rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

need help picking mma?

need help picking mma?

So I just joined my local ufc gym and cant decide which arts I should do. Im planning on taking bjj cause of its superior ground capabilities. But can't decide out of muay thai or boxing. Im 5 8 217 so im dropping to 200 before I hop in the classes. If anyone has info it would be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons of each as well as intensity of workouts, lenth of time it takes to be efficient and real world use. Thanks in advance guys.

need help picking mma?

Is it an actual UFC gym, or just an MMA gym? Make sure the instructors are legitimate, and that there is full contact sparring. I know the UFC is opening a chain of gyms, but I don't know how legit they are.

To answer your question, try each one and pick the one or two you like the best. Personally, I like BJJ and boxing the best.

Also, don't drop to 200 until you jump in the classes. This is the oldest excuse in the book for people who are too timid to train. There is absolutely no point in dropping weight before yous start to train. Start training and then you WILL drop weight. Forget about the "I have to get into shape first" bullshit. It is just an excuse. Seriously, just go jump straight into a BJJ class from day one. 217lbs isn't even close to the fattest person I've seen start BJJ.

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-23-2013 04:32 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Is it an actual UFC gym, or just an MMA gym? Make sure the instructors are legitimate, and that there is full contact sparring. I know the UFC is opening a chain of gyms, but I don't know how legit they are.

To answer your question, try each one and pick the one or two you like the best. Personally, I like BJJ and boxing the best.

Also, don't drop to 200 until you jump in the classes. This is the oldest excuse in the book for people who are too timid to train. There is absolutely no point in dropping weight before yous start to train. Start training and then you WILL drop weight. Forget about the "I have to get into shape first" bullshit. It is just an excuse. Seriously, just go jump straight into a BJJ class from day one. 217lbs isn't even close to the fattest person I've seen start BJJ.

Its a legit ufc gym and I dont know of they do full contact sparring I just want to get my feet wet and see which one I like out of muay thai and boxing. Bjj is already on the list once I get familar with one of the other too. And im not to timid to train lol just out of shape my ideal weight is 185 not 200.

need help picking mma?

How can you say it is legit if you don't know that they do full contact sparring?

Of course you are out of shape, you aren't training. Even if you drop 17lbs, you still won't be in shape for BJJ or boxing/MT. The best way to get into shape for BJJ is by doing BJJ.

Seriously, go start training. Don't join the thousands of people who want to get into shape before they start training, because they are all still talking about getting into shape so that they can start training.

need help picking mma?

Agree with Rio totally. There's no better way to lose weight than training boxing/BJJ.

A few years ago there was a kid at the gym I was going to who started up training. He was pretty fat and goofy looking, like 275+ lbs at around 6', with a big frame but mostly fat. He was 16 years old and his dad brought him in because he didn't like what his son was turning in to. Fortunately the kid really took to MMA and was in there 3-4 times a week. In less than a year the kid was like 220 lbs. and was tossing grown ass men around with ease due to the strength and skill he developed.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-23-2013 11:08 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

How can you say it is legit if you don't know that they do full contact sparring?

Of course you are out of shape, you aren't training. Even if you drop 17lbs, you still won't be in shape for BJJ or boxing/MT. The best way to get into shape for BJJ is by doing BJJ.

Seriously, go start training. Don't join the thousands of people who want to get into shape before they start training, because they are all still talking about getting into shape so that they can start training.

Always remember that Roy Nelson has a black belt in BJJ awarded by Renzo Gracie, and he has bigger tits than any other male or female fighter in MMA.

need help picking mma?

I just looked up Roy Nelson. Holy crap. I have no idea how you can look that and still be such a badass.

need help picking mma?

Ok im going to ask question again can anyone please tell me the pros and cons of each. Muay thai, bjj, and boxing. Thanks

need help picking mma?

And to answer your question they do have full contact sparring.
And im one step ahead of thousands of people you speak off im observing and doing reasearch as much as I can before I commit myself. So if you have any information on the question I asked before feel free to help instead of trying to rag on me. Thanks in advance

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-23-2013 04:31 PM)Prestige Wrote:  

And to answer your question they do have full contact sparring.
And im one step ahead of thousands of people you speak off im observing and doing reasearch as much as I can before I commit myself. So if you have any information on the question I asked before feel free to help instead of trying to rag on me. Thanks in advance

I don't think RioNomad was trying to "rag" on you.

I think he was trying to motivate you to go "rush it" and start.

need help picking mma?

My advice is, go with muay thai. That way you learn to use your feet as well. Kickboxing would be a good choice if they got that too.

need help picking mma?

I would go with boxing first, over muay thai.

Boxing is better, because you learn defense, and how to prevent people from punching you in the face, boxing emphasize distance, ducking, slipping, counter punching, this is not cover in muay thai extensively.

Muay thai can be complicated, since you are require to have some flexibility and dexterity to throw a kick, also trying to control your feet and hand, maybe overwhelming.

Muay thai in street fight can be complicated by the fact alot of us wear dress shoes, tight jeans, and suits, it would be difficult to use muay thai when you are suited up or dress up, since you will ruin your pants, by kicking or simply fall due to wearing dress shoes.

Boxing is pratical for street fight, because most people want to punch you in the face, boxing teach you to duck and slip punches....good self defense....

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-23-2013 05:26 PM)jerome Wrote:  

I would go with boxing first, over muay thai.

Boxing is better, because you learn defense, and how to prevent people from punching you in the face, boxing emphasize distance, ducking, slipping, counter punching, this is not cover in muay thai extensively.

Muay thai can be complicated, since you are require to have some flexibility and dexterity to throw a kick, also trying to control your feet and hand, maybe overwhelming.

Muay thai in street fight can be complicated by the fact alot of us wear dress shoes, tight jeans, and suits, it would be difficult to use muay thai when you are suited up or dress up, since you will ruin your pants, by kicking or simply fall due to wearing dress shoes.

Boxing is pratical for street fight, because most people want to punch you in the face, boxing teach you to duck and slip punches....good self defense....

Thanks for the info

need help picking mma?

A good thing with muay thai is learning the clinch postion/stand up grappling to a degree. Lots of fights get to this position at some point and knowing how to control your opponent plus some devastating strikes from this postion (elbows, knees) will go a long way. Especially because the vast majority of people don't know what to do in this scenario. So simply being able to do SOMETHING in this position will help. And if you know what you're doing you can get to the position at will against an unsuspecting guy trying to throw a punch.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

need help picking mma?

First off, I agree with Rio, just get in the gym. You're over thinking it. The more you think about it the less likely you will do it.

As for which ones to do, I think MT is better than boxing for striking when it's done well but there's a higher learning curve for MT than boxing. Most people have some general idea of how to punch but teaching a person to kick is something most people arent used to. Also theres a lot of good things that boxing teaches that can be used in muay thai if you decide to do it. For instance, the head movement and footwork is superior to standard MT. So i agree with the advice of starting with boxing.

For grappling, BJJ is always good, probably has the highest learning curve though but you need to know bjj if you do mma. That's like fundamental.

Overtime you can start deciding if you want to become more of a grappler or striker. But first get your ass in the door.

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-24-2013 01:04 AM)cibo Wrote:  

First off, I agree with Rio, just get in the gym. You're over thinking it. The more you think about it the less likely you will do it.

As for which ones to do, I think MT is better than boxing for striking when it's done well but there's a higher learning curve for MT than boxing. Most people have some general idea of how to punch but teaching a person to kick is something most people arent used to. Also theres a lot of good things that boxing teaches that can be used in muay thai if you decide to do it. For instance, the head movement and footwork is superior to standard MT. So i agree with the advice of starting with boxing.

For grappling, BJJ is always good, probably has the highest learning curve though but you need to know bjj if you do mma. That's like fundamental.

Overtime you can start deciding if you want to become more of a grappler or striker. But first get your ass in the door.

Thanks for the info fellas greatly appreciated.

need help picking mma?

What is the monthly fee on this "UFC gym"? I bet they are charging a super-premium just because it bears the UFC logo on the front door. Are they the only option for MMA in your area?

I know some of the UFC champs have had gyms of their own in Hollywood and have charged upward of $200/month. Fight training typically goes from 1/4-1/2 that price.

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-24-2013 03:50 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

What is the monthly fee on this "UFC gym"? I bet they are charging a super-premium just because it bears the UFC logo on the front door. Are they the only option for MMA in your area?

I know some of the UFC champs have had gyms of their own in Hollywood and have charged upward of $200/month. Fight training typically goes from 1/4-1/2 that price.

Base price is 30 a month. All the good classes 80 a month

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-23-2013 04:25 AM)Prestige Wrote:  

So I just joined my local ufc gym and cant decide which arts I should do. Im planning on taking bjj cause of its superior ground capabilities. But can't decide out of muay thai or boxing. Im 5 8 217 so im dropping to 200 before I hop in the classes. If anyone has info it would be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons of each as well as intensity of workouts, lenth of time it takes to be efficient and real world use. Thanks in advance guys.

Do research on the instructors. For BJJ you can trace the lineage and see if the guys come from a legit one or not. I would check it out for a while and see what it's like.

Also define your expectations and goals as you start. Do you want to get in shape, learn self defense, or fight in the cage? I assume you want to eventually fight MMA. Are you ready for what that takes?

Personally for myself, I train BJJ and recently started Muay Thai, but I only compete in grappling competitions. I have no desire to fight in a cage, so I train differently than someone who does.

Length of time for efficient and real world use is a tough question to answer. It depends on your dedication and athleticism.

BJJ progress tends to begin fast because everything you're learning is new. Then you go through highs and lows, where sometimes you feel great and other times you think you're getting worse.

The most important thing is to keep training. In terms of belts, I'd say 1 to 1.5 years to get a blue. 4-5 years to get a purple on average for the guy training consistently 3-4 times a week with a good instructor, working on his weak points, staying healthy, etc. For some people you're probably looking at even more time.

Consistency is the hardest part, especially if/when you get injured.

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-24-2013 07:00 AM)Prestige Wrote:  

where are you located?

i'm an accomplished ammy fighter. my gym wants me there to help promote the gym. and i get 50% off of the normal price. and i pay $125/mo unlimited. thats a bargain.

if you're being charged $30/mo I can't imagine that the instructors are legit. what are their names? what is their lineage? are there any black belts there? any pro fighters? any amateur fighters?

this is how you figure out whether or not the gym is worth a shit or not.

need help picking mma?

I'd go with BJJ and Muay Thai. I'm a little biased though because those are my 2 main arts.

To be honest, start with BJJ and only do that for a while. Make sure you can handle the training for that first. You don't want to overwhelm yourself by training too much.

Like other people have said, you're too worried about getting into shape before starting. Stop procrastinating and just do it. No matter what shape you are in, you will never be in shape for BJJ until you do BJJ. It is a different type of cardio and you WILL lose weight doing it.

I'd also look into more than just the "UFC" gyms. I'm sure there are others in your area that are good as well.

Where are you at and I can maybe recommend some gyms for you to check out.

You may go to the UFC gym and not care for the teacher and the group of students. If you aren't comfortable where you are you will not train to your ability.

In Dallas, I trained at a gym and that whole group was like a 2nd family to me. When I moved to Pittsburgh, I went to a couple of the gyms, and while I liked the coaches, I never got that "family" feel and it turned me off of training. I quit because I couldn't find somewhere I was accepted.

When I move back to Dallas, I'm joining back up at my original gym and getting back with the fam.

Hope this helps you out.

need help picking mma?

I'd pick Muay Thai - for the simple reason that you can practice by yourself. You can buy a punching bag for $50-$100, hang it in your garage/apartment/basement, and practice the techniques when you aren't in class.

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-24-2013 07:16 AM)Neo Wrote:  

Quote: (01-23-2013 04:25 AM)Prestige Wrote:  

Do research on the instructors. For BJJ you can trace the lineage and see if the guys come from a legit one or not. I would check it out for a while and see what it's like.

Also define your expectations and goals as you start. Do you want to get in shape, learn self defense, or fight in the cage? I assume you want to eventually fight MMA. Are you ready for what that takes?

Personally for myself, I train BJJ and recently started Muay Thai, but I only compete in grappling competitions. I have no desire to fight in a cage, so I train differently than someone who does.

Length of time for efficient and real world use is a tough question to answer. It depends on your dedication and athleticism.

BJJ progress tends to begin fast because everything you're learning is new. Then you go through highs and lows, where sometimes you feel great and other times you think you're getting worse.

The most important thing is to keep training. In terms of belts, I'd say 1 to 1.5 years to get a blue. 4-5 years to get a purple on average for the guy training consistently 3-4 times a week with a good instructor, working on his weak points, staying healthy, etc. For some people you're probably looking at even more time.

Consistency is the hardest part, especially if/when you get injured.

Well I want to learn sumprhing new . Tired of the same old lift weights cardio thing at 24 hour fitness. Been doing that for like around 5 years now. Also played sports in high school. I respond well to challenges that I set for myself. My expectations are just to get in the best shape I can, learn a new way of defending myself. If I like what im doing enough then I will step it up to compete

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-24-2013 08:16 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Quote: (01-24-2013 07:00 AM)Prestige Wrote:  

where are you located?

i'm an accomplished ammy fighter. my gym wants me there to help promote the gym. and i get 50% off of the normal price. and i pay $125/mo unlimited. thats a bargain.

if you're being charged $30/mo I can't imagine that the instructors are legit. what are their names? what is their lineage? are there any black belts there? any pro fighters? any amateur fighters?

this is how you figure out whether or not the gym is worth a shit or not.

Im located bay area norcal gym is in concord ca. Its a official ufc gym but 80% of the people that attend there dont train a ma they just work out there. I guess they like the uptempo vibe. So that 30 a month is for everyone who doesnt train like yoga pilates etc. 80 a month gets you bjj, muay thai, hapkijitsu, boxing, and san shou. Bjj, boxing, and muay thai all have varying levels. They also have other teachers there teaching their respective arts.

need help picking mma?

Quote: (01-24-2013 10:13 AM)txtraveler Wrote:  

I'd go with BJJ and Muay Thai. I'm a little biased though because those are my 2 main arts.

To be honest, start with BJJ and only do that for a while. Make sure you can handle the training for that first. You don't want to overwhelm yourself by training too much.

Like other people have said, you're too worried about getting into shape before starting. Stop procrastinating and just do it. No matter what shape you are in, you will never be in shape forward BJJ until you do BJJ. It is a different type of cardio and you WILL lose weight doing it.

I'd also look into more than just the "UFC" gyms. I'm sure there are others in your area that are good as well.

Where are you at and I can maybe recommend some gyms for you to check out.

You may go to the UFC gym and not care for the teacher and the group of students. If you aren't comfortable where you are you will not train to your ability.

In Dallas, I trained at a gym and that whole group was like a 2nd family to me. When I moved to Pittsburgh, I went to a couple of the gyms, and while I liked the coaches, I never got that "family" feel and it turned me off of training. I quit because I couldn't find somewhere I was accepted.

When I move back to Dallas, I'm joining back up at my original gym and getting back with the fam.

Hope this helps you out.

How am I procrastinating and I asked a simple question? You guys are funny. My reason for waiting a week or two is as I stated above im new to this gym. I really dont know anybody in there. Im talking to members coaches etc getting feedback then I will make my decision. Im not going to jump in anybodys class and go for the gusto blind. That makes no sense. Its not about losing some weight then jumping in the class, maybe you guys took the context of my question wrong. Of course I will lose weight soon as I start training muscle confusion. Like you said your coach and make you or brake you so that is my reason. Thanks for the info