rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

For those who have given up binge drinking

...do you still miss getting hammered?

I gave up binge drinking about 8 months ago. But I stilll find it a little annoying that I can't get smashed anymore. After few drinks - I sometimes get the urge to go on a bender.

But not anymore - I have given that shit up.

So - for those who have given up benders (25+ shots) - does the urge to get drunk fade over time?

I am not asking because I am worried about falling into another drinking binge. More just out of curiosity.

Quote: (11-16-2013 02:27 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

I gave up binge drinking about 8 months ago. But I stilll find it a little annoying that I can't get smashed anymore. After few drinks - I sometimes get the urge to go on a bender.

So - for those who have given up benders (25+ shots) - does the urge to get drunk fade over time?

I am not asking because I am worried about falling into another drinking binge. More just out of curiosity.

25+? Now I feel like an amateur.
[Image: 52442_teV8UHM0bB2gJOc.jpg]

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

It's been about 5 months for me since I had a drink and the desire to get hammered is pretty much gone. I'm pretty surprised as well since I loved a good bender.

[Image: huh.gif]

Unless you Brits measure shots as something else, 25 shots is way beyond binge drinking. I measure a shot as 44ml and by shots I guess you are talking about standard 40% hard liquor (rum/vodka/whiskey/scotch) etc.

Going by shots as 44ml whenever I am getting completely hammered, I am usually drinking between 10-15 shots some of them them as mixed drinks and others as taking a shot with some chase.

Usually though, to still have my senses 8-10 shots gets me pretty drunk.

We Canadians call 375ml of liquor bottles mickey and when we go to get drunk, we all have to at least drink a mickey each and a few shots on top of that.

I'm slowly starting to wean off binge drinking. I still do it but not nearly as much. Maybe once every week or two, on a Saturday night of something. Since I've gotten a car I've started to drink much less because I won't drink and drive. Now that I'm moving to a small town and will live within walking distance of every bar in town, that may change. My biggest thing though is I just hate dealing with the hang overs. They are so bad these days.

It the UK a standard shot is 25ml. 25 shots is about a bottle of spirit to yourself.

Quote: (11-17-2013 05:01 AM)Statsi Wrote:  

It the UK a standard shot is 25ml. 25 shots is about a bottle of spirit to yourself.

Ah that makes much more sense given Cardguy's post about drinking 25+ shots. Drinking 25 shots *44ml would lead to blackout drunk for most people.

For us shots are 44 ml and the standard mickey (375ml) which is only 8.5 shots for us would be 15 shots for Brits.

Now the whole OP makes sense and I don't feel as much of an amateur lol.

A bottle of hard liquor a or carton of beer to yourself is pretty much the minimum for a standard night of drinking here..

I have quit drinking entirely for five or more months at a time. The urge to get completely hammered isn't really there unless I'm about six beers or gin and tonics deep.

If you're still drinking a few beers here and there the urge will probably never go away. You could try cold-turkeying it for a month or two, then going back to a moderate intake and seeing if that works.

Could try smoking weed instead.

My friends think I'm bullshitting them when I report numbers in that ballpark. Still though, pretty impressive. How many benders (on that level) do you think you've gone on?

I think I've only ever crossed the 25 shots line (in a night) probably eight or nine times -not sure to be honest. I have killed a liter of hard liquor in a night before, usually on birthdays.

Last night for instance I drank about fifteen beers inside of three or four hours, had a decent buzz going, and probably could have driven home but didn't. Would have kept going but got tired and ran out of beer and cigarettes. I don't drink 3.2 piss either.

Kudos to a past of heavy binge drinking, I guess. It's probably a good thing to give that up.

I gave it up as of labor day 2013, mainly to work on other goals. Physique, money, etc. I now try to keep it under 3 drinks when I'm at a night spot. Redbull helps me out.

I've noticed that it takes me longer to warm up. I can't just show up at 11pm and start being social. Last night I royally bombed with a hot brunette while ordering my first drink at 11:30pm. Because I was stone cold sober, it set me back mentally. Took me a bit to jump back in.

Realized it had been getting in the way of achieving a lot of the things I wanted to do. I could easily put away .5 - 1 l of hard spirits in a night (though usually with blackouts). Canceling shit, postponing things, all results of hard drinking with progressively worse hangovers. Trying to do without now, not missing it as much as I thought I would. Feels good and my mind is clearer.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

One night I ate some psylocibin mushrooms and for whatever reason they made me realize that alcohol is a very poor choice of drug and an immense waste of time. I never drank again. Dont miss it either.

The quickest and easiest way to wean yourself off of alcohol is dedicate yourself to lifting or any intense exercise.

Once you start craving the endorphins you get from exercise, you will cease to crave alcohol. The two don't mix. Go do some heavy lifting and try to drink heavily that night. You'll get shitfaced off of a few drinks. I'm heavily buzzed after 2.

Your body will crave endorphins so much that you won't WANT to drink as much. If I work out the next day, I won't have more than a drink or two the night before, and usually none. I feel the difference too much. The day before a workout I'm pounding milk, chicken, whey, and green juice, looking forward to that moment where I blast through a PR.

The feeling you get from heavy deadlifts>being drunk

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Yeah - I guess a binge for me would be around 25 - 35 shots. So - a bit under or a bit over a full bottle of Jack Daniels (750ml).

The shots are pretty small in the UK. I was in Italy and ordered a double - and they bought over somewhere between 4 and 5 shots (by UK measurements). I remember an American comedian commenting on how mean the UK is when it comes to pouring out liquor. I had no idea we stood out that much.

I second the dudes response. Getting into exercise helps get rid of the cravings of drinking. I still go on a binder 20 shots or so about once a month because part of me loves getting shit faced and I doubt that wil ever go away completely.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Too me getting shit faced is really good fun. But I have decided to give it up for good.

I am big guy - and I do worry about injuring myself when drunk. And I have big parts of the night where I can't remember a thing. And I hate the feeling of paranoia and guilt that results from that.

Still - hangovers are fun for one thing. They make me horny as fuck. It is like being a teenager for the day.

I used to have 12-16 drinks every night it seemed, blackout drunk almost guaranteed. Every night.

I've since tempered my consumption to 3-4 beers on an average night, 5-6 on the weekends. Never obnoxious or blacked out, just calm and cheerful.

I don't miss getting blackout drunk or the crushing hangovers.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

L-Theanine after a bender will negate a hangover. Just don't take it before drinking or you will black out. I'm a heavy drinker and I have found doing MMA/Lifting negates my need to drink. And I only drink because after work I am BORED beyond belief. I don't drink at home - I go to my local and usually run game on whatever girls are there.

Does anyone know if there is a substance, plant or food that will make you hangover horny?

I want to stop with heavy drinking but I want that feel I have the next day because it makes me more social, relaxed and flirty for a couple of hours, but I want to avoid the headache and melancholy that kicks in after.

Quote: (11-18-2013 05:04 AM)trickykid Wrote:  

L-Theanine after a bender will negate a hangover. Just don't take it before drinking or you will black out. I'm a heavy drinker and I have found doing MMA/Lifting negates my need to drink. And I only drink because after work I am BORED beyond belief. I don't drink at home - I go to my local and usually run game on whatever girls are there.
Adding to the L-Theanine thing, I've gotten pretty destroyed, and the thing theanine helped me with most was getting back mental clarity, but if I drank too much the night before, L-Theanine still won't stop the physical hangover. I've been taking panax ginseng, calcium supplement and magnesium in addition to theanine, coffee and some eggs.

Feels like I never even drank the night before.

A humble gentleman's blog about pussy, cigars, and game.

LATEST POST:
The Problem With Nightclubs

Also check out my blog for cigar discussion and reviews.

I've only recently given it up due to working at a bar on weekends. But i suppose when i get a weekend off i will get absolutely fucked up, it is the British way after all.

Quote: (11-18-2013 07:08 AM)Idlenations Wrote:  

I've only recently given it up due to working at a bar on weekends. But i suppose when i get a weekend off i will get absolutely fucked up, it is the British way after all.

It's the South African way too.[Image: banana.gif]

Holy fuck. Last night was a bad binge. Expensive too...

I am gonna' try and give up alcohol altogether. It is the only way I guarantee an end to the random binges.

And it is fucking expensive (particularly in the UK). And about 40% of the price is pure tax. That always pisses me off.

I'm also giving up binge drinking for a while. I've had some bad nights over the past 6 months

Almost a few months since my last drink.

Not that long, really, but already I struggle to fathom the idea of being hammered. Not really sure how I ever found so much joy in it.

Quote: (11-30-2013 11:33 AM)cardguy Wrote:  

Holy fuck. Last night was a bad binge. Expensive too...

I am gonna' try and give up alcohol altogether. It is the only way I guarantee an end to the random binges.

And it is fucking expensive (particularly in the UK). And about 40% of the price is pure tax. That always pisses me off.

Don't try - just do it.

You're a reader; read this: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-C...allen+carr

It really is easy once you actually change your mind about it. The only thing that makes quitting hard is the belief that advantages exist; the ambiguity is what makes us hold on.

This book will bust that myth apart for you, and once you're certain you don't want to drink, it's not hard at all.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling