rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Toronto vs. Vancouver vs. Montreal vs. Calgary vs. Edmonton vs.Ottawa?

Hey guys, this is my first post here so I'm sorry if this or anything similar have already been posted.

So, I've been doing a lot of serious researching for the last 3 weeks on which major city in Canada might be right for me, but its been a tough decision. I graduate high school next year (2013) and could really use well rounded advice.

Few questions (hopefully not too many):

1) Will I be able to make friends in any of these cities?

2) How are the women? I've heard a couple of things, mixed really on the attitude of some (mostly in Toronto), and if so, are they hot? Would I have a chance with any? Here's a pic so you can judge:

[Image: 0229121619b.jpg]

3) Safety; which parts of these city are safest?

4) Day & Nightlife; which city is more fun?

5) Finally, from personal experience which city would you recommend more?

Thanks for any help you could give me. Looking forward to becoming an "active" member of this forum. Considering how friendly it is.

If you don't speak french, forget Montréal and Québec in general. Your grades and diploma will mean nothing here . For the other provinces , I guess you'll be fine . In Ottawa the majority of the job or the best job you will have to be bilingual . Your post is not really explicit , I guess your asking opinion to move in one of theses city .

People don't speak English in Montreal?

Are you going to be studying in University or working?

If you're studying and don't mind the cold check out McGill University in Montreal. You have access to Montreal's amazing nightlife.

Quote: (04-25-2012 04:04 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

People don't speak English in Montreal?

Most young people do, but if you want to work there learning french is important.

Even my french friends say they prefer gaming in English in St. Laurent for some reason.

You have to understand that if you heard english that's not mean the population is english . Go near the Eiffel tower and I'm pretty sure you will heard english over there . Ontario have more french people than we have anglophone in Québec .The province have 500 000 peoples who are anglophone decendance .The population is near 300 000 in a 4millions population in Montréal . Everything is run in French .The language you heard in a club don't mean anything . Montréal has always been anglophone in one side and francophone in other side. Anglophone are scot,jews,asiatique and indian . Black people are all french . Mcgill is an anglophone university but, It's the best one in the country and I'm pretty sure you needs the grades to go with . It's pretty clear you have to speak french to live in Montréal . English is not an official language in the province,you'll be confronted to language problem all the time . If you come and learn the language it could be a good option . Living and pray to live in english, it's impossible .

Quote: (04-25-2012 04:54 PM)Alfonzo Wrote:  

You have to understand that if you heard english that's not mean the population is english . Go near the Eiffel tower and I'm pretty sure you will heard english over there . Ontario have more french people than we have anglophone in Québec .The province have 500 000 peoples who are anglophone decendance .The population is near 300 000 in a 4millions population in Montréal . Everything is run in French .The language you heard in a club don't mean anything . Montréal has always been anglophone in one side and francophone in other side. Anglophone are scot,jews,asiatique and indian . Black people are all french . Mcgill is an anglophone university but, It's the best one in the country and I'm pretty sure you needs the grades to go with . It's pretty clear you have to speak french to live in Montréal . English is not an official language in the province,you'll be confronted to language problem all the time . If you come and learn the language it could be a good option . Living and pray to live in english, it's impossible .

On the contrary, a lot of people have told me that learning French in Montreal is hard since so many people speak English so they always switch to English when they can tell your french sucks.

I agree with learning French for a longer stay in Montreal, but for a quick stay English is fine.

If someone is studying at McGill they can come in with very little french and take french classes to gain knowledge of french. They'll be fine.

Although going out of Montreal requires a lot of French from what people tell me.

Quote: (04-25-2012 03:52 PM)Alfonzo Wrote:  

If you don't speak french, forget Montréal and Québec in general. Your grades and diploma will mean nothing here . For the other provinces , I guess you'll be fine . In Ottawa the majority of the job or the best job you will have to be bilingual . Your post is not really explicit , I guess your asking opinion to move in one of theses city .

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to learn French through Rosetta Stone (Levels 1 -5). Is it a good program to learn from?

Quote: (04-25-2012 04:07 PM)torontokid Wrote:  

Are you going to be studying in University or working?

If you're studying and don't mind the cold check out McGill University in Montreal. You have access to Montreal's amazing nightlife.

Thanks man, I'll probably be working a little first and then trying to go to school. Is it cold throughout the year there?

I'm currently living in Ottawa and I've lived in Montreal (4 months) and Toronto (3 years). I haven't been out west and I don't really have any desire to. No offence to any guys repping those cities but I'm pretty happy in the Golden Triangle. From what most of my friends have told me Vancouver is really depressing with 6 months of rain in the Winter/Spring. I also find people from the West Coast aren't very genuine. The Maritimes are the complete opposite. People will literally go out of their way to help you. I work for the City of Ottawa and I see a lot of people from all over Canada, and the East Coast are hands down the friendliest. They've literally given me free beer and lobster for doing my job and having polite conversation with them- Its insane.

I'll try to stick to MTL, OTT and TO and keep my opinion on the other cities to myself.

Montreal was my favourite by far. MTL gets a lot of props on here and its easy to see why; the women are amazing, nightlife is awesome, food is great, people are friendly. The music and comedy festivals are pretty cool too. Entertainment is geared more towards clubbing and lounges. Nice electronic music scene too if you are into that. I lived downtown so English was never a problem but I can see it being more difficult as you move farther from the core. Cost of living is the cheapest of all three. Not sure if you really care but racially its mostly Black, White and European. If I was smart I would have done my undergrad here and lived like a god for 4 years. Jobs are pretty scarce though, especially if you can't speak French.

I loved Toronto. It gets a lot of flak on the boards but I think most of it is over exaggerated. I lived downtown at Queen and Spadina. In case you haven't picked up on it yet, always live downtown in any city! The women are fine as hell. Lots of mixes. More racially diverse than MTL with a massive Asian and Indian community. Lots of small immigrant communities as well. Food is great and you have every restaurant ever to choose from. Nightlife is a lot of fun too. Its big enough to compete have a healthy dose of clubs, bars and patios for the summer. Also has the best music and art scene of the three cities. Maybe I had an advantage because I went to school there so I already had a social circle to pick and choose from but you can still game. Its the biggest of the 3 cities so that comes with all the advantages of a big city. Its also probably the easiest one of the three to get around in, especially without a car.

Had to leave Toronto for Ottawa after graduation because I needed a job. I made the mistake of living in some shitty suburb for 4 months when I first moved here. I only had a week to find a place so I didn't have a lot of options. Needless to say it killed my will to live. Longest dry spell of my life. Anyways I finally got some funds together and got a wicked place in the Byward Market. There's about 40 bars/clubs/pubs/patios within 3 blocks of me now. If the first bar of the night is dead you can leave and walk 10ft to the next one. Up until the move I hated Ottawa, but now I love it. It has more of a small town feel, which can be hard to get used to after living in Toronto for so long. Nightlife is more about Patios and bars but you can still find some small venue clubs. People are friendlier than Toronto. Lots of women. My game is insane in Ottawa right now, and I've never felt like more of a playboy. People are really friendly. Most people that live in Ottawa aren't from there originally so most people are interesting to talk to. Carleton University, University of Ottawa and Algonquin college make sure there is always a decent party scene. Hull/Gatineau is just across the bridge so you can keep going till 3am at the bars/strip clubs there if you want. The city is really nice to look at too, with some pretty architecture and a lot of green space. On the negative side, it's hard to get around the city without a car and driving is just plain retarded with the city layout. They are starting to build a subway system though, so in a couple years maybe it will be easier. Shopping is the worst out of all 3 cities too.

I don't know where you grew up in the States but all three cities are really safe. They all have small pockets of shitty areas like any city; TO(Scarborough, Jane/Finch, Parkdale, Regent Park) OTT (Vanier, Russel Projects) Can't really speak for MTL but it would have a couple as well. I'm sure you wouldn't be living in any of these areas any way, and as long as you are smart about what you wont have a problem. I've walked home wasted at 4 am in all 3 cities as a target and always felt perfectly safe. All the cities have their pros and cons, but I don't think you can really go wrong with either. You're a good looking dude too (no homo!) so I'm sure you wont have a problem with women in any city. Step up your clothing in MTL or TO though. Although if you choose TO I would make sure its for a longer commitment because I think it takes a little while to establish yourself there. You're a good looking dude too (no homo!) so I'm sure you wont have a problem with women in any city. Step up your clothing in MTL or TO though. And always remember downtown is where its at!

Hope that helped!

What I would recommend for you from best to worst:

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

BTW, I'm a brother. I would be sure to ask the race of posters giving advice because the fact is that people will have different experiences based on their race. I can confirm that right now the dating scene in Toronto is not favorable at all to black men.

Quote: (04-25-2012 05:43 PM)Khaleth Wrote:  

I'm currently living in Ottawa and I've lived in Montreal (4 months) and Toronto (3 years). I haven't been out west and I don't really have any desire to. No offence to any guys repping those cities but I'm pretty happy in the Golden Triangle. From what most of my friends have told me Vancouver is really depressing with 6 months of rain in the Winter/Spring. I also find people from the West Coast aren't very genuine. The Maritimes are the complete opposite. People will literally go out of their way to help you. I work for the City of Ottawa and I see a lot of people from all over Canada, and the East Coast are hands down the friendliest. They've literally given me free beer and lobster for doing my job and having polite conversation with them- Its insane.

I'll try to stick to MTL, OTT and TO and keep my opinion on the other cities to myself.

Montreal was my favourite by far. MTL gets a lot of props on here and its easy to see why; the women are amazing, nightlife is awesome, food is great, people are friendly. The music and comedy festivals are pretty cool too. Entertainment is geared more towards clubbing and lounges. Nice electronic music scene too if you are into that. I lived downtown so English was never a problem but I can see it being more difficult as you move farther from the core. Cost of living is the cheapest of all three. Not sure if you really care but racially its mostly Black, White and European. If I was smart I would have done my undergrad here and lived like a god for 4 years. Jobs are pretty scarce though, especially if you can't speak French.

I loved Toronto. It gets a lot of flak on the boards but I think most of it is over exaggerated. I lived downtown at Queen and Spadina. In case you haven't picked up on it yet, always live downtown in any city! The women are fine as hell. Lots of mixes. More racially diverse than MTL with a massive Asian and Indian community. Lots of small immigrant communities as well. Food is great and you have every restaurant ever to choose from. Nightlife is a lot of fun too. Its big enough to compete have a healthy dose of clubs, bars and patios for the summer. Also has the best music and art scene of the three cities. Maybe I had an advantage because I went to school there so I already had a social circle to pick and choose from but you can still game. Its the biggest of the 3 cities so that comes with all the advantages of a big city. Its also probably the easiest one of the three to get around in, especially without a car.

Had to leave Toronto for Ottawa after graduation because I needed a job. I made the mistake of living in some shitty suburb for 4 months when I first moved here. I only had a week to find a place so I didn't have a lot of options. Needless to say it killed my will to live. Longest dry spell of my life. Anyways I finally got some funds together and got a wicked place in the Byward Market. There's about 40 bars/clubs/pubs/patios within 3 blocks of me now. If the first bar of the night is dead you can leave and walk 10ft to the next one. Up until the move I hated Ottawa, but now I love it. It has more of a small town feel, which can be hard to get used to after living in Toronto for so long. Nightlife is more about Patios and bars but you can still find some small venue clubs. People are friendlier than Toronto. Lots of women. My game is insane in Ottawa right now, and I've never felt like more of a playboy. People are really friendly. Most people that live in Ottawa aren't from there originally so most people are interesting to talk to. Carleton University, University of Ottawa and Algonquin college make sure there is always a decent party scene. Hull/Gatineau is just across the bridge so you can keep going till 3am at the bars/strip clubs there if you want. The city is really nice to look at too, with some pretty architecture and a lot of green space. On the negative side, it's hard to get around the city without a car and driving is just plain retarded with the city layout. They are starting to build a subway system though, so in a couple years maybe it will be easier. Shopping is the worst out of all 3 cities too.

I don't know where you grew up in the States but all three cities are really safe. They all have small pockets of shitty areas like any city; TO(Scarborough, Jane/Finch, Parkdale, Regent Park) OTT (Vanier, Russel Projects) Can't really speak for MTL but it would have a couple as well. I'm sure you wouldn't be living in any of these areas any way, and as long as you are smart about what you wont have a problem. I've walked home wasted at 4 am in all 3 cities as a target and always felt perfectly safe. All the cities have their pros and cons, but I don't think you can really go wrong with either. You're a good looking dude too (no homo!) so I'm sure you wont have a problem with women in any city. Step up your clothing in MTL or TO though. Although if you choose TO I would make sure its for a longer commitment because I think it takes a little while to establish yourself there. You're a good looking dude too (no homo!) so I'm sure you wont have a problem with women in any city. Step up your clothing in MTL or TO though. And always remember downtown is where its at!

Hope that helped!

Lot's of info that's bro. Would, skinny jeans and t shirts work? Because, that's kind out my style.

Quote: (04-25-2012 06:15 PM)Indefatigable Wrote:  

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

BTW, I'm a brother. I would be sure to ask the race of posters giving advice because the fact is that people will have different experiences based on their race. I can confirm that right now the dating scene in Toronto is not favorable at all to black men.

Thanks for the advice. All and all, I really don't act "black". I know that's really bad to say, I mostly listen to Rock music (Post-Hardcore, Metalcore, Alternative, etc) skateboard, when I speak over the phone a lot of people think I'm white, which got my major points when speaking to Universities (in person). I know that probably won't matter.

Where I'm at (Georgia) I have black friends, but mostly white friends. But it sometimes gets me a bad rep my black broskis.

Wait, you're in Georgia?

Why the hell would you move to Canada?

Montreal has fucking hot women but its freezing.
http://beta.weather.com/weather/wxclimat...h/CAXX0301

Montreal is great for summer but I doubt somebody from Georgia would enjoy it there during the colder months. Sure, the women are hot but you're gonna be freezing your balls off November-March.

Where are you located in Georgia?

As for the TO dating scene for black men, I agree, lots of hungry black dudes that hit on fatties that give black guys a bad reputation. But if you're cool and not creepy or over the top fake alpha you could do well in TO(compared to other guys). I know black friends who do well in Toronto.
However If you're Asian Toronto is pretty bad for you, the only blatant times I have seen racism were against my Asian friends.

Also the drinking age is 19 is TO so I would just go to a province with a 18+ drinking age.

Quote: (04-25-2012 06:24 PM)DevonHardy Wrote:  

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

Thanks for the advice. All and all, I really don't act "black". I know that's really bad to say, I mostly listen to Rock music (Post-Hardcore, Metalcore, Alternative, etc) skateboard, when I speak over the phone a lot of people think I'm white, which got my major points when speaking to Universities (in person). I know that probably won't matter.

Where I'm at (Georgia) I have black friends, but mostly white friends. But it sometimes gets me a bad rep my black broskis.

I see what you're thinking. But you're wrong. None of that will help you with women. At least not downtown. Downtown has a lot of black people who don't "act black." White people here, for the most part, don't like black people period -- it is not that they don't like black people who act a certain way. The same is true for other races (they don't like black people either).

Quote: (04-25-2012 06:39 PM)torontokid Wrote:  

Wait, you're in Georgia?

Why the hell would you move to Canada?

Montreal has fucking hot women but its freezing.
http://beta.weather.com/weather/wxclimat...h/CAXX0301

Montreal is great for summer but I doubt somebody from Georgia would enjoy it there during the colder months. Sure, the women are hot but you're gonna be freezing your balls off November-March.

Where are you located in Georgia?

As for the TO dating scene for black men, I agree, lots of hungry black dudes that hit on fatties that give black guys a bad reputation. But if you're cool and not creepy or over the top fake alpha you could do well in TO(compared to other guys). I know black friends who do well in Toronto.
However If you're Asian Toronto is pretty bad for you, the only blatant times I have seen racism were against my Asian friends.

Also the drinking age is 19 is TO so I would just go to a province with a 18+ drinking age.

I'm from Sandersville. Super small town, boring too. So, this was my plan since I was little I wanted to move to a huge city, IDK why but I just do lol.

I don't drink I'm Straight Edge, so I would have to worry about legal ages or anything like that. BTW, I thought Asians were pretty "over" everywhere. I see more interracial relationships (White - Asian) than more so with black people.

As a older black man, I would say Toronto would not be for you simply because there is alot of attitude here. As a black man you have to work very hard to get something decent, perhaps that would explain what Torontokid said about brotha's and fatties.

Montreal to me is also not an option for you, the city is the fashion capital of Canada and it is the closest thing to Europe this side of the Atlantic. Yes, they speak french but I have never had a problem there because I order drinks in French and make the effort to speak the language (my french level is high school). The women are nice but as I mentioned before they are stylish, sophisticated and are surrounded by a large haitian population.

I would do a search for posts by Scotian, I would strongly recommend St John's NFLD or Winnipeg.

I think Vancouver would be a good bet judging by your vibe and perhaps Edmonton might be worth a side visit.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I have been too the east cities and currently live in Halifax. I've gotta say the only city that stands out for an 18 year old is Montreal. Toronto sucks underage and Ottawa's a capital city.. Need I say more? Also Halifax NS is a great city for universities etc

Quote: (04-25-2012 06:43 PM)Indefatigable Wrote:  

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

I see what you're thinking. But you're wrong. None of that will help you with women. At least not downtown. Downtown has a lot of black people who don't "act black." White people here, for the most part, don't like black people period -- it is not that they don't like black people who act a certain way. The same is true for other races (they don't like black people either).

I believe you bro, it seems to be personal experiences for some people. Some guys I that I was talking to said they have had great times in Toronto and haven't heard a racist thing in their life.

But, like I said; I've read that some people also have bad experiences there, stuck up girls, not finding jobs, and the people being snobs, etc. I wouldn't know though.

Quote: (04-25-2012 07:47 PM)DevonHardy Wrote:  

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

I believe you bro, it seems to be personal experiences for some people. Some guys I that I was talking to said they have had great times in Toronto and haven't heard a racist thing in their life.

But, like I said; I've read that some people also have bad experiences there, stuck up girls, not finding jobs, and the people being snobs, etc. I wouldn't know though.

This is very true, I wonder how long ago your friends were here!

Our New Blog:

Quote: (04-25-2012 08:09 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

Haha, they weren't. I've been reading it in a lot of places. So you have had absolutely no luck with women there?

1) Vancouver

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Calgary

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that most or many black people have not heard a racist remark here. Canadians are too sophisticated for that. The racism is more subtle here (and more widespread). But black people are treated differently by the overwhelming majority of non-blacks. Some blacks are just too clueless to notice.

Quote: (04-25-2012 09:45 PM)DevonHardy Wrote:  

Haha, they weren't. I've been reading it in a lot of places. So you have had absolutely no luck with women there?

So you are saying your friends never came here, curious as to why you would choose Canada and not some country in the Caribbean, Central America or South America.

Our New Blog:

Quote: (04-25-2012 10:24 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Quote: (04-25-2012 09:45 PM)DevonHardy Wrote:  

So you are saying your friends never came here, curious as to why you would choose Canada and not some country in the Caribbean, Central America or South America.

It looks as if its a nice country, including the people (well at least that's what I thought). I really wanted to try a new scene, IDK why, I guess just to explore and meet new and interesting people.

If you're an outdoorsy type I'd definitely pick Vancouver. You say you don't act "black" and aren't into mainstream music. Vancouver is also good for this, good "hipster" scene, alright metal/punk scene. The stereotypical direct black guy game doesn't go over well here, but I don;t think you'd have a problem with that. It is however, really expensive to live here.

Theres lots of stuff to do here and most areas in town are pretty safe, the only sketchy areas would be east van (like main and east hastings) but even east hastings isnt really that sketchy/unsafe as there are cops all over the place, just don't take the side roads/go into parks after dark or back alleys, common sense basically.

The people here are friendly but not open to conversation. They aren't going to chew you out for approaching in the day, but they're not going to do anything to help your cause (I've had troubles talking to a girl in a coffee shop when I was obviously there with another girl)