rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Opinions on a Part-time Job in High School

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinions on getting a part-time job in high school.

Is there any real benefit to it, other than the $10/hour before taxes? I calculated it and I only have like 20 spare hours a week after school, sleep, cross-country, and I would be working 10-15 hours/week.

So is it worth it? What are your experiences with part-time jobs in high school?

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Work at a gym and lift. 2 birds 1 stone

Expands your social circle and in the right job you get paid to make approaches.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Quote: (08-31-2013 11:44 AM)Switch Wrote:  

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinions on getting a part-time job in high school.

Is there any real benefit to it, other than the $10/hour before taxes? I calculated it and I only have like 20 spare hours a week after school, sleep, cross-country, and I would be working 10-15 hours/week.

So is it worth it? What are your experiences with part-time jobs in high school?

Yeah, it's worth it. It gives you something to motivate you and occupy your time. It also teaches you the value of earning a dollar and not being an entitled kid. You can save some money, go on some dates or save to get a better car or travel later on.

While you're at it, learn a trade or two. Maybe read some book on programming or graphic design (photoshop).

The only thing about this is....your supervisor will dictate your work schedule, not you. You're at their mercy. If she wants you to stay late or give you 20-30 hours...she will. If you refuse she will say "good luck, pick up your check on monday".

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (08-31-2013 11:44 AM)Switch Wrote:  

I wouldn't do it. You deserve more than $10 hr. Try more like $15. Wait until the minimum wage increases to get a job.

Quote: (08-31-2013 03:48 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I wouldn't do it. You deserve more than $10 hr. Try more like $15. Wait until the minimum wage increases to get a job.

For a high school job? A few years ago I remember kids (15) were working in at Subway for 7.25.

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

You're in high school. You live with your parents. You're not playing sports (or at least have a season off...)- What else do you have to do?

$10 an hour is plenty right now considering you have little to no overhead. You'll thank yourself when you go off to college and can take a semester of loans off of your bill...or better yet, take that money and invest it for two years... Then take it out and study abroad.

Play on playa.

In high school I lifeguarded.

I was like 16 and I would occasionally go to college parties after work with my manager.

If anything you will be able to expand your social circle.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Absolutely.

Don't work too much in a way that it interferes with your social life or grades.

~10 hours a week is perfect. $100 a week, $400 a month, $4800 a year.

A lot of money considering you probably have little to no expenses.

You'll be able to go on trips, upgrade your wardrobe, save for when you want to move out, etc.

-

My kneejerk reaction was going to be to tell you to focus on stuff like wordpress, SEO, internet marketing.

Then I realized that working in a gym-type job would help you with social interactions, basic sales, and general networking abilities. These things are important to build early and often.

Overall I agree with this plan.

-

Apprentice at a tattoo shop. Learn tattooing or piercing. There's an endless line of hot young bitches walking in everyday ...especially in the summer. You can spit game all day long.

Most apprenticeship aren't paid but if you're cool and help run the front desk and answer the phone they'll probably throw you some cash.

Team Nachos

Quote: (08-31-2013 04:53 PM)renotime Wrote:  

In high school I lifeguarded.

I was like 16 and I would occasionally go to college parties after work with my manager.

If anything you will be able to expand your social circle.

A lot of my friends did this. Easy job and got to hang out with girls all day.

Get a part-time job. And work through university, too.

Trust me. Not that anyone in this thread said this, but ignore any advice about just focusing on having fun or "you have so much time to get your act together" and all that.

Get a job will help you expand your social circle, develop better social skills, save up some cash, and get a head start on building up your resume for when you apply for competitive internships and for better jobs. Seriously that last one is really important.

I REALLY wish I didn't take any time trying to figure things out and just went right ahead with working, building my resume, and try to get a good job.

[from a new grad]

I recommend to the youngsters on here to seek out a job that you will actually learn something.

1. Mechanic shop. Fixing your own shit, or knowing when a dirty shop is ripping is a life-long asset. You will get lots of pussy from fixing bitches cars. Just don't work for a Greek.

2. Labor for carpenter, mason, plumber, ect. Basic knowledge in is construction is helpful, and you'll get in shape in the process. Not gay gym strength, but real world muscle.

3. Hustle. Mow yards, detail cars, help people move. Network and get creative. Start with family and people in the church and branch out. Advertise online or any resource in your area.

4. Part time cook. Sounds gay but being proficient in the kitchen is worth its weight in gold. It'll get you laid, save money, and make you cool like me and Dude 3737.258 (rounded to the nearest thousandth).

I worked at a grocery store, slung mortar on weekends, cleaned cars, lifted heavy shit, cleaned store fronts after hours, sold feathers from game birds, bought and traded shit.

A part time job is great in highschool, just try and balance your social life with it.
I used to work weekends pressure washing all the machines at a meat factory on weekends and occasional nights we'd do other jobs.
I had a truck before anyone of my friends, had money to drink and all that fun stuff and go on dates.
Like some of the others mentioned, if your into the trades try and get into something you might like by the time your 23 you'll be a full journeyman pretty much.
You can also do co-op, I did this at a bodyshop and got paid as well. I did it the year after too and learnt plumbing.
Good stuff to know.

why not sell weed or someting more interesting from the silkroad?

Quote: (09-02-2013 01:33 AM)calihunter Wrote:  

why not sell weed or someting more interesting from the silkroad?

I cannot tell if you're Trolling or not. Selling weed and risking getting arrested? It's easier to just make 9/hr, the kid does not have any responsibilities or bills to pay.

Not trolling. The kid is underage. So if he's white (just an assumption) and smart about it, he can make bank, access to lots of poon, n hookups to every single social circle

Shit, ill teach my kid to deal when hes in hs

[quote='Aliblahba' pid='524465' dateline='1378072309']
I recommend to the youngsters on here to seek out a job that you will actually learn something.

1. Mechanic shop. Fixing your own shit, or knowing when a dirty shop is ripping is a life-long asset. You will get lots of pussy from fixing bitches cars. Just don't work for a Greek.

2. Labor for carpenter, mason, plumber, ect. Basic knowledge in is construction is helpful, and you'll get in shape in the process. Not gay gym strength, but real world muscle.

3. Hustle. Mow yards, detail cars, help people move. Network and get creative. Start with family and people in the church and branch out. Advertise online or any resource in your area.

4. Part time cook. Sounds gay but being proficient in the kitchen is worth its weight in gold. It'll get you laid, save money, and make you cool like me and Dude 3737.258 (rounded to the nearest thousandth).

I worked at a grocery store, slung mortar on weekends, cleaned cars, lifted heavy shit, cleaned store fronts after hours, sold feathers from game birds, bought and traded shit.
[/quote

Seriously good advice there. Now I look back, I did all those things, and every day I use a skill I learnt back then.

@Switch- you are getting some seriously good advice here. Props to you for asking in the first place. Act on it and you'll be streets ahead of your classmates when you finish school.

One bit of advice I'd add is to spend some of your money on stuff that will make you money. For an example, from the age of 16 I spent all my wages at the hardware wholesalers. Now I have two trucks full of tools and a workshop full of spares. I go to grab something like a socket set, and I'm reminded of those early days, then that socket set cost me half a days wages. But 7 years on, I'm thankful I bought them as they've paid for themselves thirty times over.

Depending on what you want to do in life, stuff you could buy would be tools, a copy of Photoshop or something (get your edu discount whilst you can!) or even shares.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Don't think the above workd. So here we go again, apologies if it's only me that can't see it after clearing my cache...

[quote='Aliblahba' pid='524465' dateline='1378072309']

[/quote

Seriously good advice there. Now I look back, I did all those things, and every day I use a skill I learnt back then.

@Switch- you are getting some seriously good advice here. Props to you for asking in the first place. Act on it and you'll be streets ahead of your classmates when you finish school.

One bit of advice I'd add is to spend some of your money on stuff that will make you money. For an example, from the age of 16 I spent all my wages at the hardware wholesalers. Now I have two trucks full of tools and a workshop full of spares. I go to grab something like a socket set, and I'm reminded of those early days, then that socket set cost me half a days wages. But 7 years on, I'm thankful I bought them as they've paid for themselves thirty times over.

Depending on what you want to do in life, stuff you could buy would be tools, a copy of Photoshop or something (get your edu discount whilst you can!) or even shares.

Are you any good at sports?

If so, I'm going to go against the grain and say you should put all your energy into that. This is the one time in your life when you're going to be able to fully invest yourself in an "extracurricular" activity and not worry about keeping a roof over your own head. I grew up piss-poor and boned out on sports in high school for work because it was a struggle for my mom to keep food on the table and we didn't have shit.

It's one of my biggest regrets - I was a natural at football and wrestling and either probably could have paid my way through college if I would have stuck it out and made do with less.

I'm a big proponent of building good work ethics while you're young, but if you have the luxury, I say you build them by focusing on sports and/or school and maximizing the opportunities you have right now. Not everyone has that option. And playing sports is not a waste of time even if you don't accomplish anything with it - you really get a lot out of it (self-discipline, the habit of working out, goal-setting, social skills, networking opportunities, a reason not to party too much, etc). Or start a big project of some kind that has to do with your career interest. This time will be gone before you know it and then you'll be caught up in the grind the rest of the world is in.

Work in the summer.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Sorry for the triple post. Didn't close my quotes correctly, props to Tuth for pointing this out on another thread.

Quote: (09-01-2013 04:51 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

@Switch- you are getting some awesome tips on this thread. Props to you for asking in the first place. Act on it and you'll be streets ahead of your classmates when you finish school.

One thing I'd add is to spend some of your money on stuff that will make you money. For an example, from the age of 16 I spent all my wages at the hardware wholesalers. Now I have two trucks full of tools and a workshop full of spares. I go to grab something like a socket set, and I'm reminded of those early days, then that socket set cost me a days wages. But 7 years on, I'm thankful I bought them as they've paid for themselves thirty times over.

So I forgot to mention earlier that I don't really need the job. I have enough saved up from odd-jobs etc to pay for gas through high shool and probably longer.

My job would be teaching kids swim lessons, and it is at the gym I currently go to (fitness center).

I already know photoshop and after effects (I geeked out in middle school). But i'm not very creative with logo design, etc so can't make any money with it. I run a website using wordpress, so that is a skill of mine, along with SEO, social marketing and other skills behind running a website. I hope to build this site into something that brings 100+ bucks a month eventually. It only gets like 40 uniques a month at this point, it's only 2.5 months old. I don't want to look like I'm spamming on here so I won't post it.

For working on sports specifically, I would have to work very, very ridiculously hard at *my sport* to get any sort of scholarship (like 3+ hours a day through the end of senior year, I'm a *year* starting today.) DIII may be a reasonable goal.

In school I'm taking a bunch of AP classes so it is rigorous.

So I guess what I'm really asking is if a 10+ hour per week job would be worth the 5 or 6 thousand I've saved up by the end of senior year, or if I'm better off just focusing on school, game and chilling?

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Switch: what would you be doing with your time if you didn't have a job. If its just jerking off and playing videogames whats the point of doing that instead of making money. That being said if you actually do spend that 10+ hours a week doing something more valuable to yourself or to your wallet then forget about the job.