rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting a pet grooming business

Starting a pet grooming business

A lot of people with poodles or other types whose hair grows continuously need to have their pets trimmed. My parents had a Pekinese, and I've seen it looking shaggy before grooming, then coming back with bright white fur, nicely shaped, and a bow in its hair. It would take a lot of skill to achieve the same results yourself, and it's a messy job. However, having the dog look nice is so much better than having it look shaggy. I think this is one of the major markets for this type of service.

Also, places like this would have a self washing facility. We've used this with our dogs. Washing them in the shower or tub is a giant mess. It's worth it to pay the fee to use a nice raised sink that's big enough to fit the dog, then have a nice spray head and scented pet shampoos and conditioners, and a drying area.

The dog wash place we go to has a decent size facility in a shopping center. I can easily see how leasing a place like this, doing the build out for the retail area and cleaning area, and ordering some inventory for dog foods and accessories would run $100K, especially if you set aside money to hire and train new staff, and to cover operating expenses and marketing for a few months while the business gets established.

My wife did a business plan for a business like this for a college class she was taking, based on the place we were already using, plus her ideas of how to optimize the business opportunity.

I have to agree I see this more as a business a woman would own, and it would not be very high prestige for a man. Also, I think it would be risky, and it would be easy to find yourself never reaching the revenue levels needed to be profitable.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

Messages In This Thread