rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Anyone doing Quinoa?

If so, have you found it beneficial and how do you use it (recipes).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/juliewilcox/...he-future/

http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=0A58EF...72153B706D

http://www.doctoroz.com/search?q1=quinoa...tion&sort=

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Just cook it like rice and substitute for it where ever you would eat rice. Goes well with Chinese, Indian, Thai food etc.

Cheapest place to buy quinoa is costco. It's anywhere between $6.99 to $9.99 for a truroots bag.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I love it. I use it just like rice.

I like to add it to soups and stews.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Yup. Put it inside lavash wraps too with chicken and salad mix

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I've been using quinoa as a substitute for rice for about 9 months now. Two weeks ago I bought some quinoa flour at Jimbos and used it as a partial or full substitute on a couple of recipes: pancakes and banana bread. Both tasted great.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Is quinoa Paleo friendly? Did it grow in the lower Paleolithic era? Seriously, I'm freaking the fuck out if it's not Paleo friendly. If Tim Ferris finds out I cheated on the diet, he might take me off his email list.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Quote: (03-31-2013 09:39 AM)ManAbout Wrote:  

Cheapest place to buy quinoa is costco. It's anywhere between $6.99 to $9.99 for a truroots bag.

I can confirm this. Used to buy it at Sprouts/Henrys. Not only is it cheaper at costco, it's also a lot cleaner. The quinoa at Sprouts had a lot of flakes and black seeds/rocks.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I use it in place of pasta, rice or macaroni. Lowers cholesterol, high fiber and relatively high protein content which is ideal for a bodybuilding meal !

I used to go to some local overpriced organic food store until i found this ... http://www.amazon.com/truRoots-Organic-Q...B002BWS1OM . 4 lbs bag , organic and very well cleaned unlike most other brands. Can't beat the price either.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I'm enjoying this more than rice. A lot lighter on the belly, which is especially good for eating later in the day. The price at Costco wasn't bad.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Quote: (04-14-2013 08:13 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

I'm enjoying this more than rice. A lot lighter on the belly, which is especially good for eating later in the day.

"Lighter on the belly"!

Exactly.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Cook it with salsa. Then add more salsa or tomatoes when done. Very good and very easy. The texture changes depending how much water cook it with, I like to use as little water as possible. I don't like it when it's all soft and fluffy.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I bought 25 pounds in bulk from Nuts.com ended up being about $3 per pound incl shipping. One of the best investments I've made - not just financially but it has saved a ton of time. Everytime I need more I put it in the rice cooker, nice to be able to walk away and not worry if I let it go over a few minutes.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

[Image: attachment.jpg16488]   

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I love it. One of my favorite recipes is just adding dried cranberries (or raisins), some raw cashews, and whatever fresh herb I want to add. I make a batch and then eat it cold as a quick snack during the week.

Try making a cold vegetable dish with barley, too.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I need to stock back up so I gotta sniff around for some good prices. The Bulk Barn near me has it fairly expensive as it's organic, I'm not to concerned about organic for a legit super food like quinoa. I've seen 2lb bags for 7 bucks, it's pricy stuff but you forget a little goes a long way. My issue is that when I get a bag I'll eat it everyday until it's gone.

I like cooking it in chicken broth and then adding cranberries, sage, sunflower seeds or almonds, roasted lemon, and roasted garlic.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Crazy, I am interested in quinoa and stumbled across this article. Basically it is saying the demand for quinoa is hurting poor people who count on it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...uth-quinoa

Heading

Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa?
Ethical consumers should be aware poor Bolivians can no longer afford their staple grain, due to western demand raising prices

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I just started cooking with it this week. Provides more nutrition-per-calorie than just a heap of white rice. Mix it in with brown rice (preferably husk on), throw in a can of mixed vegetables, and you have a quick and easy nutrition dense meal.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I like to prepare quinoa in a rice cooker using a mixture of white, red and black varieties. For cooking liquid I'll use a mixture of water, almond milk and a large dab of coconut cream - or a shot of thick coconut milk. It's roughly a 2:1 ratio of liquid to quinoa.

When it's ready I'll sprinkle it with cinnamon, allspice, a dash of turbinado sugar, pink Himalayan salt and pan roasted cashews. Fresh hemp seeds and sesame seeds are another excellent addition. Delicious!

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” - Hippocrates.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Quinoa is good cold and used in salads. I like to make taboulleh with quinoa instead of bulgur wheat, and add baby kale in addition to the herbs. This is a super healthy salad that tastes great (and one of the best sellers where I work). Here's a rough recipe off the top of my head:

Should serve 2-4 depending on appetite:

2 C cooked quinoa
2 C chopped baby kale
1/2 C chopped mint
1/2 C chopped parsley
2 T sliced scallions
1/2 C sliced cherry tomatoes
1/2 C diced cucumber
1/2 C diced red bell pepper
juice of half a lemon (may need more)
2 T good quality olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Toss everything together and serve. Great with some sliced avocado on top

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Anyone doing Quinoa?

[Image: attachment.jpg17044]   

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Quinoa is delicious, but I've never thought of it as something you "do".

Anyone doing Quinoa?

I mix it with black beans. It's pretty good with salmon too.

"What's the difference between us.
We can start at the penis.
Or scream I just don't give a fuck and see who really means it."
- Marshall Bruce Mathers III

Anyone doing Quinoa?

[Image: attachment.jpg17098]   

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/magazi...chier.html

Not long ago, quinoa was as mysterious as dark matter. Few could even pronounce the name of this ancient, disk-shaped “super grain” from the Andes, mistakenly calling it kwih-NO-ah (it’s KEEN-wah). It tasted a little strange, home cooks didn’t know what to do with it and only vegan restaurants put it on menus.

Now quinoa is everywhere, and seemingly everyone knows everything about it. You probably recognize its grassy flavor and faintly crunchy texture. If I told you that it’s not a grain at all, but rather a chenopod related to spinach and beets, you probably wouldn’t be surprised. And perhaps you know that worldwide demand for quinoa has become so high that many of those who live in the regions of Bolivia where the crop is grown can no longer afford to buy it.

Yet we still don’t explore quinoa’s full potential, probably because when it’s simmered until fluffy and just tender, quinoa is an admirable base for a salad or a pilaf. But real rewards await those who push it a bit. For example, quinoa makes a delicious risotto. Cook it long enough, and its starches begin to release; cook it even further, and you can form the quinoa into cakes for pan-frying, without adding bread crumbs or eggs (though you should still handle them gently).

My favorite new quinoa obsession is transforming it into crunchy crumbs. You boil it, spread the tender grains on a rimmed baking sheet, toss them with seasonings and roast until crackling and crisp. Sprinkle them on salads, stir-fry dishes, pastas or anything else you might be inclined to finish with toasted bread crumbs or chopped nuts. Little about quinoa may surprise us these days, but to me this is nearly revolutionary.

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Quinoa and brown rice sushi is another option:

[Image: 0107F_goodbitesushi30p.jpg]

Anyone doing Quinoa?

Quinoa burritos

Quinoa
Salsa
Mushrooms
Eggplant
Monterey jack cheese
Sundried tomatoes
Tortilla wrap

Ingredient amount depends on size of the batch.

In a rice cooker, cook quinoa until it's ready to eat.

Cut up the vegetables and cheese into small sizes. In a pan, heat up olive oil. Fry the vegetables. After they're fried, add quinoa and salsa. Add a spoonful or two more of olive oil. The whole time, keep mixing the entire batch.

When everything looks about ready, add the monterey jack cheese and stir it all together.

Serve on a wheat tortilla.

I used this recipe for a couple weeks last winter and became fit and healthy very quickly (coupled with outdoor running, plus fruit in the evening and morning, with regular walking).

Quinoa is fantastic.