rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

what % of your income goes toward rent?

i'm living with my parents at the moment, but when i last had a 1 bedroom apartment downtown (toronto) for myself i was paying about 37% of my after tax income (27% before tax) for it in rent + parking.

just curious where/how you guys live and what % you guys are paying, and what is the norm for a young male in a major metropolis prime for poon-chasing. honest answers please.

21% before tax to live downtown. If you want logistics in the west with your own one bedroom then that seems to be around the correct price. You'll pay more for cities like New York where you don't need a car but then you won't have to pay for a car.

If you cheap out on rent then you will pay out some other way and usually a lot more. Theft, taxi fares, not getting girls back to your place, no one wanting to visit you because your in the boonies, etc.

I'd say spend more money on yourself and less money dating. If you live downtown you don't need to get girls drinks at the bar because you can have them pre game at your place for next to nothing.

Plus you'll feel good about having a nice place. My outlook on life has improved since I decided to stop slumming it. Meet better people, less hassles and overall better quality of life.

34% after taxes and without commission checks added in.

Last month rent was 13% after taxes.

24% after taxes. When I lived in the Toronto GTA I was up to 46% for a similar sized place.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

20% after taxes.

40% after tax.

20 percent, would be 8% if I moved in with my brother and Dad, but logistics trump everything.

10% after tax, basically living in a frat house. Incredible situation but no way in hell would I do it if my roommates weren't excellent and like-minded men.

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

15%. I live in a one-bedroom apartment in a walkable neighborhood. Ohio is cheap. Most of the women past their mid-twenties aren't fuckable though.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Quote: (10-01-2013 05:59 PM)Frost Wrote:  

10% after tax, basically living in a frat house. Incredible situation but no way in hell would I do it if my roommates weren't excellent and like-minded men.

Damn. Is this in a major Canadian city? Convenient spot? That make me extremely envious....

I have myself convinced that I have to live alone. Not sure if that is actually the truth or not.

I was busting my ass to get my business off the ground this summer. Aside from small hussles, I was essentially paying 60% of my income to housing (Vancouver). I knew it was temporary, and now I am paying 20% after tax (condo and office/studio).

I thought I was going to win out with 17% but it seems like there are some super frugal guys here. Still, I live alone in a 900 sq ft. 1 bedroom in West LA, but I scored by a combination of renting at the bottom of the Great Recession (pay $450 less than my neighbor who moved in last year) and rent control.

Quote: (10-01-2013 07:12 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Quote: (10-01-2013 05:59 PM)Frost Wrote:  

Damn. Is this in a major Canadian city? Convenient spot? That make me extremely envious....

I have myself convinced that I have to live alone. Not sure if that is actually the truth or not.

I was busting my ass to get my business off the ground this summer. Aside from small hussles, I was essentially paying 60% of my income to housing (Vancouver). I knew it was temporary, and now I am paying 20% after tax (condo and office/studio).

I used to live in Van. Love the city, but it's brutal unless you're making cake. I was lucky, again, and found a great deal with a great room mate, but I also knew guys paying 2k for meh places.

I'm in Ottawa now. Great place and perfect location. The key to the low rent is the multiple room mate situation. If I didn't have that lined up, I would be paying 20-30% for a nice place of my own.

In your situation - i.e you don't have solid guys who you know who you want to live with - I would definitely live alone.

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

12%

I live in a boring city but it's two miles away from a popular bar scene. If I lived then it would be 16%

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

I live with my parents right now but if I started to rent it would be about 35-50% after tax.

Holy fuck, I envy you guys. For me it's 35% (just rent, no electricity or similar stuff). I track my expenses with much detail, so I know that my expenses are structured roughly like this:

35% rent
20% fixed expenses (electricity, water, trash disposal, internet, phone)
22% food
8% health and hygiene (medicines, sanitary products, dentist)
10% fun (drinks, eating out, travel)
5% savings

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Thanks god only 0%. It took a while but it´s a nice feeling. I don´t even need income from work.

Quote: (10-02-2013 05:34 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Holy fuck, I envy you guys. For me it's 35% (just rent, no electricity or similar stuff).

this thread has 600 views and 16 replies. those who pay a lot have kept silent lol.

Holy fuck, I envy you guys. For me it's 35% (just rent, no electricity or similar stuff). I track my expenses with much detail, so I know that my expenses are structured roughly like this:

35% rent
20% fixed expenses (electricity, water, trash disposal, internet, phone)
22% food
8% health and hygiene (medicines, sanitary products, dentist)
10% fun (drinks, eating out, travel)
5% savings

HCE:

I like how you broke this down, but I find your numbers a little stressful. High rent and low savings. I imagine by savings you also mean investment like 401K or something like that?

Quote: (10-02-2013 08:43 AM)Bill Wrote:  

Thanks god only 0%. It took a while but it´s a nice feeling. I don´t even need income from work.

Bill:

How can anyone have 0%? Even if you own property, there is sales tax. If you live with a sugar moma or with parents, then there is some obligation, no?

I am thinking that there is no free lunch. If not with money, then how are you paying? if not, share your secret to 0% rent costs.

BTW: my rent% of income in Los Angeles has fluctuated over the past 10 years between 15% and 50% - but mostly, with the help of subletting (roommates) I have kept my rent between about 20% and 30%.

Currently, my rent is about 16%, but my income is about to change, so in November, my rent will be 25%.

Yet, I am going to establish geographical mobility, so that is another story. So, I anticipate that starting in February 2014, I will be moving, traveling and finding places to live in lower cost areas, but in those situations, I may be living out of hotels - travel-style, which will change the whole package of expenses.

Quote: (10-02-2013 04:07 PM)bodmon Wrote:  

Holy fuck, I envy you guys. For me it's 35% (just rent, no electricity or similar stuff).

this thread has 600 views and 16 replies. those who pay a lot have kept silent lol.

Uhh, I'm the loser right now at about 70%. But I don't work and it's a lovely sunny, NorCal area-- just beautiful.

For two years every day I've woken up and done exactly as I please every minute, all day, until I go to sleep.

I'm starting work for a few months next week, before taxes then my small 1 BR will be 7%.

"Time--time-- is all you've got"
-- Ry Cooder, Flathead

40%

FUCK SYDNEY

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Quote: (10-02-2013 10:56 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Bill:

How can anyone have 0%? Even if you own property, there is sales tax. If you live with a sugar moma or with parents, then there is some obligation, no?

I am thinking that there is no free lunch. If not with money, then how are you paying? if not, share your secret to 0% rent costs.

Yet, I am going to establish geographical mobility, so that is another story. So, I anticipate that starting in February 2014, I will be moving, traveling and finding places to live in lower cost areas, but in those situations, I may be living out of hotels - travel-style, which will change the whole package of expenses.

This was the question, right? - As I said I don´t pay rent. Yes I do have some other costs which are extremely low as I am here in Ankara. I am owner of the flat, the taxes and fees are very low here in Ankara,, it´s almost nothing. Also flats are quite cheap. About 30k Euro.

I also do want to make your style of trip to other countries but the hotel costs suck. Let´s see. - One has to live and work (Salsa teacher?) in a good country and own a flat. Paying rent sucks. - In Munich I paid almost 40% for rent.

Less than 10%, water, electricity and internet included.

Quote: (10-03-2013 10:45 AM)Bill Wrote:  

I also do want to make your style of trip to other countries but the hotel costs suck.

My travel ideas are currently in the planning stages, and I have not completely shored up all of my income streams - yet nonetheless, my kinds of costs are going to change, and I will have some transitional cost issues.

Then in the end, I will be keeping track about how much it will be costing me per month to live in hotels. My initial plan is to kind of keep moving but to stay in each city for about a month or so (and attempt to obtain a little bit cheaper lodging by negotiating lower rates for longer stays)... so maybe, while traveling, I can keep lodging well below $1000 per month.

One has to live and work (Salsa teacher?)

In the short-term, I am not planning on engaging in any work activities. BTW, my first trip will be from about February to June. Then I will return to the States, and my second trip will be from August to ??? not sure how long maybe 6 months? Hopefully, this Govt shut down crap does not interfere with my plan and create too much world chaos that can be disruptive b/c I am not at all financially independent to the well being of the dollar - and in essence my plan assumes dollar stability. And, in my humble opinion, dweebs in DC can mess up my plans.

Also, I have other skills besides salsa dancing that I could fall back upon to supplement my income and to occupy some of my time, if needed. The salsa dancing angle could be more fun, though. I will be exploring various angles for activities and I would not be opposed to being paid for some of my activities, if that is what i chose to do.

Paying rent sucks. - In Munich I paid almost 40% for rent.

Seems inevitable that there is always going to be some costs for lodging, and even in the end, your lodging costs in Ankara still may be 1% or more of your income by the time you really look at it (taxes, utilities) Probably, it is too cold to live in Ankara in a cardboard box, and even guys living in cardboard boxes probably have some lodging costs, such as the cost of having people steal your stuff (even in some places the cost of having the police destroy your stuff, which sometimes happens). I hope to never have to live in such conditions such as a box or a shantytown. But, i tend to be fairly curious, and i DO NOT mind visiting those kinds of places, and seeing the way other people live.

I overhead this chick at work saying she was in massive debt today.

She is paying £300 per week which is double what I am paying. She has the same position as me, same pay, so she would be paying around 80% of income after tax on rent.