rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is a college degree really worth it?

I'm taking about a college degree in a specialized hard science field from at least a good institution. Do you HAVE to have a college degree to make it in life or at least be successful, or does being successful in life boils down to really your personality, looks, and/or connections etc etc etc. I have been told and drilled into my head that without any sort of degree from an upper tier educational institution, you are a nobody or won't get anywhere in life.

College degree

PROS:

1. Clear demonstration you can do serious work assigned to you passably well.

2. It gives you an opportunity to meet and learn from professors so you gain true, pure and virtuous knowledge that broadens your horizons, expands the mind, and makes you an interesting person - most of all to yourself.

3. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn full-time, party, and practice game. If you can manage a good study balance with partying and having a blast, you've done well.

CONS

1. Can be expensive as fuck. There are ways to mitigate this.

2. Higher-education is so often overrated.

3. It's a four-year commitment.

Conclusion: I would DEFINITELY go to college if the subject interested me. I would work hard (1st), play hard (2nd). Settle for nothing less than +3.5 GPA (or a First in Britain). You want to feel like you got absolutely everything out of that place.

As far as mitigating costs go, consider ROTC. In fact, I strongly recommend it. It will be a win for you in so many ways (I'm assuming you're our average RooshV member - above average intelligence and decent physical build). You can get tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships, they develop your character insanely. By age 25, you will leagues ahead of the competition.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Thanks, instead of going to a 4 year college I decided to go to a Junior college instead to save money, unfortunately a lot of shit happened with my life and I kinda shot myself in the foot out of depression and I ended up getting some bad grades which I am trying my best to make up. Unfortunately, for young people in America, it seems it's way too hard to even get a job unless you know someone that can get you through.

How are you feeling now?

The most important thing is that whatever you do, no matter what it is, you do with excellence. I got bad grades in college too, and it's a major regret. I hardly ever party and have largely given up on game to ensure my graduate grades are top-notch.

It's never too late to get on the right path.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Well I'm feeling less bad but still bad b/c it was primarily my fault I got bad grades when I shouldn't have because I was feeling incredibly depressed which I am now trying to combat even though I went to see people for it.

I am trying to get a job but unfortunately it seems way too difficult to even get one basic job where I live right now for some odd reason. BTW who is that girl in that gif of yours lol?

I don't think there is a definite answers. Depends on the person and his goals.

College is great for some people. I just graduated a year and a half ago and realize now that it would have been best to wait a year or two after high school. I think spending some time in the "real world" first would have put my college degree in context and I would have gotten more out of it.

Considering I make above the median household income in my area, yes it's worth it.

But a degree alone means nothing IMHO. A person needs to have drive to make something of it. A degree is step one

College is still a worthwhile investment if done correctly, as ElJefe pointed out above. My college roommate, one of my best friends, was in town for work this week so we went out for a few beers. We're both 29 and joined the corporate world after finishing up at Roosh's alma mater. My buddy graduated with a 3.7 in marketing and I graduated with a 2.5 as an econ major. Fast forward seven years after graduation and he's made a few lateral moves in his industry (no further schooling) but he just bought a M3 convertible and has a cushy title as VP of sales with a commercial insurance company. I estimate he makes somewhere between $150k and $200k per year. Meanwhile, I've bounced through different industries and have had about 10 different jobs since college--some with small companies and some with fortune 500 companies. I haven't even made half of the money that my buddy makes in a year. After leaving my last corporate gig, I've just decided that world isn't for me and I'm out on the entrepreneurial trail not using much of anything that I learned in college.

So, the point of that story was that college is definitely still worth it if you bust your ass to get good grades (at least a 3.0). Don't just bury your head in the books though. Take advantage of the opportunities to meet people that are different from yourself, talk to the professors, and get internships. These days, a university degree is far from a guarantee of a well paying job so don't go more than $20k in the hole to get your undergraduate. OTOH, there are a ton of opportunities out there for people with creativity and/or computer savvy to make a lot of money without incurring the debt of going to college. If I could do it again, I would go to college and start a business in my spare time. If I made enough with the business that college is no longer worth the opportunity cost, I would drop out to work on it full time.

3.0 or even 3.5 are not exactly grades to shoot for. Reality is top firms in the corporate world are looking for 3.9 or higher and will drop to 3.7 or so relatively frequently. Yes, I know some 3.3 students who ended up with nice jobs afterwards but that is not the norm. The people who get the good paying jobs get very high grades. As well, entrance into professional schools (the good ones) usually pretty much requires very good grades as well as a very good admissions test. I see university as a good investment if you continue working hard afterwards. It isn't a I'll bust my ass off for 4 years get my degree get a nice cushy job and coast. It's a continue process of hard work.

Ultimately your success is going to depend on your work ethic, willingness to take risks and follow through, and reading a lot (everyone should be pounding the books on marketing, finance, management, self-help, etc). If you have those things, then a college degree can be a useful tool. If you don't, then it won't do much for you.

Depending on what you want to do and the degree it could be worth it.

Otherwise, probably not if it requires you to get too deep into debt and you are unsure what you want to do:

If you can go for free, do it and practice approaching everyday. Win win.

It is worth it. Just don't blow up your student loans....I was making 35-45 with a bachelors, masters cost me $30K and immediately I was up over 55K

College is fun anyway. I went to school, drank, chased girls, and worked part time as a valet parker....

its personal and people have to ask whats the cost benefit analysis? if your parents arent paying for it you really should make sure its a worthwhile investment . . . so engineering, science, business are sound degrees that will likely pay off.

if your lucky and have it paid for then get a degree in anything if you later down the line need a more serious degree to land better jobs there is always grad school, which you could probably convince your family to pay for too.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

You've got to look at the cost benefit analysis of it.

Generally, it WILL make you more employable, but enough to justify the tuition costs? Who knows.

Even liberal arts degrees do make you *marginally* more employable. I know from experience that ad agencies and journalism businesses generally prefer new employees to have BAs, though it's not necessary.

Serious question:

Would you rather have 40K in capital or a 40K college degree?

College is a shit investment.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (12-08-2012 07:55 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Serious question:

Don't forget about the 4-5 years' of time you sink into it, during which you can only work part time at best.

College bascially means after wasting 4-5 years of your time, which is more important than money you are paying 40k for a piece of paper. With the poor shape the economy is in right now the chances of your finding a job is slim to none. I wouldn't even tell someone I hated to go to college, that is how bad of an investment in both time and money it is.

Quote: (12-08-2012 07:55 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Serious question:

What financial institution is going to give hundreds of thousands of18 year olds with little to no assets $40,000 dollars to start a business?

None.

WIA

You could always sign up for a few classes, take out $20,000 in student loans, then drop out right away ;-)

This is a no-brainer...
If you have the opportunity of getting into a good program, then you should absolutely do it. 40-50K loans can be paid within 2-3 years of graduation.

The people without college degrees making good money are outliers, career wise going to college is still the best bet

For 90% of the country college or a trade school is a good idea. In NYC where I live you need at least 60 credits to become a cop or a fire man, so it opens up doors....

What is your alternative?? If you have some great business idea I would reconsider, but don't waste your time working full time at some shitty job.....

ROTC is an idea I've never thought about. A regular undergrad just isn't worth the opportunity costs these days. The character development is likely worth as much as the education...

if you want the 'college' experience get a masters degree that has stipend funding after ROTC, easier to game undergrads as a masters student, especially if you are a TA

Quote: (12-08-2012 11:31 AM)ElJefe Wrote:  

College degree

PROS:

1. Clear demonstration you can do serious work assigned to you passably well.

2. It gives you an opportunity to meet and learn from professors so you gain true, pure and virtuous knowledge that broadens your horizons, expands the mind, and makes you an interesting person - most of all to yourself.

3. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn full-time, party, and practice game. If you can manage a good study balance with partying and having a blast, you've done well.

CONS

1. Can be expensive as fuck. There are ways to mitigate this.

2. Higher-education is so often overrated.

3. It's a four-year commitment.

Conclusion: I would DEFINITELY go to college if the subject interested me. I would work hard (1st), play hard (2nd). Settle for nothing less than +3.5 GPA (or a First in Britain). You want to feel like you got absolutely everything out of that place.

As far as mitigating costs go, consider ROTC. In fact, I strongly recommend it. It will be a win for you in so many ways (I'm assuming you're our average RooshV member - above average intelligence and decent physical build). You can get tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships, they develop your character insanely. By age 25, you will leagues ahead of the competition.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

College? I thought we're all about location independents, passive incomes, pillaging poosies abroad and living the life? last I checked college is a direct road to a 9-5 grind.