rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bachelor Life: High-Rise or House?

This is a question for those who have done both. Currently I live in my own home, a vestige of a previous life of matrimony. My life and lifestyle are pretty much 180 degrees different now, and my desire is to live a much more mobile life. I am now the quintessential 40 yo bachelor. Selling it would also pretty much symbolize the cutting ties with a lot of memories, both good and bad, of a previous life and hard work I put into the house over a number of years. And while at one time I was that typical yard maintenance/home improvement guy, I really have little to no inclination to do any of that anymore. So I'm now considering selling the house and leasing a high-rise apartment to theoretically afford more mobility, flexibility, and expat options should it present itself. Has anyone here made this kind of transition? Do you like it? What are the cons in your opinion?

Zero downside.

Sell your house.

Move into an apartment in Soho.

Enjoy the colors you will finally see.

Quote: (11-14-2013 10:55 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Zero downside.

Sell your house.

Move into an apartment in Soho.

Enjoy the colors you will finally see.

This is exactly what I'm thinking...just weighing it out before pulling the trigger

do it. do it now.

no downside, all upside

its where the women are.

logistics are supreme.

i did the same thing years ago and it was the best move i made.

Well, the only thing I would say is that we're coming into the off-peak real estate season. You could likely get a higher price next spring...but other than that, I would do it.

Just do it man, and high up with big floor to ceiling windows, you'll get no good natural light on lower floors.

Quote: (11-14-2013 11:13 AM)Menace Wrote:  

Well, the only thing I would say is that we're coming into the off-peak real estate season. You could likely get a higher price next spring...but other than that, I would do it.

Thanks. Yeah, if this goes down, that's the time frame I'm shooting for.

There is no guarantee what house prices will be like next spring, unless you are in a very desirable area.

Is renting out your house an option?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

How far is your house from the social spots at the moment?

Will you be doing more traveling?

@ rude
I guess I should clarify that this is this coming spring, so I basically have about a month to make the decision to put it on the market. Renting it out is an option, but I've done that before with another property in the past and I'm just not feeling that as something I want to do at this point.

@ deacon
The house is actually in a great area geographically…centrally located and close to everything. I jog at a nearby park and high-rises are going up all in the area, and so I'm developing a real itch for doing this. So this is not really a matter of location, but lifestyle. As far as traveling, yes I plan to do a lot more. In fact, I've already put out hints that I'd like to take a look at more international assignments (I work for a global company), so I want the flexibility to basically get up and go if need be, and not worry about business as a landlord.

Sell it.

Get a high rise loft.

Enjoy the massive difference of having everything taken care of for you, instead of dealing with the headaches of home ownership.

Good luck!

double post

Unless you own a house/home/cabin on a ranch or in the woods to get away from it all the best thing for a bachelor like yourself is an apartment in the city with great logistics.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

No way to predict future housing prices. Anyone that wants to say they can - well fill in the blank.

You gonna be more upset if you missed a few more bucks or more upset you lost equity?

Our financial markets are manufactured - and we have no idea what future world events hold.

And do you really want to wait another year?

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I bought a house when I was 21 and had all these bright ideas that I was going to remodel it to exactly how I liked it. After about 2 years of fucking around I realized that it is a lot of work.

I bought a condo about 8 months ago and couldn't happier. In a good downtown location next to plenty of bars and a few clubs (my town is only around 200k). If you are serious about gaming it makes it so much easier when you can literally just walk a few minutes away and be at your place. I'm not sure if as many girls would ride with me 10 or 15 minutes away to get back to my house on a first date. I was never into gaming when I had my house so I cant compare the two in that sense but it is also really nice when you want to travel knowing that you don't have nearly as many things to worry about.

I lived in a big nice house and I lived in a well known condominium.

The condo was hands down the best pantie dropper to date.

Also, there are so many women living in condos that daddy is paying for.

You worry about the dishes and your laundry and that's it.

I'd sell the house as the two things don't even compare.

Quote: (11-14-2013 11:12 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

do it. do it now.

no downside, all upside

its where the women are.

logistics are supreme.

i did the same thing years ago and it was the best move i made.

I had a similar epiphany.

If you are a single guy its kinda pointless to live in a house in an area with crappy logistics.

I am kicking myself for not doing this earlier. My place will be on the market soon.

Keep the house and rent it out. Use it for tax advantages and an equity base.

Rent a high rise.

Being a bachelor and living in a house on your own seems a bit weird. I'm not saying that everyone thinks you have people locked up in your basement, but still, an awesome highrise would suit your new lifestyle better.

Talked to my agent today...house will be on the market the 1st of the month. I was leaning this way already, but much thanks for all the helpful input and confirmations.

Something to consider is privacy, to the extent that it's important to you. The one advantage of living in a house, depending on how it's situated, can be that you never have to worry about hearing the neighbors or them hearing you. This is something that one can take utterly for granted until it's taken away.

This becomes an even bigger issue if you keep a somewhat unusual schedule and are sometimes awake when others sleep, and vice versa.

So to the extent this is important to you, be very careful about apartment buildings. There exist apartments and condos that can afford virtually as much privacy as a standalone house but those are often quite expensive. It's just not easy to provide sound insulation of this quality in a building.

Again, this may be irrelevant to you but if it isn't, it's something to to think about.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Quote: (11-15-2013 08:24 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Something to consider is privacy, to the extent that it's important to you. The one advantage of living in a house, depending on how it's situated, can be that you never have to worry about hearing the neighbors or them hearing you. This is something that one can take utterly for granted until it's taken away.

This becomes an even bigger issue if you keep a somewhat unusual schedule and are sometimes awake when others sleep, and vice versa.

So to the extent this is important to you, be very careful about apartment buildings. There exist apartments and condos that can afford virtually as much privacy as a standalone house but those are often quite expensive. It's just not easy to provide sound insulation of this quality in a building.

Again, this may be irrelevant to you but if it isn't, it's something to to think about.

The best set-up I saw was in Jersey City from a lawyer friend. He was in his 40's and owned a 4 or 5-story row home. Not necessarily the best spot logistically but privacy out the ass. Each floor in the house was like a private apartment in itself, including the basement. Can't remember how much it cost but seemed to be the best of both worlds.

Very valid point. I used to rent an apartment below an elderly couple who would stay up all night yelling at each other--their hearing was shot--and keep the TV up really loud. Every. Fucking. Word. Came through the ceiling into my bed room.

I've also rented apartments where I could both hear and be heard during the romantic act of hard fucking. I had a girl over a few months ago who, following our first noisy coupling, told me between catching her breath "Your landlord is going to hate you!" And without even thinking I said "No he is used to it."

Privacy is a premium you won't get in most apartment buildings or shared houses. At the same time, newer buildings in better neighborhoods seem to have really good insulation/lots of concrete between units. If money isn't an issue I would bridge the gap between loft and house with a studio apartment in the best spot in town.

Ok,...deal is just about done, and if all goes right will close in a few weeks. I now have the go-ahead to start looking to move from the agent and am in the middle of choosing from a few spots. What trumps what? A very nice place with great logistics (i.e. the bars and night life are literally an elevator ride downstairs), or a extremely fly pad a few blocks from the action?

I like the idea of a great pad that is a can't miss once you get her there, but the logistics of being able to just roll upstairs from the action is very appealing. All of these places have good logistics so its a matter of degree, but some are just ridiculously good. There is also another place that is a little away from the action (but not too far...about 10 min,) that is pretty nice and literally crawling with women...literally. But I think I might need little more variety and access to the other action. So thoughts? ...what trumps what?

Does the high-rise have a lot more noise? Is it much smaller? Those are things I noticed moving to the city- not a big deal but noticeable. I'm also 40 and lived before in the suburbs (Dallas) and now in a penthouse (Manhattan). Definitely love the logistics and access to young, hot girls in the city (and never having to drive). For me, I think the key is making sure I can get out of town a lot. Otherwise being anyplace (even a nice high-rise) is too claustrophobic.

The only negative of a high rise is community garage if you have nice toys, otherwise its a no brainer.