rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Alternatives to Whey Protein Powder

Anyone have any suggestions of an alternative for Whey for people who get digestive problems when taking it? Whey cause bloating for me most times I drink it. I still want to take a protein powder but am looking for alternatives.

-Don't want soy because of the whole estrogen effect.
-Can't get hemp protein here, and in any event its texture is vile. Like drinking sand mixed in water.
-Anyone have experience with casein? Is it less likely to cause bloating?
-Any other suggestions.

Thanks

I take both whey and casein. Casein tends to bloat me more than whey though.. What whey proteins have you tried? I used to use the ON whey but used to bloat so I switched over to Dymatize and feel like I'm drinking water (good for me).

Quote: (04-23-2013 01:00 PM)juice Wrote:  

I take both whey and casein. Casein tends to bloat me more than whey though.. What whey proteins have you tried? I used to use the ON whey but used to bloat so I switched over to Dymatize and feel like I'm drinking water (good for me).

Just a local mega-brand. Equivalent of GNC Nutrition in the states, I think. The thing is it claims to have added enzymes that deal with the problem, But clearly hasn't worked for me.

egg protein powder ?

I stick with whey(even with a little bloating), but do a Google search on rice protein powder. No bloating or anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_protein

Edit: It's not ridiculously overpriced like the hemp shit either.

I like the cytosport 100% whey from costco. Good stuff.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

pasteurized egg whites. I still use casein before bed but I got sick and tired of whey and while I was using a good quality isolate so bloating was minimal I find my body handles the egg whites better, haven't bothered with whey since I made the switch. The adjustment period with the horrid egg farts is unbearable but once you get past that it's cake...I dont feel nearly so waterlogged and thick since I dropped whey.

Hemp Protein + some quality whey has delivered optimal results for me.

Make sure you get flavored hemp protein and read the reviews. Certain hemp proteins can be very gritty.

There are many different types of whey. Isolate, hydrolyzed, cold filtration, etc. Some are more expensive than others. You may be fine with a higher quality whey, you may not. Like others mentioned, there is egg and casein, there are also plenty of vegan protein powders out there. Liquid egg whites are also a good option, if I remember they end up being a little more expensive though.

Just crack a few eggs into your smoothie. It gives it a frothie texture, its cheaper and less processed. You can't go wrong with real food.

Quote: (04-23-2013 12:22 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Anyone have any suggestions of an alternative for Whey for people who get digestive problems when taking it? Whey cause bloating for me most times I drink it. I still want to take a protein powder but am looking for alternatives.

-Can't get hemp protein here, and in any event its texture is vile. Like drinking sand mixed in water.
-Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Eat Yoghurt everyday for 2-3 weeks and that bloating should go away or be minimized.

Or

Go for Egg protein powder and this won't give you the bloating like Whey.

Or

Just eat real food. A can of tuna will give you the same hit of protein as a shake.

MuscleMeds makes a beef protein powder called Carnivor. I never tried it but it might be worth looking into and its more concentrated than whey Isolate

Pasteurised liquid egg whites.

IN australia, you find them near the frozen pastry section

Around $6 a litre (quart) for this

[Image: 224792.jpg]

Shit has become popular enough for a 'premium' product , and the high protein form, where they add tri-ethyl citrate, xanthan gum Citric acid.

...at around $8 a litre

[Image: 383329.jpg]

I stick with the first one.

What I've read about it though, you ingest more protein from cooking it, rather than drinking it in liquid form (liquid is a different state to raw)

-Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Try whey protein isolate instead.

I take Pepto Pro post workout, tuna and chicken and casein before bed. Casein has been great for my gains, the slow release whilst sleeping has been brilliant.

Pepto pro is supposedly already digested protein so the hit after workout is great.

I used to use Isolate before a lot, it never bloated me to be honest and didnt give me digestive problems. It had 0% fat, 0% sugars, 0% Carbs. I was using one called Dymatize ISO 100

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Quote: (04-24-2013 01:14 AM)Every10GivesMeA10 Wrote:  

-Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Try whey protein isolate instead.

Good point. There are different lactate chains present in the two, Isolate is indeed easier to digest.

Thanks for all the info.

I think I'm going to have a look at casein and egg whites when at the chemist tomorrow, though I think they are both going to be expensive in this country.

I got the whey I use now specifically because it has added lactase as part of the formulation, but it hasn't really helped. The ingredients label lists whey concentrate, isolate and hydrolysate. No mention of ratios.

Also may consider another blend that includes all manner of things including whey, soy and a 100 other things since I had no issues with it before. Am just concerned about the soy (estrogen issues) and that it has mega carbs since I am slowing sown my weight gain now.

It's a little pricey but I use this:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPYnWYXmHJYIIdmaW0AF9...MkTScRKXsw]

If I couldn't afford it, I would just eat more eggs, fish, chicken, beef, beans, etc.

Quote: (04-24-2013 12:08 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

It's a little pricey but I use this:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPYnWYXmHJYIIdmaW0AF9...MkTScRKXsw]

If I couldn't afford it, I would just eat more eggs, fish, chicken, beef, beans, etc.

I know the Garden if Life brand from a while back. They have quite a few good products. Very much doubt they are available here though.

Brands like GoL, and others that cater to the "Raw Food" market always have very good formulations that include enzymes and probiotics, which many others exclude.

Will look for this when I am travelling again.

You may be able to order online..?

Quote: (04-24-2013 04:20 AM)bojangles Wrote:  

I take Pepto Pro post workout, tuna and chicken and casein before bed. Casein has been great for my gains, the slow release whilst sleeping has been brilliant.

Pepto pro is supposedly already digested protein so the hit after workout is great.

I used to use Isolate before a lot, it never bloated me to be honest and didnt give me digestive problems. It had 0% fat, 0% sugars, 0% Carbs. I was using one called Dymatize ISO 100

Dymatize ISO 100
Just ordered a 5lb tub of this... has great reviews

Anyone wanna tell me what the best hemp protein is... I will order some of that to

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Tins of sardines. Cheaper, and contain fuck loads of micronutrients.

Not to everybody's taste though...

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

Humapro? Just started on this thing. Apparently 25g of protein per serving, no calories. I got the pill form.

[Image: attachment.jpg11425]   

Try Jay Robbs Whey Protein, it is sweetened by Stevia, which is actually just as sweet as sugar, without affecting your blood sugar levels. Theres also no added dairy, soy, wheat, or sucralose/aspartame. All ingredients are natural and organic.As a result, it is a bit pricey though since there is no artificial sweeteners or anything like that in it, but well worth it. On top of all that is has about 25 g of protein.

Can you get raw goats milk?

I like to boil 12 eggs and just eat the whites but that can get expensive.

I've also thrown a can of tuna in the blender before.