rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Morbidly obese American woman unable to fit on plane

The title should read: "Morbidly obese American dies after airline unable to board her despite heroic efforts by a team of spot welders, strongmen and forklift operators"

[Image: 26.1n005.toofat.C--300x300.jpg]

Article

Some of the best parts:
Quote:Quote:

He was also told the seat back couldn’t handle his wife’s weight.

In Prague, Delta staff told the couple the airline’s plastic wheelchair couldn’t hold her weight, Janos said.

The staff also couldn’t put her on the sky-lift elevator, the airline said.

Then trouble struck again.

On the plane, the crew, with help from the local fire department, was unable to move her from her wheelchair to the three seats assigned to her.

The captain ordered them off after 30 minutes of no success.

In typical American fashion he is suing:

Then they were told to drive five hours to Prague for a Delta plane that could accommodate her as a disabled person, said attorney Holly Ostrov Ronai, who is mulling a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the airlines accusing them of violating laws protecting the disabled.

“I’m lonely now. Wherever I am going, I am just going alone. I am missing her a lot,” he said, adding he was grateful to work his ferry job on Thanksgiving to keep his mind off his late wife.

“There were only two women in my life — my mother, who I lived with for 23 years, and Vilma, who I lived with for 33 years,” Janos said.

They shoot horses don't they??

Let me get this straight:

1) Woman is too big to be safely transported aboard any of several airliners

2) Woman is suffering from kidney failure

3) Woman refuses to seek treatment citing distrust of Hungarian hospitals

4) Woman dies after refusing to seek treatment, so husband sues airline

[Image: wtf.jpg]

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

I'm not going to rip this guy. He lost his wife, and he's doing what almost anyone would under the circumstances. However, I believe the airline made every reasonable (and unreasonable) attempt to accommodate his wife. It just wasn't possible. That being said, how far should airlines go towards having equipment/facilities available to accommodate someone that weighs over 400 pounds and is disabled? They're supposed to have seatbelt extenders on hand, but should they have extenders that would accommodate someone THIS large? Should every plane have a row of seats or two that have reinforced seat-backs? What's the solution?

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Her death was not the fault of the airline. She committed suicide via food with the aid of her husband. It is tragic but also completely avoidable. If she lost weight her health problems would most likely vanish along with the extra 270 lbs. Hopefully this is a wakeup call to her husband to start eating like a human being. He is complicit in her death and does bear some of the responsibility.

Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call to morbidly obese, obese, fat, chunky, and women who are starting to letting themselves go. Being fat isnt healthy. It brings along numerous health complications that could easily be avoided with some effort from your part but you have to put your fattitude down the garbage chute and start using common sense. Being fat also isnt sexy and anyone who argues otherwise has some serious issues. To any female lurkers who may be reading this- Rise above the social pressure and temptation, lose the weight, and be an example to your fellow human beings.

Quote: (11-26-2012 03:07 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

Should every plane have a row of seats or two that have reinforced seat-backs? What's the solution?

C-17 Airlines
"Where pigs really CAN fly."

[Image: m3s-01316.jpg]

Haven't been seated with an obese person while flying. Hope it stays that way.

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

I think I read an article that said 1/3 of the country is obese. SHIIIIIIIT, that's crazy. How fat do you have to be to be classified as obese?

Quote: (11-27-2012 05:45 AM)houston Wrote:  

I think I read an article that said 1/3 of the country is obese. SHIIIIIIIT, that's crazy. How fat do you have to be to be classified as obese?

Obesity (extreme overweightness): A body mass index of above 30 or a body fat percetange above 25% for males, 33% for females.

Overweight: A body mass index of above 25 or a body fat percentage of above 21% in males, 31% in females.

The body mass index is not reliable if you lift weights, though.

its a disgrace that fat people are even allowed to fly, nevermind sue the airlines, 3 different airlines tried to get her onto a plane, all 3 failed, there's only one common element in all 3 attempts, thats the fatty trying to board the plane

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Quote: (11-27-2012 06:16 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Obesity (extreme overweightness): A body mass index of above 30 or a body fat percetange above 25% for males, 33% for females.

Overweight: A body mass index of above 25 or a body fat percentage of above 21% in males, 31% in females.

i am not fatty sympathizer. i hate them

but 25% body fat is not obese. not even close. in my mind at least.

i'm 6"4. 260. 25% BF with a BMI over 30. I just deadlifted 425lbs this morning and crossfit every day. I can do jiujitsu hours. I fought competitively at 230lbs, which still had my BMI over 30 and was probably 20%+ bf.

I am not shredded nor will I ever be, and I understand why BMI is flawed in calling me obese. but 25% BF? dunno about that.

@Houston: 1/3rd??? In New York City it is at least 75-85 percent. I take the train from Brooklyn to Manhattan 5x a week, and most people can't even walk up the stairs...

Most overweight city in america?

Quote: (11-27-2012 07:44 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

I am not shredded nor will I ever be, and I understand why BMI is flawed in calling me obese. but 25% BF? dunno about that.

It might be that the fat percentages are standardised to the DEXA scan, which is not done much outside of research.

What method did you use to get your body fat percentage?

Quote: (11-28-2012 06:23 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

It might be that the fat percentages are standardised to the DEXA scan, which is not done much outside of research.

What method did you use to get your body fat percentage?

Dexa scan.

Quote: (11-28-2012 07:57 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Dexa scan.

Cool. I guess they don't scan enough weightlifters when making obesity criteria.

Refusing medical aid in Humgary and Germany. Darwin award 2013.

Good riddance. Saying that without the slightest remorse.

i'm 6"4. 260. 25% BF with a BMI over 30. I just deadlifted 425lbs this morning and crossfit every day. I can do jiujitsu hours. I fought competitively at 230lbs, which still had my BMI over 30 and was probably 20%+ bf.

While I agree the BMI does not take lean mass into account and one can have a higher BMI and not be obese, I disagree on the bodyfat %. 25% body fat is obese. Simple as that. It does not mean that one is not strong or that one doesn't have the endurance for hours of martial arts.

It simply means one is obese. Just like one is a midget if under 58 inches. It doesn't change anything else except for the category they are in.

Quote: (11-28-2012 09:50 AM)scubadude Wrote:  

While I agree the BMI does not take lean mass into account and one can have a higher BMI and not be obese, I disagree on the bodyfat %. 25% body fat is obese. Simple as that. It does not mean that one is not strong or that one doesn't have the endurance for hours of martial arts.

It simply means one is obese. Just like one is a midget if under 58 inches. It doesn't change anything else except for the category they are in.

i suppose. but if you looked at me you would never call me obese. i'm 6'4 and wear a 38inch jean. i'm not svelt but i'm thick. i dont have a double chin. there is no fat hanging off my arms.

what i'm challenging is the notion that 25% is what the cut off should be. who knows.

but to lump me in with the land whales demonstrates a flaw in the calculations

Still, you gotta admit that the calculation is accurate for the vast majority of people. Most people - and particularly women - are not high in BMI just because they're muscled and thick.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

We are all laughing, but her husband is probably going to get a pretty decent settlement check with those airlines....

Quote: (11-28-2012 06:11 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

We are all laughing, but her husband is probably going to get a pretty decent settlement check with those airlines....

I'm moving to the states, finding me a cheezeburger walrus like this and I'm going to collect on dumb ass lawsuits. I'll make sure they're rich so the life insurance will pay out good. I'll also have a doctor friend who tells her we cant bang because shes too fat. I'll be banging fly chicks on the side and since shes bed ridden and rich I'll be able to be out of the house all the time.

The airplane shouldn't have allowed her to get to her destination. The fact that they allowed her on originally will likely cause problems for them in the legal dispute.

Quote: (11-28-2012 10:22 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

i suppose. but if you looked at me you would never call me obese. i'm 6'4 and wear a 38inch jean. i'm not svelt but i'm thick. i dont have a double chin. there is no fat hanging off my arms.

what i'm challenging is the notion that 25% is what the cut off should be. who knows.

Nah, this is definitely true.

The flaws with "BMI" have been well known for a long time now. I'm not sure why mainstream medicine continues to use the metric, maybe it's just laziness?

Quote: (11-29-2012 12:45 AM)Andy_B Wrote:  

Quote: (11-28-2012 10:22 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Nah, this is definitely true.

The flaws with "BMI" have been well known for a long time now. I'm not sure why mainstream medicine continues to use the metric, maybe it's just laziness?

To be honest, I haven't heard of much of BMI in the latest talk in my medical circles. Everyone complains about its unreliability and relative uselessness in calculating risk.

The latest buzz is about waist-hip ratio. This is apparently a more reliable indicator of cardiovascular risk, and is as cheap as the BMI to measure.

BMI is still a useful teaching tool to educate laypeople.

Really? 25% body fat means that a full quarter of you is made out of lard.