rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Your opinion on video games?

Most of us have been exposed to video games throughout the years. I myself, was exposed to it around my late childhood, and it was the best escape for me or many years. Unfortunately in high school I was scared to be social, and missed on a lot of chances, so I just turned to video games. Although it wasn't as extreme as it may seem, I still played high school sports and was rather active.

Now in university, my social side has expanded in a hundred ways. I go out much more often now. And video games is something I play to get some alone time. I am now in touch with both my extrovert and introvert side, not just one.

Video games are something I play for an hour every few days, or a bit longer on a weekend afternoon.

Video games seem to have this negative stigma, associated with extreme unsocialness, but that is only the extreme side of it. For me, it could have gotten that way, but I chose not to, there were other desires I had to act on; women.

What about you guys?

I enjoy them, I don't play them often these days, an hour every week or two. Mostly F1 as I've not bought any other games for over a year.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Dupe:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-8978.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18024.html

I'll bite. They can definitely enable shitty lifestyle choices and being a loser, but like really good novels, I've had a lot of joy, happiness, and quality escapism out of a handful of great video games. Even so it's almost always time better spent doing something else.

Quote: (03-14-2013 09:24 AM)Hades Wrote:  

I'll bite. They can definitely enable shitty lifestyle choices and being a loser, but like really good novels, I've had a lot of joy, happiness, and quality escapism out of a handful of great video games. Even so it's almost always time better spent doing something else.

I am on my spring break portion of the school schedule. For the past three days I have had nothing to do. I tried to do something not intellectual or creative and loaded up an old school SNES emulator. I played about five different games, even made some headway into Final Fantasy IV, but eventually ditched the emulator and now am picking up novels, political philosophy, current events, game material, etc during my down time.

I think I've out grown them. The newer games are just big budget, graphics over everything, lol@gameplay, mechanics, and soundtrack, cash cows for stock holders and the old games, though much better games, are not fun anymore. I don't have that childhood paradigm I used to have playing SNES/PSX.

I grew up with video games and like going on a game binge on occasion. No more than a 2-3 times a year though. I'll write off a weekend and finish a game.

Sometimes a couple of hours of CoD or some other multiplayer game when hanging out with a childhood friend if we're not in the mood for going out.

Anything more than that is probably a waste of time.

But I'm excited that they're doing a remake of the game that gave me the first glimpse into the mind of a player at age 10: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leis...come-again

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

I was a video game nerd throughout much of my childhood and teenage years. More wasted time than I care to think about, but, like most things, I think playing video games moderately is perfectly acceptable.

I hardly ever game anymore other than plugging in the X-Box for a few rounds of Halo with friends, or playing Pac-Man on Game Boy.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

If the only interesting thing in your life are video games, and you can't confidently hone that, then it leads to a lot of loneliness.

However, I do love my new games, and I enjoy the slight-escape they can give you in the moment. However, unlike my youth, I barely play them for more than a couple hours here and there.

My cousin who was the first gentleman to give me a glimpse into "game," is also the biggest Final Fantasy nerd you'd ever meet, but because he confidently carries that with him, and makes it an aspect to his life, not the focus, he's able to pull it off.

I think a lot of gentlemen in pick up however have a bitterness to video games because before talking to women they were only playing video games, so they hold video games as the reason they wasted time and never look back. I think that's kinda lame, since there is some artistic and recreational merit to video games that can't be found in other types of media, but to each their own I guess.

A humble gentleman's blog about pussy, cigars, and game.

LATEST POST:
The Problem With Nightclubs

Also check out my blog for cigar discussion and reviews.

Quote: (03-14-2013 10:47 AM)RouteBackwards Wrote:  

If the only interesting thing in your life are video games, and you can't confidently hone that, then it leads to a lot of loneliness.

However, I do love my new games, and I enjoy the slight-escape they can give you in the moment. However, unlike my youth, I barely play them for more than a couple hours here and there.

My cousin who was the first gentleman to give me a glimpse into "game," is also the biggest Final Fantasy nerd you'd ever meet, but because he confidently carries that with him, and makes it an aspect to his life, not the focus, he's able to pull it off.

I think a lot of gentlemen in pick up however have a bitterness to video games because before talking to women they were only playing video games, so they hold video games as the reason they wasted time and never look back. I think that's kinda lame, since there is some artistic and recreational merit to video games that can't be found in other types of media, but to each their own I guess.

I think this sums it up pretty well.

Playing them sparingly throughout day to day life, with the occasional night you devote to them instead of going out I think is absolutely fine, and something I am happy to do.

For instance, in the past I had a week where I went out Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night, where Wednesday was mostly casual night out and Thu Fri were club nights. By the time Saturday came around, I could have gone out again to have a good time out, but I chose to stay in and catch up on a game I hadn't played in a while. Didn't regret that at all. Now to do the opposite.. Stay in on those nights and only go out the Saturday, that is where I feel you have to draw the line for yourself and admit you are just wasting your own time.

I occasionally play some old arcade game on MAME

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

It's a pleasure box.

Good or bad? Use your own discretion. Make no mistake: it's exactly what all those scifi movies warned us about.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

I played a lot of video games when I was young, but I totally stopped around the time I started college. I don't think they're bad for young kids to stay busy and stay out of trouble, but once you're an adult there are much better things you can be doing like working out, making money, slamming pussy, educating yourself, etc.

Sitting around on the couch with a piece of plastic in your hands all the time isn't a great way to spend your life.

I think the stigma against videogames is just a holdover from an era when being a geek was still thought of as a bad thing. There was a time when using the internet was associated with introversion and so on as well. Obviously, if you play videogames all the time, that's not healthy, but you could say that about anything.

I play Skyrim once a week and that's it. Don't have time for some hardcore gaming because of work, gf, gym and friends. Played Borderlands 2 for some time three months ago with three bros but got bored quickly.

Serious gaming IS a sign of loserness. When I heard someone talk about WoW, Counter Strike and likes, it's almost always the lonely beta, or a loud paper alpha who has a lot of friends playing with him so he feels social.

Quote: (03-15-2013 05:45 AM)funkyzeit Wrote:  

I play Skyrim once a week and that's it. Don't have time for some hardcore gaming because of work, gf, gym and friends. Played Borderlands 2 for some time three months ago with three bros but got bored quickly.

Serious gaming IS a sign of loserness. When I heard someone talk about WoW, Counter Strike and likes, it's almost always the lonely beta, or a loud paper alpha who has a lot of friends playing with him so he feels social.

This is pretty much how I feel, I played videogames a lot as a kid but after that the appeal wasn't the same. With work, school, gym,chicks etc its hard to dedicate time to finish a serious game. I'll still pick up a controller occasionally but its usually a pick up and go session.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

I play video games but not many. Most of them have shitty plots which is what I hate. I want epic stories.

However, I think that a few newer games are amazing in terms of serious stories. I think that this is a good trend rising in the industry.

I recommend that everyone play Spec Ops: The Line. It is amazing writing at its finest. The best I've seen in a video game.

i havent played been into gaming since i was 15. i played call of duty with my young cousin (first video game in maybe 5 years) over the holidays and lost interest after about 5 minutes. its funny because as a kid i loved games now i can hardly think of anything less i enjoy doing with my free time.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

I think it really depends on the game. MMORPG's like World of Warcraft where you are invested in a character or online profile rarely become activities done in moderation...I had a friend who got into WoW in high school (incidentally after watching the South Park episode and making fun of it), skipped classes in college to go on raids with his guild, quit, then relapsed when the next expansion came out. Basically became a full-time commitment and addiction. Needless to say his academics suffered greatly (but I think he's doing all right now). I used to play Smash Bros with my roommates on end in college, and I don't play it much anymore, but the skills stay with you and it's always nice to kick some ass when you get together with your friends every now and then.

Rock Band can be fun. Bouncing lizards back to the crib to sing karaoke has resulted in bangs.

I grew up on videogames but todays games are dumbed down shit and Im not really interested. I havent even played anything in years because I keep getting disappointed by new games.
However recently I discovered a website that sells oldschool games DRM free and really cheap. So I got back into playing some of these awesome oldschool RPGs like Fallout, Planescape, Baldurs Gate. These games are awesome!

Im also very excited about some kickstarter projects like Project Eternity, the new Shadowrun and stuff like that. And I will of course play the new GTA and Watch Dogs when they come out but thats propably gonna be the only interesting titles to come out this year. Recently a new God of War came out and even that looks like shit and I cant even get myself to give it a try. I couldnt care less if other ppl see me as a huge nerd and will happily discuss video games in social settings with fellow gamers. I refuse to give up shit because it makes me look less than cool or anything.

Don't have one.

I play simple "video games" on my phone, but I don't have a console anymore. I think games can be a useful diversion. I play games on my phone when I am on a plane or waiting somewhere where I have to sit down.

I also think as phones get bigger & more powerful gaming will get better on phones, so I wouldn't categorically call them bad or unnecessary. They do provide an entertaining way to pass the time.

If play video games and you are an adult man who isn't swimming in pussy, you are doing it wrong.

Quote: (03-16-2013 05:34 AM)soup Wrote:  

If play video games and you are an adult man who isn't swimming in pussy, you are doing it wrong.

Tons of dudes play video games, even celebrities who get tons of snatch. I think that it is a problem only if you play so much that you stay in at night instead of go out and meet women.

Waste of time.