rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Helsinki, Finland Datasheet

Helsinki, the Capital of Finland, is a 600 000 people city located in Southern Finland on the coast of the Gulf of Finland. It is also the world's second northernmost capital of a sovereign state after Reykjavik, Iceland. Thus it is in about the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska, with similar climate during winter but a bit warmer summer temperatures. Generally one should be prepared for anything between -25°C to +25°C or from -15°F to 80°F.

It's hard to rate women from native's point of view but in my opinion most of the girls up here are decent 5 to 7 with some 1/50 being 8s or better. Finland is very homogeneous; only 3,4 % of the population are foreigners and of these most are from Estonia, Russia and Sweden. Most people speak almost fluent English but also Swedish (mandatory for historical reasons) with less people speaking German, French and Russian. Finnish studies will tell us that the average height of Finnish women in their 20s and 30s in Southern Finland is 168 cm or 5' 6". Although I know about the normal distribution, I swear there are fewer really tall women here than in neighbouring countries.

The Finnish mindset is a bit like the U.S. Military "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. There is no such thing as small talk in Finnish culture or in Finnish language and we will make continous jokes about the differences between Finnish and Swedish way of leadership, look into Management by Perkele. One would think there would be more Finnish alfa males but the truth is that while there are many alfa males in the business life, the traditional way of partly arranged marriages used to in enforce still around a hundred years ago. Thus we have a lot of males who make a lot of money and own a cabin or two in the lake country but struggle with the women.

The general consensus among Finnish males is that foreigners will do greatly with Finnish women if they only have looks different from the general Finnish male population (e.g. darker skin). Knowing few words of Finnish do not hurt, on the contrary! I do not personally know such persons so it is really hard for me to say if this is true or not.

DO NOT COME TO HELSINKI:
- On Midsummer weekend when everybody are at their cabins.
- On any other time of the year but summer. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Typical prices:
- 95 octane petrol = 1.6 € / litre or $7.7 per U.S. gallon
- A pint in a bar = 10-20 € / litre or $13 - $25 per litre.
- A cup of coffee at a cafe = c. 2 € or $2.5.
- A lunch dish at a restaurant = 6-9 € or $7.5 - $11.5.

Transportation:

Most of the visitors arrive by plane to Helsinki-Vantaa Airport actually located at the neighbouring city of Vantaa. Before the train connection is finished in few years, you'll have only few choices to reach Helsinki city centre: a taxi, a bus or a bus to the train station. I'm recommending Bus 615 which will be much cheaper than taking a taxi (4,5€ vs. 25€) and the same price as taking a bus to the train station and then a train to the centre.

You can also take a ferry from Stockholm, Sweden, Tallinn, Estonia or St. Petersburg, Russia. The overnight ferries are well-known places to hit chicks , so if you are in one of these cities and thinking going to Finland, take a ferry. Ferries are also much cheaper than flying from these cities to Helsinki-Vantaa. Prices start from few dozen euro for one-way trip.

When you have comfortably arrived to the city, there are few more possibilities to exploit, that is the tram lines and the subway or metro as it is called here. The subway will only go from west to east and has only few stations but what I can say, it is the world's northernmost subway! The tram will basically substitute for a bus at the city centre. All of the previously mentioned transportation systems will use the same ticket system, meaning that one can buy a ticket in a bus and use it within an hour in other system.

Motels & Hotels:

Depending of your budget, you can stay at Stadion Hostel at the Olympic Stadion (shared room starts at 24€ a night) or at the only five-star hotel in Finland, the Hotel Kämp (starting from 279€ a night). I do not have experience of those apartments with furniture so unfortunately I cannot recommend them. However there are few resonably priced hotels near the city centre called "Omenahotels".

Day Game:
Beaches:

Out of the many beaches at Helsinki, only two are worth visiting in my oppinion. They are Hietaniemi Beach some kilometers north of the city centre and Pihlajasaari Island off the coast of the city. These are also popular spots for early and mid-20s people to go to party. The beach season starts in mid-June and ends in late-August. However do not expect high water temperatures, most years they range from 15°C to 20°C or 60°F to 70°F. Annual algae blooms might also close down some beaches for period of time.

Coffee shops

Finns consume the most coffee per capita (three times more than in United States) in the world but we have no coffee culture whatsoever. Our coffee is mostly light roasted brand of which we hoard by the kilogram from local supermarkets. There's only two Starbucks in Finland, both of which are at the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport and opened in April 2012. What people do is either make light coffee at home and drink it with a friend or go to a coffee shop and order a darker coffee to go. I do not personally go to these shops but always when I roam the streets and look into one the only younger people are at the line and mostly only older folks at the tables.

If you still want to give it a go, I recommend going to Karl Fazer Café located at the downtown Helsinki. It is the oldest one and perhaps the best example of the Central and South European type coffee shop you can find (founded by a foreigner in 1891, naturally!).

Libraries:

Finns read a lot and 61,9 % of the adult female population have at least a bachelor's degree from some field. However this does not mean that they would be hanging around the libraries. Most of the people I see come to read a newspaper and then leave with some books to read them at home. However those school work will most probably be doing them at a library near their school or home. This is not naturally true for the summer months of June, July and August. Besides university libraries around the city centre I recommend visiting Library 10 next to the railway station for some library game. It is a library specialized to music records and musical books.

Sights:

- Suomenlinna Sea Fortress (an UNESCO site)
- Seurasaari Open-Air Museum
- Kotiharjun Sauna

Streets:

Given any time of day or date, the most busiest strees can be found from Kamppi and Kluuvi districts where most malls and shopping streets are located. Try Aleksanterinkatu and Narinkkatori for starters. The latter is also an excellent choice for the varity of shops around it (although no pet stores even near it!).

Night Game:

Previously threads by different authors have pretty much nailed it, nothing much to add:

- The Helsinki Thread
- Helsinki, Tallinn & Riga Trip Report
- etc.

Behind the link you can take a look of miscellaneous self photographs by various aged Finnish women (choose gender "naiset" from "sukupuoli" and age from "ikä"). The age and location can be seen below the photograph. You can also give points to their looks from 1 to 10 if you like. Their average score is shown of the left hand side after you have given points to them.

http://www.city.fi/peilikuva/

Oh, forgot to tell you but Finland (and Helsinki) has the largest amount of single women without children (22.7 % of the population) & also the least amount of single women with children (1.5 %) in EU27.

Some very attractive girls on that site. During the summer, would you say that Helsinki has a high number of foreign tourists? What about international student population? Thanks for the datasheet.

Quote: (07-07-2012 12:43 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

During the summer, would you say that Helsinki has a high number of foreign tourists?

During August, the month when most of the Europeans have their holidays (contrary to the Finns who have their vacation in July), Russians are by far the largest group of foreign tourists in Helsinki region followed by the Germans. This does not mean there's a lot of tourist in Helsinki or Finland in general; if you go outside the streets I wrote about in my opening post, you will see very, very few tourists and most of them are Japanese trying to find that one Alvar Aalto building situated on the outskirts of the city.

Your typical Russian tourist seems to be travelling by own car or a bus from St. Petersburg. S/he is only staying for a day or two and is mostly interested on the shopping possibilities. The wealthier ones have bought their own cabins near a lake and go straight to there. Every summer there are more and more cruise ships bringing Anglo-American tourists to Helsinki but yet in insignificant numbers.

Statistics for August 2011

Quote: (07-07-2012 12:43 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

What about international student population?

Since mostly there are no admission nor tuition fees at the Helsinki University for EU/EEA students, about 1/3 of them are from those countries. Another 1/3 are from Asia and the rest from Africa, other European countries or Oceania. However the largest individual group is the Chinese students. Again we will see the Russians at the top three, now at the second. The international students made up only about 4 % of all students at the Helsinki University.

I have observed that international students from outside Europe like to gather among themselves and do not mingle with the general population, probably because they do not the language and cannot work almost in any job without it. African guys who could be students by their age are most often working either as janitors or delivering mail few in the early hours for small money.

Did these answer you questions?

Yes. Thank you. Also, can one get by and pick up chicks with only english?

So what's the best month for visiting Helsinki, specifically for partying, picking up Finnish women, and possibly Russian/German tourists, August? If you were to go in June or July would many locals be out of town at their lake cabins?

I have a half-Finnish friend who wants to travel out there and I wouldn't mind going to check out Helsinki with possible side detours to St Petersburg and Estonia. The outrageous prices are kind of an issue, but from the intel I get it sounds like Helsinki is one of the easiest places to land a SNL and the women are pretty nice (at least compared to US standards). Hopefully Roosh will be dropping some info on this in the months to come.

Quote: (07-07-2012 03:15 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Yes. Thank you. Also, can one get by and pick up chicks with only english?

As easily as in any other country with population with good knowledge of English, I quess.

Quote: (07-07-2012 05:49 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

So what's the best month for visiting Helsinki, specifically for partying, picking up Finnish women, and possibly Russian/German tourists, August? If you were to go in June or July would many locals be out of town at their lake cabins?

Russian tourists could be hard to catch if 70 % of them are only staying a day (4-6 hours) in Helsinki before going back to St. Petersburg. However you can catch the same bus back to Russia if you hand out some bills to the driver. This is probably also the cheapest option to travel to Russia from Finland.

Germans on the other hand will stay much longer in Finland but based on my observations they are mostly mid-age couples travelling with RVs from Helsinki to Lapland where they tend to block the road every few kilometers with the first sight of a reindeer (the sheep of Finland)!

As I recalled in my opening post, the Midsummer weekend is the worst case scenario, with around 80 % of the Finnish people being outside the city for few days. Otherwise I would estimate that only around 10-20 % of people from any age group would be spending some or all of their weekends in a cabin during July and August.

I would still say that June before the Midsummer and early to mid-July would be the best season to come to Finland. August is the least sunniest summer month in Finland and often also rainy. Tourist-wise it would be the best option but as I have written, most of them are in Helsinki only for a few hours to a day. Coming to Helsinki during the winter time is not that bad as I jokingly described it in my initial post and I might write few words out of it later.

Quote: (07-07-2012 05:49 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

I have a half-Finnish friend who wants to travel out there and I wouldn't mind going to check out Helsinki with possible side detours to St Petersburg and Estonia. The outrageous prices are kind of an issue, but from the intel I get it sounds like Helsinki is one of the easiest places to land a SNL and the women are pretty nice (at least compared to US standards). Hopefully Roosh will be dropping some info on this in the months to come.

This recalls me of an article published by a Finnish yellow press magazine Hymy during the 1980s when there was fewer foreigners than the relative few foreigners nowadays in Finland. They had a Frenchman who had visited Finland for few dozen times and had studied the behavior of Finnish women by asking (indirectly?) sex from them: out of 358 women 326 had said yes. This anecdote does not necessary hold truth anymore but as I said it is a general picture among Finnish males that Finnish women are "easy" but not necessary to them.

Since there are two seasons in Helsinki and Finland in general, winter and something that might be called summer, I thought it might be helpful to write something about the longer season in case you somehow managed to get mixed these two and land at Helsinki during the "wrong" season.

During the summer you'll have 18 hours of "day game" and four hours of "night game" but then again in the winter it's six hours of "day" and 18 hours of "night". Although this might sound nice for those specialized in night game, it does not really goes like that. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) combined with occasional winters without snow before Christmas affects all people not having their trips to the Southern Europe and/or Vitamin D pills. Imagine women that are not very talkative at the beginning becoming even less talkative!

The winter fashion among the Finnish women during the couple of previous years seems to have been wearing a large parka but oddly jeans or other thin items on the legs. I would say this greatly affects their ability to stop and listen random people on the streets during low or very low temperatures! It's better then to go to a mall or other indoor venue for day game during the winter. Naturally the outside temperature does not affect the night game too much.

What goes to the tourism business at Helsinki during the winter, the Russians dominate even more of it as there's even greater possibility of "cheap" shopping just before the Christmas. Again the problem for hitting them are the length of their stay in Helsinki.

My advice is not to come to Helsinki or Finland during the winter for game unless you're travelling to a Finnish ski resort (there's several small ones just outside Helsinki).

There has been one great development for student game in Helsinki since my last posts. The new Helsinki University Main Library has been opened in Kaisa House in downtown Helsinki. Previously the students were distributed in very small libraries in different locations but now most of the fields (political sciences, history, languages etc.) have their collections in one building.

Basically this means that you can find hundreds of students from any field sitting next to each other within walking distance from the bars, restaurants etc. The library is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.

Best club is Tivoli in Helsinki. Woman are becoming feminized very fast and they have very bitchy behaviour in clubs. So I think in a few years it will be harder to get laid there.

Anyone been to the club in Hotel Sokos Vantaa? It's supposed to be bangin' on the weekends- but wondering whether it's worth to book a room at the hotel just for ease; big downside is the club will be your only option for that nite.

Quote: (10-02-2012 09:38 PM)Eldon Wrote:  

Anyone been to the club in Hotel Sokos Vantaa? It's supposed to be bangin' on the weekends- but wondering whether it's worth to book a room at the hotel just for ease; big downside is the club will be your only option for that nite.

The club is really the only well-known club in Vantaa ("Stockholm Cruise Simulator"), a legend if you want to call it that. It would be a good choice if you want to share your time between Helsinki and Vantaa. You would be living next to train station with a connection to downtown Helsinki in 20 minutes. Some people arriving from the surrounding countryside might not go to down to Helsinki but go to their "nearby" club at Hotel Sokos Vantaa.

Thanks Luomo. Could you explain Stockholm Cruise Simulator?, Google could not!

Quote: (10-06-2012 03:22 AM)Eldon Wrote:  

Could you explain Stockholm Cruise Simulator?

Going to the aforementioned club (it's actually a restaurant / bar) is like taking a cruise ship to Stockholm; the same people who go to a cruise ship's bar are there, it has the same kind of layout, the same music etc.

So I made it to Helsinki. I can write up a full report when I get home, not sure what I can add to previous reports but let's see. The city isn't chock full of head turners but this isn't suprising for those who don't get their ideas about Nordic women from Old Milwaukee Swedish Bikini commercials! But there is enough talent to keep a man happy. Tomorrow I'm doing a Kallio bar crawl, kallio is a working class neighborhood so it'll being different than kickin it in the city centre. 

Tonite I got a late start, didn't leave my hotel till 12. That was dumb. Anyway, I made it to Milliklubi at 3:00. Chatted up these two chicks outside. One had a beautiful face, she kinda looks like Jennifer Lawrence, not as skinny. The other one is not kute, she's wearing green so let's call her Kermit. I'm having a long convo outside w JL while Kermit is talking with friends she ran into on the street. Talkin mostly about her worldwide travels, welfare state politics and her film studies. We go inside and continue the convo till closing time. As we're leaving I grab both their emails. K is surprised that I want hers too. I was just being nice and playing nice guy game as was called for. So once again outside we continue the convo, this time I'm talking to both of them. At some point K asks me if I have a bar in my hotel. I thought she was asking if there was a bar in my hotel, turns out she was asking if I had a mini-bar in my room. Truthfully, I had to say no. Why the fack did I not pick up some duty free champagne? Regrets, I've had a few. At another point JL mentions she doesn't go out that much and is busy w school but that she'll happily email me some restaurant recommendations. Who am I - Anthony Bourdain?!? They both took the bus home together as I walked The Trail of Tears home. So now what I do, email just JL or email  them  together? I mean I would do Kermit in a pinch but it's not what I flew 12 hours for! Risk in emailing her alone is getting a polite too busy message, emailing both means not telegraphing up my intentions and having to isolate JL. I've never even looked in the Game sub forum, maybe I should have posted this Dear Abby question there [Image: smile.gif] 

Quote: (10-19-2012 11:20 PM)Eldon Wrote:  

So now what I do, email just JL or email  them  together? I mean I would do Kermit in a pinch but it's not what I flew 12 hours for! Risk in emailing her alone is getting a polite too busy message, emailing both means not telegraphing up my intentions and having to isolate JL. I've never even looked in the Game sub forum, maybe I should have posted this Dear Abby question there [Image: smile.gif] 

Bro, never get the email address, always escalate the situation as far as you can take it. I would have tried to get a sexual vibe going, work some kino, and gone for the kiss.

I think you have very little chance of closing either chick, but you might as well email one of them, you could email both, but if they are good friends there is a decent chance that will come up in conversation, which could kill your chances.

Quote: (10-19-2012 11:20 PM)Eldon Wrote:  

At some point K asks me if I have a bar in my hotel. I thought she was asking if there was a bar in my hotel, turns out she was asking if I had a mini-bar in my room.

So now what I do, email just JL or email  them  together?  

The mini bar in your hotel room is a classic for girls in Helsinki who want a one night stand with a tourist. So what you do is that you go to the Alko shop and get a bottle of vodka and have it in your room for the after party for the next chance. So instead of asking the girl, let's go back to my place, you say let's get another drink.
Hopefully, your hotel is walking distance from Milli but what kind of hotel doesn't have a mini bar in the room? Couldn't you have ordered room service? If not, change to a hotel in the centre. Walking distance to your hotel and having booze there is key to scoring as a tourist in Helsinki. Good luck tonight.

Inspired by Roosh's recent post on 15 Factors That Determine If A City Is Great For Men, I decided to see if Helsinki fulfills any of the terms. Many people living in Greater Helsinki area visit Helsinki daily for their work or studies, but I have here used only statistics from Helsinki:

Total population - Helsinki = 600.000 vs. Roosh's 500.000 - 1.500.000
Demographics - 1.12 woman between ages 18 and 30 for every 18-30 man in the end of year 2011.
City Vs Suburb Density - Helsinki has a denser center than suburbs.
Nightlife Blueprint - All the center spots are withing walking distance from each other.
Local Economy - Your average Helsinki dweller had a net worth of 108.520 € in 2009.
Adoption Of Feminism - The first Slut Walk in 2011.
iPhone Penetration - Nokia is the leader in the Finnish markets.
Level Of Male Aggressiveness And Game - Finnish males have no game, period.
Depth Of Social Connections - Finns in general have somewhat tight social circles.
Western Culture Omnipresence - American culture is present in Helsinki, but I would say it has not yet penetrated every level of life.
English Penetration: Everyone younger than 30 will speak English at an understandable level.
Cost Of Living: High.
Hipster Culture Adoption Rates Low, with mostly expressed in form of dreadlocks.
Major Universities Per Capita - Helsinki has one university per 100.000 people.
Crime Level - Low or non-existent level of street crime.

I would thus award Helsinki with 10 out of the maximum of 15 "Roosh points".

I'm hearing reports that Milli club is back in "business" so to say, atleast on nights other than fri/sat. I haven't been to Onnela club since my blue pill days, but having been there during this "spring break" campaign that they are having right now(2.5€ drinks from tap if you have the red cup) i must say that the place looks okay again. The music didn't seem to be as loud anymore. Other clubs... bakers, apollo live club, tiger...my personal game didn't work there at all, but i can still recommend them for foreign guys, make sure you dress well.

Quote:Quote:

Hipster Culture Adoption Rates Low, with mostly expressed in form of dreadlocks.
My experience is the complete opposite, especially in Kallio, Punavuori and some select venues in downtown(roska, aussie bar/club)

Boys, I want to come visit you guys and tear it up in Helsinki. I am your neighbour in Sverige! Likewise, feel free to come to stockholm!

Quote: (03-20-2013 03:58 PM)gandt Wrote:  

Likewise, feel free to come to stockholm!

Why on earth would I go to Stockholm if Tallinn is just a two hour ferry ride away from Helsinki? [Image: tard.gif]

Quote: (03-21-2013 04:10 AM)Luomu Wrote:  

Why on earth would I go to Stockholm if Tallinn is just a two hour ferry ride away from Helsinki? [Image: tard.gif]

Touche. Less $$$ also

Quote: (03-21-2013 04:10 AM)Luomu Wrote:  

because sthlm has so much more variety and stuff to do than tll...

Quote: (02-01-2013 01:12 PM)Luomu Wrote:  

Inspired by Roosh's recent post on 15 Factors That Determine If A City Is Great For Men, I decided to see if Helsinki fulfills any of the terms. Many people living in Greater Helsinki area visit Helsinki daily for their work or studies, but I have here used only statistics from Helsinki:

Total population - Helsinki = 600.000 vs. Roosh's 500.000 - 1.500.000
Demographics - 1.12 woman between ages 18 and 30 for every 18-30 man in the end of year 2011.
City Vs Suburb Density - Helsinki has a denser center than suburbs.
Nightlife Blueprint - All the center spots are withing walking distance from each other.
Local Economy - Your average Helsinki dweller had a net worth of 108.520 € in 2009.
Adoption Of Feminism - The first Slut Walk in 2011.
iPhone Penetration - Nokia is the leader in the Finnish markets.
Level Of Male Aggressiveness And Game - Finnish males have no game, period.
Depth Of Social Connections - Finns in general have somewhat tight social circles.
Western Culture Omnipresence - American culture is present in Helsinki, but I would say it has not yet penetrated every level of life.
English Penetration: Everyone younger than 30 will speak English at an understandable level.
Cost Of Living: High.
Major Universities Per Capita - Helsinki has one university per 100.000 people.
Crime Level - Low or non-existent level of street crime.

I would thus award Helsinki with 10 out of the maximum of 15 "Roosh points".

WARNING: Zombie thread I hope I can help update, as I just got back from a week there.

The main changes is visibly increased numbers of third-world origin people, especially sub-saharan Blacks; more visible gays, both men and women (including public cross-dressing); a significant percentage of hipsters. The crime and terrorism risk is still almost nil; hordes of Korean/Chinese tourists. The place looks like America a few years ago and is progressively being more "pozzed". It is not cheap but not horribly expensive; quality of restaurants and culture is better than the US. My past trips to non-Western countries make Finland stick out as having significant deterioration.

Despite these signs of degeneracy, the overall country is in much better cultural and demographic state than the US; still sufficient numbers of the "doll face" yellow haired types that Roosh wrote about in his Latvia book. Getting a white, non-fat girlfriend in Helsinki seems doable, as opposed to the death-struggle it is in most of the US. I would move there in a second compared to my current location.