rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to reply to: "What do you do?"

I could have sworn there was a thread dedicated to this, but I couldn't find it through search.

Ever have milestones in your game where you feel like you've cracked the code a little bit more? I had that last night with the "What do you do?" question girls inevitably ask. I've tried numerous variations. I've delayed my response but eventually given in before, I've told them outright, I've lied and done the whole, "I'm an NBA player", "I'm a rocket scientist", "I'm a Lego engineer" "I'm an ass model".

I never got the responses that other guys have apparently, maybe it was in my delivery. But the response is never all that great. I might illicit a giggle with the preposterous answers. When I'm sincere and tell them what I really do, they're certainly receptive and we'll have a nice conversation about the topic, which doesn't build any attraction. Overall I've felt like this question presents a road block which, even in the best case scenario, still slows down the attraction process and I have to make some sort of diversion or recovery.

Several times in the past two weeks I've answered with:
"I don't feel like telling you what I do."
"I can't talk about what I do."
"I'm not at liberty to discuss that."
"Nah, there are better things to talk about."

We're talking flat-out, NO. You will not know what I do for a living and you will deal with it. Last night I had two separate groups of girls hounding me for half an hour about what I do, and I didn't give in. It gave me a great opportunity to drop bait like, "What I do is pretty interesting, but there are far more interesting things about me." It gave me a lot of freedom to cover a lot of different topics, to portray myself as a much more interesting and multifaceted person that these girls wanted to know more about. With the direct-refusal method, I felt like I was finally using the "What do you do?" scenario to my advantage, instead of it being a road block, and adding value and attraction, and setting the tone for the following interactions for the rest of the night.

I should also mention I looked pretty sharp last night. I don't know if the direct-refusal method would work if you were in jeans and a tshirt. She might assume you're unemployed, which is fine too but might hurt your chances if you're in an upscale venue.

Both groups of girls asked at various points if I was an actor, a model, or if I just "had money". My answers were vague, along the lines of "Maybe" "Sure" "Something like that" "I don't know" "I do what I love" etc...

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

My best response:

Girl: So, what do you do?

Me: You mean, like, for work or for fun?? <<with a perplexed look on my face.

I've never had one girl ever choose work but of course it comes up later in the conversation. I usually say I'm a 'hand model' before talking about my real job.

If I'm in Bangkok: "I train Judo." because they wont know what Jiu Jitsu is.

If I'm in California: "I train Jiu Jitsu and live in Bangkok." "OMG! You like, live in a foreign country?!! That's so cool! blaahahha blah blah."

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14142-...#pid232405

in the end, it doesn't matter, the girl just wants to get to know you. it's just honest question. fighting to answer for too long just makes it weird and lame.

Quote:Quote:

When I'm sincere and tell them what I really do, they're certainly receptive and we'll have a nice conversation about the topic, which doesn't build any attraction
it's not suppose to build attraction. it's just a job. if you have a career that's something different. but job is a job. she asks, you tease, she ask again, you tell her and change topic and lead convo in desired direction. if it can't be used to spike her emotions there's no stay at the job topic

Overall I've felt like this question presents a road block which, even in the best case scenario, still slows down the attraction process and I have to make some sort of diversion or recovery.
how can that slow down the process? a girl will not sleep with you until she gets to know you a bit. this question is just a checkpoint.

Quote: (08-23-2012 02:45 PM)XXL Wrote:  

in the end, it doesn't matter, the girl just wants to get to know you. it's just honest question. fighting to answer for too long just makes it weird and lame.

When I'm sincere and tell them what I really do, they're certainly receptive and we'll have a nice conversation about the topic, which doesn't build any attraction
it's not suppose to build attraction. it's just a job. if you have a career that's something different. but job is a job. she asks, you tease, she ask again, you tell her and change topic and lead convo in desired direction. if it can't be used to spike her emotions there's no stay at the job topic

Overall I've felt like this question presents a road block which, even in the best case scenario, still slows down the attraction process and I have to make some sort of diversion or recovery.
how can that slow down the process? a girl will not sleep with you until she gets to know you a bit. this question is just a checkpoint.

I disagree. I'm a chef at a pretty upscale semi-private restaurant. Sounds like great DHV right? Wrong. I can navigate with that tired script for hours, talking about favorite restaurants, places I've travelled, my favorite dish to make, the "What do you like for breakfast?" line. Trust me, it's tired, and it's still a process of ME dropping bait on THEM, which still falls in line with ME trying to get THEM to bite.

From my recent experience, my refusal to discuss the topic completely flips the dynamic to THEM getting something out of ME. Now I have the upper hand, I have something they want. You make the question sound like an innocuous desire to get to know me, but it's not. 1) it's an uncreative way for women to make idle conversation. 2) once they have their answer, it creates zero interest or attraction, no matter how cool your job is.

You say that discussing career is not supposed to build attraction. I'm not really sure where to begin with that, but let's just leave it at I couldn't disagree more. To me, every interaction, every sentence, every gesture with a woman should be about building attraction.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

It depends.If you want to be funny you can say:
-My main job is a pimp.Are you interested in recruiting?
-I usually sell snakes(Greek expression for telling lies).
-I am a sailor who just got a day off and I am looking for bourdels.
-I work at funerals.My limousine with the old guy is parked close.
-I am a gigolo.My preference only to MILFs though.
-I am a hired gun.Now you are my alibi.
-I am a spy working for the government but I need a girl to seduce high ranking officials.
-I sell cocks and dildos.
-I am a coal miner but my mine collapsed when I lit a cigarette there.
-I make money out of secret bath cameras.
-I am his butler.(you show your friend).
-I take bets for chicken fights
-I am the personal pilot of the Bahrein Sheikh
-I milk cows in my father's farm
-I am proffessional backgammon player
-I am a card thief
etc

Someone on my Twitter had an interesting answer:

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

https://twitter.com/BlackAlphaMale/statu...7782405120

If it's a young girl (hell, probably most women) during night game, tease her.

"What do you do?"
"You mean for money? Or for fun?"
"Yeah like your job."
"Isn't that kinda a first-date question? (crack a smirk) Why don't we talk about fun things first before you figure out if I'll be your sugar daddy."

Obviously you need to have a fun vibe going in to this question... if you're the ultra serious guy this probably won't work for you. Or maybe it will. Every girl I've said this to laughs. Especially if her friends are around.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (08-23-2012 02:58 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I disagree. I'm a chef at a pretty upscale semi-private restaurant. Sounds like great DHV right? Wrong. I can navigate with that tired script for hours, talking about favorite restaurants, places I've travelled, my favorite dish to make, the "What do you like for breakfast?" line. Trust me, it's tired, and it's still a process of ME dropping bait on THEM, which still falls in line with ME trying to get THEM to bite.
it can be DHV (or DLV) depending how you talk about it. once you start impressing it will always fail.

From my recent experience, my refusal to discuss the topic completely flips the dynamic to THEM getting something out of ME. Now I have the upper hand, I have something they want.
it's cause you tease them which spieks their emotions

1) it's an uncreative way for women to make idle conversation
who cares

2) once they have their answer, it creates zero interest or attraction, no matter how cool your job is.
of course, simply dropping the name of jour job creates zero attraction, it's logical thing. like i'd say "i'm accountant, i'm good at numbers", how does that suppose to create attraction? it can't. does that make them feel anything? no. the name of regular job itself doesn't do anything. however you can spike it up a bit if you talk creatively (check my link again) about your job to arouse girl's imagination and engage her emotionally.

so either learn to talk passionatelly about your job and engage her in that convo or just tell them straight up and change topic.

You say that discussing career is not supposed to build attraction. I'm not really sure where to begin with that, but let's just leave it at I couldn't disagree more. To me, every interaction, every sentence, every gesture with a woman should be about building attraction.
well i guess you haven't read what i wrote after all. career is quite cool topic to talk about, it's exciting, it's easy to talk about it in a fun way. but regular job? a job is a job. and it's logical thing, it doesn't hit her inside like some kind of tease or a compliment or a diss.

you're right, interaction is about building attraction. and how do you build attraction? by engaging them emotionally, by making them experience wide/contrasting range of emotions.

For your typical boring government DC cubicle job:

"I work for Barack Obama."

That's all she gets.

IDK why people seem to struggle with this this question it seems like it should be like batting practice for everyone.

Really the only "bad" answer is the whole truth, and even that doesn't apply if you have a cool or interesting job.

What I do nowadays is a form of damage control - I tell them the truth straight up and confidently like I have no issues with it, then I change the subject as soon as I can without appearing furtive. Get it over and done with and get back to laying down some attraction game.

you're right sir, you DHV yourself by dealing with shittests and leading the interaction. mind that i'm talking about hotties. you can't pull any schtick, there's always a guy around her who's better looking than you, with more money than you, with cooler lifestyle than you. yet what they usually lack is good GAME and BALLS, and thats your ticket to some pussy.

i see here that guys have unrealistic expectations. you gotta be chris rock to truly DHV yourself by talking about job/career. by the time you're not, focus on proper game and talking your job as a way to her pants becomes irrelevant.

I tell them the truth straight up and confidently like I have no issues with it, then I change the subject as soon as I can without appearing furtive. Get it over and done with and get back to laying down some attraction game. I'm sure you can spike her emotions with your answer, or go on an involving tirade about how interesting the degree you're studying is, but compare that to say talking about another interest of yours seems less risky to me
that's the best way dude, congrats. own yourself, it's obvious that you're current job is not for life, girls only care about your POTENTIAL and PASSION aka where you're going. it's not some feel good shit, it's real as fuck, as long as you got direction in life and she sees that it's all good.

"I do absolutely nothing"

Quote: (08-23-2012 04:10 PM)XXL Wrote:  

it can be DHV (or DLV) depending how you talk about it. once you start impressing it will always fail.

From my recent experience, my refusal to discuss the topic completely flips the dynamic to THEM getting something out of ME. Now I have the upper hand, I have something they want.
it's cause you tease them which spieks their emotions

1) it's an uncreative way for women to make idle conversation
who cares

2) once they have their answer, it creates zero interest or attraction, no matter how cool your job is.
of course, simply dropping the name of jour job creates zero attraction, it's logical thing. like i'd say "i'm accountant, i'm good at numbers", how does that suppose to create attraction? it can't. does that make them feel anything? no. the name of regular job itself doesn't do anything. however you can spike it up a bit if you talk creatively (check my link again) about your job to arouse girl's imagination and engage her emotionally.

so either learn to talk passionatelly about your job and engage her in that convo or just tell them straight up and change topic.

well i guess you haven't read what i wrote after all. career is quite cool topic to talk about, it's exciting, it's easy to talk about it in a fun way. but regular job? a job is a job. and it's logical thing, it doesn't hit her inside like some kind of tease or a compliment or a diss.

you're right, interaction is about building attraction. and how do you build attraction? by engaging them emotionally, by making them experience wide/contrasting range of emotions.

All of your arguments are based on calibration. What I was attempting to convey in the OP is that I've tried the "common cure" for this classic shit test. Usually what's prescribed for "What do you do" is everything you've mentioned. Whether you're handing out false, preposterous professions, or you're being completely honest and presenting yourself passionately and inspiring her emotions, you are correct that it's all about leading the interaction. Not what you say, but how you say it. I get all of that.

What I'M saying is those things didn't work for me, at least not the way I wanted. I've inspired plenty of interest by my career and talking about it, I've wound up in long conversations with women that started out talking about my career, but I've never really had an interaction that satisfied me until I started up with the tactic that I mention in the above post. There could be a million reasons for this. Maybe I subconsciously I don't like talking about work and girls pick up on this, who knows. I'd need an experienced player to wing it and give me some feedback.

The game that I'm cultivating more and more is to change the interest dynamic. For me, bait works better for day game. At night, cultivating a sense of mystery and not revealing details about myself has been working incredibly well for me. I'm telling you outright: the results are in. You can tell me all you want what works for you or go back to "general game advice for men." Been there, done that. The point of the OP, and I think the forum in general, is to share successes and failures and show what other options are available in case someone else hits a roadblock, now they have something to try so they can tailor and calibrate their game further.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

I just live life, man.

"I'm a skee-ball instructor training the first US Olympic Skeeball Team for Rio 2016"

Next time a girl says:

"What do you do"
[Image: 392203510_yDzUF-L.jpg]

Say:

"You"

"I smack toddlers in McDonalds."
"Profesor de soldados."
"Senior profesor de Espanol."
"Profesor de electronicas y mechanias."
"Mercenario."
"Profesor de cocina."

And my personal favorite;
"Yo soy un Tigre!" (stolen from patron)[Image: angel.gif]

lately for "what do you do?" i say i work at willy wonka's chocolate factory and manage the oompa loompas.

for "where are you from?" i say that in west philadelphia i was born and raised, on the playground is where i spent most of my days, etc. lol

My all-time favorite is "I satisfy women...well it's more of a hobby really." I think I got it from someone on here a couple years back.

The important part is not what you do. So just be honest. The important part is how you feel about your job. She wants to see that you totally own your job, you love it, it's a stable job, and you're perfectly comfortable in your work. That can be true if you're a surgeon, a police officer, a garbage man, an independent writer, a court reporter, etc. At the margins, yes, it can be hard to be proud about working at 7-11, but even that can be spun the right way.

So whatever your job is, if you hate it, just lie and say you love it.

By either giving a false answer, or by avoiding the question, you suggest that you're uncomfortable with your job, which is the wrong answer. So I suspect that it does more harm than good. But I'm not an expert. I'm just a big believer in never feeling embarrassed around women.

I usually waste the opportunities given by the question, and just briefly explain what I do, and then change the subject, but a few times I've used remarks similar to these:

Q: What do you do for a living?

A: I do a few things. A little cosmetic surgery, a little corporate law, a little surfboard instruction. And odd jobs. My last project was helping out with some bridge engineering for a project in Taiwan. A few newspapers publish my advice column. I guess you could say I’m a dabbler.

Q: Ha ha. No, really. What’s your job?

A: Are you saying you don’t believe me? Ok, maybe not ALL those things. Mostly I clean toilets.

Q: Ewww! Come on. Be serious!

A: (Pause until she speaks again, holding eye contact.)

Q: I’m trying to get to know you. Don’t be so evasive!

A: Well, I don’t tell just anyone what my real job is. Maybe later.

Q: (Looks at watch) Ok. It’s later.

A: I sell fake passports. (look at her sideways as if judging her reaction to see if she’ll turn you in, look sideways to see if anyone was listening) No! No! Just kidding!

Q: Really?

A: Well, it’s a little embarassing, but if you MUST know, I seduce young rich women and get them to give me a monthly allowance.

Q: Oh, come on!

A: Na, not really. That would be unethical. I train cruise ship employees how to seduce the older women. Ya, I bet you didn’t know that’s part of cruise ship employment training nowadays, did you?

Q: Ha ha ha. I’m not going to give up you know!

A: Really? You must really be interested in me.

Q: Mr. Big Head! You just got me curious, that’s all.

A: My job? You mean right now? I’d say my job is to get you drunk.

Quote: (08-26-2012 09:19 AM)party1981 Wrote:  

The important part is not what you do. So just be honest. The important part is how you feel about your job. She wants to see that you totally own your job, you love it, it's a stable job, and you're perfectly comfortable in your work. That can be true if you're a surgeon, a police officer, a garbage man, an independent writer, a court reporter, etc. At the margins, yes, it can be hard to be proud about working at 7-11, but even that can be spun the right way.

So whatever your job is, if you hate it, just lie and say you love it.

By either giving a false answer, or by avoiding the question, you suggest that you're uncomfortable with your job, which is the wrong answer. So I suspect that it does more harm than good. But I'm not an expert. I'm just a big believer in never feeling embarrassed around women.

I agree and disagree with this. If you're working at a 7-11 and you end up talking to a girl about it for half an hour it's going to be really hard to spin it so it doesn't do you a disservice. I think just be honest, don't be insecure about it, don't try to justify why you have that job, and move on as quickly as possible without sounding like you want to avoid the topic. What I do is when I want to leave the topic I tag an extra comment about my 'job' on the end of what I've just said and use that as a jump-off point to another topic. Seems natural, I'm leading the conversation and it looks like I'm not insecure because I'm willing to talk more about my 'job' (the extra comment). So you're right - don't be embarrassed about it around women, but recognise your time and effort would be better spent in talking about something else to get you laid.

That said if you're in there specifically to improve your game and your frame control by all means try to spin the fact that you work at a 7-11 [Image: smile.gif]

I started telling people I was a falconer.

Not even in a "game" way; I just got so sick of the fucking question. I just spent sixty hours "doing" what I fucking "do" and now I'm trying to enjoy a beer in my hairsbreadth of free time and you're making me think about the merciless glare of the computer screen; my cruel, sniveling boss; the phone constantly ringing with bullshit every two god damn seconds so that even in my dreams I hear the bleating of that ringer like the call of some horrible demon bird. It's the first question boring people ask every single motherfucking conversation and it's rude. So I gave them a bullshit outlandish answer as a way of telling them to fuck off for even asking.

But the girls always believed me. They would get excited and intrigued and ask engaged follow up questions, way more than they would about my actual job, which is as a weenie Hollywood "development executive." Even though my real job is supposed to get you laid (it does not). So I kept padding it out. I am genuinely interested in falcons. In raptors at large. Nothing delights me more than seeing a kestrel alight on a fence post. Than seeing a mating pair of goshawks performing aerial acrobatics together. Where I'm from seeing a red tailed hawk waiting on the phone lines for a squirrel to get run over is a red letter day so the embarrassment of riches w/r/t falcons, hawks, owls and eagles here in SoCal has been a great boon to me. I would regale the girls with knowledge about these birds.

I told them I skipped college to apprentice under a falconer who handled birds for films and TV and that now that's how I earn a living myself. How it's not a calling I would recommend to young upstarts because of the crushing regulatory and licensing burdens imposed by the California Fish and Game Commission and the art is dying anyway, at least in movies, because most birds you see now are computer generated. How, when invariably asked if they might have seen any of my work, that I did some scenes in the Harry Potter films with my snowy owl "Cracker" filmed against green screen at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank; that "Cracker" portrayed Harry Potter's beloved owl "Hedwig" in certain key scenes. To a one, they had had a tearful response to the death of Hedwig in the films. I jokingly comforted them with the knowledge that the "real" Hedwig was very much alive and had enjoyed a dinner of live rats the previous evening at my rookery in Calabasas. In reality, it would be pretty cruel to keep a snowy owl built for the Arctic in a shed out in the fucking desert where it gets to be 115 degrees. "Cracker" was part of a clutch mothered by an owl removed from Logan airport in Boston, in my story, because I had seen a newscast in my youth about how a family of snowy owls lived on the runway there. They helped keep it free of pigeons and other vermin. I felt the need to explain how I had attained a snowy owl.

They asked, always, if the birds were like pets to me. Of course they were not; a bird of prey is solitary for its whole life except for three or four months where they fuck and then share a little bit of parental responsibility. Otherwise they are monomaniacally dedicated to scaring their kinsmen off their hunting patch. The best you can hope for is kind of a detente with them where they won't actively try to rip your face off. I was pleased to learn later from a reddit AMA about falconry that this is essentially correct.

Girls absolutely ate up every motherfucking second of this line of bullshit about being a falconer. They would pull other girls aside and introduce me and say "hey, this guy's a falconer blah blah blah Harry Potter" and they would invite me to come with them to the next party and get my number and generally react as though I had told them that I was Sufyan Stevens. Or howeverthefuck you spell it. But part of the big falconry lie was that I lived on some piece of cheap property way outside of town where I maintained fields and sheds for my birds and so I never figured out how to bridge the lie with the reality of taking them back to my one bedroom apartment right up the street. Plus, you know, lying. Lying to get pussy. Never sat right with me. So I would end up trying to let them down easy, tell them: "you know I'm not actually a falconer, right?" Some of them laughed it off but a bunch of them clearly felt really fucking dumb and I felt bad.

Anyway, if I ever have a son, I'm gonna take him out to some cliff and steal a haggard from a nest and get him running around with a hooded bird on a gauntlet like the cover of that Roxy music album. Falconry is apparently the most ass-getting gig in the world.

delicioustacos.com