rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bulletproof Coffee + IF (Intermittent Fasting)

In an effort to feel better & lower my body fat percentage to next to nothing, I decided to use IF (Intermittent fasting) on top of a strict paleo diet for an entire year. This is on top of daily cardio/weight training.

Intermittent Fasting is getting all of your caloric intake in an 8 hour window (I do 2-8pm) and fasting the rest of the day. There are tons of health benefits to doing this, much more beneficial than shredding that belly:
Decrease cardiovascular disease risk.
Decrease cancer risk.
Lower diabetes risk (at least in animals, data on humans were less clear, possibly because the trial periods in the studies were not long enough to show an effect).
Improve cognitive function.
Protect against some effects of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-wei...57043.html

During the fast, you are only allowed to drink water or coffee. This may seem a little intense. However, by incorporating Bulletproof Coffee into your mornings, you feel full, energized, refreshed, and focused. No crash later in the day, regardless of how much you drink.

Bulletproof Coffee uses single origin organic coffee + grassfed unsalted butter (kerrygold) + MCT/Coconut Oil. No milk. No sugar. and let me tell you, this coffee is fucking good.

The butter in the coffee actually forces your body to burn these good fats (grassfed butter/coconut oil) at a faster rate. During my 8 hours of loading up on meat (steak,bison,lamb), wild fish, etc. (all paleo foods), my metabolism is burning at an insane rate.

I havent had a single stomach pain since starting this diet, even after downing 2 pots of bulletproof coffee! i hop out of bed every morning craving this coffee and eager to start my day. If I had a little bit better of a job, id be on top of the world right now.

Im also getting better gains at the gym and my stomach is shredding into an 8 pac. Once I get to 6 months, ill post a before and after of myself to show you my physical results.

Here is some more info on the fast & the coffee:

Bulletproof Coffee
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-fasting/

More IF info (Leangains-AWESOME website)
http://www.leangains.com

I am big into IF and I am 7 months deep into it. For me you get used to the staved feeling or buzz you get from IF. If anything once you get into the grove of things it amps you up with a lot of energy. I've herd of bulletproof coffee so I am glad your giving it a favourable review.

For me and Paleo I am still mystified with it. I shredded weight just fine incorporating carbs into my diet while cutting down, are you getting most of your energy from the fats then?

You beat me to this post, I have been considering making a bit of a write-up regarding the same thing.

As I type right now, I've got a cup of almost Bulletproof coffee just 3 inches away from my keyboard - black coffee, Kerrygold unsalted, and Bulletproof MCT oil. When I run out of the regular grounds I have now, I've got 2 lbs of Bulletproof coffee in the freezer.

It's probably been 4 months that I've been trying variations of this coffee, and I'll tell you that I like it enough that I've gotta have it everyday for breakfast.

It's great for energy, shedding fat (my body is much more toned than it was a year ago, primarily diet changes), and elderly chatting up baristas who have never been asked to put butter in black coffee before.

Quote: (02-08-2013 08:09 AM)kosko Wrote:  

I am big into IF and I am 7 months deep into it. For me you get used to the staved feeling or buzz you get from IF. If anything once you get into the grove of things it amps you up with a lot of energy. I've herd of bulletproof coffee so I am glad your giving it a favourable review.

For me and Paleo I am still mystified with it. I shredded weight just fine incorporating carbs into my diet while cutting down, are you getting most of your energy from the fats then?

The Bulletproof coffee does wonders with helping me with my appetite, focus, etc. The fats that are in the coffee are paleo approved and work great in the IF. Some people say that the fat will actually break the starvation ketosis, but this is not so.

I find that I can control my food urges in the evening so much better now. I usually split it into 2 meals from 2-8...one usually right at 2 and the second around 6-8 (depending on what time i got in the gym that day).

At this point, im still eating potatoes using grassfed butter and eating a lot of red meat. My main goal is to shred my stomach so if I am losing weight at too slow of a rate, im going to back off the calories a little bit. But so far, my stomach seems to be showing more muscle each day. It may be in my head, but im only going to weigh myself every week or two so I dont drive myself nuts.

I think having a thread dedicated to body sculpting is a great idea. Guys should post before, during and after shots of the whole process. It is a good way to hold yourself accountable because you know you are going to get ripped to shreds by guys on the board if you don't stay committed.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

Dave Asprey was on Joe Rogans podcast a few months ago talking about IF and Bulletproof coffee. Great interview:

I.F. can help with jet lag as well if you have travel quite a bit.

Anywhere we can get it cheaper? What about that almost bulletproof?

Quote: (02-08-2013 04:25 PM)SkeletonJelly? Wrote:  

Anywhere we can get it cheaper? What about that almost bulletproof?

Fujiwara has tried all kinds of variations so im sure he can give you the cheapest rendition of the coffee.. MCT oil is still gonna be almost $15 for a small bottle and the butter is $5 a stick but those two do last you a while. You shouldn't cheap it up on the coffee end of it, either. Whole foods you can get a whole bag of single origin organic coffee for $16 and it'll last you a long time. Its worth it.

What gets expensive is the Intermittent fasting/paleo diet. I try to eat as much grassfed meats as possible because im trying to be paleo. However, I found even eliminating breakfast I spend more money in meat on 2 meals daily because I am trying to get better quality. If you have a local butcher you'll luck out, or just get the greenwise publix meat, or do the best you can.

Quote: (02-08-2013 03:43 PM)Katatonic Wrote:  

Dave Asprey was on Joe Rogans podcast a few months ago talking about IF and Bulletproof coffee. Great interview:

My buddy turned me onto Asprey from the Joe Rogan experience.... Coincidentally, I am pregaming right now to go see Joe Rogan at the improv in West Palm Beach tonight! Front Row! [Image: banana.gif]

4 grams of OG Kush + 3 percolator bong + Joe Rogan front row = mind fuck

I wouldn't skimp on the supplies for BPC. That shit will last you a month on what 30-40 bucks ? How much do you think it costs to eat breakfast everyday ? Double that probably. Not to mention you aren't getting all the benefits.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

+1 on bulletproof coffee. Absolutely will never go back.

If MCT oil is expensive (and it is ideal, especially Asprey's brand), don't be afraid to use a coconut oil. Living in Asia the stuff is super cheap, plus I like the flavor it adds to the coffee.

Right. So since about midway through January I've been doing it like this:

-black Pilon coffee (preground and cheap cheap cheap)
-2 tbsps Kerrygold unsalted
-2 tsps Bulletproof MCT oil.

Sometimes I add in a splash of Organic Valley whole milk (the pasture-raised/grass-fed one) to cool it down if it's too hot and I'm too impatient to drink it.

Before I had the Bulletproof oil to put in there, I'd just take a teaspoon and get two spoonfuls of organic virgin coconut oil in there.

As far as variations go, it's really with milk, amount of coconut oil, and types of butter. Most coffeeshops have feedlot butter/cream mixtures, so ordering it out most likely won't get you the coffee the way it is intended (but like I said an opportunity for elderly chat).

Key elements to this would definitely be the unsalted grass-fed butter and coconut/MCT oil. The link below says it ain't bad to use much more butter and oil than I do if you want. Now that I've read that, i actually may up the butter amount tomorrow morning...

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-ma...rning-too/

This thread is very interesting.

To me, it speaks of the rise of internet marketers looking for new angles to profit off of the growing awareness of the "paleo" lifestyle.

I've been drinking organic coffee for 5 years now. I drink my first cup of the day black. The second and third always have organic full-fat cream.

As for MCT.....that's just coconut oil. Been cooking with it for years now. My new favorite product that's hit the grocery stores in Hawaii is Spectrum Spray Coconut oil. I cook liberally with coconunt oil and Kerry Gold butter. At any given time, my freezer is stocked with at least 10 lbs. of Kerry Gold. I buy that lipid GOLD by the case.

Grass fed dairy butter and coconut oil should be the two staples of your cooking oil. I have no need to put either in my coffee, because I cook every single meal with those two oils -- at a minimum.

Oft times, I'll cook with a combo of acon grease, coconut oil and grade A, pastured butter - it's the trifecta of lipid utopia! Throw in a tablespoon of macadamia nut oil and now we're talking some serious fatty acid flavors....

Nevertheless, based on this thread, I will attempt to make my own bullet proof coffee now tomorrow before my work out just to see what ya'all are raving about. Since I always have both KerryGold and Coconut Oil on hand, I'll add some to my Organic Sumatran Java tomorrow morn.

Another thing about Medium-Chain Triglycerides.

It's the best post-sun exposure oil.

I quit using sunscreen about 4 years ago. There have been a few occasions where I got over-exposed and turned red and looked like I was gonna have a helluva a sunburn the next day. I just go home and rub coconut oil in after a cold shower and let it dry. Go to bed, and wake up tan. I haven't had a true sunburn or peeling skin since.

One last thing.... when it comes to Intermittent Fasting, coffee is but one of several different kinds of stimulant/appetite suppressants that will give you the same effects of coffee-coconut oil-butter (not that I'm trying to discourage it!)

You could get the exact same effects with a cup of regular coffee for breakfast and drinking coconut water for lunch while using some sort of tobacco product like cigars, chew, nic gum, vaping or something similar at regular intervals.

I regularly IF while exerting myself physically. Days in which where I eat nothing until dinner time. 3 cups of coffee for breakfast, and smoking a cigar and drink nothing but water and coconut water all day.

Lemme tell you this: after hitting 20 hours of no food and only coffee, CH20 and tobacco smoke, 1 good microbrew before dinner is good for an instant buzz!

On a full stomach, I can easily down a 6 pack and not blink. But on an empty stomach after a 20 hour fast?

1 Beer = YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAW!

So how can this be used for someone that travels a lot? Carrying around butter all over the world seems like a logistical nightmare.

Quote: (02-09-2013 02:50 AM)K Galt Wrote:  

This thread is very interesting.

To me, it speaks of the rise of internet marketers looking for new angles to profit off of the growing awareness of the "paleo" lifestyle.

I've been drinking organic coffee for 5 years now. I drink my first cup of the day black. The second and third always have organic full-fat cream.

As for MCT.....that's just coconut oil. Been cooking with it for years now. My new favorite product that's hit the grocery stores in Hawaii is Spectrum Spray Coconut oil. I cook liberally with coconunt oil and Kerry Gold butter. At any given time, my freezer is stocked with at least 10 lbs. of Kerry Gold. I buy that lipid GOLD by the case.

Grass fed dairy butter and coconut oil should be the two staples of your cooking oil. I have no need to put either in my coffee, because I cook every single meal with those two oils -- at a minimum.

Oft times, I'll cook with a combo of acon grease, coconut oil and grade A, pastured butter - it's the trifecta of lipid utopia! Throw in a tablespoon of macadamia nut oil and now we're talking some serious fatty acid flavors....

Nevertheless, based on this thread, I will attempt to make my own bullet proof coffee now tomorrow before my work out just to see what ya'all are raving about. Since I always have both KerryGold and Coconut Oil on hand, I'll add some to my Organic Sumatran Java tomorrow morn.

You have no need for those two things in your coffee because you cook with them? Its funny how you support these two things, however, you choose to use full fat cream instead of the butter and coconut oil. lol. I dont see the logic-- you are better off using the coconut oil and butter.

Almost sounds like you are against the idea because you were into using organic coffee before Bulletproof came out.

Internet Marketers? Dude. David Asprey makes it so easy to go get your own ingredients. He hardly encourages his own product. NONE of my bulletproof coffee ingredients are from David Asprey nor have I given that guy a dime. Most people would say the same. I don't think he's doing this to "get rich quick" the guy already has $200 mil

Quote: (02-09-2013 03:14 AM)K Galt Wrote:  

One last thing.... when it comes to Intermittent Fasting, coffee is but one of several different kinds of stimulant/appetite suppressants that will give you the same effects of coffee-coconut oil-butter (not that I'm trying to discourage it!)

You could get the exact same effects with a cup of regular coffee for breakfast and drinking coconut water for lunch while using some sort of tobacco product like cigars, chew, nic gum, vaping or something similar at regular intervals.

I regularly IF while exerting myself physically. Days in which where I eat nothing until dinner time. 3 cups of coffee for breakfast, and smoking a cigar and drink nothing but water and coconut water all day.

Lemme tell you this: after hitting 20 hours of no food and only coffee, CH20 and tobacco smoke, 1 good microbrew before dinner is good for an instant buzz!

On a full stomach, I can easily down a 6 pack and not blink. But on an empty stomach after a 20 hour fast?

1 Beer = YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAW!

Cigars and Beer kill my purpose of IF and Paleo dieting. I might as well snort coke to lose weight at that point.

Quote: (02-09-2013 01:55 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

So how can this be used for someone that travels a lot? Carrying around butter all over the world seems like a logistical nightmare.

This is too funny. Yes, I will pack you a suitcase of grass fed butter and ice and you must travel around the world with it [Image: tard.gif]

The butter definitely has to be bought local. lol

Quote: (02-09-2013 01:55 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Coconut oil/fat is readily available across the glove as it is a staple oil in many places. As for the butter somebody please highlight why butter is crucial? I know that butter has unique compounds via Butyric acid but wondering if this the key reason via its ability to deal with ones metabolism?

Would organic/free range cream be a suitable alternative if access to butter is not available? Fresh butter can be made from shaking up heavy cream for a few minutes so maybe this can be an option for those abroad or like me have no access to grass fed/ quality butter.

Hey Jules, sorry if I came across as a critic or discounting Bullet Coffee or your efforts to find your own paleo hacks! That was not my intent at all.

Cigars and Beer kill my purpose of IF and Paleo dieting. I might as well snort coke to lose weight at that point.

So what is your purpose than? Solely to lose weight? Cool.

What about when you hit your target weight and have maintained it for a long period of time? Still never going to drink a beer or have a cigar or any other recreational vice? More power to you bro, but I'm coming from a place where I've been 90% "paleo" for over 5 years now. I lost all my flab in 2007. I don't "Paleo" to lose weight anymore. And drinking alcohol has almost zero effect on my weight (mainly because I don't eat junk food even if I do get the drunk munchies).

I IF on a near daily basis - 5 days a week, I have one huge meal (either brunch or dinner) than not eat until 24 hours later.

Not because I'm trying to keep the weight off or anything like that....but because when you eat paleo for a long period of time, you are eating a nutrient dense diet. You no longer feel hungry for most of the day.

The one thing about Paleo that I've discovered, is that my tolerance for alcohol is much higher, and I rarely ever even get a hint of a hangover. For instance, I drank 6 brews last night (all 7.4% alcohol - extra pale ales), woke up bright and early and went down to the crossfit gym in town and went through the WOD, no problem.

I ate nothing since yesterday morning. But, thanks to this thread, I did try a cup of coffee with a slab of kerry gold and coconut oil stirred into it. It was very good! Thanks for the tip.

5 years ago, I woulda slept in til 12 noon after a night of drinking like that. It's the paleo diet!!! Love it.

Don't get me wrong bro, I wasn't trying to diss you or the guy selling Bulletproof. I'm all about the Paleo diet...I just think we are now seeing Paleo approach mainstream acceptability, because we now have companies trying to sell products that adhere to the paleo lifestyle.

It's like Mark Sisson. He sells his "Primal Fuel" which is essentially whey protein isolate mixed with powdered coconut milk...but sold at a premium. I got no bitch at all with Mark, we all gotta make a living! But really, you would get the exact same results if you mixed your own whey isolate with coconut milk bought from local grocery or health food store than you would ordering a brand name product like that.

That is all I was really trying to point out here. I'm certain Bullet coffee and the MCT and butter your adding to your coffee is doing all those positive things you've described.

I wasn't trying to discount or discourage you or anyone else...just saying, when you understand the principles behind why and what goes into these Paleo products, you can usually make it yourself at a lower cost.

And in these rough economic times, we could all use some tips on ways to cut costs, no?

Where'd you get kerri-gold butter? Canylt find that shit in stores

Trader Joes.

If you're on the West Coast USA, Safeway carries it as well.

[Image: thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif]

I love threads about body-building & sculpting.

But they're fucking worthless without pics.

Where is FitAsFuck?

That guy is a fucking beast. Ask him for advice.

A year from now you'll wish you started today