rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best Ready-To-Wear Suit Brands?

What brands do you guys have experience with and can vouch?

I had a Calvin Klein ready to wear suit that worked pretty well until I outgrew it (one of the disadvantages of working out is the need for new clothes).

I've tried on Zara, which didn't fit well, and Hugo Boss, which did (very well actually). I know Hugo Boss makes fine clothing, but I don't have much experience with the other brands.

Which brands do you guys suggest, or do you suggest finding one of those Hong Kong suit tailors and sending in your measurements to them?

[Image: 4.jpg][Image: hugo-boss-suit.png]

Quote: (02-07-2012 09:05 PM)kerouac Wrote:  

What brands do you guys have experience with and can vouch?

I had a Calvin Klein ready to wear suit that worked pretty well until I outgrew it (one of the disadvantages of working out is the need for new clothes).

I've tried on Zara, which didn't fit well, and Hugo Boss, which did (very well actually). I know Hugo Boss makes fine clothing, but I don't have much experience with the other brands.

Which brands do you guys suggest, or do you suggest finding one of those Hong Kong suit tailors and sending in your measurements to them?

[Image: 4.jpg][Image: hugo-boss-suit.png]

I have a Calvin Klein black pinstripe business suit that is decent. It's funny what you say about working out because I had the same problem. I also have an HB tan suit with nice contours that I still rock. Brooks Brothers is my favorite brand. They make good suits too. What I like about them is they do traditional classic attire. That stuff will always be relevant. You can pass it down to the next generation. It's that legit.

Do you have links for the Hong Kong tailors you've mentioned? I have a couple of friends who've been to China on buying trips and had mostly good things to say about it.

Quote: (02-07-2012 09:13 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Do you have links for the Hong Kong tailors you've mentioned? I have a couple of friends who've been to China on buying trips and had mostly good things to say about it.

I just googled "hong kong tailor los angeles" and a couple came up with touring tailors who measure you (they go on measuring tours around the US) and then get the items shipped to you. I know in a lot of China Towns there are various shops that do the same thing, but I'm guessing it's cheaper going through the China Town shops.

The one thing I've heard that I want to eventually do is get a perfect fitting suit (no matter how expensive) and then take it to one of these cheaper tailors and have them copy it exactly with various fabrics. But that's for way down the line when I need multiple suits. For now I just need one since there aren't too many times you need a full suit in Southern California (for most jobs).

I posted this on a similar thread. Suit Supply looks like your best bet for $500. Respected style blog Put This On effectively said it's a great suit for that price point, given its construction, patterns and fabrics. I think the patterns are bold yet tasteful, and definitely conducive to macking. Aside from any thrift shop buys, the next suit I'll buy will probably be from Suit Supply.

Source: http://putthison.com/post/14122203816/we...n-my-short

There's also a shop called Thick as Thieves, based in LA, that offers superior construction supposedly, but their suits don't look as good to my eye. They also don't have professional photographers like Suit Supply, to make their suits look great.

A lot of people have tried the Chinese custom route and found it wanting. You may be disappointed is all, especially if you know nothing about the process. I don't myself, but I do know that each place has it's own cut and style, so choose wisely - you don't want to be left with an unflattering cut. There's more than one way to skin a suit.

Quote: (02-08-2012 12:00 AM)basilransom Wrote:  

A lot of people have tried the Chinese custom route and found it wanting. You may be disappointed is all, especially if you know nothing about the process.

I had mixed-to-positive success. The shirts I bought look good and fit well, and the price is less expensive than if I bought off-the-rack and took them to a tailor to fit, plus you can get the fabric and pattern you want. The trousers look good as well.

I'm less thrilled about the jacket (I didn't spring for a full suit for the first experiment); it fits well but wound up a fairly conservative cut and not as flattering as I'd prefer.

I'd tentatively recommend the idea, just for the experience if nothing else; it's good practice for learning to ask for what you want, if nothing else (better to make those mistakes on a cheap traveling tailor than blow thousands at Savile Row asking for the wrong thing).

OP, if you're on a budget, J.Crew definitely does the job.

You might have to go with their "Factory" line, but their stuff often requires little to no tailoring work.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_catego.../39603.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_catego.../29132.jsp

For mid-range spenders going for ready-to-wear, I typically recommend Joseph Abboud. Pretty dope modern designs at a fair price. High quality too - will survive a couple hundred dry cleanings easy... I work in a combined tailoring shop/tuxedo rental shop owned by 2nd generation Italians.

I generally don't recommend ready-to-wear "Made In Italy" suiting, mostly because it comes with a premium price for the label, but is made by tens of thousands of illegal Chinese immigrants in Italy.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Quote: (02-08-2012 01:13 AM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

For mid-range spenders going for ready-to-wear, I typically recommend Joseph Abboud. Pretty dope modern designs at a fair price. High quality too - will survive a couple hundred dry cleanings easy... I work in a combined tailoring shop/tuxedo rental shop owned by 2nd generation Italians.

I generally don't recommend ready-to-wear "Made In Italy" suiting, mostly because it comes with a premium price for the label, but is made by tens of thousands of illegal Chinese immigrants in Italy.

I have 4 Abboud sport jacket...I love them. You can get them at outlet places like Nordstrom Rack or Saks Off 5th, sometimes for under $200.

I was at a local Sak's Off 5th a while ago and they had some beautiful Versace suits, one was under $400. I tried one on in my size -- well, it as joke. My shoulders and chest are big from lifting, and there's no way I could get into that cut. It's meant for a David Beckham body type.

I like Hickey Freeman or Brooks Brothers for suits. Yes they are traditional but the cut works for me. Again, go to the outlet stores.

The best off the rack suits I ever got was an Oxxford.

http://oxxfordclothes.com/home.aspx
http://www.directclothiers.com/Oxxford_s/3.htm

Unbelievable fabric. Bought them in the 90s at a Filene's basement at a huge discount -- and I think they were then in the $400 range.

Made by hand in Chicago.

If you ever see one in your size for under $500 at an outlet store, don't hesitate. Grab it.

As for off the rack suits I prefer Theory. I have a slim athletic bulid, being a former Tennis player. The cut of their suits is slim and is versatile for business wear or going out.

If you live in LA, Barneys is having there warehouse sale this weekend. It might be worth it go & to try on a lot of off the rack suits from different brands. I have gone to one in NYC for the last few years. The suits I remember trying on are; Hugo Boss, Hickey Freeman, Burberry, Canali & Micheal Kors. There are also a number of brands that are always there it might depend on your size. The inventory usually changes during the duration of the sale. They advertise up to 75% off, but its more reasonable to expect up to 50% off the retail price.

http://www.barneys.com/Barneys-New-York-...lt,pg.html

Quote:Quote:

When you are going off the rack, different brands are going to fit certain people better than others.

You just have to try them on.

I wrote up Data sheets on The G Manifesto years ago about how different brands rank.

I would check those and go from there.

It is amazing how "suit bonkers" this site has become.

Quote: (02-08-2012 10:55 AM)goodfella Wrote:  

As for off the rack suits I prefer Theory. I have a slim athletic bulid, being a former Tennis player. The cut of their suits is slim and is versatile for business wear or going out.

If you live in LA, Barneys is having there warehouse sale this weekend. It might be worth it go & to try on a lot of off the rack suits from different brands. I have gone to one in NYC for the last few years. The suits I remember trying on are; Hugo Boss, Hickey Freeman, Burberry, Canali & Micheal Kors. There are also a number of brands that are always there it might depend on your size. The inventory usually changes during the duration of the sale. They advertise up to 75% off, but its more reasonable to expect up to 50% off the retail price.

Thanks for this, I think I'm going to check it out. Is the stuff on the website representative of what's on sale?

Haha, I found a jacket on their site that they buttoned wrong.

Quote: (02-08-2012 12:02 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Thanks for this, I think I'm going to check it out. Is the stuff on the website representative of what's on sale?

In terms of suits that I've seen, you wont see alot or any of the higher end brands available for sale (Dolce, Black Fleece, Bottega, Band Of Outsiders, etc...) But the brands available can vary from sale to sale one sale they may have a shit load of Hickey Freeman, the next only 8 suits are on the rack)
In NYC they have a special rack for the high end brands but there usually sample sale sizes and maybe 3 suits in total are for sale for one brand. Last year I tried on a gray 2 button Band of Outsider Suit which was too tight on me. The next sale in August I didnt see any on the rack. Most likely the bulk of suits for sale are going to be the ones I mentioned before.

The sale is held every Febuary and August & its meant to make room for the Spring and Fall collections respectively. The sales are always worth a trip as they have everything on sale (shoes, collar shirts, sweaters, T Shirts, Jackets, Jeans, Dress Pants, shorts, blazers, ties....you get the idea).
Two years ago I bought a killer Public Shool leather Jacket for over 50% off retail. Other sales I walked out with nothing because I didnt see anything I really wanted or needed.

Quote: (02-08-2012 10:38 AM)tenderman100 Wrote:  

I have 4 Abboud sport jacket...I love them. You can get them at outlet places like Nordstrom Rack or Saks Off 5th, sometimes for under $200.

I like Hickey Freeman or Brooks Brothers for suits. Yes they are traditional but the cut works for me. Again, go to the outlet stores.

The best off the rack suits I ever got was an Oxxford.

http://oxxfordclothes.com/home.aspx
http://www.directclothiers.com/Oxxford_s/3.htm

Unbelievable fabric. Bought them in the 90s at a Filene's basement at a huge discount -- and I think they were then in the $400 range.

Made by hand in Chicago.

If you ever see one in your size for under $500 at an outlet store, don't hesitate. Grab it.

Yeah- good call on the Oxxfords. For business wear, it works. You can also find Burberry's around for cheap; I have one on now and the wool is out of control...It works for an conservative crowd. No matter how hard I try i can't pimp my Burberry out; Malcolm X would be spinning in his grave.

Ideally, suits should do double duty work and personal. My favorite off the rack suits for all-around Scotty Pippen-like game are Hugo Boss and Polo in greys and blacks. Versatile as hell and pretty much timeless (remember the current, hip Mad Men stuff won't be current and hip forever; let your accessories do the hip stuff). For summertime action the Brooks Brothers stuff is nice, high quality and can be paired with flowers, pimpy pocket squares and pink shirts n' stuff.

My next off the rack suit will be a Samuelsohn grey (gable maybe w/pinstripe). They are sweet as f---. Samuelsohn is based in Montreal, so people going there may be able to find one for cheap, like Oxxford in Chicago.
[Image: Samuelsohn28.jpg]

also; check out Matches' sales section for deals on high end off the rack suits.
http://www.matchesfashion.com

For off the rack go to a high-end suit shop or Nordstrom rack to try some on. Different companies fit you differently so this is a free way to figure it out before you buy on line for the discount.

Quote: (02-08-2012 12:42 PM)goodfella Wrote:  

In terms of suits that I've seen, you wont see alot or any of the higher end brands available for sale (Dolce, Black Fleece, Bottega, Band Of Outsiders, etc...) But the brands available can vary from sale to sale one sale they may have a shit load of Hickey Freeman, the next only 8 suits are on the rack)
In NYC they have a special rack for the high end brands but there usually sample sale sizes and maybe 3 suits in total are for sale for one brand. Last year I tried on a gray 2 button Band of Outsider Suit which was too tight on me. The next sale in August I didnt see any on the rack. Most likely the bulk of suits for sale are going to be the ones I mentioned before.

The sale is held every Febuary and August & its meant to make room for the Spring and Fall collections respectively. The sales are always worth a trip as they have everything on sale (shoes, collar shirts, sweaters, T Shirts, Jackets, Jeans, Dress Pants, shorts, blazers, ties....you get the idea).
Two years ago I bought a killer Public Shool leather Jacket for over 50% off retail. Other sales I walked out with nothing because I didnt see anything I really wanted or needed.

Sounds like it will be better for the accessories and miscellaneous items than the suits. I checked out the suits, and there isn't much in the way of patterns - I figure if I'm going to spend a lot of money, I'd like something that shows a little more taste and interest than a simple charcoal number. Do you patronize StyleForum? I don't, but I was wondering how these sales compare to prices on there. To date, my sources for high end suits have been thrift shops and once at Marshall's, but these are very hit or miss.

Quote: (02-08-2012 01:37 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Quote: (02-08-2012 12:42 PM)goodfella Wrote:  

Sounds like it will be better for the accessories and miscellaneous items than the suits. I checked out the suits, and there isn't much in the way of patterns - I figure if I'm going to spend a lot of money, I'd like something that shows a little more taste and interest than a simple charcoal number. Do you patronize StyleForum? I don't, but I was wondering how these sales compare to prices on there. To date, my sources for high end suits have been thrift shops and once at Marshall's, but these are very hit or miss.
True it depends on what style or look you are going for now and everyone's budget is different.

Normally I would sugget for anyone in the market for a new off the rack suit is to go to a big department store (Bloomingdales) and try on alot of different brands to get an idea how each cut is different. Like G says you have to try them on to find out what works. Personally I would rarley buy clothes online as I like to try on an item in the flesh before purchase.
But in this instance it might be worth the OP's time to perform the same exercise at the Barneys sale and if he's lucky to find one worthy for purchase, he would get it for ~50% on a Barney's quality suit....not bad.

Im not on StyleForum, but I will definetly check it out.

If you're cheap and athletic/slim you could get an Alfani Red suit separates at Macy's

Each one goes for under 300 and sometimes(like right now) for 200 bucks:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alfan...?ID=301933

Quote: (02-08-2012 02:36 PM)goodfella Wrote:  

True it depends on what style or look you are going for now and everyone's budget is different.

Normally I would sugget for anyone in the market for a new off the rack suit is to go to a big department store (Bloomingdales) and try on alot of different brands to get an idea how each cut is different. Like G says you have to try them on to find out what works. Personally I would rarley buy clothes online as I like to try on an item in the flesh before purchase.
But in this instance it might be worth the OP's time to perform the same exercise at the Barneys sale and if he's lucky to find one worthy for purchase, he would get it for ~50% on a Barney's quality suit....not bad.

Im not on StyleForum, but I will definetly check it out.

StyleForum's Buying and Selling is supposed to be one of the better sources, in addition to eBay. But both require effort and waiting. From what I've seen, the flash sales sites like Gilt Groupe are probably more trouble than they're worth.

I actually own one or two Hickey Freemans, and an Oxxford or two (one has a store label, but it feels exactly like the Oxxford labeled one). Oxxford has incredible quality, but it isn't very shapely, though that can be enhanced with some tailoring. My Hickey double-breasted is actually a great fit, has a nice tapered fit around the torso and a natural shoulder with high armholes, with a subtle windowpane pattern on a slightly heathered navy, really couldn't ask for better.

I've heard good things about Ralph Lauren Black Label, and that it's very slim fitting, without being affectedly skinny, like the fashion labels. Not sure if you can just size up if you're a little muscular though.

Problem with most typical stores is that they don't have anything good. It's like if you went to Ross and concluded that all suits suck. Which is a fair description, of the suits at Ross that is. It's good to go to a variety of stores.

Also, I'm convinced most people have better taste than they realize, they just aren't exposed to good clothes. I've gotten compliments on clothes from people who knew little which tells me they know what looks good. But there's no way they could get my clothes without going out of their way and changing where they shop to get them.

hugo boss works best for me (lineman/powerflifter type build)

but the drop is almost not big enough anymore. if my shoulders keep getting bigger im going to have to go all custom or separates

Custom suits would be my top choice, however if you are looking at off the rack on a budget, you can't go wrong with Boss: http://store-us.hugoboss.com/mens-suits/...US,sc.html

Get a good tailor, drop a few dollars (euros) and get the suit fitted.

Quote: (02-08-2012 11:10 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

When you are going off the rack, different brands are going to fit certain people better than others.

You just have to try them on.

I wrote up Data sheets on The G Manifesto years ago about how different brands rank.

I would check those and go from there.

It is amazing how "suit bonkers" this site has become.

It seems like a reflection of what's going on in the "menswear style world". I know guys who work in the industry and they've been pushing suits for the past few years. Probably a little bit of a backlash to the ed hardy/skinny jeans/hipster shit that dominated the last decade. I think in the next few years, we'll see more and more dudes suiting up. Also, the fact that most guys are realizing how dope suits are.

For guys new to suits who want to try it out without breaking the bank, I would try H&M. They are a little more fashion forward and if you're slim/athletic, you'll look sharp. In the spring/summer they offer some nice cotton or linen options that you can get for $100 or less. Stay away from the polyester/viscose junk. I've had a lot of compliments when wearing my linen suit or just the blazer in the summer.

double post

I went out tonight looking to a buy a new suit for hitting up the bars on Valentine's day. Ended up at Jos A Banks and bought a dope grey cashmere sport coat on sale for $300. Also got a red and white candy stripe tie. I have plenty of nice dress pants and shirts to put it together with.

Team Nachos