rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How To Hold Your Alcohol Down

I am currently in Beijing and tonight I am going to an event where the tradition is for the natives to get the guest drunk. The event is a dinner in which the men will each ask me to take a drink with them. There are around 40 people and I was told that about 15 of them are going to offer me a drink. In other words, I am getting at least 15 drinks while each of them will drink one.

To put this in perspective, it is very disrespectful to turn down the drinks that are offered. I didn't make the rules. Just playing the game.

I am planning on drinking whatever they throw at me so my question is: how do ya'll hold your liquor down?

Quote: (05-24-2013 09:08 PM)Yano Wrote:  

I am currently in Beijing and tonight I am going to an event where the tradition is for the natives to get the guest drunk. The event is a dinner in which the men will each ask me to take a drink with them. There are around 40 people and I was told that about 15 of them are going to offer me a drink. In other words, I am getting at least 15 drinks while each of them will drink one.

To put this in perspective, it is very disrespectful to turn down the drinks that are offered. I didn't make the rules. Just playing the game.

I am planning on drinking whatever they throw at me so my question is: how do ya'll hold your liquor down?

Are you allowed to drink water? That will soften the blow somewhat. You'll be bloated as fuck, but it will help you feel less horrible in the morning. Also, I think there are anti-hangover pills available. I hope the drinks are in small glasses.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Quote: (05-24-2013 09:08 PM)Yano Wrote:  

Eat a high starch/carb food before the event. Don't overeat though.

You'll need space during the event to keep snacking on more food. It won't make you less drunk, it will space out the impact of the alcohol.

Go to the bathroom after about 5 drinks. Throw up and come back and finish. I think you can handle 10.

Eat a hearty meal with lots of fat before you start drinking, this will dramatically slow down your absorption of alcohol (a good thing). Try to snack through the night, too, if possible. If you'll be drinking stuff that is harder than beer, try to have a glass of water every now and then. You might also opt for a shot of bitters or a bitters and soda during the night, if it is available. Bitters stimulates your body to create bile which is one of your body's ways of metabolizing ethanol.

I needed some advice too, I'm headed off for a bonfire tonight [Image: wink.gif]

Take some advice from Chopper Reid and HARDEN THE FUCK UP

Learn how to artfully refuse and delay the onslaught. If you don't they will enthusiastically hammer you into oblivion giving and getting face. Play the game like they do, don't be the dumb foreigner. You get no points for the latter. If you're the one getting drunkest, you're doing it wrong. Study the Chinese alphas.

Drink a shot of olive oil before the alcohol starts flowing.

F*kit. Get drunk, pull a girl and report back with a great story that would make the Hangover franchise writers jealous. : )

@timoteo- yeah I will drink water to balance it out. I agree though that I will be bloated as fuck. I weigh 150 pounds so I am going to be feel like a tank after this.

@kickboxer- I will most likely be drinking Chinese wine which is really spicy and hurts like hell coming back up (personal experience)

@westerncancer- go hard in the paint.

@joseph dantes- My Chinese is on a survival level. Nothing fancy. Your advice is not as realistic is you may imagine.

On a side note, There is little difference between Chinese alphas and American alphas. The one thing that I notice though is that they rarely talk. When they do talk it is loud, commanding, and nobody speaks while the head honcho does. There aren't many Chinese alphas but the ones that are are the truest alphas I have ever seen. They are similar to the dothraki leader in game of thrones.

@lurker - never heard of this. I will try this out tonight though.

@mcqueen- I'll be back.

Quote:Quote:

In other words, I am getting at least 15 drinks while each of them will drink one.

You're either going to get through about half of them and puke (our bodies are actually very good at doing this to keep you alive), or drink 30-45 drinks in a few hours and die of alcohol poisoning.

Don't die bro.

Asian flush
You might still impress them after 15 drinks compared to what they're used to. To be completely honest, you will likely surprise yourself with how much you can drink. I'm not sure how high the proof is on that wine (hopefully = or <40) but it's gonna come down to mind over matter.

Then again, I'm a Polak binge drinker with great blackout autopilot. I never remember how I survive any given night - I only know that I do.

go ahead and drink them under the table, it's your time to shine. Make the RVF proud

get a small trash can underneath the table and throw drinks in there.
that's what 'bar attendant girls' do when they work.

anyways, you will realize guys saying let's get fucked up and only drink several shots in states are pretty lame compared to those people.

In Asia, they do a lot of things over a liquor (making friendship & connection, making a business deal etc) Drinking outside work is very important.
If those people are important to you, take it like you are going to die. you will get mad respect and it will be well worth it. (you don't get shit if you impress the crowd in beer pong at parties in states)

I am a foreigner in Beijing, too - where does one find events like this?

Kidding, sort of...

Take advantage that the drinking culture there is awesome and slated in favor of alcoholics (like yours truly).

there is some good advice already here: eat plenty of food, things like sandwiches and drink water. so long as they don't make you take all 15 drinks in succession, you will be ok(space them out over the course of the evening, several hours)

Quote: (05-25-2013 02:56 AM)Sebastian Wrote:  

get a small trash can underneath the table and throw drinks in there.
that's what 'bar attendant girls' do when they work.

anyways, you will realize guys saying let's get fucked up and only drink several shots in states are pretty lame compared to those people.

In Asia, they do a lot of things over a liquor (making friendship & connection, making a business deal etc) Drinking outside work is very important.
If those people are important to you, take it like you are going to die. you will get mad respect and it will be well worth it. (you don't get shit if you impress the crowd in beer pong at parties in states)

This.

You should do as you feel and drink as much or as little as you want. Accept the drinks and take a swig, but toss the rest away (garbage, window, floor, pair of tits, whatever works) when you get the opportunity if you feel yourself slipping.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Yeah, just go empty it in the toilet, or bring a few flasks and syphon the whiskey for later.

Pop some vitamin B before drinking.

If they want to do shots, you are fucked.

Drink the alcohol and immediately take a sip of beer.

However, have the beer bottle empty and back wash the liquid into it.

Vomitting is an easy cop out too. Just go to the bathroom after drinking 8 drinks in succession and two finger eject.

I'd carry to small mouth wash and eye drops too. You can easily last if you do that.

Man...just do what you want. Ask yourself "what I want?" and do that.

If you don't want to drink, don't drink!

"I don't make the rules" is copout nonsense and you know it. You're a man for fuck's sake - make your own rules!

EVERY culture has its idiotic traditions... It's the same thing in Laos as your situation in China. You go to a party with the locals and they insist on filling you up with Beer Lao. At some point you just have to say no and smile and be firm about it. If they get "offended", it's none of your business.

You're supposed to trash your body and dull your awareness because of some mindless local tradition? Get out of the matrix man! And like Joseph said above, learn to *artfully* refuse.

Go hard or go home! Good luck !

15 drinks is not a lot for a seasoned consumer of adult beverages. I think I had 15 (ounces) last night and I'm waking up fine.

The key is pace. I can down 26-30 drinks in a time span of one night and feel the same all night. Pace is vital I your being offered drunks try to sip on them if they are not shots and then tell stories or shoot shit to delay the next one. In those spaces have a glass of water. The dense meal prior helps but I find the meal AFTER is more important. having a full stomach while pounding back drinks makes me feel gross, I prefer to drink with a normal sized meal like a pasta in me, nothing to crazy.

If your able to control the pace you will win. You can even offer your buddies drinks to down with you and playfully call them out on it since your drinking more than them. My guess I everybody is drunk nobody will notice you slowing things down and pounding back the water.

Don't mix Liqour types. This is a classic mistake people make when going hard. Drinks of all types from all people will kill you the next day with major hangover.

Eat that heavy fatty meal and drink some Gatorade before bed. You will wake up fine as you've given your body fuel and water to flush out the alcahol.