rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do you feel too old for hostelling?

I'm 33. While I've had little problem on my last trip finding at least a couple mature people to hang with, I think I am getting to the age where I'm feeling a bit out of place as "youth" hostels.

For the guy traveling alone and on a budget, you can't beat hostels as far as price and ease of quickly meeting new people to eat, drink, tour and socialize with. Plus hostels girls are often way easier to hook up with than the local women, or maybe you're in a place(like Bolivia) where you don't bother with the local women anyhow.

I've stayed in hotels before when hostels were booked and found it a lonely way to travel, though I enjoyed the clean, private bathroom.

For the older guys, those over 30 or rapidly approaching 30, what are our options? Most of us can no longer relate to the 22 year old Brits and Israelis looking to get trashed and party 24/7. Yet paying minimum $50 a night for a hotel makes extended travel unfeasible. Has anyone figured this out? Couch surfing?

"Do you feel too old for hostelling?"

Yep.

But then again, I was over hostels, more or less at age 22. (Not trying to be a flash bastard here, but its the truth. I did however do a lot of hard core camping and bungalow type travel on the beach in Central America till like age 25).

"what are our options?"

For extended travel, I think the best option is apartments.

Or even better, getting the keys to a Mansion from some cat that owes you a favor.

Depends ln the kind of hostel you stay

i have stayed at some amazing party hostels although i avoid hostel hookups generally and collect local flags instead

also, why would not count bolivia? I just left bolivia today and i hooked up with a cute bolivian chick in sucre

there are a good amount of cute bolivian girls in sucre

Ps the answer to your original question is no (and i am older than you). Just chill with fellow travelers, warm up your social vibe or use them as social proof if you go out together and then pick up local girls more your own age.

Thats what i do

If "age" is the only reservation you have about it, I think there are enough upsides to make it a good option (still).

If you stay in a place longer term though, look into temporary apartments. For instance, in Buenos Aires there is a huge supply.

For my longterm trips (2weeks +) I can find better deals renting an apartment or house. I also feel like it is a much better situation if you want to bring a chic back.

I have considered hosteling for my next trip that will last 10 days. In my 33 years I have never hosteled however, I am very curious if the girls are really that easy that stay there.

"although i avoid hostel hookups generally and collect local flags instead"

Honestly, one of the main reasons why I shunned hostels was because I always try to swoop the local girls of the countries I am in.

I have always felt it had more style and was more "artistic" to swoop local girls than swooping traveler girls. And I always felt hostels were a liability with local girls.

That being said, I typically do not travel for extended periods and multiple countries like Lumiere, so I can see the appeal for a trip like his.

Plus, traveler guys are kooks. (Sure there are exceptions to the rule).

And I like to avoid other americans at all costs.

Those shared rooms hold zero appeal for me as well. Even as a young cub.

Quote: (01-20-2010 08:01 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Those shared rooms hold zero appeal for me as well. Even as a young cub.

Yeah, i was never into those bunkhouse style accommodations either.

Again, it depends where you travel, but if $ are a factor, in a lot of places in S. America you can go one rung up and find a "pension" type of arrangement, that has private rooms, but is basically in the same range as a hostel in terms of costs. I have met local girls in those places too. Now that I think of it, a lot of those places are basically hostels for locals.

I think B&B and pensions are a better option.
In my case, I have been in hostels only when I had no other choice, I like having my own place and not sharing bathroom and stuff, I love hotels and I have lived in hotels for long stays some times when it made sense.

Of course is more expensive, but for me worth it, specially to swoop quality girls, let's face it, if you tell them you are in a hotel, they might not like the idea of a hook up with you because you are short term, but at the same time, other types of girls will prefer you exactly for that reason.

I rented a place in a pension in Budapest that was really nice and there were rooms there for people more in "hostel" style, but I rented the appartmet of the house, which was a fairly big, nice one. So I had the advantage of being able to meet "hostel" girls there but the privacy and almost hotel like quality of my appartment in that house.

B&B all over Europe and starting to catch countries in Central and South America are more your solution.

BTW, it seems 33 year olds is the age of the grown G cat! I am 33 as well heheh and I am swooping like i never did when I was fitter (even more) and more youthful looking.

Quote: (01-20-2010 10:27 PM)lilactag Wrote:  

I rented a place in a pension in Budapest that was really nice and there were rooms there for people more in "hostel" style, but I rented the appartmet of the house, which was a fairly big, nice one. So I had the advantage of being able to meet "hostel" girls there but the privacy and almost hotel like quality of my appartment in that house.

I guess that's kind of like getting a private room in a hostel, but I find the private rooms to be as expensive as hotels. Okay if for quick stint, but a bit too much for extended travel.

My Spanish grandfather died at the age of 82. At his funeral, appeared a young woman about 19 crying over his resting place. We learned shortly after that she was his lover! But wait! That's not the worst; she was also pregnant by my grandpa! No, he was not Rich by any means! He was just a smooth player from the old school days!

Point: you are never to old to bang any girl (over 18 of course) anywhere! My grandaddy sure as hell did not feel old! So keep that hostel puntang coming!!!! As long as she's legal age, she's getting swooped! [Image: smile.gif] I'm 35! And i hope to have another 50 years of banging left in me!

Quote: (01-20-2010 11:14 PM)armanid27 Wrote:  

My Spanish grandfather died at the age of 82. At his funeral, appeared a young woman about 19 crying over his resting place. We learned shortly after that she was his lover! But wait! That's not the worst; she was also pregnant by my grandpa! No, he was not Rich by any means! He was just a smooth player from the old school days!

Point: you are never to old to bang any girl (over 18 of course) anywhere! My grandaddy sure as hell did not feel old! So keep that hostel puntang coming!!!! As long as she's legal age, she's getting swooped! [Image: smile.gif] I'm 35! And i hope to have another 50 years of banging left in me!

Lololololol.

Mine still alive, his like 71. The other day he was telling me and my brother how his new girlfriend was lousy in the sack. That shit even embaressed us. My grandmother died 8 years ago, she was a saint.
He´s the kind of guy who always have a comb on his pocket. My mother says he was a dandy in his age, and he always weared white shirts.

When I was moving from place to place a lot in SE Asia, I liked to spend my first night in a new locale in a dorm in a social hostel. After putting my bag down, I'd walk around and negotiate for a private room nearby (easier to get good deals when you aren't looking tired with that big bag). I found it to be a good compromise between hostel and private room: you meet some other travelers and hostel staff on the first night and then have the option for privacy after without breaking the bank too much.

Spend as much time as you can with those old-school cats.

Many guys these days have no connection to the old-school.

Don't let the chain break.

Quote: (01-20-2010 07:08 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

For extended travel, I think the best option is apartments.

Yeah, I've found that apartments can be even nicer than hotels for less money. Our apartment in Medellin had granite countertops, wood floors, 3 bathrooms, huge balcony, and more. Also, often the minimum stay at temp apartments is 3 or 4 nights.

However its still not quite budget traveling. You gotta find a friend or 2 that are able to take time off to travel. Cuts you expenses WAY down.

YES!! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!!

Who the fuck up there said something about staying at a hostel and using the hostel chicks as social proof so you can bang local chicks "more your own age"?!! FUCK THAT SHIT. I'm 27, so I'm not "old" by any means, but I would TOTALLY bang a hot 18 year old now, and I can almost guarantee you I'd bang a hot 18 year old when I'm 90!

Unless you're in your late teens or early 20's, why the FUCK would you want to bang a girl your own age?! Why would you bang a 30 year old when you can not only get a hot, tight, little 19 year old ass right now, but you can get it EASIER than you could at 19 because being older is an advantage for men?! It works exactly the opposite for men than it does with women: the older you get, the more attractive you get (in general, there ARE exceptions to this), whereas women get more UNattractive as they get older, and younger girls always have and always will find older guys more attractive due to their increased maturity, experience, and social status: TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS.

I have written on this subject before.

One of the Many Reasons South Beach is Dope: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2008/04/one...-dope.html

All depends on your budget.

I used hostels when I was younger, had a lot more patience, and was on a shoe-string budget. Highlights included banging a hot European blonde in the toilet while everyone else (including her boyfriend) was sleeping in the dormitory hall. Lowlights included having to put up arrogant mauricinho pricks from Porto Alegre (Brazil) who I felt like sticking a shank into.

Nowadays, it's only private apartments for me. And, I'm usually creative enough to set up invitations to private parties (or organizing my own mixers) before I arrive into a new city. To be honest, I think even mainstream clubs/bars get tiresome after a certain age when you can get higher quality women, vouched-for status (i.e. "warm" approaches), and riff-raff control by attending private/semi-private events.

Quote: (01-21-2010 04:07 AM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

Nowadays, it's only private apartments for me. And, I'm usually creative enough to set up invitations to private parties (or organizing my own mixers) before I arrive into a new city. To be honest, I think even mainstream clubs/bars get tiresome after a certain age when you can get higher quality women, vouched-for status (i.e. "warm" approaches), and riff-raff control by attending private/semi-private events.

If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit on what you do to set up your social connections prior to arriving. Maybe some examples if possible. This could be great info for the guys here.

Quote: (01-21-2010 05:21 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (01-21-2010 04:07 AM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit on what you do to set up your social connections prior to arriving. Maybe some examples if possible. This could be great info for the guys here.

The way I usually do it is this --

I always have a few fun projects I'm working on. Whether these projects come into fruition is not really that important (although I do try to make them happen).

The important aspect is that these projects give me a certain purpose for being at a given place, and puts me in touch with the kinds of people I'd like to meet up with.

For example, my project may be to get a bunch of fashion designer friends together and organize a small alternative fashion show using local models (this is just an example off the top of my head). I'll first send out an e-mail to everyone in my contact list saying that I'll be going to say, KIEV, and if anyone has friends there who has contacts in the fashion/modeling industry in the Ukraine that I could meet up with to help make this happen.

The nice thing about small ponds (at least, smaller ponds than the US or UK) is that it's not all that hard to get in touch with the right people assuming you have some amount of social skills and credibility.

Assuming I get a few local contacts, I'll send them an e-mail, tell them my story, and say I'll be throwing a private party at my flat to get to know people in the fashion/modeling scene. Tell them to bring friends. "The more, the merrier." I'll usually get a nice flat in a posh part of the city, fill it up with nice food and champaigne/drinks, then meet everyone involved. Mention the address (most people in developing countries know a 'money address' when they see it) and mention the champaigne (women love champaigne and never say no to it).

Make a good impression. Get the digits. Ideally, they'll invite you to other events they happen to be attending that night or weekend. And now you're in. Forget the tourist-ridden shithole bar. Forget the mainstream clubs having to deal with bitch shields while shouting in a girl's ear who can't even understand what you're saying. You're on a different level now.

I've been always old to hostels. I will not share my bathroom. Period.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Quote: (01-21-2010 01:08 AM)Shaman Wrote:  

YES!! FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!!

Who the fuck up there said something about staying at a hostel and using the hostel chicks as social proof so you can bang local chicks "more your own age"?!! FUCK THAT SHIT. I'm 27, so I'm not "old" by any means, but I would TOTALLY bang a hot 18 year old now, and I can almost guarantee you I'd bang a hot 18 year old when I'm 90!

Unless you're in your late teens or early 20's, why the FUCK would you want to bang a girl your own age?! Why would you bang a 30 year old when you can not only get a hot, tight, little 19 year old ass right now, but you can get it EASIER than you could at 19 because being older is an advantage for men?! It works exactly the opposite for men than it does with women: the older you get, the more attractive you get (in general, there ARE exceptions to this), whereas women get more UNattractive as they get older, and younger girls always have and always will find older guys more attractive due to their increased maturity, experience, and social status: TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS.

The bar has been set really high in my family for the men. The only way I can top my grandpa is to live to be 100, and leave an 18 year old with twins! I'm preparing myself for that - hence I read Bang, became a great dancer, and joined this forum! :-)

You're not too old for a hostel if you can put up with the downsides (shared bathrooms, putting up with people coming in and out at all hours of the night). I generally avoid hostels because I really dislike 'backpackers', but I just completed a month-long trip where I had a few layover nights in different cities. I stayed at hostels because I didn't want to spring for a hotel room in a city that I'd only be in for 12-15 hours (and it's easier to meet people in hostels). Nothing annoyed me more than old people complaining about others turning the lights on or making noise at 2 in the morning -- as if they were entitled to a restful, peaceful night's sleep for the massive sum of 10 euros they shelled out.

I don't think age is important here; it's expectations of comfort. And you should have very low expectations of comfort in a hostel.

I have been staying in luxury hostels in s america

many with swimming pools, bars even some with their own dj

@kindrid

Sounds like you have taken it to another level. Surely some food for thought.