rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should I move to Chicago or NYC this summer? 26 y/o, from UK

Hi all,

I'm 26 (today actually!), from the UK and have been doing a lot of travelling around the world in the last two years.

I lived in Chicago last summer for 4 months and loved it. Made some good friends, got a few nice notches etc.

I had planned on going back and have a flight booked there for April 2nd.

I am now thinking maybe I should roll the dice again and try NYC (Brooklyn) instead.

I just spent a weekend in London and had such an amazing time. I love Chicago but there is so much going on in a place like London and it's so international, I know NYC to be the same.

Still, part of me thinks Chi has all you could need really anyways.

I understand it will be more pricey living in NYC, but it's not thaaat bigger difference is it really?

Any opinions?

What would you do in my shoes?

Any feedback, much appreciated. This forum never fails to deliver something of value on these sort of things.

Oh btw, not a trust fund kid - I work online running two SMEs.

Go to NYC.

You have already been to Chicago.

What, are you going to go thru life never having been to NYC?

I've yet to make it up to Chicago, but I've heard good things. I've also heard not so good things like it not even being as good at ATL (I cannot fathom how that could be true).

I lived just outside of NYC for a while and also spent a summer in London and both are, as you know, international cities with comps like Tokyo and Moscow, not Chicago. I know that for me in both London and NYC a night out can be an epic journey where you never know who you will meet, what you will see, or where you will end up. I'm not so sure that Chicago will give you that same feeling of endless adventure.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Quote: (03-11-2013 11:33 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

I've yet to make it up to Chicago, but I've heard good things. I've also heard not so good things like it not even being as good at ATL (I cannot fathom how that could be true).

I lived just outside of NYC for a while and also spent a summer in London and both are, as you know, international cities with comps like Tokyo and Moscow, not Chicago. I know that for me both London and NYC a night out can be an epic journey where you never know who you will meet, what you will see, or where you will end up. I'm not so sure that Chicago will give you that same feeling of endless adventure.

Exact same feelings about NYC , Die hard NYC fan here .......

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Quote: (03-11-2013 11:33 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

I know that for me in both London and NYC a night out can be an epic journey where you never know who you will meet, what you will see, or where you will end up. I'm not so sure that Chicago will give you that same feeling of endless adventure.

Damn, you have really hit the nail on the head there. That is the difference.

How much would I need to live in Brooklyn, decently? $4k after tax okay?

Quote: (03-11-2013 11:32 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I went when I was 17 haha.

100% I will live in NYC at one point in the next five years. It's just a matter of when to do it...

Quote: (03-11-2013 11:38 AM)Jbk Wrote:  

Quote: (03-11-2013 11:32 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I went when I was 17 haha.

100% I will live in NYC at one point in the next five years. It's just a matter of when to do it...

You are going for 4 months right?

Go to NYC.

If you hate it, move to Chicago.

Problem solved.

A pretty standard night out in NYC can be $200 so easily. Rent is about $1600 just to get you in a 2br in Manhattan, $2k+ for 1br.

So it all really just depends on your lifestyle.

Are you chasing hipster chicks or models? Do you drink Ketel One or PBR?

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

My vote goes to NYC. Hands down. Never been to Chicago, but I had a relative that lived up there for work and hated it compared to the ATL.

Quote: (03-11-2013 11:42 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

A pretty standard night out in NYC can be $200 so easily. Rent is about $1600 just to get you in a 2br in Manhattan, $2k+ for 1br.

Hipster chicks and I would want to live in Brooklyn so I believe those two factors bring down costs.

I like dive bars and good pubs really.

I understand that NYC and London are very similar for costs, options etc and I know you I could have a great time with $3-4k pm in London so must be the same with NYC.

Quote: (03-11-2013 12:01 PM)Jbk Wrote:  

Hipster chicks and I would want to live in Brooklyn so I believe those two factors bring down costs.

I understand that NYC and London are very similar for costs, options etc and I know you I could have a great time with $3-4k pm in London so must be the same with NYC.

$4k after tax is plenty for what you want to do.

Quote: (03-11-2013 12:08 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (03-11-2013 12:01 PM)Jbk Wrote:  

$4k after tax is plenty for what you want to do.

Your money will go further for sure in Chicago.

But the point remains, you are 26. You should explore.

You are 26, follow the money.

Ie: which spot is going I give you better money making opportunities.

Rest is futile, you can get laid in both cities no problem.

I met a Colombian player around Roosevelt and 76th that said he could teach me to live it up for around $110 per day. I imagine that was living down that way with roommates, and not drinking too much. The way I party, I see dropping $5K monthly. Ouch.

NYC is the center of the world. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

Team Nachos

The location I am in doesn't affect how much I can make as it is all online.

What are some good areas in BK would you say? I have heard Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg...?

I wonder, will it be as easy to meet people as it was in Chi? People are dead friendly there!

Thanks for all the good advice. Really keen to do it now!

Quote: (03-11-2013 12:48 PM)Jbk Wrote:  

The location I am in doesn't affect how much I can make as it is all online.

What are some good areas in BK would you say? I have heard Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg...?

I wonder, will it be as easy to meet people as it was in Chi? People are dead friendly there!

Thanks for all the good advice. Really keen to do it now!

Chicago = more friendly
New York = more one night stands and fast paced hookups

Are you stuck to staying in the USA? If not I think you're insane for coming here instead of going to SA/SEA/EE.

If you are stuck in USAand money doesn't matter. Then it's just a personal decision. Cost in NYC much higher but adventure level is through the roof.

IMHO would choose Chicago, but you're getting a biased opinion as I am a firm believer in stacking loads of cash to get F*** you money as fast as possible.

Quote: (03-11-2013 01:24 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

Are you stuck to staying in the USA? If not I think you're insane for coming here instead of going to SA/SEA/EE.

Why?

Were is he going to get the same experience as NYC in SA/SEA/EE?

Because of this:

Quote:Quote:

you're getting a biased opinion as I am a firm believer in stacking loads of cash to get F*** you money as fast as possible.

Been to SEA loads. It's great fun, but you do pay for what you get in life and there is no way BKK etc compares to NYC, London, Berlin etc

The irony is that in Moscow there are 4 places that interest them in the USA:

1: NYC

2. Hollywood

3. Miami

4. Vegas

Honorable mentions Silicon Valley if into tech, Houston if into Oil Biz.

ATL, CHI, BOS and the rest of the USA might as well be Siberia to them.

The NY Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov founded a tongue in cheek RU expat mag in NYC called SNOB.

Yes there are enough RU expats in NYC to support a high end magazine targeting their demographic.

Irony is there are as many or more RU/UA/EE lasses in NYC as there are in London or Zurich and NO VAT in the USA.

NYC has all the top designers, discount fashion shopping and knockoffs a proper EU/EE/UK Fashionista could want with NO 20% VAT!

In NYC the SA, SEA, EE talent all comes to you as a major world center of style, fashion, arts, media, UN diplomacy and finance - worth considering and the new NY Nets Arena is at 620 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, US, 11217 | (212) 359-6387 | http://www.barclayscenter.com/

So hows that for a vote for Brooklyn... Plus everyone in NYC and the entire region running Airbnb game to help pay the rent/mortgage/property taxes so check out Airbnb.com - many offer monthly rates and you can snag a weekend private bang pad in Manhattan now and then for better logistics and keeping your base of operations under the radar till you weed out the NYC bipolar super freaks from the repeat bangables you might want to keep in your orbit.

Chicago is a great town but nothing beats NYC if you can afford it.

Do NY, on long weekends you can check out Boston, Phili, DC, etc all on a cheap flight or bus. Cant do that here in Chicago.

So, I've emailed a few places. Seems like only about 10% of places accept dogs, which I have.

I think I can share a 2br with a 23 year old girl who seems pretty cool in Stuyvesant Town, East Village for $1600 all inc. How does that sounds to you? Good area?