rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

[tech] building desk tops

For the typical non-gamer, is it cheaper to build your own? watching 1080 video on YouTube with a couple chrome Windows open.

I've been tracking the typical Dell/hp/Lenovo desktop and trying to match the performance on pc part picker, and building it myself invariably more than buying some corporate joint. Especially when you throw in Windows

WIA

Its cheaper to buy from newegg and build it from scratch. The steps for installation are most likely on youtube. I'm a big fan of the fractal case.

I have generally built my own desktops, although I haven't bought a new CPU in a while because I haven't seen a need for it. I think it can be cheaper, but I have always tended to build with higher quality components than you get from Dell (better mobo's, PSU's, etc.). I certainly second newegg as a source of parts.

If the above is all you really care about, I would be inclined not to build it and just buy from whoever. I'm not really a gamer, but I do enjoy the technical aspect of building, so that's why I did it.

SSD drive for the OS. I'm using windows 7, not sure if all the bugs are out of 8 yet. hybrid drive (platter and ssd) for main storage. The SSD drive is a lot faster for frequently used programs and has no moving parts. The hybrid drive is great for additional storage and is faster than standard hard drives.

Ram is cheap so its easy to get about 16-32 gigs of ram. GPU is dependent on what you need as well as CPUs.

@kbell, how much is your set-up? Sounds like what I want.

Quote: (11-30-2013 01:25 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

For the typical non-gamer, is it cheaper to build your own? watching 1080 video on YouTube with a couple chrome Windows open.

I've been tracking the typical Dell/hp/Lenovo desktop and trying to match the performance on pc part picker, and building it myself invariably more than buying some corporate joint. Especially when you throw in Windows

WIA

For a non-gamer, you don't have to have a high-end PC to watch 1080P video.

I rebuilt my PC using the old ATX case, psu etc, slotted in a new motherboard and modest CPU and it copes with that sort of stuff easily. Will even re-encode videos at an acceptable pace.

The CPU is an Intel G1610 - the modern Celeron <pause while 'power-users' recoil in horror>. Old Celerons were dog slow, but this 3rd gen one is just fine for general use. It has built-in graphics so you don't even need a graphics card. It only cost about £30. MB was £40 and 4GB RAM was £20 - so a new PC basically for £90.

Windows Loader by Daz(?) will get your free Windows.

WIA - what can you re-use from your old rig?

Alternatively, if you have a site like redflagdeals or hotukdeals in the US, you may be able to find a bargain, pre-built system.

Ignore the gamer/power user crowd, that's a circle-jerk of one-upmanship which will hurt your pocket.

Mine was $1700 ish. Buts its for graphic art and design with a dual screen sit-stand setup. So its a bit unique. 660 gtx nividia gpu (was 300 but there is better stuff out now). intel core i7 3770. I believe its quad core. 750 watt nxzt power supply unit (psu). A blu ray burner. I also use artic silver on the cpu to help keep cool temps on the processor. I was tempted to get a giant cooling fan for the cpu for overclocking and making the system even silenter. THe case itself is very quite but it could be even more quite.

The table itself was close to a thousand and I have a swopper chair when I get tired of standing which is 700. Wouldn't recommend the chair though its okay but there is probably better solutions for a sit stand chair. There are also now cheaper solutions for sit stand tables.

My computer could easily play any game as well, but its a beast for graphic design. So 1080 p is nothing although my monitors are old and not that high.

Quote: (11-30-2013 03:02 PM)kbell Wrote:  

SSD drive for the OS. I'm using windows 7, not sure if all the bugs are out of 8 yet. hybrid drive (platter and ssd) for main storage. The SSD drive is a lot faster for frequently used programs and has no moving parts. The hybrid drive is great for additional storage and is faster than standard hard drives.

Ram is cheap so its easy to get about 16-32 gigs of ram. GPU is dependent on what you need as well as CPUs.

Would you recommend this set up for:

-Solidworks (40%)
-Rhino (20%)
-Keyshot
-Softimage/maya
-Adobe CS6
-Web browsing

@acute angle

My boys in the IT dept at my old engineering job built me one 10+ years ago, and I recycled it last year. I've been rocking laptops for the last decade.

So I'm starting from scratch, maybe a keyboard or mouse is in the garage someplace.

WIA

yep. I use blender/zbrush, photoshop cs 4 (no reason to update unless they added the mirror function), marmoset toolbag, and Unreal Development Kit with no problems. I do want to get a hacked version of 3d max at some point. Those programs run well even off the slow drive, but its a lot quicker loading them from a nice beefy SSD. Mine is like 200 gigs but its down to 90 gigs now. I have steam on my main hard drive. ANd will eventually get another hybrid drive since games take up a lot of space and steams sales are really good. Just have no idea when I will play these games. I did manage to pick up the texturing program Substance Designer 4 recently for 50 bucks.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlock...ppuNX1OnMI

[Image: attachment.jpg15670]   

For years I'd have advised building your own desktop, but looking around, it may be better to pick one pre-built, unless you need something specific.

I used to build desktops but stopped when the savings became minimal compared to buying a custom one from websites like cyberpowerpc. The pic aliblahbla posted summed up my reasoning perfectly.

It's fun and easy to do. I enjoyed it.

I recommend it only so you have a good reason to understand the guts of your computer if you decide to do small upgrades or shit breaks and you have to replace it. Building your own desktop used to be a huge cost savings but "big box" companies have been slashing their profit margins (not like in the days of Dell and their fucking 256 mb of ram "mini-desktops" that were 800 bucks when a much better computer could have been built for 600) and like Ali and Mujeriego mentioned, custom pc websites are all the rage with lazy nerd gamers.

Anyone have any good links for figuring out the compatibility of new parts with your current parts?

I think my power supply is about to blow. Ive been noticing a burning electronics smell. Took my computer apart and I could barely touch the power supply it was so hot.

I'm thinking I might as well get more ram, graphics card, better cooling etc while I'm at it. I just don't wanna uy the wrong parts

Quote: (12-01-2013 03:49 AM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Anyone have any good links for figuring out the compatibility of new parts with your current parts?

I think my power supply is about to blow. Ive been noticing a burning electronics smell. Took my computer apart and I could barely touch the power supply it was so hot.

I'm thinking I might as well get more ram, graphics card, better cooling etc while I'm at it. I just don't wanna uy the wrong parts

I use this website to get an idea for how large of a power supply a system will need. The compatibility of new components is going to be dependent on your motherboard and power supply. For the ram you'll need to know how many pins are present on the connectors. There's also the issue of the motherboard's front side bus speed. You can put faster ram in a slower motherboard but it will be pointless as the ram will only run as quickly as the motherboard; this is known as bottlenecking because the system is only as fast as its slowest component. The graphics card will require a certain number of voltage power connectors from the power supply i.e. if it needs two 12v rails and your power supply only has one then you're out of luck.

Just remember that if as SSD hard drive fails, there is no way of recovering the data, so use a standard hard drive for any data that you cannot afford to lose.

That's why I put the main programs like OS and work programs on the SSD. There isn't much storage space on an SSD but it works like a partitioned drive would work. The prices are dropping too so if does every burn out on you it would be cheap to replace. Just make sure you save the serial codes for the programs and have a copy of the OS disk somewhere.

For the powersupply I personally like modular cables so I only have to use the amount of cables necessary to power everything. The traditionally power supply has a ton of excess cables which take up a lot of space in the system. I like the fractal design r4 case a lot besides the simple nice looks and size (its large although are there are smaller models based on needs), because there is a lot of room for clean tiedowns and hiding of cables behind the motherboard. This really helps with airflow.

Motherboard size is dependent on case size and what you need it for. Your probably don't need a large computer if your just using basic functions so can get a way with a smaller motherboard. Also if your not comfortable building it those companies may be good if the members vouch for them. I tend to like to build myself. Although its pretty easy to break pin connectors on the motherboard. I would also not get as strong as a gpu which would reduce your power supply power needs. The one I have I think has two power supply cables on it. So a week powered gpu might be the way to go.

Quote: (12-01-2013 10:46 AM)kbell Wrote:  

I would also not get as strong as a gpu which would reduce your power supply power needs. The one I have I think has two power supply cables on it. So a week powered gpu might be the way to go.

WIA doesn't need a separate GPU at all. The integrated one in 3rd or 4th generation Intel CPUs will do just fine.

Pre-built I'd guess he's looking at around $300 for the desktop, plus screen, peripherals etc.

Every guy should be able to repair their own computers/smartphones. Just like vehicles, there's a Youtube video for just about everything. If you want to start small, search Ebay or Craigslist for and old desktop/laptop and tear into it. Preferably buy it working so you'll know if you done something wrong upon reassembly. Used electronics can be had for dirt cheap.

For tools look around:

For smartphones/iphones I bought this at Fry's for $21. Cellphone repair places will rape your butthole to no end on repairs.

[Image: attachment.jpg15681]   

For computers, look for a small starter kit that cost less than $50, like this

[Image: attachment.jpg15680]   

We're talking about a $200 investment to learn a valuable skill that will save you bookoo money in the long run. Plus you can incorporate it into your game. Girls like dudes that can fix shit, and you can be working on getting her panties off while replacing her iphone screen.

Also, before starting, understand the concept of electro-static discharge. Invest in a wrist strap. I've been fixing high end shit for years, and still love to do so.

Thanks acute!

If you got basic specs to guide me through, that would help immensely.

Thanks

This tool kit is 6 bucks after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...003&cm_sp=

If you have shoprunner it is free shipping.

Tigerdirect and Newegg sometimes have bundles with everything you need or almost everything you need. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...p?CatId=31

http://pcpartpicker.com/ for parts and you can see what other people build sometimes (click a certain part and sometimes you will see a build using that part). Also tells you about parts compatibility (I would still double check).

Builds of different budgets and a great site to learn and ask questions. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buil...,3623.html

I built a desktop and had fun doing it. I enjoy trying to find the best value even though the time spent could have been used to make enough money to buy overpriced parts. Just enjoy the learning and tinkering. But if you watch a couple videos etc. It might take a couple of hours to build once you have everything ready to go. Not including OS and programs.

If you live near a microcenter - it has some pretty great deals on bundles that are in store only.

Just youtube some videos on pc building. Watch one (a well rated one) and see if you think you could handle the task. I will admit I spent a fews hours just trying to understand what was involved before jumping in, but had fun doing it.

Good luck.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (12-01-2013 01:49 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Also, before starting, understand the concept of electro-static discharge. Invest in a wrist strap. I've been fixing high end shit for years, and still love to do so.

I always wondered about why one should wear a strap, care to explain from your personal perspective?

I'm the guy that says: Since I've had no accidents, I'll pass on it.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (12-01-2013 03:30 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

This tool kit is 6 bucks after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...003&cm_sp=

Damn, they have a 146 pc set for only $29.99. It also includes a soldering iron, which is my next thought. Guys need to learn basic soldering. I picked it up in 8th grade, and has saved me a lot of frustration over the years on my own equipment.

There's a lot of threads about online classes and skills improvement, and here's a 4 hr Youtube class on surface mount soldering. It doesn't cost shit to practice on an old dvd player that's scrap.

Insanely useful to know. Burning solder smells good too. [Image: angel.gif]

I should learn how to solder. Thanks for the link ali - but man 4 hour video!

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (12-01-2013 03:53 PM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

Quote: (12-01-2013 01:49 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I always wondered about why one should wear a strap, care to explain from your personal perspective?

I'm the guy that says: Since I've had no accidents, I'll pass on it.

Its like wearing a seatbelt, you may never need it, but that one time..... Its always good to practice proper techniques/safety while working.

In an emergency I've used an extension cord for a ESD strap. I cut the two blades off the plug flush, leaving the round ground plug, then sticking it in the outlet. The wire of the other end was stripped and wrapped around my wrist.*

*Please don't try this at home.