rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting hate for hitting the gym

The other night, my roomy's gf tried to make fun of my eating habits and my protein consumption. Maybe it's a German thing, but do you guys from time to time get hate for hitting the gym hard, using protein powder, etc.?
Just wondering, since in the US the gym and supplement culture seems to be more mainstream.

P.S. I'm not not some roided-up meathead, just lean and in shape.

why do you give a fuck? you couldn't come up with a appropriate mocking response, i guess that's why you are asking.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

People like to ostracise anything that deviates from the norm. Just take a comment like that as a compliment because that's when you know you're getting results. The culture in the US has become a bit more accepted, but just only that. Most of the population here is still overweight.

Reppin the Jersey Shore.

No man, I dont care about the comment. I'm just curious whether this a cultural thing or not. I stopped caring about girls' opinions a long time ago...

I think its cultural. German men don't seem to lift or do any gym work much, in fact it may be more common in the Turks. In America, even the women take protein powder (true story).

Quote: (03-24-2013 04:45 PM)augen sehen Wrote:  

In America, even the women take protein powder (true story).

Really? That's news to me.

Reppin the Jersey Shore.

When I went to Germany for a semester, I could tell that I was in a German fitness studio because the bench press had a lot less weight on it (I never saw anyone benching over 150 lbs, not once), there was no deadlifting platform, and there wasn't a single squat rack.

There were, however, still the legions of dipshits who do nothing but arm curls and tricep extensions, for whatever reason. I threw around more weight in 15 minutes than most of them did the entire hour, and I'm pretty small compared to the serious meatheads.

Chalk it up to "swolestation". I didn't find much of a gym culture in Germany, most people seemed to think that being in shape meant cardiovascular fitness and leanness.

I think the US supplement culture was made mainstream by the sheer amount of artificial crap and processed foods we regularly put into our bodies as it is. I know some women who take protein shakes as a meal replacement.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Lolll I love people like that.

Just tell her you're really insecure about being big and that she should stop making fun of you.

Sometimes I even go into a whole spiel where I talk about how I'm really scared that one day I'll just flex too hard and break whatever shirt I'm wearing. Extra laughs just because I'm far from big hahaha.

Bottom line: just laugh it off like the stupid shit-test that it is.

RVF Fearless Coindogger Crew

You should have looked at her dead serious and been like, "do you like me?"

Her: <bs shit test >
You: thanks, glad you like it.

Fuck her. And then as soon as you shoot one across her grill, say "that's what all the protein is for."

What is your roommate like? If he's out of shape, this is probably here way of rationalizing why she's with a less attractive dude.

I'd say it's western culture rather than something specific to Germany. I've had people tell me in the US I won't get all the energy I need if I only had a starter (said starter consisting of a gigantic caesar salad).

You'll know you're in good shape when the gay rumors start. A few years back I dropped 35 pounds and muscled up after a pretty harsh midwestern winter. It only took me 2 months because I already knew what to do, and I got off my ass and did it. First the questions were asked behind my back "is he sick"? Like the old Chris Rock joke, "white people lose weight and they get told that they look good, a brother loses weight and rumor gets started". Then because I was 30, unmarried, with no baby momma's then I must be gay. And that's only because I never flirted with the land whales in our office. As a alarm tech I was meeting women on jobs every other day. When people make negative comments about your fitness and you don't look like a muscle head they're hating on you for their own reason. Take the time to analyze why and fuck with them at every opportunity.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

They hate on it for ten minutes, but then they get drunk and end up giving me a blowjob....

And I'm not kidding...

I get it all the time, and I'm in Canada. Guys and girls, both make comments...I'm pretty anal about my eating, so if I'm feeling even a little hungry I'll grab something healthy, a protein shake, nuts, protein bar and I usually get something like you're already in great shape why are you so obsessed with what you're eating and getting food in all the time...or if I make plans with friends to meet them out and it's workout day I'll usually just meet them after my workout so if they're meeting at 9 or something I'll show up around 10, which still gives me most of the evening out with them or with girls i'll schedule dates for after my workouts...get a lot of comments about being obsessed...but they look at being fit and in shape as something that once you have it, it's yours for life, they don't get you have to work at it. They just don't like it cause it shows how weak willed they are. They'll slack on their lifting and eating and expect you to do the same so they don't feel bad about themselves and when you don't the comments come out.

Are you saying there are no buff dudes in Germany? No wonder those army boys tear up alot of girls over there, damn!

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

At my old job i used to get stupid comments about eating eggs. Saying dumb shit like "you're gonna have a heart attack or stroke from eating so many eggs each day." For the record i was eating 6 hard boiled eggs and 1 avocado for breakfast a day.

This type of shit came from the older ladies who are obviously 30+ pounds overweight eating the bagels and cream cheese with their Starbucks coffee.
They'd also make comments about how skinny i am and that i need to eat more etc. (I'm 6'3 @ 185~ with 5% body fat.)
The hate for my food choices at work got so out of hand that HR called me down there because they're worried about my eating habits. I told the HR fag (flamboyantly gay guy) out of all the staff in this building I'm am the person he should be least concerned about. I asked him how many of the women are overweight or obese and that he should start with them if we are discussing peoples eating habits...

Strangely they never bothered me again about my healthy eating habits.

Quote: (03-24-2013 04:20 PM)BoiBoi Wrote:  

The other night, my roomy's gf tried to make fun of my eating habits and my protein consumption. Maybe it's a German thing, but do you guys from time to time get hate for hitting the gym hard, using protein powder, etc.?
Just wondering, since in the US the gym and supplement culture seems to be more mainstream.

P.S. I'm not not some roided-up meathead, just lean and in shape.

This thread should be retitled what to do when you get s complement. The response is always the same.

Thank you (genuine sincere tone not cocky like you're taking a defensive position).

You should have yelled " You mirin? Yeah, you mirin!"

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

"If I didn't eat like this, I'd look like you".

The implication that they look like shit should be obvious. Replace eat with lift depending on the flavor of their hate.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Here is my input... Whenever you try and better yourself it is rare to find people who genuinely support you.

A lot of people look at your initiative and positive action as a THREAT to their MEDIOCRE way of life. She gets the feeling of "well damn, his commitment to physical fitness make me feel bad about my lazy ass staying at home on the couch". Essentially it threatens their egos. This is not just in terms of fitness but can apply to any number of things:

* Moving abroad
* Getting a better job
* Quitting drinking
* Eating better

Point is, align yourself with the few positive people you can find and fuck the rest.

Peace

I get it here from girls. "Oh you're not one of those guys that lives on protein shakes are you?" and all that.

Just say to her "well I know where you get your proteins from" Personally I wouldn`t give a fuck! I work out to maximize my potential and feel better about myself. Some like it, some don`t.

Sounds like she likes you and is trying to get you to notice her.

Quote: (03-24-2013 06:12 PM)TheMan Wrote:  

Her: <bs shit test >
You: thanks, glad you like it.

This is good.

Another one I like:

Girl: [Some comment about your size/protein consumption]
You: Mmhmm. So what is it about muscular guys you like so much?