rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ways to get a better income?

Ways to get a better income?

Become a software developer. You don't need a bachelor's in CS. It's possible to develop the skills on your own or you can attend a bootcamp to get you started. I wouldn't quit your day job, start with doing programming lessons at home and learning the basic skills. Then sign up for on online flex bootcamp that will fit your schedule before deciding to either pursue it on your own full time or attend a boot camp.

Boot camps range from 5-15k depending on online, part time, or full time. Some have financing options. They usually last 12-16 weeks for full time and part time ones are much longer.

Entry level software developers at FANG (Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Google) make around $100k + stocks + bonus. Total compensation (TC) is usually around 130-150k if you get $100k base, $20k restricted stock units (RSUs), and $10-20k sign on or annual bonus schedule. Microsoft, Amazon, Uber, and others will be similar. The lower tier ones will obviously pay less but if you go for other firms you may not have to work in the unpoosy paradise that is Silicon Valley or Seattle.

A friend of mine had an art history degree from a state school. He worked as a substitute teacher and community college IT assistant for 3 years before he went to a bootcamp. Through meetup.com events that were sponsored by his bootcamp he got hired at an IoT startup. He didn't start as a developer but was doing customer support for a year. During the entire time he was working on his programming skills and other IoT dev skills. Now he got hired by Garmin making $140 TC. It took him about 5 years of self study, boot camp, and doing customer service at a startup before he landed this gig. He's just shy of 30 but now his career is on a solid path and he loves the technology and problem solving that he works in.

Working in tech isn't for everyone but the salaries are insane right now. Main reason is because tech is what drives the US and global economy. Large tech companies have the highest revenue and competing with each other in massive markets. I myself have a traditional engineering background. Although I think it's harder to get this engineering degree compared to just becoming a basic software developer, the developers are getting paid more on average. Obviously lots of things depend on area of expertise, skills, and years of experience.

After a couple of years working as a developer you can then make a decision to go into product management or stay in the technical path. Both are viable.

Messages In This Thread