rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

North Dakota Oil Jobs

North Dakota Oil Jobs

I just arrived in Williston North Dakota, this is the center of the new Oil Boom in the U.S. There are a lot of jobs available and many are high paying. The thing is, I don't know jack shit about this industry. I know the "roughnecking" jobs are long, hard, and dangerous. I also know that there are all sorts of support jobs from equipment servicing jobs to truck driving jobs that also pay a lot.

My question for the guys in the know, what are the most coveted jobs and how do you go about getting them?

I'm fit, hardworking, and bright. But I don't want to kill myself doing this roughnecking stuff or worse, languish in obscurity on some oil rig when I know if I were in front of the right person, they would recognize I bring something to the table.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-24-2012 04:55 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

I don't know jack shit about this industry.

I don't either.

However, lets say a pimp were to bring numerous prostitutes to this town.

Would this be lucrative?

How about a lunch truck outside the oil well?

Aloha!

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Fisto - Thanks for keeping us updated. I know guys on here are wondering exactly what needs to be done to get a job that requires no experience.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Like any remote site or offshore rig, roustabouts or roughnecks are unskilled laborers that are crucial to the operation. Unskilled labor it may be, but the companies then train you up once you have experience in those sorts of environments too.

The work is dangerous and hard, but the money is good for that reason. You will get experience, get your tickets and they will train you if you ask them to after a while. You are not going to jump the line if you have no trade, experience or skills, not going to happen. Many of the guys you see at the top of the food chain started off as lowly roustabouts, because that is the best way for you to learn about everything in a general sense.

You need to pay your dues, there are no shortcuts.

Best jobs on these sites are the trades. Drillers, welders, electricians, diesel mechanics, etc.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-24-2012 04:55 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

I just arrived in Williston North Dakota, this is the center of the new Oil Boom in the U.S. There are a lot of jobs available and many are high paying. The thing is, I don't know jack shit about this industry. I know the "roughnecking" jobs are long, hard, and dangerous. I also know that there are all sorts of support jobs from equipment servicing jobs to truck driving jobs that also pay a lot.

My question for the guys in the know, what are the most coveted jobs and how do you go about getting them?

I'm fit, hardworking, and bright. But I don't want to kill myself doing this roughnecking stuff or worse, languish in obscurity on some oil rig when I know if I were in front of the right person, they would recognize I bring something to the table.

Good luck up there and keep us posted on your progress, I think you`re the only forum member who made his way up there so far. Harry`s post is spot on, you gotta start somewhere bud, as long as you aren`t afraid of a bit of hard work, you should be able to work your way up the ladder fairly quick, once you prove yourself.

Hopefully you`ve sorted out your accommodations and already have a few bucks in the bank, so you can be picky about which job to take, since the market is hot and many companies are hiring. Choose a line of work you could see yourself doing for a number of years in all sorts of shitty weather conditions.

I`ve stated in other oil related threads that I`d personally never work on an oil rig, although there`s good money to be made, its too tough and you`re relocation options are limited to where oil is drilled once you`ve had enough. Try to get into a trade or acquire some sort of skill that you can do anywhere, not just a remote boom town because trust me, you will eventually get tired of the oil boom lifestyle.

If you want to get into a trade, lets say welding, you can either contact the union halls and ask if they`re taking on new hires or go directly to a construction company, pipeline contractor and ask if they need helpers or new apprentices. Heres a link to the North Dakota local of the union that I belong to: http://www.ualocal300.com/ (they employ welders too).

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Kona- I actually thought about rounding up a slew of hot vegas prostitutes and bringing them out here. There are hookers here but none are close to the caliber of the vegas variety and these guys are making good money. Last I heard there was some crazy ration of 50-60 guys per girl. I don't know if that's true but it seems that way. The trouble is rent is outrageous here and space is limited. I thought of getting a bus and sectioning it off, rolling up to the man camps and letting the girls walk out, guys would line up to get on. Charge them 500 a head, drive until business is done and then pick up the next group.

Housten - Halliburton, Key Energy, and several others hire you with no experience. I'm going to hold out for the best deal, then I'm going to work my ass off and make some money. I'll keep you posted. I'm going by Trevita today.

HH - Thank you for the advice. As long as I can get an understanding of what my 12-18 month horizon looks like, I don't mind danger or hard work. I understand loyalty and responsibility and while I'm unskilled at the moment, I think that will mean something to the right company.

Scotian, Thank you brother. I'm going to look into it.

Guys this is all gold. Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. Both are very well received

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Fisto - will those companies hire you within a few days or week? Some youtube videos from up there say it can take weeks or even months to get a job. Maybe they're not applying at the right companies.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Here's what happened to me today. I went over to Tervita, spoke to a supervisor standing outside. Within ten minutes he gave me his card, and told me I was exactly the type of guy they were looking for. Sent me to the head office. I walk in and told the secretary I was there to apply and showed her the guys card. She didn't even glance at it and told me to go to a fucking website and apply online. Totally blew me off. I'll follow up with the supervisor I met.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-25-2012 08:21 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Here's what happened to me today. I went over to Tervita, spoke to a supervisor standing outside. Within ten minutes he gave me his card, and told me I was exactly the type of guy they were looking for. Sent me to the head office. I walk in and told the secretary I was there to apply and showed her the guys card. She didn't even glance at it and told me to go to a fucking website and apply online. Totally blew me off. I'll follow up with the supervisor I met.

Good job man, that's exactly what you should be doing, networking around town and talking to the people who matter, like that supervisor. Don't sweat that dumb secretary, apply online and wait a couple of days and give that guy a call back.

Tervita is big where I work in Alberta, I'm pretty sure they're based in Calgary, one of many Canadian oil companies with ops down in North Dakota.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-25-2012 11:55 AM)scotian Wrote:  

I`ve stated in other oil related threads that I`d personally never work on an oil rig, although there`s good money to be made, its too tough and you`re relocation options are limited to where oil is drilled once you`ve had enough. Try to get into a trade or acquire some sort of skill that you can do anywhere, not just a remote boom town because trust me, you will eventually get tired of the oil boom lifestyle.
What about to get my foot in the door? I don't plan on sticking with a rig forever, but I'm going tomorrow to see about working on one. I just want to get my foot in the oil industry somehow and want to do it close to home if possible.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-25-2012 08:45 PM)houston Wrote:  

What about to get my foot in the door? I don't plan on sticking with a rig forever, but I'm going tomorrow to see about working on one. I just want to get my foot in the oil industry somehow and want to do it close to home if possible.

I'm not sure how busy your local market is, but Houston is one of the biggest refining areas in the world. There should be opportunities to get into a trade there, not too sure if there's actual oil rigs around the city, I think its mostly piped in from offshore in the gulf or other areas in land (Texas has several large drilling areas on land).

Basically, the oil industry is divided into two sectors; upstream and downstream. Upstream is a place like North Dakota where they search for and recover oil, in this case by drilling it. The product is then sent downstream, mostly via pipeline to a refining centre such as Joliet Illinois, Cushing Oklahoma or Houston Texas (all of which would be a lot busier now if your president didn`t put the kibosh on the keystone XL pipeline to bring Canadian oil down there).

Each operation has different opportunities for work. Tradesmen such as welders, mechanics, electricians work in both upstream and downstream, but you won`t see too many drill rig guys downstream.

That`s why I usually suggest trades work to guys looking to get into the oil biz, most refineries are located near cities (in your case, your back yard!) and most up upstream operations are located in remote towns like Williston, or in my case Fort McMurray, Alberta, which by most measures are both shit holes.

If you still want to give the rigs a try, go for it, there`s definitely some good coin to make on them and even if you don`t like it, one 21 day rotation will pay for your expenses getting up there and you`d probably still have a few bucks left over if you decide its not for you.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-25-2012 09:26 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Quote: (06-25-2012 08:45 PM)houston Wrote:  

I'm not sure how busy your local market is, but Houston is one of the biggest refining areas in the world. There should be opportunities to get into a trade there, not too sure if there's actual oil rigs around the city, I think its mostly piped in from offshore in the gulf or other areas in land (Texas has several large drilling areas on land).

Basically, the oil industry is divided into two sectors; upstream and downstream. Upstream is a place like North Dakota where they search for and recover oil, in this case by drilling it. The product is then sent downstream, mostly via pipeline to a refining centre such as Joliet Illinois, Cushing Oklahoma or Houston Texas (all of which would be a lot busier now if your president didn`t put the kibosh on the keystone XL pipeline to bring Canadian oil down there).

Each operation has different opportunities for work. Tradesmen such as welders, mechanics, electricians work in both upstream and downstream, but you won`t see too many drill rig guys downstream.

That`s why I usually suggest trades work to guys looking to get into the oil biz, most refineries are located near cities (in your case, your back yard!) and most up upstream operations are located in remote towns like Williston, or in my case Fort McMurray, Alberta, which by most measures are both shit holes.

If you still want to give the rigs a try, go for it, there`s definitely some good coin to make on them and even if you don`t like it, one 21 day rotation will pay for your expenses getting up there and you`d probably still have a few bucks left over if you decide its not for you.
Well, I need money to get into a trade. That's my main problem. I plan to make some then see about what we talked about before. Yeah, I sure as hell don't want to do it for a long time. Just get in and out.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

So the supervisor from Tervita called me this morning and said he would make a few phone calls on my behalf. There is also another company called Key Energy, I met with another guy and he said he could get me a job with no trouble at all. Sounds like Key doesn't pay guys quite as much when they start out but, after you learn your job and get experience you can easily get another job someplace else. The foot in the door sounds like the hardest part.

Housten, this job is going to be hard man. I'm very much reconsidering whether it's worth it. The Tervita guy told me that you work 30 days straight and then get 10 days off. 12-14 hours a day. You live on the worksite. Granted, he also said you walk away with about 9 grand but Jesus....Key energy works 18 days and 9 days off. I guess when you get into a bigger company it's 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-26-2012 10:13 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

So the supervisor from Tervita called me this morning and said he would make a few phone calls on my behalf. There is also another company called Key Energy, I met with another guy and he said he could get me a job with no trouble at all. Sounds like Key doesn't pay guys quite as much when they start out but, after you learn your job and get experience you can easily get another job someplace else. The foot in the door sounds like the hardest part.

Housten, this job is going to be hard man. I'm very much reconsidering whether it's worth it. The Tervita guy told me that you work 30 days straight and then get 10 days off. 12-14 hours a day. You live on the worksite. Granted, he also said you walk away with about 9 grand but Jesus....Key energy works 18 days and 9 days off. I guess when you get into a bigger company it's 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

Good luck Fisto. I'll also be keeping watch of this thread to see how it goes.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-26-2012 10:13 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

I just got back to my place after working a 17 hour shift which consisted of driving 2 hours to site, 6 hours of orientation (boring!) 7 hours of work then another 2 hours drive back, I'm beat but will be ready to go again tomorrow.

30 and 10 isn't as bad as it seems, once you get into the groove and stay focused on learning your new job, it becomes easier. Once you see that you just banked 9 grand, it becomes addictive!

I'm about to start a new rotation of 30 on, 30 off and I can't wait, its much better for my life style, I want to travel more and have the money to do it in style. I'm pretty much done working like a dog, I did my time which included 8 straight months of a 24 days on 4 off rotation and some other insane hitches, I never want to do this for more than 6 months per year, preferably less.

Depending how bad you need the money, you may want to shop around if those types of schedules seem too much, because although they are completely doable, they do wear you out after awhile.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

So the supervisor called me back. Seems like he really went out of his way. Called a few people involved with hiring and let them know my application was in the online system. The trouble now is speaking with a recruiter that calls from Denver or someplace not even on site....

The trouble for me honestly, is going 30 days or whatever without even being close to a girl. I haven't gone more than a couple weeks without getting laid in years....I talked to my dad about it and he was like "Fisto, are you kidding me, get your mind right. That is a bodily function. You can control that. Jesus."

In the Army that was horrible, I'm worried about getting onenitis or worse, thinking I want back into an LTR....Just being on the road has started those feelings up. Right now for example I'm sleeping in a 12 foot trailer I brought with me from Vegas. I banged some 22 year old 4 days ago out here (cute, body was an 7.5, face a 6, also probably a hooker but money never came up).

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-27-2012 11:40 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

So the supervisor called me back. Seems like he really went out of his way. Called a few people involved with hiring and let them know my application was in the online system. The trouble now is speaking with a recruiter that calls from Denver or someplace not even on site....

The trouble for me honestly, is going 30 days or whatever without even being close to a girl. I haven't gone more than a couple weeks without getting laid in years....I talked to my dad about it and he was like "Fisto, are you kidding me, get your mind right. That is a bodily function. You can control that. Jesus."

In the Army that was horrible, I'm worried about getting onenitis or worse, thinking I want back into an LTR....Just being on the road has started those feelings up. Right now for example I'm sleeping in a 12 foot trailer I brought with me from Vegas. I banged some 22 year old 4 days ago out here (cute, body was an 7.5, face a 6, also probably a hooker but money never came up).

If you've been in the army then you've probably heard this before, Suck it up princess! If you've already banged girls in your little shaggin wagon, whats stopping you from doing it again? If your job site is close to town you can always go back there after work to try and hunt down some tail, although you'll be pretty tired after working so much.

Yes it sucks not getting laid for weeks (I'm currently in my worst dry spell since 06'), but you'll have 10 days off after 30 and pocket full of cash, think of the possibilities, you could fly back to Vegas or down to the DR and get enough pussy in that 10 days you won't want to get laid for another month!

I say go for it man, think of all the money you could save by the winter, by that time you can acquire enough skills to be able to quit and take the winter off (something I suggest as that part of the world is brutally cold from Dec-March), then come back and get hired on easily. You could literally spend the winter anywhere in the world you want.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-27-2012 12:02 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2012 11:40 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

If you've been in the army then you've probably heard this before, Suck it up princess! If you've already banged girls in your little shaggin wagon, whats stopping you from doing it again? If your job site is close to town you can always go back there after work to try and hunt down some tail, although you'll be pretty tired after working so much.

Yes it sucks not getting laid for weeks (I'm currently in my worst dry spell since 06'), but you'll have 10 days off after 30 and pocket full of cash, think of the possibilities, you could fly back to Vegas or down to the DR and get enough pussy in that 10 days you won't want to get laid for another month!

I say go for it man, think of all the money you could save by the winter, by that time you can acquire enough skills to be able to quit and take the winter off (something I suggest as that part of the world is brutally cold from Dec-March), then come back and get hired on easily. You could literally spend the winter anywhere in the world you want.

Don't worry, I'm doing it. I'm just not crazy about the idea but you're absolutely right, it's worth it. Just got off the phone with another guy who went out of his way, said I can get hired on for sure at Key Energy after the Tuesday after the 4th of July. Thanks Scotian.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Good luck bro, looks like you'll have a few more days off in Williston, maybe you can round up some more women to hook up with while you're working up there, trust me it'll make things more bearable.

When you start your first job, just pay special attention during the work orientations and ask lots of questions, don't ever do anything that you haven't been shown how to do. Those rigs can be dangerous with rotating equipment, gas leaks, etc. Example, don't wear a hoodie with loose draw strings or any other unnecessarily loose clothing around rotating equipment because if it gets caught it machinery you'll be fucked.

Hopefully you'll get on a decent crew but I can pretty much guarantee they'll be rough red neck type guys, they have a "get R done" attitude towards work but don't cut corners when it comes to safety, if you don't totally understand your task, don't be afraid to ask!

Anyway, keep us posted, I'm sure a lot of other guys stateside are reading this and looking forward to your progress in ND.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Fisto - did you go up there blind without knowing anyone? Have you met people sleeping in their cars?

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Scotian - I will do exactly what you say

Houston - I didn't know a soul. I pulled my 12 by 6 foot trailer. I filled it with paintings and easels. I slept on the road, bathed in a few rivers and gas station sinks, ate sparingly and it cost me about 600 bucks to go 1600 miles.

The first few days, I scoped out a place to set up the paintings and went and had a couple beers at night and talked to the local guys. The first night I was there, some old drunk redneck asked me wtf I was looking at (inside the bar at Applebees), I pointed to the TV behind him, he came up and shook my hand and started talking about how he thought we were going to fight etc. Then he gave me his name and number and said if I wanted to learn how to drive a truck and get my CDL he'd help me. That has been the recurring them around here "Do you have your CDL?" If you get that before you come up, you'll be ahead of a lot of dudes. I don't have mine and I'm going to look into it if I don't get hired on soon. I've sold some paintings and that has kept me alive but I don't know for how long I can do that here. I set up in the parking lot of a place called "Home of Economy". The manager said if I get her some portraits of her grandkids I can stay there as long as I like. I leave the easels outside and I set up a massage table a girl let me borrow inside the trailer and that's where I've been sleeping at night. It's been a couple weeks on the road now and at first it was a lot of fun, now it's kind of wearing on me.

From the other thread:

It isn't that jobs are hard to come by, it's that the qualifications for jobs has risen. Mostly, these companies are now seeking experienced workers. You can still get other jobs that pay decently but the oil field jobs are getting tougher to get into. I'm here now and it's still a madhouse.

I'll post this on my thread as well, yesterday I went back to Tervita, the supervisor I met originally told me of another place I could go and apply from a terminal inside of another building further down (everything is hard to recognize here, steel buildings thrown up and sometimes it's tough to know what's what). I came inside and started speaking with a lady there, basically using game, rambling making little jokes. Finally she asked what I needed. I told here that I tried to apply online from my laptop and everytime I did it would reject my application. She led me to a computer and actually sat there and did everything for me, while she was applying for the 2 different jobs I wanted, she asked me to tell her about myself. I did and when she was done she told me that she is one of the people who personally reviews the resumes. She said that while they were looking for experience they are also open to hiring a "floorhand" (beginner on the rig) that has a good attitude. She also said would make sure my resume was looked at and considered. We'll see what all that means, I'll stop by again in a day or so. Key Energy is still my best prospect.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-28-2012 11:06 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

Scotian - I will do exactly what you say

Houston - I didn't know a soul. I pulled my 12 by 6 foot trailer. I filled it with paintings and easels. I slept on the road, bathed in a few rivers and gas station sinks, ate sparingly and it cost me about 600 bucks to go 1600 miles.

The first few days, I scoped out a place to set up the paintings and went and had a couple beers at night and talked to the local guys. The first night I was there, some old drunk redneck asked me wtf I was looking at (inside the bar at Applebees), I pointed to the TV behind him, he came up and shook my hand and started talking about how he thought we were going to fight etc. Then he gave me his name and number and said if I wanted to learn how to drive a truck and get my CDL he'd help me. That has been the recurring them around here "Do you have your CDL?" If you get that before you come up, you'll be ahead of a lot of dudes. I don't have mine and I'm going to look into it if I don't get hired on soon. I've sold some paintings and that has kept me alive but I don't know for how long I can do that here. I set up in the parking lot of a place called "Home of Economy". The manager said if I get her some portraits of her grandkids I can stay there as long as I like. I leave the easels outside and I set up a massage table a girl let me borrow inside the trailer and that's where I've been sleeping at night. It's been a couple weeks on the road now and at first it was a lot of fun, now it's kind of wearing on me.

From the other thread:

It isn't that jobs are hard to come by, it's that the qualifications for jobs has risen. Mostly, these companies are now seeking experienced workers. You can still get other jobs that pay decently but the oil field jobs are getting tougher to get into. I'm here now and it's still a madhouse.

I'll post this on my thread as well, yesterday I went back to Tervita, the supervisor I met originally told me of another place I could go and apply from a terminal inside of another building further down (everything is hard to recognize here, steel buildings thrown up and sometimes it's tough to know what's what). I came inside and started speaking with a lady there, basically using game, rambling making little jokes. Finally she asked what I needed. I told here that I tried to apply online from my laptop and everytime I did it would reject my application. She led me to a computer and actually sat there and did everything for me, while she was applying for the 2 different jobs I wanted, she asked me to tell her about myself. I did and when she was done she told me that she is one of the people who personally reviews the resumes. She said that while they were looking for experience they are also open to hiring a "floorhand" (beginner on the rig) that has a good attitude. She also said would make sure my resume was looked at and considered. We'll see what all that means, I'll stop by again in a day or so. Key Energy is still my best prospect.

Will people leave ND when it starts to get cold; essentially opening more jobs in the winter?

North Dakota Oil Jobs

I have no idea about that.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

ATTA - yesterday I asked around about hiring in the winter and it's hard to tell what the actual number is but it sounds like A LOT of guys quit during the coldest part of the year and then come back. Apparently that is a good time to get hired.

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Quote: (06-29-2012 11:33 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

ATTA - yesterday I asked around about hiring in the winter and it's hard to tell what the actual number is but it sounds like A LOT of guys quit during the coldest part of the year and then come back. Apparently that is a good time to get hired.

Fisto, thanks.

I really appreciate it. Seriously considering go up there.