind:
Genghis Khan, Frederick the Great, Napoleon, Tamerlane, Alexander the Great, Caesar Augustus, Julius Caesar, Hannibal, Issac Newton, Nicola Tesla, Bruce Lee, Mohammed Ali, Martin Luther King, etc.

Maybe not even a biography, something kind of like "A short history of nearly everything" type of book on great leaders and innovators. It is a lot to ask for, if you guys could recommend some good books I would appreciate it.

Biographies

Quote: (06-26-2014 12:55 AM)xxMarco Wrote:  

Bumping an old thread but do any of you have any recommendations on Alpha male type Biographies?
Some have been mentioned here such as Benjamin Franklin and Theodore Roosevelt.
Others I have in mind:
Genghis Khan, Frederick the Great, Napoleon, Tamerlane, Alexander the Great, Caesar Augustus, Julius Caesar, Hannibal, Issac Newton, Nicola Tesla, Bruce Lee, Mohammed Ali, Martin Luther King, etc.

Maybe not even a biography, something kind of like "A short history of nearly everything" type of book on great leaders and innovators. It is a lot to ask for, if you guys could recommend some good books I would appreciate it.

I've read Adrian Goldsworthy's biography on Ceasar (Ceasar: Life of a Colossus) and Anthony Everitt's book Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor. I greatly enjoyed both of them and learned a lot. Especially since I read the second one immediately after the first one, I was really into their world.

I read Herman Lindqvist's book on Napoleon (not sure whether it's translated into English), but a biography on Napoleon is something I would recommend. Must say I was surprised how beta he was with Joséphine.

Also Serge Bramly's book Leonardo: The Artist and the Man was alright. About Leonardo Da Vinci. But in my opinion the other three were better. But it was a long time ago, not really sure anymore. My favourite biography is probably Ian Kelly's book on Casanova, which was entertaining and interesting.

Biographies

[Image: 51V3PSXZ8QL.jpg]

Very solid and defiantly alpha. Filled with party-stories, feuds and glorious anecdotes. Definitely helps if you are familiar with wrestling, but great pains are taken to explain the politics and inner workings of the old-school territories and promoters.

Here's one of my favorite promos of his:

Flair is a self-made orphan who overcame many hardships and never stopped being true to himself.

Biographies

50th Law. Kind of a Biography of 50 cent with Robert Green (48 laws of power)

Good audiobook, 50 cent is a beat

Biographies

Just finished Richard Clarke's biography, "Against All Enemies". He's very constricted by the nature of what he writes, but does a great example of how government simultaneously does work no private business can match and how it can be horribly ineffective and a detriment.

Biographies

My Wicked Wicked Ways, the autobiography of Errol Flynn.
Its the mostly accurate life story of one of Hollywood's original international playboys.

Its got so many great lines and observations on life.

Biographies

Quote: (01-02-2014 06:25 PM)Sweet Jones Wrote:  

I don't usually read biographies but recently read William Manchester's book on Douglas MacArthur, a very well-researched and in-depth book that covers his entire life and is a very long book but at no point is it boring and does not drag on at all, it is an immersive, entertaining and educational read about a man who set his own standards, followed them, and never doubted himself

I would also recommend Manchester's book(s) about Winston Churchill, which combine an amazing amount of detail with a deep understanding of the man. Probably one of the best biographies I've ever read, I would say better than American Caesar(The book about MacArthur).

Biographies

Rommel The Desert Fox

Really interesting book on life and military career of Erwin Rommel who is considered one Germany's best ever military strategists and tacticians. At the end he was conflicted by his sense of duty and loyalty to his country and his intense dislike for what Hitler was doing.

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Biographies

Quote: (07-27-2014 03:08 PM)Dragonstone Wrote:  

Quote: (01-02-2014 06:25 PM)Sweet Jones Wrote:  

I would also recommend Manchester's book(s) about Winston Churchill, which combine an amazing amount of detail with a deep understanding of the man. Probably one of the best biographies I've ever read, I would say better than American Caesar(The book about MacArthur).

I second the Churchill books by Manchester. They were incredible. However, it should be noted that the three volumes, depending on edition, are roughly 2700 pages or so. And that's not 2700 easy pages either. Not something to just pick up for a weekend read.