rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Revisiting the L.A Riots

While surfing the web I somehow found myself reading up on the L.A riots, and particularly about the Koreans in South Central. What a crazy period.

Korean Shop Owners Defending Stores

[Image: OoigTq6.jpg]
[Image: Lop91CX.jpg]
[Image: cKlHsEl.jpg]
[Image: bp9vocM.jpg]
These are Korean men who were trying to defend Koreatown during the 1992 LA riot. The article said:
"Among the most durable and dispiriting images of that era, however, were those of Korean merchants taking to their rooftops in the opening hours of the riots, arming themselves because they were convinced that they were alone, that the LAPD would not be there for them. They were right." (Source)
[Image: UFvnMtw.jpg]

Interesting how they set their cars up. Like defending against a zombie apocalypse.

[Image: whfXpCL.jpg]
[Image: WBW83QN.jpg]
[Image: oVeL4UI.jpg]
[Image: cWPHa19.jpg]
[Image: hisCpyK.jpg]

^ Crazy video

Could something similar happen again today? Would social media lessen or worsen the impact?

Revisiting the L.A Riots

I was in 10th grade when this happened. I didn't live near the hot spots but man what a crazy time. Of course it could happen again. There's a thin line between civilization and social collapse in these impoverished areas. It only takes a few individuals to plant the seed and then it becomes like an unstoppable mind virus that takes over or as you put it, a zombie apocalypse. Mania spreads out control. There's a whole branch of study dealing with crowd psychology and critical mass and how a few individuals can start a chain reaction that spreads exponentially. Crazy shit if you've ever looked into it.

I think it's less likely now, though not impossible. There was a lot of building anger leading up to the riots. The Latasha Harlins incident went a long way in setting the stage. This was also the zenith of the gangsta era.

Revisiting the L.A Riots

At the initial call that started what became the LA Riots there were a few cops on the scene. They called for reinforcements but instead were told to retreat. Because the LAPD thought it was wiser to pull back it mushroomed into a nightmare. They haven't made that mistake again.

If you can stomach a 700 page book about Rodney King and the LA Riots I recommend Official Negligence:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Negligenc...0813337259

Revisiting the L.A Riots

The reason many blacks began targeting Korean businesses at the time is because they were initially pissed that a Korean woman shot and killed a 15-year-old black girl named Latasha Harlins and only received probation as punishment. Based on what was seen on camera, Harlins never physically assaulted the woman.

The Rodney King verdict was the last straw and they vented their frustration.

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Quote: (02-16-2013 01:03 PM)painter Wrote:  

At the initial call that started what became the LA Riots there were a few cops on the scene. They called for reinforcements but instead were told to retreat. Because the LAPD thought it was wiser to pull back it mushroomed into a nightmare. They haven't made that mistake again.

Terrible mistake on the part of the LAPD.

Back in 2001 there were riots in Cincinnati for several days, including beatings, arson, vandalism and looting. I live near one of the neighborhoods in which shit was going down. Thankfully the neighborhood I live in is somewhat isolated, with few roads in and out.

The neighborhood police department wasn't going to take any shit from people that wanted to cause trouble, so they set up roadblocks at all roads coming into the neighborhood. One of these roadblocks was near a grocery store that my family sometimes visited. I remember the first night shit was going down, seeing police cars pull up to this intersection, reach into their trunks, and start pulling out Remington 870 shotguns and 12 gauge shells. They simply stood at the intersections, shotguns ready, with an attitude of "go ahead, come over here. We want to play."

Nothing in my neighborhood got fucked up, but it did happen in several neighborhoods closeby.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Were a lot of Koreans killed? thats unreal

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Quote: (02-16-2013 01:59 PM)Jules D. McMillan Wrote:  

The reason many blacks began targeting Korean businesses at the time is because they were initially pissed that a Korean woman shot and killed a 15-year-old black girl named Latasha Harlins and only received probation as punishment. Based on what was seen on camera, Harlins never physically assaulted the woman.

The Rodney King verdict was the last straw and they vented their frustration.

Yep.

Quote: (02-16-2013 02:09 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

Were a lot of Koreans killed? thats unreal

5 Koreans died out of the 53 total people killed during the riots. So I'd say they got off easy, comparatively.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morris...e-in-the-/

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Before Harlins was killed, plenty of Koreans were robbed at gunpoint and/or killed in convenience store holdups. That is the primary reason that Harlins' killer got off with probation.

But you also have to point some blame at the Koreans for opening business in that area. There's a reason why there were no supermarkets or any white-owned shops.

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Wow, they still had lots of white cops back then.

Revisiting the L.A Riots

misposted

Revisiting the L.A Riots

Quote: (02-16-2013 11:08 AM)Sonofzeus Wrote:  

Could something similar happen again today? Would social media lessen or worsen the impact?
[Image: uwnuQXv.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin