rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's up with American television?

I got some flu thing so the past couple of days I've been watching a lot of TV on the couch. What has struck me is how nauseating all the commercials and programming is. The main two themes I've noticed.

1. Women are intelligent, logical, and usually right. They are often educating men.

2. Men should always try to impress a woman, but never the other way around.

The reality television shows cater to everything women, even with their inane emotional outbursts and hamster logic. They are never called out for acting like retards. The regular comedy programming future spineless, slightly goofy men who often speak in gay voice.

I remember two commercials...

1. A McDonalds commercial where a pretty white woman asks a black man eating a BigMac where he lives. He has a shameful image of living in bunkbeds in his mom's house. He then answers. "Um.. in a loft." The answer itself isn't bad, but the commercial says that if you can't impress a girl, you are not a man.

2. A Citibank commercial where a guy gets dumped. To "get his ex back" he uses his awesome credit card to go backstage at an Alicia Keys concert and gets a backstage photo with her while she stares longingly into his eyes. The commercial says not to worry about having a relationship as long as you can pay for a fleeting experience.

Now I know why MMA is so popular here.

AND THE COMMERCIALS ARE SO FUCKING LOUD.

In similar discussions, the conclusion reached is the same.

Don't watch television.

Don't have facebook.

Don't eat out as often.

Chuckle at the stupidity of those who do.

In North Korea, if you are so fortunate as to own a radio, you can't turn it off. You can only turn down the volume. Thank God for America.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Its crazy isn't it? I don't watch much TV anymore but listen to radio when I'm working and driving and the ads on there are the same. Women are sharp witted geniuses and men and supplicating homer simpsons with more disposable income.

Whats even more amazing is when i comment on it, i am written off as being too sensitive or reading too much into it.

Good to know other people notice it too.

Foot note: I have kids, try watching a kids movie these days that doesn't have a bumbling male character and a witty heroine...Wall-E, Brave, on and on. In 1985 transformers, there was one bitch-former and she was barbie pink and just made sad faces when robots got killed and took care of the human kid. Things have changed.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Women consume more than men, hence they are pandered to.

my theory on kids-television: we grew up on cartoons produced in 198X, cold war still going on. i cant remember any show that was NOT good VS evil. sometimes they had some kind of summary on how the good guy behaves (one should behave) at the end of every episode. i think this had a strong influence on my values.

on advertising: they do the "man in ad is on homer simpson level" in europe too. well one more reason for not watching TV, especially commercials.

why does society/capitalism (capitalism influences everything including politics) cater to women?
a) capitalism profits from a increased workforce (women) -> women have income to spend spinning the wheel faster
b) women rule over most disposable income (husbands money)

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

If you want to see something sick put on Disney for a hour. There's one show that has a mom that freaks out and assaults men. I dare you to watch any of these shows.

Haven't had a T.V. for about 10 years.

Occasionally I'll go to a girl's house and they'll be watching T.V. In fact, anytime I go to a girl's house the T.V. is usually on. Since I won't see a T.V. for months on end, sometimes up to a year, the changes are very noticeable. Every time I see it it seems louder, stupider, more polarized, more mind-numbing. Every time I shake my head, disgusted that so many people are so exposed to this garbage for such large stretches of time.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

My TV went out when WTC went down. When they finally got it working, I was astonished out how insipid everything was, so I threw out my TV.

My grandmother says TV has been fucking garbage since the 1980's...

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

I only watch PBS and reruns of good shows. I even get annoyed when a good movie has to have a love story thrown in.

STORAGE WARSSSSSSSSSS

Every show has a main character that is usually women, the brainwashing is brutal and have stopped watching most things on TV.
I am the only one who also hate to see women talking about male sports, especially NFL which I love.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Quote: (10-06-2012 04:38 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Women consume more than men, hence they are pandered to.

Plus they are easier to pander to.

Quote:Quote:

The reality television shows cater to everything women, even with their inane emotional outbursts and hamster logic. They are never called out for acting like retards. The regular comedy programming future spineless, slightly goofy men who often speak in gay voice.

The VH1 reality show "Tough Love" averts this, sort-of, though I'm not sure if there's a season running at the moment. The host, a dating coach, is pretty good at calling out female bullshit. One of the show's hooks is the drama and crying that ensues when he scolds girls who try to argue with him.

It's not a remotely male-oriented show and the editing style drove me absolutely crazy, but I still kind of enjoyed what I saw of it.

Get a load of this atrocity. I just saw this trailer while seeing Taken 2 today and I couldn't believe the premise. Some fat bitch steals a dude's identity and the whole trailer was basically her beating him up as he tried to chase her down. Funny right? [Image: huh.gif]

Fortunately, TV is ever declining in relevance and viewership, so this issue is slowly being neutralized.

It does raise a point though.

If you ever take an intro to sociology class, one of the first things the prof will do is talk about the objectification of women in advertising. THey'll show you all these pics of boobs used to sell beer and things like that, but what they're not telling you is that these ads were ran in niche magazines aimed directly at men, whereas the anti-male ads were run on primetime TV.

Quote: (10-06-2012 06:10 PM)Andy_B Wrote:  

Fortunately, TV is ever declining in relevance and viewership, so this issue is slowly being neutralized.

It does raise a point though.

If you ever take an intro to sociology class, one of the first things the prof will do is talk about the objectification of women in advertising. THey'll show you all these pics of boobs used to sell beer and things like that, but what they're not telling you is that these ads were ran in niche magazines aimed directly at men, whereas the anti-male ads were run on primetime TV.

My pre-game LTR was a super feminist. One time she was telling me and her dad about shit like that and how unfair advertising is to women. Her dad just laughed at her and asked about all of the male shaming ads and if they would talk about that. She stormed off all mad and shit. The thing that bothers me about these university courses is that they are so bias towards what the prof believes. Students will rarely think critically about anything they're being told they just think "well I'm at this prestigious place, this person has dedicated much of their life to this subject therefore they must be right" One time we had a guest lecturer in a psychology class. They were talking about relationships and asked whether we would rather see our partner in a positive (rosy) light or objectively. Our normal prof goes off about how much better it is to see only the good in your partner so you'll forget about the few bad things they do... he was newly married. I raised my hand and said I'd want to see them objectively so if I see glaring character flaws etc I can catch them before I am truly falling for them (red pill disguised in a happily ever after story). The prof tries to argue because its how he sees thing, not the truth which the guest prof had studies to support.

I watch some of the reality shows on the Discovery Channel and the History Channel.

I also watch MMA and some shows on MTV, AMC, HBO, etc...

I would say not watching TV would make it harder to talk to young American chicks since they watch so much of it.

So much that can be said... Some scattered thoughts:

*If you stop watching TV for some time, and then get a glimpse of it, as thedude mentioned, you immediately think, "How the FUCK does anyone watch this, day in, day out?" It is incredibly unpleasant. But you won't notice until you stop watching. I've started to drive with my radio off, because it's becoming similar in that regard, plus the playlists are tiny and repetitive.

*Totally agree about the abundance of gay voice and all-knowing women. You know things are wrong when the only genuinely masculine men are cartoons, like Don Draper on Mad Men. Masculinity becomes a fantasy that has no place in real life, except in making the female worker bees wet.

*What's up with female news anchors? They always have this shrill, 'authoritative' voice. I'd be much more attentive if they had feminine, pleasant voices.

---------------------

Think of a place like North Korea. The propaganda is ubiquitous. It is, in a sense, the lifeblood of the state's authority. Were it to stop, were the mandatory daily brainwashing to cease, people would eventually come to their senses. They would moderate their support of the regime. TV occupies just this role in America. It seeds and sustains support for the status quo, just as North Korean propaganda does. This status quo, naturally, is radical egalitarianism, to the point of elevating 'oppressed' groups like women above their 'oppressors.'

While I don't think America would become a Rooshian paradise if all our TVs disappeared, I think the boundaries for discussion would be a lot wider. Views like ours would not be branded as taboo as easily, as people would not have this narrow frame of reference, before which they grovel daily, that tells them what is good and what is evil.

Technology, strictly speaking, is often morally neutral. But we don't use them in completely random patterns - some ways are more likely than others. And some come to constitute almost an entirely harmful influence on society. And that's what TV has become.

I see TVs like soda. With proper discretion, these things aren't too harmful. But we're like alcoholics who can't just stop at one glass of wine. We can't safely enjoy these things any longer - we'd be better off if someone removed them entirely from our lives. As the StayFocusd App demonstrates, sometimes it's necessary to use outside constraints to contain our baser instincts.

Seriously, stopping watching TV should be a part of the Roosh program (except Seinfeld [Image: wink.gif] ). Just as important as the things you should do are the things you shouldn't do.

Yeah most tv shows suck now a days that is a fact, but there are some shows I like to watch, I like to veg out in front of the tv occasionally at the end of the night. I'd say Breaking Bad is the best show that's been on TV lately I'd definitely check that out. Comedy Central has some decent shows, Workaholics is fucking hilarious I highly recommend it, new South Parks are hit or miss (the new fat shaming episode was dope), Tosh.O is pretty good, and the new sketch comedy show Key and Peele is pretty funny and worth watching.

Unfortunately HBO has no new good shows lately and none on the horizon, I never got into Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones, Curb Your Enthusiasm has been renewed for another year, but the show won't actually be on TV for at least a couple years.

Mainstream network TV is awful, I never watch it, some shows are really portraying men to be complete betas, and display women as the prize that all men struggle and strive for, while the women sit back and reject at free will. Probably the worst show has to be the Big Bang Theory, I saw a few minutes of it and I wanted to throw my remote at the TV, I know the show is about a group of nerds, but it's just sad how chodey and pathetic they are. Other shows, I have really seen, but look equally as bad are "Modern Family" and "Mike and Molly". Mike and Molly in particular makes Americans look like shit, a pussy whipped fat ass police officer husband, and his obese wife who always complains and wants him to do shit.

Just a reflection of the direction of society.

Back in the day, there was 'This Old House'. No b.s., just good, practical info on home repair.

Before the economy crashed in 2008, 'This Old House' was replaced by those 'home-flipping' shows where everyone all of a sudden was a real estate genius and contractor, and was 'flipping houses' in a week or two and getting rich quick. No real renovation knowledge, just people making money in a bubble.

Nowadays there's that terrible 'Extreme Home Makeover' show (wifey loves it), one hour of idiotic drama with some spiky haired ass talking about how amazing some family is, and basically just handing them over an upgraded home. Wonder how long these amazing families last with the bills and upkeep on these upgraded homes before they have to sell.

Who are the hero's in today's action films? Jake 'brokeback' Gyllenhall? Shia Lebouf? Who were they back in the day? Schwarzenegger, Eastwood, McQueen.

Another one: Back in the day we had Jeopardy. 30 minutes of real smart people answering tough questions about the humanities, classics, science, etc. Subjects a well-educated person was expected to know. The smartest and quickest would win around $40,000 a show.

Before the 2008 crash there was 'The Weakest Link', where they dumbed down the questions and players got ahead by screwing each other over.

After 2008, 'Who wants to be a Millionaire" became the most popular game show. Pointless questions on useless trivia - pop music, reality stars and whatnot. But the grand prize is $1,000,000, for completely random, useless knowledge. What's the message - you can get ahead even without putting in real sweat.

So the question isn't 'what's up with American television'. It's 'what's up with American society'?

Welcome to the club. I've been talking about this shit for months.

It's getting worse and worse.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-7189.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14034.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13844.html

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Roosh - I stopped watching television back in the early 2000's. So, I missed out on the entire current wave of comedy series (for example, when I stopped watching sitcoms pretty much all still had laugh tracks) and reality shows.

Your observations are 100% accurate. I tried watching some of the top sitcoms today. Shows like the Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family. Couldn't believe my eyes, almost every single male character is effeminate and gay-sounding. The odd exceptions are there as anachronisms to be ultimately tamed by the series conclusion.

But then you have shows about young girls. For example: Two Broke Girls. The two female characters of the show take every nasty trait found in your typical 20-something year old American chick and multiply it. The brunette with the big knockers acts like a guy, specifically like a douche-bag frat boy.

It's weird. On American television girls act like guys and guys all act like homosexuals. And then you have the rapid proliferation of gay characters normalizing a culture that values women and queers but not heterosexual men.

Quote: (10-06-2012 07:00 PM)Sabra Wrote:  

Just a reflection of the direction of society.

Back in the day, there was 'This Old House'. No b.s., just good, practical info on home repair.

Before the economy crashed in 2008, 'This Old House' was replaced by those 'home-flipping' shows where everyone all of a sudden was a real estate genius and contractor, and was 'flipping houses' in a week or two and getting rich quick. No real renovation knowledge, just people making money in a bubble.

Nowadays there's that terrible 'Extreme Home Makeover' show (wifey loves it), one hour of idiotic drama with some spiky haired ass talking about how amazing some family is, and basically just handing them over an upgraded home. Wonder how long these amazing families last with the bills and upkeep on these upgraded homes before they have to sell.

Who are the hero's in today's action films? Jake 'brokeback' Gyllenhall? Shia Lebouf? Who were they back in the day? Schwarzenegger, Eastwood, McQueen.

Another one: Back in the day we had Jeopardy. 30 minutes of real smart people answering tough questions about the humanities, classics, science, etc. Subjects a well-educated person was expected to know. The smartest and quickest would win around $40,000 a show.

Before the 2008 crash there was 'The Weakest Link', where they dumbed down the questions and players got ahead by screwing each other over.

After 2008, 'Who wants to be a Millionaire" became the most popular game show. Pointless questions on useless trivia - pop music, reality stars and whatnot. But the grand prize is $1,000,000, for completely random, useless knowledge. What's the message - you can get ahead even without putting in real sweat.

So the question isn't 'what's up with American television'. It's 'what's up with American society'?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Since I was a kid, I was always a fan of cop shows, but besides Southland there aren't any that I can watch anymore.

One of the biggest things that bugged when I was watching shows like Law & Order SVU or Criminal Minds was the ridiculousness of some of the situations with women detective or agents.

Some even made me laugh at the sillyness. Example: Mariska Hargitay's character on SVU. She's easily mid 40's, perhaps older. Yet in dress shoes she can rundown a sprinting male teenager. Come on, an athletic male cop would have trouble doing that. And certainly as a woman, she was never fast enough in her entire life to do this.

Or the revenge factor. Where a female FBI agent on CM would rush into the house -- of course after SWAT and other male agents cleared the area and rough up a male suspect and basically act like a tough guy badass.

Maybe that's why there is a trend in society I hear lately. Whenever a situation is described where some man supposedly wrongs a woman - all these women commentators are saying, "I would have kicked his ass" or "I hate men like that. I would have beat him senseless."

I always think: "Uh, no you wouldn't. The average man, no matter what you cupcakes see on TV, would get pummeled. And a tough, mean chick, is in no way a turn on. It's an embarassment."