rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

For me Size is everything, meat head till the casket drops

Disclaimer:

First off just to get things straight I'm not being paid to push any supplements and I'm not here to get into a pissing match about lifting weights and who's stronger and what's the best thing to do or take in the gym. This is just my personal story I felt like sharing with the forum and may even post on my blog. Summer is coming and if helps inspire anyone to step their game up in the gym or if you have questions I might be able to answer then so be it.

Backstory:

I've been working out for over 12 years straight so when it comes to me and my body I know what works well for me. When I'm coasting in the gym I'm around 168. When I'm on my good supplement I'm around 172 lean.

At the end of last year I lost my job and stopped working out for about three months. Times got pretty rough, slight depression set in, went on unemployment, couldn't afford supplements and didn't have the drive and motivation to hit the gym with my usual energy level. Fuck I was eating one meal a day and sleeping. I dropped down to 152 lbs easily. My clothes where falling off me, even my boxers. My game was aight but I just didn't feel my natural alpha self.

At the end of December I finally started a new job. My first major purchase was my favorite Mass Tech made from the company muscle tech. Link Here. This supplement is strictly to put on that weight! You take five scoops with water it's 700 calories! With skim milk it's 1000 fucking calories. Here's how I broke it down The first week I I did three scoops in water, The next 2 weeks or 3 weeks I did five scoops. After that I moved to 3 scoops in 2% milk for 1 week. Then moved to 5 scoops after that. By the end I was drinking five scoops plus half a thing of blueberry or strawberry yogurt.

I'd drink half the shake between breakfast and lunch and the other half of the shake before the gym on my ride after work.

Here was my week gains at the end of the week

Week 1 155
Week2 158
week3 162
Week4 166
week5 skipped no lifting or weigh in
week6 170
Week7 170 worked out 2 days only because of new job didn't eat for a whole day because of work schedule.
Week8 170
Week9 174
Week10 174
Week11 176
week12 skipped week
Week13 178
Today 180

What my workout week looks like day, sets, reps. This is just on average what the day looks like, from week to week I'll switch between dumbell and barbells for some exercises. I'd also switch the order of exercises preformed Incline bench first one week, flat first on chest day the next week. Lastly I started out with high number reps in early sets, then pyramided up to fewer reps but more weight on the last few sets

Monday: Back
Bent Over Rows 4 sets 8-5
Dumbbell pulls 3 sets 10-7
Lat pull downs 4 sets 8-6
Deadlifts 4 sets 10-5
Calves machine raises 4 sets 10-5

Tuesday: Chest
Flat bench dumbbell or barbell or Machine 5 X 10- 5
Incline bench or dumbbell or barbell or machine 4 x 10-5
Decline bench or dumbbell or machine 3 x 10-5
Fly incline or decline cables 3 x 10-5

Wednesday Legs

Squates 5 X 10-3
Leg press 3 x 10-6
Leg extension 4 X 10-6*
Hamstring curls 4 X10-6*
Seated calve raises 4 x 10-6*
* done in a circuit
barbell walking lunges 2 X 10 steps
Jump rope 3 x 1 minute attempted continuing
Dumbbell box jumps. Box is about lower thigh level right about the knee. Dumbbell on back of the neck 55lbs and 65 lbs 3 x 8

Thursday: Shoulders
Dumbbell presses or standing barbell press 4 x 10-6
dumbbell side raises or cable behind the back side raises 3 x 8-5
Bent over rear dealt or back dumbbell raises 3 x 8-5
front barbell raises or alternating dumbbell front raises 3 x 8-5

Friday: arms
At the lat pull down machine do tricep pull downs one set is with my hand closer together and elbows out for the outside part of the tricep then again with my hands a further apart and my elbows closer to my body to work inside part of the tricep Both sets are 1 set to me. 3 x 12-8.

Behind the head two hand dumbbell tricep press. 2 X10-8*
This was my favorite tricep movement until week 4 I injured my right tendon in my elbow really bad, I couldn't bench, shoulder press or do tricep work till week 8. Because of this I feel I would have had greater faster weight gain if not injured. I don't do them anymore. Instead I do weighted dips or close grip bench. 3 X 8-5

Triangle tricep pull downs 3 X10

Barbell curls 4 x 5
standing dumbbell alternating curls 2 x 10
Rope bicep curls 2 X 10 or reverse barbell isolation hammer curls 2 X10.

This is what I started out at... This was taken with my sony camera that broke. This is me at 155
[attachment=5636]

This is me taken tonight on my phone a nokia piece of shit. I apologize for the poor quality
[attachment=5637]
[attachment=5638]

Aftermath

Now days, things are extra gravy. I was lucky enough to start putting on the mass in winter when most of the big boys put on the pounds. I will be honest with you guys. This was one of the hardest things I've done lifting wise. The injury really set me back, but besides that at the end I honestly felt fat and full at all times. This was about three months and I was sick of food and the damn thick ass shakes. I wanted to hit 180Lbs and once I did I was good.

One thing to think about is that balance and tipping point where you're going to half to start buying a new wardrobe. Right now things fit ok a little tight on T's Suit pants a little snug but not too bad over all. Another six pounds though and I'll have to buy new clothes which I don't feel like doing.

Being back to my top physical best for me is a game changer. I can't see living life any other way. I notice the respect other guys give me when my friends and I come through in any environment, none of that bullshit not stepping out of the way in crowded situations or trying to show off and act hard in front of their girls. I don't even half to bring up the girls that peep and respect the size. They find a way to feel me up on the regular but the main point is I feel great, I feel like a real alpha man. Please don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm the biggest man in the planet or I lift the most. I'm just saying for me being 5'10 and maybe 8% body fat, I'll fucking take this in a hard beat.

Next Steps:

So winter was for gaining that nasty fat weight, Spring I'm going to shape it up more. I've stopped with the weight gainer but got on some celltech/ creatine and high end low calorie whey protein. I plan on cutting it up during spring, getting leaner and slightly bigger. I like creatine because the gains are mostly strength through water weight. But the thing is once you get off it it's easy to lose the water weight and look fucking lean.

Holla!

Virgle Kent

[email protected]

Twitter @VKsempireofdirt

Good stuff.

You had a great frame.

You look big at 155!

Gotta have the dream body to live the dream life.

Sorry I forgot to ask, does anyone have a similar plan or have taken a weight lifting supplement that have similar or better results? Anything to help put on size a little fast that I might try next year, I want to get to 190 lbs next winter.... get at me.

Virgle Kent

[email protected]

Twitter @VKsempireofdirt

Quote: (04-05-2012 08:47 PM)raliv Wrote:  

Hm, for someone who only lifts heavy weights you seem to be really cut up! Do you do much cardio?

Quote: (04-05-2012 09:05 PM)BCZalgyris Wrote:  

Quote: (04-05-2012 08:47 PM)raliv Wrote:  

Hm, for someone who only lifts heavy weights you seem to be really cut up! Do you do much cardio?

Nope not really, right now just jump roping once a week a few times. During spring and summer I'll Incline walk to a slow jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes that's about it.

I'm Nigerian, got lucky with the genetics and fast metab

Virgle Kent

[email protected]

Twitter @VKsempireofdirt

How tall are you?

Quote: (04-05-2012 08:42 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Good stuff.

You had a great frame.

You look big at 155!

yeah i think he's underestimating himself at 155, he's still a big dude at that weight.

looking good. albeit, i think way too many guys think they have to be jacked in order to get girls. the number of people i know in college / uni who go to the gym solely for girls is ridiculous. these same guys usually have terrible diets and see little to no gains. clearly you've found a life long passion. props to you.

Quote: (04-05-2012 10:45 PM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

looking good. albeit, i think way too many guys think they have to be jacked in order to get girls. the number of people i know in college / uni who go to the gym solely for girls is ridiculous. these same guys usually have terrible diets and see little to no gains. clearly you've found a life long passion. props to you.

You do not have to be jacked to get girls, but it's one piece that helps. Right now I'm not in great shape, and it for sure makes me feel not as good as I normally do. Ive been training again the past few weeks and am slowly getting closer to where I'd like to be, and it feels good.

I like the quote "If you look good, you feel good, you play good". Heard it from Terrell Owens, who I'm not a big fan of, but it's a good quote and holds true IMO. Good clothes, body, hair cut, etc. all go a long way in how you feel.

And props to VK for the hard work. Sure that couldn't have been easy.

Is it okay to work out all the parts of the body in one day(Chest, Back, Arms, legs on Monday and repeat Wednesday and Friday) or is it better to do a section of the body a day(Chest on Monday, Legs on wednesdays, Arms on Friday) ?????

you need a workout split bro

Hey bro you look fine now. Just keep at it.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote: (04-06-2012 01:35 AM)RaulValdez739 Wrote:  

Is it okay to work out all the parts of the body in one day(Chest, Back, Arms, legs on Monday and repeat Wednesday and Friday) or is it better to do a section of the body a day(Chest on Monday, Legs on wednesdays, Arms on Friday) ?????

If you are new to working out then follow Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength. Grab it from amazon or you can Google "starting strength wiki" and get most of the info there. Do the program exactly as written, don't make changes and you will see amazing results very, very quickly.

Have you ever ridden a bicycle? (just curious, don't wanna take anything away from your gains)

Either way, looks good.

Quote: (04-06-2012 12:25 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

You do not have to be jacked to get girls, but it's one piece that helps. Right now I'm not in great shape, and it for sure makes me feel not as good as I normally do. Ive been training again the past few weeks and am slowly getting closer to where I'd like to be, and it feels good.

I like the quote "If you look good, you feel good, you play good". Heard it from Terrell Owens, who I'm not a big fan of, but it's a good quote and holds true IMO. Good clothes, body, hair cut, etc. all go a long way in how you feel.

And props to VK for the hard work. Sure that couldn't have been easy.

There are different ways to get jacked. I'm going the bruce lee way, want to minimise my body fat and really work on my muscles, but in a productive way and not purely mass-gaining.

Bruce lee was 165cm and under 60kg in his top condition. I'm 168cm and 76kg. 3 months ago i was 85kg. In terms of BMI that's obese, although I didn't look it. So glad the slow-carb and intermittent fasting has worked for me so far. I'll probably never be as ripped as Bruce, but if i can approach 70kg, I think i'm doing something right.

Also instead of doing heavy weights and lifting, i've just been working out at home. Squats, pushups, crunches, stretching... the only thing i need is a chin-up bar to focus on my back and biceps, which i'm shopping for at the moment.

Anyway, TLDR version - size doesn't matter as much as health and fitness does.

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

Quote: (04-06-2012 03:31 AM)Tengen Wrote:  

Anyway, TLDR version - size doesn't matter as much as health and fitness does.

This. Functional strength > Mass.

Quote: (04-06-2012 05:45 AM)Lukey Wrote:  

Please define "Functional strength"

That is a word thrown around way too often for my taste... (thanks crossfit)

Quote: (04-06-2012 06:15 AM)bface Wrote:  

Haha fair play. I am not a crossfitter although I suppose I should of said functional fitness as this is closer to what I meant.

Functional fitness/strength to me is the elements of strength, endurance, balance and agility working in equilibrium at a manageable or retainable weight. I do a lot of MMA and it is therefore my primary source of a workout. The strength/weight ratio I am therefore after is no doubt different to what some guys seek, however I am of the school of thought that would prefer to know that I can react, lift, run or hold my own for example, in comparison to being able to lift a steel pole with a number of plates on it in a fixed position.

Quote: (04-06-2012 06:39 AM)Lukey Wrote:  

Haha fair play. I am not a crossfitter although I suppose I should of said functional fitness as this is closer to what I meant.

Functional fitness/strength to me is the elements of strength, endurance, balance and agility working in equilibrium at a manageable or retainable weight. I do a lot of MMA and it is therefore my primary source of a workout. The strength/weight ratio I am therefore after is no doubt different to what some guys seek, however I am of the school of thought that would prefer to know that I can react, lift, run or hold my own for example, in comparison to being able to lift a steel pole with a number of plates on it in a fixed position.

Cool. Can definitely relate as I train MMA too.

Have you read Joel Jamieson's stuff? If not, I really recommend it.

Strength is one of many attributes that are important (for MMA) and the best way to train strength is with a bar and plates.

So if you want to train all those attributes, do it but keep them separate (block training if necessary). Training each attribute with the method most effective for it.

If you mix things together, your gains will be limited (there are a few things you can mix though if you really know what you are doing).

But we are getting off topic here [Image: biggrin.gif]
OP is interested in volume and not strength.

Quote: (04-06-2012 06:15 AM)bface Wrote:  

I like to refer to the following little anecdote:

Quote:Quote:

Dan Inosanto, another of Lee's close friends and himself an instructor in Lee's art, adds that Lee was only interested in strength that could readily be converted to power. "I remember once Bruce and I were walking along the beach in Santa Monica, out by where the 'Dungeon' (an old-time bodybuilding gym) used to be," recalls Inosanto, "when all of a sudden this big, huge bodybuilder came walking out of the Dungeon and I said to Bruce, 'Man, look at the arms on that guy!' I'll never forget Bruce's reaction, he said 'Yeah, he's big -- but is he powerful? Can he use that extra muscle efficiently?"

Power, according to Lee, lay in an individual's ability to use the strength developed in the gym quickly and efficiently; in other words, power was the measure of how quickly and effectively one could summon and coordinate strength for "real-world" purposes. On this basis, according to those who worked out with Lee from time to time such as martial arts actor Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee -- pound for pound-- might well have been one of the most powerful men in the world.

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

Yo VK! "Every Thursday - the spot"

Where are those squats? You wanna be an Alpha with some big T, you got to do more compound lifts.

Quote: (04-06-2012 08:55 AM)ATTA Wrote:  

Yo VK! "Every Thursday - the spot"

Where are those squats? You wanna be an Alpha with some big T, you got to do more compound lifts.

Read my Wednesday workout

Virgle Kent

[email protected]

Twitter @VKsempireofdirt

I think it's a very difficult, time consuming, and at time expensive for some guys to get jacked. It's a weird combination of those things plus genetics. I don't think you have to be jacked to get girls but like I said mixed with game and everything else it doesn't hurt. Also I'm not a typical meat head who thinks only being jacked is the only way to get girls.

It's like being rich, you don't need it to get girls but it sure doesn't hurt.

Virgle Kent

[email protected]

Twitter @VKsempireofdirt

Quote: (04-06-2012 01:35 AM)RaulValdez739 Wrote:  

actually just depends on what you have time for and how your week looks. I think there are limits to how far you can push your body for size if you do all your body parts in one day. For instance you're not supposed to spend more than and hour and 45 minutes in the gym total right. So what would give you bigger gains all around spending that whole time working out your whole body or the same amount of time on a specific body part?

Virgle Kent

[email protected]

Twitter @VKsempireofdirt