rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Let's talk cigars

Let's talk cigars

I'm no cigar connoisseur but I like that they generally last longer, burn evenly, have interesting flavor than cigarettes, and no need to inhale to relax me and enjoy the cigar.

I'd like to start a habit of smoking one or two for any accomplishment or positive milestone in my life.

Any recommendations on brands or country of origin?

And since I'm keeping one till the milestone happens, will my cigar box suffice in storing it or should I just wait till I buy it from the cigar store? How long will a cigar last if stored without a humidifier.

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 09:44 AM)Enfant_Terrible Wrote:  

I'm no cigar connoisseur but I like that they generally last longer, burn evenly, have interesting flavor than cigarettes, and no need to inhale to relax me and enjoy the cigar.

I'd like to start a habit of smoking one or two for any accomplishment or positive milestone in my life.

And since I'm keeping one till the milestone happens, will my cigar box suffice in storing it or should I just wait till I buy it from the cigar store? How long will a cigar last if stored without a humidifier.

I have smoked quite a few cigar brands in my life -- remember, I am an old fart.

I have had all of the Dominican legal brands in the USA, Upmann's, Partagas, among others.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to a Cuban Montecristo #2.

[Image: Montecristo-No-2-10-Product.jpg]

There are many sites on the intertubes that CLAIM they can ship you Cuban cigars, but I have never bought any -- I think there are a lot of frauds out there.

Your best bet is to find a tobacconist, buy a cigar a week for a few months so you are a regular...and then ask if they have any or can get you some. I did that for a while at local shop and I had #2s basically anytime I wanted them until, alas, his source dried up.

Let's talk cigars

To me, cigars are like whiskey. They come in four quality levels: sublime, good, bad, and dog-awful. Even the bad ones are pretty good. The awful ones are to be avoided least they ruin your tastes.

Any decent cigar shop attendant should be able to give you a few pointers. If you plan on doing it only for special ocassions, it worthwhile to spend a little extra on your pleasures, its all better in the end. It actually gives you more enjoyment out of it.

For landmark smoking only, I dont think youll need to invest in a humidor. Buy as needed.

Let's talk cigars

Go to a cigar shop, if you come to Vancouver go to City Cigar. The salespeople there gave me a rundown on the history of cigars, where they came from why people like cubans better etc.
I've only had a few, but I like the churchill shape its bigger and obviously looks more badass. My favourite one i've smoked is a romeo et julieta corona [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoqmUGDKhSIHtsxA80lE7...uh7C4e1Jxw]

I also found the cubans on average to be smoother whereas the dominicans were super strong.

Let's talk cigars

[Image: 391157_Bill-Clinton--Cigar-Man.jpg]

Let's talk cigars

Cohiba Behike BHK 52

Let's talk cigars

Cohiba !

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 10:26 AM)tenderman100 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-07-2012 09:44 AM)Enfant_Terrible Wrote:  

I have smoked quite a few cigar brands in my life -- remember, I am an old fart.

I have had all of the Dominican legal brands in the USA, Upmann's, Partagas, among others.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to a Cuban Montecristo #2.

[Image: Montecristo-No-2-10-Product.jpg]

There are many sites on the intertubes that CLAIM they can ship you Cuban cigars, but I have never bought any -- I think there are a lot of frauds out there.

Your best bet is to find a tobacconist, buy a cigar a week for a few months so you are a regular...and then ask if they have any or can get you some. I did that for a while at local shop and I had #2s basically anytime I wanted them until, alas, his source dried up.

Thanks Tenderman, Montecristo's were my first Cubans and I repurposed the wooden box to hold my outgoing stuff (wallet, keys, cash, etc). I was amazed that I didn't need to flick the ashes with these things.

Re: Internet resellers
I've encountered online resellers supposedly based in Switzerland I don't know if they're legit. Maybe someone can shed light on this.

Tobacconists...
There's two near me and both have a wide selection. Didn't ask if they had the Montecristos but I'll come back.

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 11:36 AM)TudoBem Wrote:  

[Image: 391157_Bill-Clinton--Cigar-Man.jpg]

No I don't want any cigar with fat girl ass flavor.

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 04:04 PM)YoungGunner Wrote:  

Cohiba Behike BHK 52

Quote: (02-07-2012 05:10 PM)Alfonzo Wrote:  

Cohiba !

Curious. Why?

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 10:32 AM)germanico Wrote:  

To me, cigars are like whiskey. They come in four quality levels: sublime, good, bad, and dog-awful. Even the bad ones are pretty good. The awful ones are to be avoided least they ruin your tastes.

Any decent cigar shop attendant should be able to give you a few pointers. If you plan on doing it only for special ocassions, it worthwhile to spend a little extra on your pleasures, its all better in the end. It actually gives you more enjoyment out of it.

For landmark smoking only, I dont think youll need to invest in a humidor. Buy as needed.

Re: bad/god awful cigars
God bless the Philippines, but they make mini cigars on the cheap that don't burn well and have ok flavor. Still good for chillin' purposes and a nice substitute for cigarettes. My Dutch friends gave me a few over the New Years after their Philippine trip.

This will sound absurd, but the worst ones that I've smelled (not smoked) were smoked by some men in Las Vegas literally smelled like shit. I don't know what brand that is but I don't want it.

I have not spoken to the attendants in my local stores yet but will do.

Didn't even think of spending a little extra for an occasional cigar, thanks.

Let's talk cigars

I'm pretty fond of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway series. Fuente moved operations to the Dominican Republic after the 1960 Cuban Embargo. Smooth burn, great flavor, and none too expensive.

Highly recommended. Enjoy with a dram of Scotch or brandy.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 11:05 AM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Go to a cigar shop, if you come to Vancouver go to City Cigar. The salespeople there gave me a rundown on the history of cigars, where they came from why people like cubans better etc.
I've only had a few, but I like the churchill shape its bigger and obviously looks more badass. My favourite one i've smoked is a romeo et julieta corona [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoqmUGDKhSIHtsxA80lE7...uh7C4e1Jxw]

I also found the cubans on average to be smoother whereas the dominicans were super strong.

I actually want to try out the Churchills precisely because of the size and maybe it'll last longer. (And for those of you reading this...a cigar is just a cigar in this case, get your mind out of the gutter [Image: smile.gif] )

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 05:44 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

I'm pretty fond of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway series. Fuente moved operations to the Dominican Republic after the 1960 Cuban Embargo. Smooth burn, great flavor, and none too expensive.

What scotch or brandy is good with the Hemingways?

Let's talk cigars

Still getting used to this stuff, but go to Nicaragua for an interesting cigar experience. Direct flights from Miami and Houston.

I spent a weekend in Esteli checking out cigar factories. Padróns, the most famous, made only for export, are hard to come by unless you buy them stolen. Usually in Granada. The story behind Padrón is inspiring.

But hand-rolled cigars of top-quality cost about 1UDS a piece, where in the States it could easily be as much as 15. The factories in Esteli churn out a shitload of cigars for numerous brands. But it's often all the same cigar!

Man, I miss Nica. Too bad the chicks are so damn ugly and Ortega is sucha whacko. That place is a gem.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Let's talk cigars

Anyone got any tips on cigar game? Can you bust out a stogie in any old bar are do you run to much of a risk of being "That guy"?

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Let's talk cigars

Poor Americans with your damn embargo. That is a crime.

Been enjoying the odd cigar to celebrate for a few years now. New Years, birthdays, big achievements, birth of my god son. Grab a bottle of scotch, a smoke and some good friend. Enjoy!

Cohiba all the way. I have had a few different varieties and they always blow me away. There Rubustos are a great start for a newbie, not a huge cigar, nice smooth flavour. Then try out there Siglo range, talk to the guy in the smoke shope about the differnt flavours and try what sounds good to your pallete. Some like spicy flavours, some like sweet, some like earthy - some cigars even deliver all three. I've had a few nice Romeo y Julieta's, Bolivar make a nice cigar as well.

Most importantly learn to cut/pierce the cap correctly (do not chew off the end or cut a big piece) and light correctly so you get an even burn and good draw. Took me some trial and error and research, was hard to sort the shit advice from the good online.

What ive found so far is to use a fine razor blade like kinfe and cut the cap just cut around the edge barelly a mill or two in from the end. Once you have the cap off or pierced its a good idea to blow through the cigar, not hard like a balloon, but enough so you can feel the air coming out the other end. This will help with the draw, some say it can also get out impurites or some shit - I dont really buy it.

Then light the sucker. Some die hards will tell you to avoid gas lighters like a zippo because the fluid taints the cigar. The best way is to use a cedar strip, light that then use the strip to light your cigar. Wood matches are a simpler solution. Butane lighters (pretty sure Zippo now make one called BLU) are the next best, far more convenient. However for my taste buds I cant notice the bad taste of a regular lighter. What the pros do that I agree with is to be really particular about how you light it. The method I use is pretty much described - http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/lifestyl...nformation Your not scorching the end like a cigaret.

Some cigars, particularly if they have been rolled to tight and you haven't been puffing away too much will burn out. Thats ok, just re-light. Also you don't have to smoke the cigar all at once, flick the ash off, DO NOT stub it out but just let it sit and it should stop burning soon. Also in my experience most cigars good flavour diminishes rapidy with about 1/3 left - don't smoke it till your finger tips.

As for scotches to smoke with, for something affordable and light try Monkey Shoulder - its not a single malt, but its cheaper and tastes better than many single malts double even triple its price. I love Tamdhu for middle of the road. Either of those are also great for newbies and women. Glenmorangie's Nectar d'Or, Ardberg and Laphroig are all great for something with a bit more balls. I particularly like Laphroigs Quater Cask with a full bodied cigar. Suntory and Bailiie Nicol Jarvis are also options for lighter.
If your a bourbon man, Knob Creek or Basil Hayden are a fair substitute.

But take my recomendations with a pinch of salt in terms of both cigars and drink. Everyones taste is different, talk to the guy in the shop, hell talk you through the different flavors and notes each cigar produces and try one that sounds good to you. Just steer clear of the cheap shit - your better off saving your money and inhaling exhuast fumes in some cases.

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 08:16 PM)basil Wrote:  

Poor Americans with your damn embargo. That is a crime.

Been enjoying the odd cigar to celebrate for a few years now. New Years, birthdays, big achievements, birth of my god son. Grab a bottle of scotch, a smoke and some good friend. Enjoy!

Cohiba all the way. I have had a few different varieties and they always blow me away. There Rubustos are a great start for a newbie, not a huge cigar, nice smooth flavour. Then try out there Siglo range, talk to the guy in the smoke shope about the differnt flavours and try what sounds good to your pallete. Some like spicy flavours, some like sweet, some like earthy - some cigars even deliver all three. I've had a few nice Romeo y Julieta's, Bolivar make a nice cigar as well.

Most importantly learn to cut/pierce the cap correctly (do not chew off the end or cut a big piece) and light correctly so you get an even burn and good draw. Took me some trial and error and research, was hard to sort the shit advice from the good online.

What ive found so far is to use a fine razor blade like kinfe and cut the cap just cut around the edge barelly a mill or two in from the end. Once you have the cap off or pierced its a good idea to blow through the cigar, not hard like a balloon, but enough so you can feel the air coming out the other end. This will help with the draw, some say it can also get out impurites or some shit - I dont really buy it.

Then light the sucker. Some die hards will tell you to avoid gas lighters like a zippo because the fluid taints the cigar. The best way is to use a cedar strip, light that then use the strip to light your cigar. Wood matches are a simpler solution. Butane lighters (pretty sure Zippo now make one called BLU) are the next best, far more convenient. However for my taste buds I cant notice the bad taste of a regular lighter. What the pros do that I agree with is to be really particular about how you light it. The method I use is pretty much described - http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/lifestyl...nformation Your not scorching the end like a cigaret.

Some cigars, particularly if they have been rolled to tight and you haven't been puffing away too much will burn out. Thats ok, just re-light. Also you don't have to smoke the cigar all at once, flick the ash off, DO NOT stub it out but just let it sit and it should stop burning soon. Also in my experience most cigars good flavour diminishes rapidy with about 1/3 left - don't smoke it till your finger tips.

As for scotches to smoke with, for something affordable and light try Monkey Shoulder - its not a single malt, but its cheaper and tastes better than many single malts double even triple its price. I love Tamdhu for middle of the road. Either of those are also great for newbies and women. Glenmorangie's Nectar d'Or, Ardberg and Laphroig are all great for something with a bit more balls. I particularly like Laphroigs Quater Cask with a full bodied cigar. Suntory and Bailiie Nicol Jarvis are also options for lighter.
If your a bourbon man, Knob Creek or Basil Hayden are a fair substitute.

But take my recomendations with a pinch of salt in terms of both cigars and drink. Everyones taste is different, talk to the guy in the shop, hell talk you through the different flavors and notes each cigar produces and try one that sounds good to you. Just steer clear of the cheap shit - your better off saving your money and inhaling exhuast fumes in some cases.

solid cigar post +1, thank you

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 05:45 PM)Enfant_Terrible Wrote:  

Quote: (02-07-2012 11:05 AM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

I actually want to try out the Churchills precisely because of the size and maybe it'll last longer. (And for those of you reading this...a cigar is just a cigar in this case, get your mind out of the gutter [Image: smile.gif] )
Yeah the main thing with the length/thickness is the flavour it produces. Sure there is a longer burn time, but I think the longer length is supposed to give the smoke a different flavour due to the length/time it passes through the unburning tobacco.

Let's talk cigars

Shit how could I forget Davidoffs.

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 07:34 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

Anyone got any tips on cigar game? Can you bust out a stogie in any old bar are do you run to much of a risk of being "That guy"?

I've used them with much success at house parties before, I personally wouldn't take them to a bar as they take forever to smoke.

What I did at the parties (3 so far):
They were at various friends houses that I knew smoked occasionally at least. I asked them before hand if I could smoke some "awesome cubans" (younger people won't know the difference especially if you take off the label/tag and take that off or you look like a douche)

When I got to their house my friend was super stoked and told his friends that I had a cigar. I pulled it out ran it under my nose smelling it, looked at some girls in the corner smiled and lit it. Went over to them and started talking (got a makeout with one of the girls later in the night logistics were bad)

But basically you post up at the party looking badass with a big cigar, if you take huge drags it also looks super cool and the bitches love it. I had some girls approaching me asking about the cigar and how I knew the dude throwing the party.

Let's talk cigars

To me a cigar and glass of scotch is celebrating something, usually with the boys. I'm not doing it to pose or pull, its for enjoyment.

Having said that, the few times I have been smoking and women have been around most have been really intrigued. At one time I was celebrating with a few boys at one of there places when my boys roomate and a bunch of her mostlly lesbian, some bi, friends joined us enexpected. Because I was the guy showing my boys how to cut, light, smoke em and I'd provided the good the girls were all over me, asking if they were really from Cuba, whats it taste like, can i try. I didnt wanna share, there was one girl I was interested in so after strict instructions not slobber all over it 'get nasty with it Monica' I gave her a go with good results. Make sure if you do share you lay down the ground rules, one of my boys didnt and some chicks did the Bogart.

So from then I learnt - if I'll be smoking around women who are likelly to be in the target market, I buy some Minis. Cigarillos I think they are really called but Cohiba, Montecristo and I think Romeo Y Julieta call em Minis. They are about the size of cigarets and come in similar packet, but are made like cigars. I only tried the move once and the girls liked it and from the Cohiba i tried the taste was pretty fair. If you have the cash and really want to impress get some good Petit Coronas or Rubustos (Robustos are a little shorter but fatter than Coronas). They are your best bet, smaller size without looking like toys. Ask for ones with smooth flavours, (hints of cocoa/choc and cream are a hit) for girls who may be curious and want to join. I've personally had the Cohiba Robusto and would highlly recomend it for girls and newbies. The Cohiba Siglo II is a Petit Corona and a bit more ballsy, richer tobbaco taste with hints of spice, I enjoyed it, but maybe not best introduction. I also had a smaller RyJ quite a few years ago and really enjoyed it, I think it was a Petit.
Asks the girls if they have smooked a hookah before, if they have tell em they will be blown away, its much better. Stress its nothing like cigarets, you dont inhale the smoke. I hate cigarets.

Love to see someone really try and incorporate it as game and perfect it. Would really suit high flying, suit clad, business or working with model types. My experience is very limited, as I said its usualy just me and few of my boys celebrating somewhere quiet.

--

Oh and on the storage issue, I never keep mine for more than a week or two. Friend of mine got given some top of the line Montecristos for his 21st, kept them in little wooden gift box, put that in a big zilploc baggy and was saving them for another special occasion. He pulled em out 18 months later for a huge occasion and they were mouldy. Damn tragedy. Unless your an uber fan and are going to drop big dollars on a real humidor, smoke em when you buy them or risk loosing your money to grow some fungus, they need to be kept at precise humidity and I dont think there are many climates around the world that provide it naturally.

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

Let's talk cigars

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 05:48 PM)Enfant_Terrible Wrote:  

What scotch or brandy is good with the Hemingways?

Lately I've been drinking Glenmorangie Scotches, mostly the Lasanta and Quinta Ruban, aged in Sherry and Port Casks... But they're probably a little too sweet to properly complement the cigar. For the Hemingway series I usually have a bottle of Bowmore on hand, strong enough to cut through the cigar flavors, but not so strong as to hide them on your next puff.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Let's talk cigars

Quote: (02-07-2012 05:44 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

oh totally, every time I hit up the cigar bar I buy a fuente
everyone there recommended them and I can definitely see why
~7 bucks and they're excellent